TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The Dark Knight

Guest Vitamin X

Gary Oldman. In, like, anything. I always get a kick out of him playing a bad guy. So much that, seeing him play a good cop in this film saddens me.

Norman Stansfield: Benny, get me everyone.

Benny: What do you mean, "everyone"?

39bbd3489dba737e23fa80fcb6d5f1ce.gif

Norman Stansfield: EVERYONE!

scarface.png

There was money in that ventriloquist's dummy!

No touching the dummy. No touching!

I demand Franklin be part of his gang.

Words can't describe how much I love all of you right now. Awesome

Gary Oldman. In, like, anything. I always get a kick out of him playing a bad guy. So much that, seeing him play a good cop in this film saddens me.

HaHa! I saw that same scene the other day on TV, and I started laughing really hard. Gary Oldman is awesome. Most movie villains though are still in control of what they are doing. Some are either not insane, or if they are, they still have morals they follow. The Joker pretty much had no morals in TDK. He simply wanted to cause anarchy just for the fun of it. There also was no real way to defeat him either. You hit him, he laughs, you kill him, he laughs and welcomes it. Even though Batman caught him at the end, I don't think Batman ended up winning.

harry lime in 'the third man'.

Oh Harry Lime and his shoddy medicine operation. ;) I love that he was the hero in the radio drama, though.

HaHa! I saw that same scene the other day on TV, and I started laughing really hard. Gary Oldman is awesome. Most movie villains though are still in control of what they are doing. Some are either not insane, or if they are, they still have morals they follow. The Joker pretty much had no morals in TDK. He simply wanted to cause anarchy just for the fun of it. There also was no real way to defeat him either. You hit him, he laughs, you kill him, he laughs and welcomes it. Even though Batman caught him at the end, I don't think Batman ended up winning.

Actually, you could make the case that the Joker absolutely won. Think about it- if word had gotten out about what Dent had done, his reputation would be dead, all the criminals he locekd up would be freed, adn Gotham would loose hope. So Batman takes the blame- and is no longer a symbol of hope himself, which was played up throughout the movie. So Batman's rep is shot, Harvey is dead, and the city will still loose hope.

Two points to the Joker.

Well, the Joker getting caught and put in Arkham is the only happy part of the ending. So Batman did win in some way, but just lost on everything else. I really liked the downer ending. Its just so appropriate for Batman. The previous 4 movies always had to have a happy ending, and it felt cheap, although the last 2 were obviously going to.

Saw the film last night. I enjoyed it, but felt it didn't live up to the hype. Sure it was a great film, but the hype made it out to be "DA BEST MOVIE EVA~!" and it wasn't.

Was Ledger good? Yes he really was. Could anyone else do it? Well not [/i]anyone[/i] but I felt that the charactersation of The Joker surpased the performance. The script for him was ace and his story arc was great.

Bale was pretty average, Eckhart was pretty damn good (I was really impressed with him) and I loved the Nolan Two Face look.

They sure got a lot in this film didn't they? It was long but didn't feel over-long.

I need to see it again to view it without the hype tinted glasses. I'll have a better opinion on the film then.

I think he was referring to the 4 movies before Batman Begins.

Yes, I was referring to the previous series. I didn't think Batman Begins had a happy ending at all, other than Batman of course saving the day. That's the way Batman stories should be, he stops the villain, but everything else is lost.

Saw the film last night. I enjoyed it, but felt it didn't live up to the hype. Sure it was a great film, but the hype made it out to be "DA BEST MOVIE EVA~!" and it wasn't.

Don't ever see a movie believing the hype. It always turns out bad. I went into TDK with my brain cleared of hype, and I thought it was a great movie. However, when I went to see Spider-Man 2, I was excited as hell, and I ended up really disappointed. You will most likely enjoy TDK more on a second viewing, since now you know what to expect.

I don't like the idea of any big name taking on a villain role in the next movie. The source material and direction of the original movie franchise obviously contributed to the sour taste left by most of the villains. But even the first two movies are affected by the big name star in the villain role. As much as I like Batman and Batman Returns, there's never any doubt that you're watching Jack Nicholson play the Joker or Danny DeVito play the Penguin.

I'd rather get someone who can embody the character. I don't care if he or she is a big name. Depp and DDL would likely do the character justice, but it doesn't strike me as the role either guy would take. Moreover, I really don't think the Joker needs to be brought back. He's my favorite comic book villain, but I think his point was made in TDK. Were Ledger still alive, I wouldn't mind seeing the Joker resurface as a supporting villain, but he doesn't need to be the lead in another movie.

People who are disappointed for this living up to the hype of being "the best movie ever" are as dumb as the people who proclaim this to be the best movie ever.

Now don't get me wrong, this is a great movie and perhaps the greatest superhero movie of all time. Maybe even an outside contender for one of the best movies of this year but to call it the best movie ever is downright absurd.

Yeah but I can have the opinion to disagree with other people's opinions.

But I think regardless of opinion, I think we can all agree that it's stupid to go into movie expecting "the best movie ever". Expecting it to be really good? That's fine but I don't think I've ever gone into a movie expecting it'd be the best anything.

Expecting, ok fine. But, if after I see it, I proclaim it to be the best movie I've ever seen, you have no real reason to get pissy about it. I'm just wondering if we're not allowed to say this because it's a new movie? Or is it because it's not Citizen Kane (which I own, and love, btw)? ;)

Pissy was the wrong word to use about use. Befuddling is more like it. Personally, I just don't see how one could claim something so new could be the best ever. It's disregarding the watchability and lasting impact factor. Again, it's a personal opinion. I'm hardly the arbitrator of good taste on TSM (I say this as I stare at my copy of Muppets From Space on DVD).

Actually, you could make the case that the Joker absolutely won. Think about it- if word had gotten out about what Dent had done, his reputation would be dead, all the criminals he locekd up would be freed, adn Gotham would loose hope. So Batman takes the blame- and is no longer a symbol of hope himself, which was played up throughout the movie. So Batman's rep is shot, Harvey is dead, and the city will still loose hope.

Two points to the Joker.

I think Joker ultimately lost because the ferry people didn't blow each other up. He seemed to justify what he was doing in the film, by claiming he just ahead of the curve and showing people their true nature. The look on his face when he realized they hadn't killed each other was very telling. I thought that was one of the best joker moments: he was heartbroken, dissapointed and intrigued at the same time.

I think Batman won because he had his belief in the people of Gotham vindicated, and by accepting the blame, saved the city's soul, which is what him and the joker were mainly fighting over.

Kind of a stupid point, but since this is the highest grossing Batman film, and the only one without the name "Batman" in the title, do you think they'll make a point to keep Batman out of the title in the future films?

I could see the studio being Superstitious like that.

Well, the only title to the next movie I could come up with is "The Caped Crusader", since its Batman's other nickname, and plus it sounds cool. I also like it being mentioned in TDK.

Well, the only title to the next movie I could come up with is "The Caped Crusader", since its Batman's other nickname, and plus it sounds cool. I also like it being mentioned in TDK.

The Dark Knight Returns.

;)

The Dark Knight Returns.

;)

Only if we get "I'm the goddamn Batman" into the script.

...yes, I know that was "All-Star Batman & Robin the Boy Wonder", but I read it's the same universe as that series.

The Dark Knight Returns.

This depends if they ever want to adapt the story to film though. I know I might get flamed for this, but I didn't like that book.

...yes, I know that was "All-Star Batman & Robin the Boy Wonder", but I read it's the same universe as that series.

:lol: That All-Star Batman & Robin series was a disaster wasn't it? I mean, why would Miller think that line would be a good idea?

The Dark Knight Returns.

This depends if they ever want to adapt the story to film though. I know I might get flamed for this, but I didn't like that book.

:lol: That All-Star Batman & Robin series was a disaster wasn't it? I mean, why would Miller think that line would be a good idea?

Because it was?

In fact, thinking about I could have totally seen it in a Dark Knight. Joker says something to the effect of "who do you think you are?" or something, and Bale in his growl voice hits him with a "I'm the Goddamn Batman!" that would have been awesome.