TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

ECW/Smackdown spoilers

Wrestlemag

- ECW got started with CM Punk backstage with the New Breed. Punk gave one of those phony heel apologies and said to put it behind them as they’ve got the 8-man elimination match coming up tonight.

- Bobby Lashley beat Umaga via DQ in their WrestleMania 23 rematch. After the match, Lashley beat down Armando and Vince.

- Elijah Burke cut a promo saying tonight was the biggest night of the New Breed’s life.

- A video for The Condemned aired.

- Snitsky beat Balls Mahoney in a short match.

- CM Punk returned for another New Breed match ahead of tonight’s ECW main event.

- A video aired to plug the Dusty Rhodes DVD, which has been out for a year or so

- The ECW Originals (RVD, Sabu, Sandman, Dreamer) took on The New Breed. Punk was made by Burke to sit at ringside to keep it 4 on 4 as The New Breed team is Burke, Striker, Cor Von and Thorn. They eventually get down to Burke vs RVD. Punk laid out Burke with a kick, leading to Van Dam hitting him with the frogsplash and getting the win.

Post-match, Punk hit Burke with the Go To Sleep to end the ECW taping.

ECW spoilers complete.

Smackdown spoilers in full:

- Smackdown opens with Batista, Mr. Kennedy and Finlay brawling backstage. Eventually the brawl takes them onto the stage. The lights go out, then return with Undertaker stood in the middle of the ring. They lights go back off and back on, with Undertaker nowhere to be seen.

- The Undertaker & Batista vs Mr. Kennedy & Finlay in a no DQ match was announced as the main event.

- The Boogeyman & Kane beat William Regal & Dave Taylor after The Boogeyman hit Taylor with a sit-down version of Khali’s finisher. This one dragged.

- Deuce (w/Domino) beat Brian Kendrick (w/Paul London).

- MVP cut a quick promo, then won a quick squash match against ‘The Scottish Champion’ (Drew Galloway we think). MVP grabs the mic to announce a second opponent, but he’s interrupted by Chris Benoit. We get Benoit vs MVP right away, with Benoit winning via countout after MVP rolls out the ring to avoid the diving headbutt, and walks away. He teases returning to the ring at the count of nine, but walks away again.

- Teddy Long and Kristal were shown backstage talking.

- Jillian Hall vs Michelle McCool was up next. Jillian sang and dedicated her song to Prince William, since he’s single now. Somehow she sounds even worse live than on TV. Jillian then beat McCool, but got beat up after the match.

- The Undertaker & Batista vs Mr. Kennedy & Finlay is up now. Batista is working with his right thigh taped up. Batista pinned Finlay after a spinebuster for the win. Post-match, Batista cut a promo, saying he’d take his World Title back from Undertaker this Sunday. Undertaker responded by saying he’ll take Batista’s soul.

I'm all for Punk/Burke but turning him so soon was a mistake. If they plug him with the originals, we got problems. Just go back to New Breed Vs Originals and have Punk either go at it alone or bring in people he "trusts". Punk was gold last week and that whole element could have gone at least another month.

We don't know what led to Punk laying Burke out with the chair, so it could be accidental, Burke could have provoked Punk, etc. Not only that, if the post-match Go 2 Sleep doesn't air, then they could still leave the storyline open ended.

That's true and I'm hoping that the G2S was post-show because they have done so well with Punk in this role so far, I'd hate to see them jerk back to exactly where it was 2 weeks ago.

How do we know Punk has turned back though? What if it is a case where the New Breed side with HIM in this and they kick Burke out of the group instead next week?

BAH! No Paul Burchill!

I don't know what they are doing with Punk. They didn't stretch out the angle long enough if it was supposed to lead to a New Breed implosion. Is he going to move to the Originals and do much of the same thing?

Well if the Punk/Burke fight happened after the tv tapings then there is nothing to worry about but if it appears on sci-fi channel then they just threw away 2 months of storyline and a PPV matchup on free tv...

more from Meltz:

SMACKDOWN SPOILERS

Batista and Mr Kennedy were shown brawling as soon as the show started, and Finlay joined in to help Kennedy. They brawled to the entrance, where Batista bounced both of them off the bus on the set. Kennedy and Finlay then double teamed Batista, when The Undertaker appeared in the ring, scaring Kennedy and Finlay off. Batista looked confused, as Taker disappeared. Later, Kennedy and Finlay asked Teddy Long to book Taker Vs Batista for the main event, but instead, Long booked Taker/Batista versus Kennedy/Finlay in a No DQ tag match.

Kane/The Boogeyman b. William Regal/Dave Taylor

Regal and Taylor got some cheers, but Kane and the Boogeyman were clear faces, and sadly, some people in my section didn't know who Taylor was. The match was awful, and it seemed to drag on forever. Kane worked nearly the entire match, dominating early, but Regal and Taylor wore him down and worked well as a team on him. Kane eventually made the hot tag to Boogeyman, who won with his pump handle slam on Regal. Thankfully for Regal and Taylor, no worms for them this time.

Deuce b. Brian Kendrick

Not much heat for this one, and it proved that Kendrick's only as good as who's in the ring with him, and he wasn't very good tonight. I think there was a brawl on the outside between Paul London and Domino, and Deuce dropkicked London onto the announce table. Kendrick went for Sliced Bread #2, which he hit, but then the aforementioned interference led to Deuce hitting his finisher for the win. Deuce and Domino later bragged to Kristal about their reign as the Tag Champs, but there were problems with the camera, so they probably reshot it after the show.

MVP beat some William Wallace lookalike jobber

This was another of MVP's "worldwide champions challenge matches", claiming that this guy was the Scottish Champion, and better than Chris Benoit. The jobber, who had Macbeth as his surname, came out as a Braveheart knockoff with a knockoff of the theme, and actually got a bit of offence on MVP, but he was hit by a clothesline and did a sweet 360 flip off it. MVP then hit the Playmaker for the win. After the match, MVP was going to introduce a second champion, but Benoit came out, and challenged MVP to a match.

NON TITLE: Chris Benoit b. MVP via count out

They went about 15 minutes, and worked a similar match to their WrestleMania meeting. MVP was as impressive as he was at Mania, and Benoit was super over. The end came when Benoit hit 5 German Suplexes in a row, and tried for the Crossface and the Sharpshooter, but MVP had enough and walked away to draw the countout. They shouldn't have had this match, but a wise decision to have a screwy ending, so that there's a finish at Backlash. MVP should really win the title for this feud to have meant anything.

Backstage, Teddy Long and Kristal were kissing, and Kristal said that she enjoyed the two weeks they've spent together in Europe, but would like some more time with him. Teddy then revealed that he's planning on hiring someone to be a co-GM of SmackDown to lighten his workload so he can spend more time with Kristal.

Jillian Hall b. Michelle McCool

Before the match, Jillian talked about Prince William's recent breakup with Kate Middleton, and said that she was single and free for Wills, which led to her singing a song, which went about as well as expected. Thankfully, Michelle's music cut her off, and they had an instantly forgettable match, which Jillian won with the X Factor. Afterwards, Jillian tried singing again, but Michelle beat her up outside the ring. Once again, no-one cared, and people in my section had trouble telling who was who. As much as I don't like her, Ashley Massaro actually has a bit of personality...

NO DQ MATCH: Undertaker/Batista b. Mr Kennedy/Finlay

You'd think with a major Last Man Standing title match coming up that Batista and Taker would have some animosity between each other, but if you haven't been following the storylines, you wouldn't know they had a problem with the way they teamed up tonight. Finlay and Kennedy worked on Batista's bad leg for most of the match, hitting it with the shillelagh and the Money In The Bank briefcase, but Batista got the hot tag, and Undertaker did his usual on both Finlay and Kennedy. The finish came when Taker chokeslammed one of them, and Batista got a blind tag in to score the pinfall behind Taker's back. After the match, Batista said that no-one can keep him down for a ten count, and that the title was his. The Undertaker said that there was still something left of Batista to claim - his soul. They didn't fight.

All in all, not as good as last night. In fact, there was a grand total of one good match over the whole two days, and it'll be that one match between Shawn Michaels and John Cena that'll be talked about for a long time. Sadly, there was nothing that even came close tonight.

Martin Bentley

London, England

Guest pith
I'm all for Punk/Burke but turning him so soon was a mistake. If they plug him with the originals, we got problems. Just go back to New Breed Vs Originals and have Punk either go at it alone or bring in people he "trusts". Punk was gold last week and that whole element could have gone at least another month.

yea i agree turning punk was ok but so soon was deffiantly a mistake. i think the originals should of recruited balls mahony to even things out and have a 9 man tag match, although that dosn't roll off the tongue, "9 man tag team match."

anyways ne 1 agree with me on what i think they should have done?

yea i agree turning punk was ok but so soon was deffiantly a mistake. i think the originals should of recruited balls mahony to even things out and have a 9 man tag match, although that dosn't roll off the tongue, "9 man tag team match."

anyways ne 1 agree with me on what i think they should have done?

If they were evening things out, punk goes with the NB and Balls goes with the Originals, doesn't it become a ten-man tag team match?

On a side note, I definitely think that Smackdown needs to come up with better main events.

I was at this show. Regal was ALOT more over than it sounded on tv. The original Deuce-Domino segment with Krystal was totally different. WWE edited the "what?" chants MVP was getting from the crowd.

I enjoyed the show.

1) Bradshaw with a Chono mention!

2) MVP continues to improve, wow. He just could be the most improved wrestler of the year, and the year isn't even half over yet.

Alright...so after seeing that match...I'm thinking I wouldn't mind Kane/Boogeyman Tag Team champs for a short while.

That will help the tag division.

Jesus Christ, someone needs to feed Michelle McCool some cheeseburgers. I don't remember her looking that rail thin.