TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

Albums that are unlike any other album in a band's discography

Cabaret Voltaire-Groovy, Laidback, and Nasty

DJ Shadow-The Outsider

Guest MRK

Samhain 'Initium'

from beginning to end, there has never been anything else like it.

Samhain_Initium.jpg

Twiztid - "Freek Show"

r.e.m.'s 'monster' is the biggest one i can think of.

I disagree. It isn't too different from what they were doing on Document and Green, though with 90s-alt rock production (and shittier songs).

Goodbye Cruel World, by Elvis Costello & the Attractions, was the band's sole concession to contemporary pop radio (this was 1984): overproduced, drum machines and big (and now) horribly dated synths. These guys also did a pretty straight collection of country covers, Almost Blue, a few years prior, a feat they thankfully never tried to replicate, given how horrible the end result was. I suppose I could also place the maudlin balladry of All This Useless Beauty here, but I won't. Even though it's billed to the band proper AND all of them play on it, it's more or less an Elvis Costello solo album in sound and execution. No wonder they broke up again after recording it.

Destroyer's Dan Bejar, on Your Blues, dropped his Bowie-fixationâ€â€and use of a live backing bandâ€â€from his earlier records, and embraces theatrical and Very Gay MIDI synths. The Destroyer album that followed brought back the live band.

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell

Every album after it is more simple, straightforward riff-heavy shit, whereas this was mostly guitar wankery. Every album before it was glam cheese, but this has a lot of the power-groove stuff that the band would perfect with Far Beyond Driven. CFH really stands out from the rest of the Pantera albums.

There was a common enough thread in the Faith No More albums, I'd say. The Real Thing and Angel Dust weren't that stylistically different, outside the latter being a little darker and "weirder" and Mike Patton singing mostly in a lower register than he had previously.

As for Mr. Bungle, California wasn't that far removed from Disco Volante; the self-titled, however, outside Patton's distinctive vocal style, seemed to have been the work of a different band.

Speaking of Patton, you could throw in "Director's Cut" from Fantomas as a unique outing, since their other releases are more Zorn inspired cut up music, even "Delirium.." to some degree. Speaking of Zorn, perhaps "Absinthe" from Naked City.

I know I'll probably get slammed for this but I'd hate for this thread to end without a mention of KISS' concept album ( a soundtrack to a movie that was never made), Music From The Elder

Here's the infamous video for the album's single, "A World Without Heroes", which was co-written by none other than Lou Reed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCFhDBNkJs0

I know I'll probably get slammed for this but I'd hate for this thread to end without a mention of KISS' concept album ( a soundtrack to a movie that was never made), Music From The Elder

Here's the infamous video for the album's single, "A World Without Heroes", which was co-written by none other than Lou Reed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCFhDBNkJs0

I was gonna mention that. Why would you get slammed?

yeah, outside of the occassional song here and there, King for a Day and Album of the Year aren't too far off from Angel Dust.

So in that respect, you could say that "real thing" is the album that is different from the discography. It's just a straight forward rock album (with the exception of "suprise, your dead".

Off the top of my head:

Primus - Antipop (and its shit)

Cave In - Antenna (and for the better)

White Zombie - Super Sexy Swinging Sounds (for obvious reasons)

Cave In - Antenna (and for the better)

I've heard little Cave In, but I can't imagine any of it sounding much like Jupiter. Or being as brilliant.