TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The Dark Knight

The interest in Dark Knight far exceeds that of Batman Begins. There was a lot of scepticism at the time for another Batman film, but those that saw it gave it rave reviews. I fully expect it will be one of those sequels in which it completely out performs the original.

It is more of a question mark than a month ago, but I still see it outgrossing Iron Man as well. Neither will make as much as Indiana Jones.

Batman Begins suffered from some dumbasses thinking it was merely a continuation of the prior series and no knowledge of its quality, despite 'net hype of it being based more off the comics than any of the other films. Dark Knight is coming off of the prior movie's critical (and box office) success, nearly a year's worth of solid viral marketing, the death of a main actor (Ledger), and hype for said deceased actor's portrayal of the main villain in the title's history. So now, I ask you: with all of this, do you REALLY think this movie, being released in the middle of the summer blockbuster season, won't beat Iron Man, a flick that has gotten rave reviews but with little following?

Adjusted for inflation, no Batman movie has opened to more than 83 million. Iron Man opened to 98 million, and opening that was better than many comic book movies with a more loyal following.

Iron Man had the advantage of coming out when people were starved for a fun summer tentpole movie. Batman will not have that luxury. Iron Man looked like a fun summer action movie, while Dark Knight has more of a brooding darker tone.

Don't get me wrong, Dark Knight will do phenomenal business, but I'm thinking 88 million

Eh, I'm banking on at least 95 million. Lot of hype, biggest superhero franchise film-wise...yeah.

Spider-Man is the biggest superhero franchise film. The top three highest grossing superhero movies are the three Spider-Man movies.

...there are five Batman films, albeit this new series is a whole different story. 5 > 3. Spider-Man may have top-gross, but Batman is still the one who reigns supreme, bitches.

Seven if you count Batman: Mask of Phantasm which was released theatrically IIRC

Or maybe you were counting that and you forgot Batman: The Movie with Adam West!

I'm sure The Dark Knight will be the highest grossing Batman film to date upon its release.

Seven if you count Batman: Mask of Phantasm which was released theatrically IIRC

Or maybe you were counting that and you forgot Batman: The Movie with Adam West!

Phantasm was the one I forgot. You're absolutely right.

I still believe that Phantasm is the best Batman movie ever made, followed by Batman Begins.

That's true, but I also consider Begins to be somewhat overrated. It's good, but mainly I think that what got people into it was that you could tell there was going to be a really great Batman movie coming... but Begins wasn't it. Which, by all appearances, is Dark Knight.

I still believe that Phantasm is the best Batman movie ever made, followed by Batman Begins.

I could see that. Ironically, it's probably by far the least successful of the recent movies ('89 Batman on).

People still really don't seem too into animated movies that aren't neccessarily for children. I wonder why that is but I guess it's another thread topic entirely.

Agreed, it was more faithful to Batman's character and mythos. Not to mention that the love story was one of the few I actually ever cared about in a movie.

EDIT: It WAS posted, discussed, and forgotten about...shit...

Anyway, for Harleen Quinzell, it would HAVE to be Melora Hardin. She has the wide grin already, and she looks like she could be an older psychiatrist who treats The Joker, and becomes obsessed with him.

Hell, I can already see it: She becomes so in love with him, she lets him carve her mouth into a smile, just to prove she loves him. And when The Joker gets killed off, have Harley Quinn go on a rampage, screaming "He killed Mr. J!!" in that kind of tormented lover way while running around with Jokers machine gun, while she's crying maniacally, her joker makeup is running, making her look even scarier.

Wow, I just got chills.

I am baaaaaaaked.

I can't wait to watch the interrogation scence between Batman and Joker. July 18th can't get here soon enough.

Comcast Channel One OnDemand has a Dark Knight section starting today. You can watch the first three trailers, a new alternate trailer (not the Verizon one), the three featurettes they had on their website, and a new episode of Gotham Tonight with Mike Engel (Anthony Michael Hall) featuring Harvey Dent's campaign manager, current DA Roger Garcetti, and Dana Worthington.

New Joker stuff from the trailer:

(At the party) "I'm looking for HARVEY DENT. (He stalks towards Rachel) I'll settle for his loved ones..."

"When the chips are down...these...civilized people will eat each other alive. You'll see. I'll show ya."

Anyway, for Harleen Quinzell, it would HAVE to be Melora Hardin. She has the wide grin already, and she looks like she could be an older psychiatrist who treats The Joker, and becomes obsessed with him.

yes yes yes yes! THIS. she would be perfect.