TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The Dark Knight

Sweeney Todd was shit. It was all trying to fit a movie around a certain aesthetic. Which is Burton's thing, I guess, but that doesn't mean it makes for a strong movie. Depp is a surprisingly good singer though.

You know who would be a good Nolan Batman villain? Sewer King.

If he went the more obscure route I'd rather see Wrath or Tally Man.

Sweeney Todd was shit. It was all trying to fit a movie around a certain aesthetic. Which is Burton's thing, I guess, but that doesn't mean it makes for a strong movie. Depp is a surprisingly good singer though.

Really? I thought Sweeney Todd was awesome. Very bizarre movie. A musical thats very violent and bloody, even funny at times. Thats about the only musical I can watch.

Burton just needs to stick to original scripts and his own stuff. When he 'adapts' something he fucks it up. I'm still pissed about Planet of the Apes.

That was terrible. I also didn't like Charlie and The Chocolate Factory or Sweeny Todd.

I've not seen Ed Wood, I'll have to check it out and see if it's the good apple of the shitty Burton bunch.

Sleepy Hollow was garbage too. I've never seen Sweeney Todd though.

I loved Sleepy Hollow. I actually own Sweeny Todd, but haven't seen it yet. I saw it at the St. Louis Rep way back in my High School days, and remember it being good, but creepy.

I think I'm one of the few folks that liked Burton's Planet of the Apes. I thought Tim Roth gave an incredible performance.

Same 'ere. I own that movie and ain't ashamed either. Just a really interesting take on the whole idea... Also, I can't be the only one that thought the human love-interest who is so boring I forgot her name was a complete waste of screen-time though. Right?

Well, I own all of the Apes films, and I'm not ashamed either. I think Battle and the remake suck, but there not terrible like people make them out to be. There just unspectacular. Come to think of it, I couldn't think of any movie Tim Roth was in after that remake, before the new Hulk movie.

I'm sure it will soon be discussed in the forthcoming Box Office Thread, but The Dark Knight is estimated at $314,245,211 so far, after an estimated $75+M weekend. That smashes even more records (10 day, fastest to $300M, etc), and puts it $700K behind Iron Man for second highest on the year. So far, $16.5M is the lowest daily total the movie has done in its first 10 days.

I got all of this from Box Office Mojo.

I've always been a fan of Eckhart and Gylennhaal so its great so see them in such a big hit, hopefully their careers will take off now. Eckhart, in particular, deserves more leading roles.

Yeah, I thought Eckhart was great in this. Some people actually say that he carries the movie. I think Harvey Dent is meant to carry the movie though, since its his story arc being told. Its good to see that Batman is the main character in his own movie though, since no one was overexposed, and got the right amount of screen time.

Matt Damon? Ugh! That would have been terrible. He wouldn't be believable at all as Harvey Dent. I think it was interesting that Liev Shrieber was considered for the part. He actually looks dead like Dent from the Long Halloween.

I could see him being "the white knight" very convincingly but I couldn't buy him as Two Face.

Saw the movie again today... first movie I've seen twice in theaters since The Matrix Reloaded... just as good the second time.

For a Joker recast, how about Patrick Swayze?

He would be one of the last people I could see in that role.

Why not Steve Gutenberg?

For a Joker recast, how about Patrick Swayze?

He would be one of the last people I could see in that role.

Why not Steve Gutenberg?

...you're one of the Stonecutters, aren't you?

I try not to come forth as overly rude on this board but Patrick Swayze as The Joker is one of the worst fantasy castings I've ever heard. I really hope whoever suggested that was kidding.

I try not to come forth as overly rude on this board but Patrick Swayze as The Joker is one of the worst fantasy castings I've ever heard. I really hope whoever suggested that was kidding.

I'm assuming the suggestion had to do with his cancer and him supposedly dying soon. In which we would be in a similar position again, in regards to Heath Ledger, if another Joker died.

I no longer refer to myself as Milky, as Milky represents the ugly, hate-filled man I was. Representing my new beginnings ("What's that, the feminine hygiene spray?"), I have rechristened myself as Nighthawk.

I take for granted the knowledge that Harvey Dent is Two-Face. I've seen this in theaters three times and there have been many people at every showing who fancy themselves masters of deductive reasoning and start whispering "Two-Face, Two-Face" after Dent gets burned. You can't expect everyone to know all about the Dent character, but anyone who's picked up a Batman comic with Two-Face in it, seen the animated series or hell, even been vaguely familiar with the character knows that Two-Face was once Harvey Dent.

Tha's pretty fucked up. I've brought up the Killer Croc/Tiny Lister idea before, and been asked about it after the show, but a question about Harvey Two Face? That's fucking stupid.

Only way I could see an offbeat guy like Mr. Freeze making an appearance is if you completely reimagine the character in the Nolanverse. A guy with a Frigidaire space suit and a Slurpee gun is not going to fit well in the established storyline.

Imagine if Mr. Freeze were Gotham's top conflict diamond smuggler. He intimidates his underlings by using liquid nitrogen on their hands and breaking off digits Yakuza-style. You could use him as Batman's first opponent after the movie's opening scene (do a short sequence establishing the villain, Batman attacks, Batman beats the villain's henchmen and puts down the head villain). If we were casting this tomorrow, I'd use David Banner in this role. Give him a Scarface look (suits, pimp cups) with an ice blue motif and a great deal of bling. Some platinum grills with Paul Wall diamonds would give his character a distinctive look and tie into the "ice/diamonds" theme. Plus, you could bring him back at any time or write him off via some poetic justice (Freeze gets frozen with his own liquid nitrogen).

I could see the mob being a significant part of the storyline for any character in the Nolan films because it makes sense in real life too. Supervillains can't just place an ad on craigslist to get some henchmen.