TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The Dark Knight

I agree with everything bps said. Two-Face wouldn't have been interesting at all if he was in the next movie. I found the hospital scene with him and the Joker to be one of the best scenes ever in a movie. It was just powerful. To show you what I mean about Two-Face, is that he was a very interesting character in the Long Halloween, and he only showed up in the last chapter, and turns himself in to Batman and Gordon, and gets locked up at Arkham. Now the sequel Dark Victory, pretty much sucked ass, and Two-Face was in that whole entire book!

Christ, I meant it in the "he was there and gone" sense comparing it to the Venom storyline in Spider-man 3. Sorry but for me, the Two-Face ending was just kinda a whimper in a film that didn't need a whimper. Yeah, I "got" the storyline and that Joker proved his point but that doesn't mean I need to enjoy it. I liked the character of Harvey Dent but the whole Two Face turn just didn't feel powerful enough in a turn that SHOULD have felt stronger. Maybe I couldn't buy Aaron as a villain but it felt flat as hell.

He should have felt much cooler/stronger with the car scene and shooting Batman but he still didn't for me. He just had a background scenery feeling about him for a character that was the true major focus of a film. The fall of a hero is a great storyline but something didn't click for me.

And I still don't agree no one can play the Joker again. Someone can and they might even do better. But not in the very next film, not a chance. It's impossible right after Dark Knight, just impossible.

Is there any real point in going back to The Joker? Do they seriously want to end up like the Superman series with Lex Luthor constantly having to be in every movie because they haven't built up another villain to be viable?

If Two Face is in fact dead and the Joker is in Arkham (or not even in the next one), it's time to do Bane...and this time do it right.

Only way to make Bane awesome would be to do Knight fall which includes releasing all the criminals...which included the Joker if I am not mistaken. Even if it didn't, you still have to explain the lack of Joker if he released everyone at the asylem.

Otherwise, Bane is a terribly uninteresting big guy.

I think the riddler is the way to go. Only with him doing Saw like riddles instead of swinging around a cane with a spandex suit on.

Add in Catwoman as a love intrest and there you go.

The thing with Two-FAce in this movie- yes, he obviously had a dark side. But when he went homicidal, it wasn't because his face got fucked up. IT was because the woman he loved was killed, and dirty cops- whom he TOLD Gordon there were- wer involved. Everyone he killed was in revenge for everthing he lost. Once thta was done, as Harvey himsef said "There is no escape!" I think, if he had finished, he either would have killed himself, or turned himself over to the police. So there would have been no where to go if they used him in the next movie.

Who would play Bane? Is there any steroid freak who could actually act?

Well does Bane have to be a white guy or would you shit on a black guy getting cast like people shit on it for The Kingpin?

king3.jpg

Bane was from a fictional Latin-American or Spanish island or town, IIRC. And his father eventually turned out to be King Snake, who was always depicted as white. I was thinking he had some Latin-American mix to him, though.

Bane was from a fictional Latin-American or Spanish island or town, IIRC. And his father eventually turned out to be King Snake, who was always depicted as white. I was thinking he had some Latin-American mix to him, though.

you're probably right, I haven't read a lot of Bane involved Batman stories...I stopped reading Bats in the mid-80s and switched over to Spidey and the X-Men, so what the fuck do I know?

Javier Bardem = Bane

Javier Bardem = Bane

I could buy that, but they'd have to change up Bane as a character.

If it was like the Burton/Schumaker era, they would consider Batista for the role. Nolan would definitely want a good actor and not use much in the way of prosthetics or CGI. It might be impossible to have Bane in the series unless they went with a seriously toned down version of his size.

I have never understood the popularity of Bane, and why people want to see him again in a movie. Sure, he's a smart villain, and defeated Batman, but the guy's a fucking coward. The dude realized he couldn't beat Batman in a real fight, so he released the asylum on Batman, so then he would be tired both mentally and physically. Meanwhile, look at the Joker in TDK. He enjoyed pain, and wasn't afraid at all of dying. In fact, he thought both were funny. You won't see Bane stand out in the street and yell, "COME ON, HIT ME!"

I think the riddler is the way to go. Only with him doing Saw like riddles instead of swinging around a cane with a spandex suit on.

That's actually a really cool idea. I mean, obviously not going to be as gory as Saw is.. but just as sinister and twisted.. that would be pretty interesting.

The Dark Knight raced past the $200M mark on Tuesday after only five days becoming the fastest film in Hollywood history to reach that milestone. The old record was eight days and was held by three films - 2006's Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, 2004's Spider-Man 2, and 2005's Star Wars Episode III. The latest Batman saga grossed a stellar $20.9M on Tuesday, off 15% from Monday, to raise its total to $203.8M. It was also the second biggest Tuesday gross in history after the opening day of Transformers last July which brought in $27.9M.

The Christian Bale starrer has also broken the opening week record even though it still has two days left in the period. That benchmark was set in July 2006 by Chest which grabbed $196M in its first seven days. Dark Knight is on course to finish its debut week with a jaw-dropping $235-240M. That means that if the superhero sequel can post a second weekend decline of 60% or lower, it will crack the $300M threshold on Sunday after a mere ten days smashing yet another record. Chest currently holds that record as well doing the deed in 16 days.

Warner Bros. got off to a 17% larger opening weekend with Knight compared to Disney's Chest. Now after five days, Batman is running 20% ahead of Captain Jack's pace. Knight's midweek total from Monday to Thursday now seems on course to reach roughly $80M which is an amount most other summer blockbusters never even reach on opening weekend.

For 2008, The Joker and pals already have the fourth biggest grosser trailing Paramount's trio of Iron Man, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and Kung Fu Panda. At its current pace, Dark Knight will surpass Panda on Wednesday in its sixth day, and will soar past the other two next week becoming 2008's highest grossing blockbuster in less than 14 days of release. A final tally north of $400M now seems all but guaranteed given the continued box office muscle being displayed.

Be sure to check back on Thursday for continued coverage of The Dark Knight's record-shattering opening week.

http://www.boxofficeguru.com/072308b.htm

I have never understood the popularity of Bane, and why people want to see him again in a movie. Sure, he's a smart villain, and defeated Batman, but the guy's a fucking coward. The dude realized he couldn't beat Batman in a real fight, so he released the asylum on Batman, so then he would be tired both mentally and physically. Meanwhile, look at the Joker in TDK. He enjoyed pain, and wasn't afraid at all of dying. In fact, he thought both were funny. You won't see Bane stand out in the street and yell, "COME ON, HIT ME!"

Perhaps because having every villain be the same would take the luster off?

Bane was smart and did something that no one had done before. That is not cowardice. Cowardice would have been not facing Batman even when he was tired. Out of all those other times where people stood toe to toe with Batman, how did that work out for them?

You won't see Bane stand out in the street and yell, "COME ON, HIT ME!"

That was one of the things about Joker that was so fucking brilliant in this movie. He was willing to let Batman kill him since it would bring Batman down to the level of a killer. Same with Harvey, Joker put the gun to his own head and let Harvey choose (or the coin) whether to pull the trigger. He didn't care about his own life but rather fucking up everything else as much as he could.

Then there was the maniacal laughing as Batman tossed him off the building even though he was plummeting to his death, or thought so at least.

That's actually a really cool idea. I mean, obviously not going to be as gory as Saw is.. but just as sinister and twisted.. that would be pretty interesting.

but that's pretty much already what the joker did--elaborately constructed booby-traps designed to force people into impossible decisions. it was already stretching the limits of plausibility how far ahead of everybody else he was thinking (getting caught on purpose with an escape plan, the sheer amount of architecture he had to rig with explosives, etc.).

i mean...maybe you can write the riddler to be smarter and more rube goldbergian than that, but i don't know if you would really want to.

but that's pretty much already what the joker did--elaborately constructed booby-traps designed to force people into impossible decisions. it was already stretching the limits of plausibility how far ahead of everybody else he was thinking (getting caught on purpose with an escape plan, the sheer amount of architecture he had to rig with explosives, etc.).

I'm pretty sure he didn't get caught on purpose, just that once he did get caught his people sent the guy in with the bomb inside him. It was Joker's contingency plan if he did get arrested.

but his plan couldn't have worked otherwise, cause it was only by getting caught that he was able to tell batman where rachel & dent were. his line was something like, "i'm going to tell you where they are. and that's the point."

Wow, so Dark Knight will likely surpass 300 million by this coming Sunday......with that said, is anyone a little more open to the idea that it just might become the number one box office attraction of all time, at least domestically? It's almost half way there to Titanic, which I think is 600 million. At this point, I think it's very well possible given that this is one of those movies that probably is and will continue to have the best word of mouth in a film in a long time, which will keep people coming in.

but his plan couldn't have worked otherwise, cause it was only by getting caught that he was able to tell batman where rachel & dent were. his line was something like, "i'm going to tell you where they are. and that's the point."

Yeah but I think that play was an audible since he was trying to kill Dent with a rocket launcher right up until that point.

Maybe his plan could have used some more explaining... but then, as he said, he wasn't really a "man with a plan" and was more like a dog chasing a car, not knowing what to do with it if he caught it.

Wow, so Dark Knight will likely surpass 300 million by this coming Sunday......with that said, is anyone a little more open to the idea that it just might become the number one box office attraction of all time, at least domestically? It's almost half way there to Titanic, which I think is 600 million. At this point, I think it's very well possible given that this is one of those movies that probably is and will continue to have the best word of mouth in a film in a long time, which will keep people coming in.

Titanic got a huge boost by the Oscar nominations, plus it had 0 competition for like months. So it was kind of a freak of timing that it made so much money.

I think $500 Million is the ceiling for this movie. Titanic had teenage girls going to see it 10-15 times. Even the craziest of all the crazy bat fans out there won't be doing that for TDK. You also have to remember that Titanic had almost NO completion during it's box office run. Bats has plenty of comp with a few decent looking R rated comedies and The Mummy 3(which I think will knock TDK from it's number one spot). I would be happier than anyone if TDK could sink Titanic, but it doesn't look likely.

Titanic got a huge boost by the Oscar nominations, plus it had 0 competition for like months. So it was kind of a freak of timing that it made so much money.

Still though, no other film has gotten this much box office take this quickly, and is there any question this movie will have legs? All it's going to take is another week of, say, another 100 million take, putting it at near 400 million after two weeks of release, and then even if it takes in 25 million each week thereafter until the end of the summer, its almost there.

It's way too early to seriously predict Oscar nominations but I will say that Ledger's Joker is probably the best villain in a movie based on a popular comic book. Really, it's no contest. The only one who's in the same ballpark IMHO is Alfred Molina in Spiderman 2

Bring me the son of Jor-El.

Other than that, I pretty much agree.

One other thing is that Titanic didn't have the DVD market to deal with like films do today. DVD's come out so soon after the movies hit theaters and people are so into buying them that it does take away quite a bit from the theatrical releases.

If I were guessing I'd say TDK takes out the original Star Wars for 2nd place and maybe cracks 500 million, but won't beat Titanic.

The fact that people are even entertaining that thought is a testament to this movie though.

One other thing is that Titanic didn't have the DVD market to deal with like films do today. DVD's come out so soon after the movies hit theaters and people are so into buying them that it does take away quite a bit from the theatrical releases.

And to go even further with that, I would say that with HD and surround sound now, there are alot of people that would rather buy the dvd/blu-ray copy of the movie and just avoid the crowds/high price of theaters. With HD and surround, they can almost emulate the theater experience.

Remember that movie, The Iron Giant? Didn't that stay in theaters for like 4 months?

It's way too early to seriously predict Oscar nominations but I will say that Ledger's Joker is probably the best villain in a movie based on a popular comic book. Really, it's no contest. The only one who's in the same ballpark IMHO is Alfred Molina in Spiderman 2

The Spider-Man villains are shit compared to the Joker in this movie. I think the Joker was the best movie villain ever in this movie.