TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathon

Somebody Sell Me On The "Blade" movies...

Never read any of the "Blade" comics, and the third movie looks interesting and got favorable reviews. What's the appeal of these movies? Are they worth my time? I recently got into the hype of "Buffy", and am curious for a different take on vampires.

Consider it like the Highlander series where the only good movie is the first one while the rest is "the search for more money" deal. Blade, in the first movie is your basic anti-hero who is out for his own interest that being killing all vampires he does not care about hurting or killing innocents he simply kills everybody that gets in his way. There is a strong supporting cast of Stephan Dorff as the rouge vampire scheming his way to become the leader of the vampire underground, Kris Kristofferson as the mentor/sidekick to Blade inventing new weapons to use against the vampires, Donal Logue bringing the comedy as the vampire footsoldier and general dumbass, Tracy Lords looking hot as usual. The fight scenes is your typical action fare with a HK action style influence added to the mix so expect sword play with limbs flying off and blood squirting everywhere and guns shooting unlimited amounts of ammo it is watchable and does not distract from the movie where as you can't just say "Hey why is everybody moving so fast or that stunt double screwed it up". Part 2 has a new breed of vampire that is scaring the shit out of the vampire mafia if you will so they go out of their way to ask Blade for help Ron Perlman is the co-star. Part 3 well it has Van Wilder playing action hero and has some wrestlers making cameos in it.

I liked #2. Good action scenes, freaky creature effects, and Ron Perlman being a giant asshole. I don't think I've disliked any Guillermo Del Toro movie, but this is among his least. Contains a very silly suplex and elbow-drop. A couple of really bad (but very short) full Cg action clips, where the physics look like Virtua Fighter.

Blade one needs only one reccomendation: At climax of the movie, Blade defeats the bad guy, and out Arnie's Arnie with the non sequiter

"Some motherfuckers always tryin' to ice-skate uphill."

#3 is awful.

I hated the fight scene in Part 2 where Blade first meets the vampire messengers the whole scene looked like a video game with the girl vampire jumping around at a fast rate looking like Chun Li from SFII, really crappy CGI. Some movies don't need sequels.

Go buy Ginger Snaps but only the first one or that Christina Ricci horror movie.

Fuck the haters. The third one has a vampire pomeranian and more gratuitous iPod plugs than any single person can handle. For the sheer comedy purposes alone, you should see the third one.

I thought the first one was pretty good and the third one was a joke. The second one is comparable to Mummy 2 as the action was turned up to 11, but the storyline and plot kind of sucked.

Yeah, the opening fight in Blade II has horrible CGI in it, but beyond that, it's actually pretty damn cool

Oh, and Blade II has Cat from Red Dwarf~!

I liked Blade 3 for FINALLY making Dracula into a Warrior like being instead of some fancy pants little pussy in a tux with make-up on. Plus it had Jessica Biel in tight pants and shirt, which is always a joy to watch. Not to mention Triple H and Ryan Reynolds dueling comedy lines.

I personally think Blade II is the best in the series. The first film has some jarring moments but in some parts it really kinda drags. Blade: Trinity begins to focus more on other characters although I do enjoy Ryan Reynolds in it. Still, it's obviously the weakest.

Blade II has some truly freaky vampire villains, gives Whistler his best role in the series, and the action is great. I dare say it's one of my favorite comic movies, if Blade is considered as such.

I always found it odd that Blade would have his own movie though. To me he's just one of the Nightstalkers along with Hannibal King and Frank Drake (I think that's the 3rd guy). Among the Midnight Sons titles I think Ghost Rider obviously should have had a movie first, but I guess time and effects needed to catch up for that.

First and second are both pretty good.

I'm a sucker for movies that have a diverse cast of heroes and/or villains. I like the oddball gallery of bad guys in Blade 2. Blade Trilogy was just utter dreck.

I don't understand this "sell me on [insert movie]" threads. It's a frickin movie! It will take a couple hours out of your time to check it out, if it sucks then oh well. If it's cool, then you were entertained for a little while. It's not like you're buying a car, or only get to see one movie a year and have to make it a good one.

It's like you're a king or something "People tell me why this movie is worthy to be viewed by my eyes!!!".

Get netflix and watch any damn thing you want.

Whoa there. I just wanted to know what the consensus was on these movies. I don't have a lot of free time, or a lot of money to throw at things that are not worth it.

I could have easily titled this "Blade: Discussion", and it would have meant the same thing.

Whoa there. I just wanted to know what the consensus was on these movies. I don't have a lot of free time, or a lot of money to throw at things that are not worth it.

I could have easily titled this "Blade: Discussion", and it would have meant the same thing.

I can understand such a post. But if you're low on money and time for movies, just download 'em.

Anyway, I can't give my opinion on 2 or 3, but I really loved the first one. Great action and characters, and how can ya not love Stephen Dorff as the rebellious badass?

Blade is a good trilogy, all three are worth watching, but I agree that Part 2 is the best of them.

The opening rave scene in the first Blade is pretty cool.

I don't remember much else about those movies. Come to think of it; I don't really remember much about that rave scene, but I'm feeling like I thought it was cool at the time.

Blade is a fun movie, Dorff really helps as the dickhead bad guy.

Blade 2...eh...action-wise, it's top notch. However, the SUPER BADASS vampire team was a total letdown. Seemed like some cool characters and they pretty much get totally wiped out in one sequence. Plus, Blade was such a gullible shcmuck in that movie. Okay, so you spend almost your whole life wiping these things out, then suddenly you decide to side with them only to end up getting double crossed....come on Blade...

I tried watchig Blade 3 and just couldn't get through it all. I like Parker Posey but she was really annoying. Triple H was just as bad as he is on wrestling. Ryan Reynolds, yes I understand he was there for comedy relief, but the amount of one liners he was spewing was too much to bear.

I find ryan renolds to be annoying in anything he does.

I just find him really bugging.

I liked the first one well enough, the second one just annoyed me, and the Third one was so bad it was good to laugh at. Like the script was so horrible...ugh. Somewhere between blind american pie girl, vampire dogs and literally EVERY line Ryan Reynolds said being a one liner, or him trying to tense up his muscles so much during the shirtless scenes that he literally couldn't move and looked like a statue while trying to deliever his lines. And he delivered his lines like he just watched a bunch Jason Lee movies and said "I am going to go for that" and failing miserably.

Blade screaming "USE IT" at Jessica Beil made me laugh when I was supposed to be moved. Triple H was just flat out hilarious and Parker Posey, lets face it, we all know she can't really act but she is just usually fun to watch. Not so much in this film.

The only highlight of Blade 3 to me was the really hot goth girl in the goth shop.

I find ryan renolds to be annoying in anything he does.

I just find him really bugging.

Simon Sez is better than any action movie Van Wilder will ever do!

That's because its has Ray Liotta, Peter Berg, Jermany Piven, Jason Bateman, Common....Ryan Reynolds is not the main reason why that movie is good. Ryan Reynolds should go back to tv and that pizza place and never ever do action movies again.

That's because its has Ray Liotta, Peter Berg, Jermany Piven, Jason Bateman, Common....Ryan Reynolds is not the main reason why that movie is good. Ryan Reynolds should go back to tv and that pizza place and never ever do action movies again.

Alicia Key's Thighs should have gotten their name on the poster for that movie.

Blade 2...eh...action-wise, it's top notch. However, the SUPER BADASS vampire team was a total letdown. Seemed like some cool characters and they pretty much get totally wiped out in one sequence. Plus, Blade was such a gullible shcmuck in that movie. Okay, so you spend almost your whole life wiping these things out, then suddenly you decide to side with them only to end up getting double crossed....come on Blade...

It was like watching an overbooked Russo wrestling show.

The super team seemed cool... but I'm pissed with the way they went out, especially the Asian dude. Fuck that.

Then the amount of turns and double crosses got annoying. Blade knew that one dude he saved a few years ago turned on him, so he just went along with it, and decided to blow him up... once again, FUCK THAT.

What I never got is why, in the second movie, the Super-Vampires have that weird jaw-thing going on, and they're a *new* type of Vampire.

Then in 3, Dracula comes along, and he's got the same thing. If the original Vampire was one of the "new" vampires, why aren't ALL the Vampires "new" vampires?