TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The Dark Knight

No recast. At least I hope not. Joker really isn't necessary. From what I heard he was just going to be in Arkham most of the time anyway talking to Batman. But we got the deal with Joker. He'll always be there. I say we go with Oswalt Cobblepot, the new mob leader, and the Riddler who is also a pretty viable villain (why not just have Johnny Depp play the Riddler?).

One way to go with a third film would be furthering a theme introduced in the second one with the "Citizens for Batman" militiamen: people taking up Batman's example. The logical extreme is another cape, a more extreme one, who'll do what Batman has shown he won't: that would Huntress. Unlike a lot of the Batclan, whose origins would be hard to fit in a "realistic" setting (Robin/Nightwing, Batgirl), Huntress starts out as an adult, with no support from him (in fact, he doesn't trust her). She's essentially a mirror image of Batman, except her dead dad was Gotham's underboss, so her crimefighting is basically attempting to tear down her dad's work.

I'm not a fan of the mob plots. I just think they feel hackneyed. I'd rather see Batman deal, like in TDK, with supervillians. I think that the whole mob thing just got in the way of the Joker.

I'm still having a hard time (having seen it twice now) separating the movie as a whole from Heath Ledger's performance. I'm gonna call it top ten for me, probably, but I honestly didn't even like it more than There Will Be Blood, and that was so recent... this has been a good couple of years for movies.

Actually pbone's idea for a straight ahead Long Halloween adaptation isn't bad, except it's a long ass timeline and they've already blown their wad on Harvey Dent. You know what other storyline I could see adapted? Bruce Wayne: Murderer?

One way to go with a third film would be furthering a theme introduced in the second one with the "Citizens for Batman" militiamen: people taking up Batman's example. The logical extreme is another cape, a more extreme one, who'll do what Batman has shown he won't: that would Huntress. Unlike a lot of the Batclan, whose origins would be hard to fit in a "realistic" setting (Robin/Nightwing, Batgirl), Huntress starts out as an adult, with no support from him (in fact, he doesn't trust her). She's essentially a mirror image of Batman, except her dead dad was Gotham's underboss, so her crimefighting is basically attempting to tear down her dad's work.

Yeah, I'm glad someone thought of this idea too.

I was gonna mention Huntress as a possibility...but I fell asleep before I got the chance.

Also...if they do decide to bring Joker back...now that he's in Arkham, there's the possibility at hinting at a Harley Quinn, right?

Actually, I thought that al of those impostors running around was the perfect way to celar Batman's name. Some wackjob starts comiiting crimes in a batsuit, gets caught- viola, Batman is cleared of the crimes he took on in Dents name.

With the Rachel situation what it is, I'd be surprised not to see Catwoman in the third installment if not just to have a female presence. I for one would prefer a sexy cat burglar be the one to tempt Batman/Wayne's heart rather than some trite Girl-Of-the-Week like in the original 4. I'd also like to see a cool, serious version of arms dealer Penguine, but I doubt they'd to another Penguine/Catwoman teamup

To join in on the casting fun here's my picks for new supervillians:

Catwoman: Asia Argento, Maria Bello

The Penguine: Ray Winstone, Tobin Bell, James Gandolfini

The Riddler: Crispin Glover, Nicholas Cage

Mr. Freeze: fucking Arnold Schwarzeneggar :lol:

My biggest concern with the third one is that it follows the original four's mistakes by having EVERY villian just a cheap knockoff of the Joker. With Heath's performance so acclaimed I hope we dont get a completely demented, unkempt Penguine like we got a moronic, laughing Two-Face and Riddler from Batman Forever (seriously, did Jones and Carey just watch 89's Batman and go "well, that seemed to work, I'll just do it exactly the same?)

love,

cheex

The L.A. Times had an article about "who will Batman fight next?" It was pretty interesting to read, they had 8 villains of choice: The Riddler, Bane, Black Mask, Hush, The Ventriloquist, Killer Croc, Man-Bat, and Catwoman. I would be pretty interested in seeing the Ventriloquist get film treatment, since I think he would be a good follow-up to the disturbing and haunting tone of The Dark Knight, and also like The Dark Knight, it would make a great psychological movie too. After all, I did think the Ventriloquist had the best episode in the animated series.

I'd say save Bane until Nolan and crew decide to end the franchise. Base the entire last movie on Knightfall, with the introduction of Jean-Luc in the one before it, Bane destroying Batman in the first half hour of Knightfall, and the rest of the movie being Jean-Luc as Batman as Bruce recouperates, with the last 20 minutes or so dedicated to Bruce and Jean-Luc battling it out. Throw Bruce saying something to him that Dent said ("you either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain"), and we got a tie-in to the other flicks.

I can't see any good coming from focusing the next movie on an Iron Man rip-off with a flaming sword and assassin brainwashing from the Secret Order of Saint Dumas Or Whatever, even if he's revealed to be the long-lost captain of the Enterprise-D.

The Penguine: Ray Winstone, Tobin Bell, James Gandolfini

Tobin Bell, WTF? Didn't Bob Hoskins express huge interest in wanting to play the Penguin? I heard he also wanted to do it because he wanted to work with Nolan as well, so I would cast him.

My biggest concern with the third one is that it follows the original four's mistakes by having EVERY villian just a cheap knockoff of the Joker. With Heath's performance so acclaimed I hope we dont get a completely demented, unkempt Penguine like we got a moronic, laughing Two-Face and Riddler from Batman Forever (seriously, did Jones and Carey just watch 89's Batman and go "well, that seemed to work, I'll just do it exactly the same?)

I doubt we will ever see that shit again. Its pretty obvious that Nolan respects the characters.

Yeah I think Knightfall has a chance at working, though I don't think you need Jean-PAUL in there.

One problem is that they already did the "Arkham gets blown open and all the inmates get out" part in the first movie, which was so integral to Knightfall.

I'm guessing the next movie will have Batman's status as a fugitive as a big driving factor in the plot. I'm also not convinced that Harvey is dead.

I think Talia would be a really good love interest/villian for the third part. Also, they should totally have Scarecrow back again to get very quickly busted by Batman.

Yeah, that kinda reminded me of knightfall with Batman Begins. I think Talia is pretty much worthless though without Ra's Al Ghul. Catwoman/Selina Kyle would make a much more logical choice.

Talia could still act as a catalyst to Ra's return in the same movie, though. Ra's could have Talia move in on Bruce as a love interest, just to bait him along and screw him over in the end.

Aside from that, I also agree with someone else when they said that the Halle Berry Catwoman fiasco may be too fresh in people's minds to do that character again. If they're going to introduce a love interest, it doesn't necessarily have to be a villain, though. Why not make it Huntress? She's the next obvious step in terms of civilians acting as vigilantes and not cutting it.. to civilians acting as vigilantes and actually kicking some ass at it. It'd be an interesting twist, IMO.

I think David Goyer and Christopher Nolan have both hinted that they're only doing three movies (and you'd have to believe Christian Bale wouldn't do a Batman movie). So this next one should have some sense of closure to it.

I liked the idea of having a group of Batman inspired vigilantes running amok in Gotham City in the next one. They sort of had that early on in TDK but I'd like to see it played up more. Incidentally, in the midst of Bat Fever a couple days ago, I was reading an early draft of Batman Returns and that was a subplot.

I think the only possibility to for the next movie to have a chance at topping this one, is to have someone like Johnny Depp play the Riddler. I don't think people would get excited over any other less known actors playing other villains.

I'm not sure you really want a big name star (which Depp qualifies as these days) in the movie. Even Ledger wasn't on that level, and everyone else in the movie still has the ability to blend into a role without difficulty and without ever seeming like they're just playing themselves. This was especially true of Ledger and Oldman in this one. Adding a big name for the sake of it is too close to the failings of the 89-97 Batman series.

Back on Oldman: I was really amazed by his performance, as even moreso than in the first movie he was just part of the scenery, perfectly unrecognizable and expert. Behind that mustache he's 100% Gordon, and there's nothing close to an inkling of the more flamboyant Oldman of The Professional/5th Element/Harry Potter/Dracula/etc. Remarkable work from one of the best, even by his standards.

I think the only possibility to for the next movie to have a chance at topping this one, is to have someone like Johnny Depp playing the Riddler. I don't think people would get excited over any other less known actors playing other villains.

I disagree with the Depp nod. The Riddler's pretty insane and all-out, and I don't think that's the right pick for Depp. Look at his most famous roles. Jack Sparrow, Edward Scissorhands, Sweeny Todd, the kid who got eaten by the bed in Nightmare on Elm Street. All pretty reserved characters. With the noticeable exceptions of Raoul Duke and Willy Wonka, but somehow, I just picture the role being closer to the Carrey interpretation. Haven't seen him act much, but I like how David Tennant just looks for the part.

And for the record, please stop berating the actors, like Carrey, for ruining the characters in their respective movies. Those were choices in direction, writing, and production. Ledger did an awesome job as the Joker in this one, but he was pointed in the direction by Nolan, the producers, and the writers. He took it the rest of the way. If they cast him in, say, Batman Forever, and told him to play a silly, crazy Joker, then it would be a different movie, of course. But the choice was made to focus on the personality and subtleties of the Joker's dynamic rather than just have him be a laughing maniac.

Continuing, Nolan struck gold with the direction he pointed the Joker in. He was, underneath it all, just an "engine of chaos" in makeup. He wasn't a traditional Marvel supervillain in the sense of having superpowers, nor did any freak accident take place, nothing like that. The success of the Joker role is going to point to the selection of the next villain. For me, that rules out villains completely out like Mr. Freeze, Scarecrow, Killer Croc, Bane, or even Ra's al Ghul. Besides, weren't The Scarecrow and Ra's al Ghul already in Batman Begins?

I wouldn't bother introducing Azrael into a potential Knightfall movie. They do in fact need to redo Bane in the worst way though. Just have Batman chase down all the goons from Arkham, then Bane breaks his back, then we get a powerful plotline of Batman coming back from the near fatal injury to take out Bane.

I don't want to watch a movie of Bruce Wayne rehabilitating for half of it.

Oh man, not even over a killer 80's inspirational montage? LIVE TO WIN BATMAN! LIVE TO WIN

I liked the idea of having a group of Batman inspired vigilantes running amok in Gotham City in the next one. They sort of had that early on in TDK but I'd like to see it played up more. Incidentally, in the midst of Bat Fever a couple days ago, I was reading an early draft of Batman Returns and that was a subplot.

Is this the one where the main plot is a treasure hunt? That's one of my favorite, laughably bad unproduced scripts. But at least The Penguin wasn't a mutant in it.

So I was able to see The Dark Knight twice over the weekend. It really did things to me that no other movie has done. There were parts where the twists and music and camera work left my head spinning. And I don't mean it was making me motion sick. I honestly couldn't wrap my head around everything that was happening. I'd almost say it was something guttural. I was barely able to talk afterwards. To simply surmise my point, I loved it. Sure, there are a few things that stick out to me, which I'll probably address after I hopefully see it in Imax. Nothing major, just a couple of minor flubs/plot holes. Not that they subtract anything from the finished product.

There is one thing I want to mention, since no one I've told this seems to understand. You can only see it in one, maybe two shots, but the year on Harvey's lucky coin is 1922.

Is this the one where the main plot is a treasure hunt? That's one of my favorite, laughably bad unproduced scripts. But at least The Penguin wasn't a mutant in it.

I'm not sure---only read about a third of it cause it was late at night and it wasn't good enough to make me stay awake until 4 AM reading it. It was written by the same guy who wrote the '89 Batman.

Edit---After checking wikipedia, it was the one where The Penguin and Catwoman went after buried treasure. Now I'm kind of wishing I stayed up to read the whole thing.

i think they should stay away from 'knightfall'. people seem to be gravitating toward that because it showed most clearly that batman could be vulnerable, but nolan is progressively pushing away from the standard "put the hero and/or the ones he loves in danger" stuff in really clever ways. 'knightfall', to me, would be the batman equivalent of the "hey, they kidnapped/hurt/killed professor x" story in the x-men franchise or the "hey, they kidnapped mary jane YET AGAIN" story in spider-man.

also, am i the only one who thinks bane is kind of a shitty, one-dimensional villain?

There wasn't much of that in this movie, but I totally agree.

that's more from a comic standpoint, I haven't seen this movie yet, will here eventually.