TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The Dark Knight

Saw it again, kind of wanted to walk out after the scene on the rooftop...

Agreed. I saw it again this week and after the Joker got his screen time I thought about taking off myself. It's a shame they took a serious Batman bad guy like Two Face (who could carry an entire movie as a main bad guy) and just used him for like the last 1/4 of the movie

It's a shame people still don't get why they did it that way...

No no, I get it entirely. Ledger's Joker was such a killer performance that it overshadowed every other story in the movie.

Ugh. Ledger's performance was great perhaps even iconic but I think lost in all of this fawning over Ledger is how great the cast was from top to bottom. With the exception of Maggie Gyllenhaal, every featured player was good to great. I can't disagree more with the rising sentiment that this movie is the Scent of a Woman of superhero movies.

Exactly. Ledger was good but the script is what made Joker what he was. Several actors could have acted psychotic and giggled a lot. Eckhart was just as good and the last scene is maybe the best in the film.\

I didn't know some of you were into necrophilia the way you have Ledger's cock up your ass.

I don't think Ledger's performance has overshadowed the film at all. Its not like the 89 Batman where the Joker was the only good part of the movie. Lots of people that have seen TDK love it, and not just because of Ledger's Joker.

I didn't mind him as Dent at all, but the character didn't mean anything in the movie. Thats the thing with the 89 Batman, its the Joker's movie and nothing more, as Batman is treated as an afterthought in his own movie.

People say that a lot... "his own movie". But it doesn't have to be his movie just cause it's named after him. They couldn't very well release the movie as "The Joker" could they?

Two-Face is not interesting enough to get his own movie. Watching Harvey Dent devolve because of the Joker A) causing chaos in Gotham, B) killing Rachel and C) cutting him loose on Weurtz, Ramirez and Maroni is what made his arc in TDK so interesting. Likewise, the Joker's grand idea was to take Harvey Dent and make him fall off his pedestal. Joker and Two-Face needed each other to make the plot interesting. Ledger and Eckhart turned in great performances. It worked. Two-Face getting his own movie wouldn't.

Wrong. Two Face is the best villain Batman has. He's better than the Joker, but the Joker is more iconic. The Joker, portrayed as he was here, is an absolute, an idea, Harvey/Two Face is a fully developed character, probably the most interesting one besides Bruce Wayne himself.

Consider the medium. You're basing this claim on volumes of comics, I'm talking about a movie. Dent's development could not have been done in film as well as it was without the Joker, no matter how good a performance Eckhart turned in. I agree, the story of a fallen hero (Dent) is more interesting, but it needed a catalyst (Joker).

People say that a lot... "his own movie". But it doesn't have to be his movie just cause it's named after him. They couldn't very well release the movie as "The Joker" could they?

Yes, but even though TDK had the Joker in it, with an even better performance from Ledger, it didn't feel like the Joker's movie, as I thought that Batman was the main character.

Two-Face is not interesting enough to get his own movie. Watching Harvey Dent devolve because of the Joker A) causing chaos in Gotham, B) killing Rachel and C) cutting him loose on Weurtz, Ramirez and Maroni is what made his arc in TDK so interesting. Likewise, the Joker's grand idea was to take Harvey Dent and make him fall off his pedestal. Joker and Two-Face needed each other to make the plot interesting. Ledger and Eckhart turned in great performances. It worked. Two-Face getting his own movie wouldn't.

You are absolutely right. Two-Face I don't think can be a main villain in a movie, since he wouldn't do anything interesting after his first rampage after getting scarred. Its like what I said about the books Long Halloween and Dark Victory. In Long Halloween Two-Face is only in the last chapter, but makes a huge impact, then in Dark Victory he's in the entire book, but didn't do anything interesting.

Any word on Box Office? I am interested in seeing how TDK holds up against The Mummy.

according to boxofficemojo Friday's estimates are

1.The Mummy 3 $15,322,000

2.The Dark Knight $12,600,000

Oddly enough on boxofficereport.com they still have Dark Knight winning the weekend just barely over The Mummy 43 million to 42 million. I don't get how they came up with that with those estimates though, unless those are off.

And yes, the first movie in a series called Batman needs to be his own movie. It would be like if you had Spider-Man and then gave all the major screen time to The Green Goblin. For the criticisms I've made on Batman Begins at least Nolan realized that there finally needed to be a movie with Bruce Wayne himself as the strong central character.

Like I said earlier, I wouldn't be completely surprised if TDK edges out The Mummy 3. The reviews I've read have been rather mediocre and the fans reaction apparently isn't much better. And has anybody on this board actually seen The Mummy 3? You think a well advertised, big budget sequel to a successful movie franchise would generate some discussion.

Two-Face is my favourite Batman villain, but in terms of a film there isn't really anywhere to go with him other than perhaps a redemption storyline and that is clearly not what Nolan intends. The Dark Knight used Two-Face the way he should be used. Also, Dent's now been in 3 films out of six since 1989. I'd rather see someone else that hasn't had as much exposure or that was completely ruined the first time (ex. Penguin, Bane).

The Mummy 3 isn't getting mediocre reviews, its getting BAD reviews. RottenTomatoes.com has it at like 10 percent, so I don't think anyone is going to see that now. Hell, people didn't want to see it anyway, but they might have bit if it didn't get badmouthed that much. However, now that they've heard its terrible, I think they're just staying away from it. I even went back and watched the first 2, and I completely forgot how fun those movies were. I think the first one is actually a pretty fun movie, and Returns wasn't as good, but it had its moments. But looking at the trailers for the new one, I just got the "Why?" vibe from it, as it looked nothing at all like a Mummy movie.

Weekend estimates are out, and TDK is number 1 for the 3rd weekend in a row. It just missed the 3rd weekend record.

1. The Dark Knight $43,800,000

2. The Mummy 3 $42,450,000

I wouldn't be surprised if TDK's number went up a little though. They have underestimated TDK Sundays for 2 weeks in a row now.

Damn, we gotta keep going to this movie. That shit is embarrassing to have Titanic as the number one grossing movie for your country. It was an alright movie, but that's pretty gay.

I always enjoyed Titanic, fun movie.

It'd be cool to see the record broken. I like tracking The Dark Knight's all-time gross adjusted for inflation