TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The Dark Knight

It's way too early to seriously predict Oscar nominations but I will say that Ledger's Joker is probably the best villain in a movie based on a popular comic book. Really, it's no contest. The only one who's in the same ballpark IMHO is Alfred Molina in Spiderman 2

I'm holding it right up there with DDL as Daniel Plainview and ironically Christian Bale as Patrick Bateman as one of my favorite acting jobs ever.

Pics or it didn't happen. That's the rule.

Ledger won't get the oscar nod. Don't get your hopes up. I'd see them doing it maybe as just an honorary thing, but he's not a main character, and he's not a really supporting character. He did a great job in that role, but the Academy's nods just don't go to parts like the Joker. Not to mention he didn't even have very many lines.

I think it would be more realistic to expect a nom to Oldman or Eckhart, but it's still pretty farfetched.

How about Sean Young? Ha.

One thing that may well have been mentioned on previous pages but I'll ponder here is this:

The Joker wires explosives to both of the boats, one with the convicts and the other with civilians. He gave each boat the choice as to who would blow the other's boat up. Neither boat ever blew up because Tiny Lister tossed the detonator out the window for the cons, while the one businessman dude refused eventually for the civilians. Does anyone think that The Joker was playing a ruse on both of them, and if one had actually pushed the button that it would NOT blow the other boat up, but instead their own boat as a sick punishment of sorts? Obviously this never happened, but it made me wonder.

I was actually thinking that maybe both the explosives were duds but your suggestion probably would've made more sense.

Finally was able to see the movie this afternoon. It was easily the best comic movie I have ever seen. Like everyone, Ledger's performance as the Joker was breathtaking. His mannerisms were outstanding and he made me believe that he was that crazy.

However, I totally loved Eckhart's performance as Harvey Dent. The storyline his character went was breathtaking. You could believe that the man was going to be the white knight that would save Gotham. His transformation into Two-Face is so sad. In the comics I have always felt that he was the most sympathatic of all comic villians because the fall from grace he had.

Eckhart has become one of my favorite actors in all of Hollywood right now.

I'm partial to her masturbating in the bathroom in Secretary :lol:

yes.

I also agree with Barron. If there was a Joker recast people would be pist off and would not go, or at least not buy into the Joker recast. I think they should try a new villian and stay away from the Joker as much as possible.

He's fucking dead, it's not like he just turned the role down.

I'm telling you, man, Johnny fuckin' Depp. Who's gonna hate on Johnny Depp? And DDL would just do it good enough that you couldn't hate.

But whatever. This is recasting for a bit part anyway. Hell, have Jack Nicholson do it. That would be clever.

I could see Depp playing the role but even with Depp playing the role I think just recasting the Joker could have a big backlash as fans would still be pist off about it, but then again if Depp does a wonderful fucking job then the fans would just have to shut the fuck up and get over the recast and enjoy the fucking movie. :D

I don't get why fans would be pissed. They'd rather never see The Joker again than let someone else take a shot at it? Those are their only options.

Yeah, I'd much rather never see him again. I mean, what more do you need from the Joker, and why would you want something that's not going to be as good as Ledger was? It's pointless.

I too, think Depp is the only way to go, but if the Joker didn't have that big of a part in the next movie, then why not just write him out. We know he's at Arkham, so its not like they forgot about him. Oh and also,

Two-Face is dead. They even mention it in the novelization, and I think it makes the downer ending work better.

Back to the Lizard analysis. I know the first Spider-Man mentions him, and he's actually a character in the next 2 movies, they never hint at all that he's going to transform into the Lizard. I think its a good call that he will appear as that in the next movie though. In The Dark Knight, they actually set up Catwoman for the next movie. Plus I think Warner Bros. would want us to forget about that 2004 fiasco, so they might want Nolan to have her in the next movie. Does anyone else think its funny that the god-awful Catwoman movie came out the year before Batman Begins? I mean they basically tried to kill one character's popularity, and then revive another.

There's no set in stone story for the next movie - they may have had an idea for Joker to be in the next one, but it wasn't even written yet. There's no reason to recast someone for what was essentially just an idea. Writers write, its their job, so they can just write him out.

How do they set up Catwoman for the next movie? Because of a one liner in the first hour?

Actually, I was thinking since

Rachel dies

, and also it fits well with the theme of Batman inspired villains. She can be a love interest too as Selina Kyle, and be a villain thats not really all bad, and helps Batman at times. She would fit well into Nolan's complexity of the series. As for the main villain? I go with the Riddler's current character in the comics. It fits well with the ending of The Dark Knight, and he also could be a bad guy who does good. As for my casting choice, I pick Hugo Weaving.