TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The Dark Knight

I'm part of the 'waiting for the crowds to thin' group, which from talking to my friends and family is a pretty huge amount of people. Between everyone who's seen it not having a bad word to say about it and the fanboys who are sure to see it over and over, I can see it being #1 next week and I wouldn't be suprised if it's well beyond 300 mil in a few weeks.

My brother in law went at 4 on saturday night to get tickets and they told him better luck tomorrow, and that was a theatre that had 2 showings every hour on the hour.

The X files movie picked a really bad time to come out. There doesn't seem to be the buzz for it there was once partly because all the attention is going to TDK, and I agree with people saying TDK is going to hold onto the top stop for a couple of more weeks.

I'm part of the 'waiting for the crowds to thin' group, which from talking to my friends and family is a pretty huge amount of people. Between everyone who's seen it not having a bad word to say about it and the fanboys who are sure to see it over and over, I can see it being #1 next week and I wouldn't be suprised if it's well beyond 300 mil in a few weeks.

My brother in law went at 4 on saturday night to get tickets and they told him better luck tomorrow, and that was a theatre that had 2 showings every hour on the hour.

In retrospect, I wish I waited a few weeks to see this movie. Not that it wasn't kick ass good, but my friends wanted to see this so badly on Friday night that we had to buy tickets on Tuesday, get to the theatres almost 2 hours in advanced and then find out that the lineup to get into the cinema was OUTSIDE the theatre. We had to wait over an hour out there and to cap it all off, it started raining outside too on us. The movie was good, but I'll never need to see a movie so bad that I must wait outside in the rain to see it.

Nolan's Batman movies are better on repeat viewings. I liked Begins and I LOVED The Dark Knight at first viewing, I will most likely enjoy this more on repeat viewings, since I can pick up more details. I too will probably watch this movie all the time when it comes out on DVD. I don't know why some people say this movie wasn't fun. The action scenes were much better than Begins, and it had a lot of mind games that were fun to watch. I also liked how this movie was very scary at parts too, like The Joker's theme which sounds like a siren getting louder and louder, you knew something bad was about to happen to somebody.

I also thought the scene where Dent wakes up in the hospital and feels the scarred side of his face, while having flashbacks to Rachel, and then see him screaming while muted to the creepy siren theme was very scary and haunting.

Did anyone else think that was effective?

I am still too blown away to write a review or opinion on Dark Knight yet. But...I will add my .02 for casting of future bad guys...

I really liked THE PRESTIGE alot, and loved the chemistry between Bale and Hugh Jackman. Jackman for Riddler? Maybe not as an all out villian, though.

If Riddler was going to be an all out villian...Crispin Glover.

Also...I don't think Dent/Two Face is dead. I think they hid him away...since only really Batman and Gordon know what happened...

Because it's the weekend estimates. The studio's estimate how much the film is going to make for Sunday based on tracking and data.

I still don't get it. It can't even be $4mil off? Can't the studio just add 4mil to the estimate to beat the record?

I am still too blown away to write a review or opinion on Dark Knight yet. But...I will add my .02 for casting of future bad guys...

I really liked THE PRESTIGE alot, and loved the chemistry between Bale and Hugh Jackman. Jackman for Riddler? Maybe not as an all out villian, though.

Also...I don't think Dent/Two Face is dead. I think they hid him away...since only really Batman and Gordon know what happened...

Again, it was confirmed in the book that he died.

But I am confused about one thing- Gordon said that Harvey had killed five people, including cops- asid from the one old cop, Maroni and the driver, who else did he kill?

Well, you know, you can't always trust the book. Jurassic Park said Ian Malcolm died, and he came back.

True, but in that case the movie was based off of a book, and they changed a lot of things. In this case, the book is based off of Nolan's screenplay, so it's pretty much spot on.

I feel you. I still kind of take the viewpoint that if they wanted to they could change it, but I guess he's already got his mind made up.

Because it's the weekend estimates. The studio's estimate how much the film is going to make for Sunday based on tracking and data.

I still don't get it. It can't even be $4mil off? Can't the studio just add 4mil to the estimate to beat the record?

The grosses for this weekend are estimates based on tracking and information they've already gathered through other kinds of data.

So they have estimated that TDK made $155 million. Could they be 4 million off? Sure, but no studio executives have called it into question, and most estimates are usually $1-2 million off at most.

If it does turn out to be the Riddler for the third film, and I really hope it isn't, I do have faith that Nolan will go with the criminal mastermind Riddler and not the bumbling buffoon Jim Carrey Riddler.

If you can trust it, Wikipedia says: While doing press for The Dark Knight, Gary Oldman alluded that the Riddler could be the villain in the proposed third film. David Tennant has expressed an interest in the role.

It also says: Nolan explained that as long as he is directing, he is not including Robin in the franchise because Bale is portraying a "young Batman", which meant "Robin's not for a few films". ... Bale joked "I'll be chaining myself up somewhere and refusing to go to work" if Robin is introduced.

That's good, IMO.

There's some other stuff here about Catwoman & Penguin's potential according to Goyer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_%28fil...29#Nolan_series

Again, it was confirmed in the book that he died.

But I am confused about one thing- Gordon said that Harvey had killed five people, including cops- asid from the one old cop, Maroni and the driver, who else did he kill?

I just assumed it was two other cops that we never saw...

Checking out the late showing of it tonight, I figure the crowd will probably be at its' lowest of the weekend then. Tried going Saturday in the afternoon and it was sold out all afternoon, so who knows.....it will probably still be a full house tonight.

Did the marathon of all past Batman movies, and I'm ridiculously pumped to see this now. I hadnt seen Batman Begins in a few years (went and saw it in the theater twice, once in a regular theater and another time in the IMAX, plan will be the same this time with TDK) and it held up extremely well, as actually did the Batman 89 film. The rest were definately not up to par with either BB or the original Batman.

If it does turn out to be the Riddler for the third film, and I really hope it isn't, I do have faith that Nolan will go with the criminal mastermind Riddler and not the bumbling buffoon Jim Carrey Riddler.

This is the sad thing about the Riddler. Most people in the normal public don't realize how much potential he has as a villain. The criminal mastermind Riddler would work very well with the tone of the series.

Now here's the thing about a sequel. Warner Bros is obviously going to want one because of how much it took in this weekend alone. But I feel that any movie they make now....no matter whether they use the Riddler, Catwoman, the Penguin, or anybody else...and no matter what celebrity they cast in these roles....will be seen as a disappointment. This movie had so much going for it -- Heath Ledger's brilliant performance, the emotions surrounding his death, the hype of this being his "best role ever" -- that the next sequel just won't have. The next villain will be compared to The Joker in this one and I just can't foresee how anybody will be able to live up to that benchmark. Maybe I'm wrong and the next one will turn out to be bigger and better and more critically acclaimed and make more money, but I think people fell so much in love with this film and the entire situation surrounding it with Ledger that when the next one comes out in three or four years, critics and moviegoers will be saying "Eh, it was good....but not nearly as great as the last one."

Keeping that in mind though, they WILL be making a sequel.

And if I'm writing the screenplay for the next one, I'm casting Angelina Jolie as Catwoman -- it's like the character was custom-made for her. And Jim Carrey as The Riddler -- he's not the same actor he was in 1994. I think now he can pull off the mysterious, dark side of this character, whereas he could not fifteen years ago. Keep him legitimate and realistic, dress him up in the olive-green suit from the comics, and I think we might have something here.

I'm with you NYU RE: A sequel. This one was almost so good that I want them to just leave it at that but it's inevitable that it will happen. I said it before but there has never been a good second sequel to a superhero movie (Now that I think of it- how many good second sequels have there been period? I know people will respond "as long as Nolan has got control over the movie without studio interference and Christian Bale is in it than the movies will be awesome." I'd agree with that BUT I have a feeling we were all saying the same thing about Sam Raimi and Toby Maguire in the immediate aftermath of Spider-Man 2.

But if there HAS to be one, I'd like to see The Riddler as the bad guy. Obviously the mysterious, criminal mastermind not the Frank Gorshin/Jim Carrey nerdy buffoon. Catwoman isn't a bad idea but I think the Halle Barry abomination is still too fresh in the memories of moviegoers. Then again the sequel is coming out in two or three years, so maybe we'll have all gotten over it.