TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The Dark Knight

By the way, Cher could portray Catwoman as an aging socialite obsessed with plastic surgery, like that lady who looks like a cat. She could even date younger men (like Bruce Wayne, who would be her junior by around thirty years). That's right. She's called Catwoman....because she's a cougar, you see. I guess instead of a crime drama, the next movie could be like a documentary.

I really hope they don't get Angelina Jolie as catwoman. She's a terrific actress but can you imagine the premiere?

'Oh, look at Brad and Angelina...oh my God! Its brad and Angelina!!!! Can you believe it! And they brought their kids!! Aren't they adorable!.........oh, and apparantly there's a movie about batman or something.'

I wonder if Johnny Depp will even do a movie where he doesn't have to put on a British accent... ;)

Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Before Night Falls, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Don Juan DeMarco, Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, Donnie Brasco....

Need I go on?

Need you go on? Could you be any more pretentious? Seriously, not that it matters to me - nor am I looking to march in any stupidity parades around here this week - but, do I really need to clarify the comment? It's a knock at the fact that, for the past five years, he only seems to have roles where he has a British accent. All of the films you quoted are older than 5 years... I think the only role that doesn't fit that since Once Upon A Time In Mexico was the Willy Wonka role.

Need you go on? Could you be any more pretentious? Seriously, not that it matters to me - nor am I looking to march in any stupidity parades around here this week - but, do I really need to clarify the comment? It's a knock at the fact that, for the past five years, he only seems to have roles where he has a British accent. All of the films you quoted are older than 5 years... I think the only role that doesn't fit that since Once Upon A Time In Mexico was the Willy Wonka role.

Seeing that the 3 Pirates of the Caribbean movies have been a majority of his work in the past five years, I'm not sure that mocking his use of an English accent is valid. The only movies he's worked in other than those since 2003 have been 3 Burton films (Sweeney Todd, Corpse Bride, and Wonka) the Libertine and Finding Neverland. Most of which are set in England.

I'm glad Jim Gordon had received so much attention with Nolan's treatment. In all the pre-Nolan films, he was practically an extra.

If it makes you feel any better, I thought it was funny.

I would have brought this up last month (when discussing The Dark Knight was relevant;)) if I had been online, but there's one thing still bothering me about the movie. When Lucius is updating Bruce on his new armor and asks him about the cell phone project, Bruce says "I'm playing this one pretty close to my chest". Then, when Gordon gets Dent out of the armored truck, Dent looks at him and says "You do like to play things close to your chest, don't you?". Did the Nolans mean to make that a running line and forget about it? Is there a deleted scene where Batman says it to Gordon who then says it to Dent? Or did I miss something? It's a line that really sticks out, since Dent is saying it like Gordon has told him that in the past.

Some minor sequel news from a Hollywood Reporter article on TDK:

A DVD release of the film is said to be planned for the holidays (the studio won't confirm a date). And Warners and Legendary are both interested in doing a third in the series, but all involved say it will be up to Nolan to come to them with a story and a plan.

"There are a lot of us who emotionally would love to do it," Roven says. "But it's really Chris' call. Chris is the kind of filmmaker who just doesn't think about the next movie before he has completely finished the movie he is working on."

For now, Nolan is taking a well-earned vacation.

Says Roven, "When he comes back, we will see how he feels."

I just came back from seeing this in IMAX. For those who haven't seen the movie in IMAX yet, I stronly reccomend it. The aerial and wide shots alone are worth the ticket price.

If it makes you feel any better, I thought it was funny.

I knew someone would appreciate it. :P

I would have brought this up last month (when discussing The Dark Knight was relevant;)) if I had been online, but there's one thing still bothering me about the movie. When Lucius is updating Bruce on his new armor and asks him about the cell phone project, Bruce says "I'm playing this one pretty close to my chest". Then, when Gordon gets Dent out of the armored truck, Dent looks at him and says "You do like to play things close to your chest, don't you?". Did the Nolans mean to make that a running line and forget about it? Is there a deleted scene where Batman says it to Gordon who then says it to Dent? Or did I miss something? It's a line that really sticks out, since Dent is saying it like Gordon has told him that in the past.

Might be more a play on the good guys don't trust each other and are usually one man armies. It's a very DTA universe. Everyone protecting themselves, trying to bring down evil by themselves and overall keeping even the ones they think they can trust out of the loop.

To reply to bob's post, I got an email at work saying The Dark Knight would be on dvd on Dec. 12.

I think I'll just buy everyone copies of TDK for Christmas this year...its safer that way.

To reply to bob's post, I got an email at work saying The Dark Knight would be on dvd on Dec. 12.

That doesn't make alot of sense though. 12/12 is a Friday. Though, we also got a similar notice saying 12/9 for TDK.

In response to the "playing it close to the chest lines," I thought it was pretty obvious. Batman kept telling Gordon they needed to know if they could trust Dent. The first part of the movie is Batman and Gordon slowly letting Dent into their war on crime. They only wanted pure people who would not leak info or be dirty. The irony of this is that Dent knows of corruption in Gordon's unit, which eventually bitews them in the ass and scars Dent and gets Rachel killed. That is why Dent goes on the revenge parade and targets Gordon at the end.

As for the specific line about playing it close to the chest, it might not have been said to Dent by Gordon, but Gordon wouldn't let Dent know what was going on with the 5 banks or let him know some of the other things. It even took a while for him to get to meet with Batman. That is where Dent's line to Gordon comes into play later in the movie. Gordon and Batman had the plan that no one else knew about.

I hadn't thought about the "close to the chest" line until it was brought up here.

I don't think Batman and Gordon were working together on that, because Gordon's apparent death sparked Bruce wanting to hang it up.

So I think it might be a little thematic thing.

I think whether or not Batman knew is one of the more ambiguous calls to make. I don't think he was in on it. Unless crashing and nearly getting killed by the Joker was all part of the plan.

www.the-editing-room.com has been one of my favorite sites for years. He finally got around to The Dark Knight. Check it out.

By the way, the first few pages of this thread are really funny in hindsight.

No one communicated with each other on that situation.

1) Dent did it as a tactic to try and reveal the Joker, hence all the cover and the SWAT guys. They took the obvious route so the Joker would be able to find them (which covers that plot hole) so they could nail him.

2) Gordon initially "killed" himself so he could operate without his family being in danger. The situation obviously offered a great opportunity, which is why he (secretly) became involved.

3) Batman definitely wasn't involved in it. Bruce was ready to reveal himself at that meeting, so he wasn't working with Dent. And, as noted, he was angry about Gordon's "death". The reason that he was there was, just as everyone had figured out, the Joker was almost definitely going to be there, and that he was going to make a move on Dent.

Before the Gordon reveal, I could totally tell that guy was going to be somebody, but it never even occured to me that it would be him. I was all like "Ok, what are they setting up here?" And then like "OOOOH SHIT!"