4.Lord Steven Regal

5.Paul Orndorff

Your top five picks?

1. Arn Anderson

2. Lord Steven Regal

3. Tully Blanchard

4. Dusty Rhodes

5. Booker T

Prince Iaukea just missed making the cut by about 10 other wrestlers.

I haven't watched enough old-school WCW to give a list, but I loved Regal as the TV champ. He definitely had a very nice Honky Tonk Man IC reign vibe going. It was Prince Iaukea that beat him, right? Ugh. The premise was right (young debuting babyface with skills finally ending his reign), but Prince Iaukea was, of course, ghastly. I would've seen a young athletic babyface, like Alex Wright or Jericho going over. Maybe a debuting luchadore.

Regal is the greatest by far. He MADE that title. I remember being SURE Davey Boy Smith would smoke him for the title and being pissed when it alaways went to a draw. Crazy that nobody has mentioned Austin yet. Wasn't he champ for like 15 months?

what about Austin? he had some good matches with Windham at least and held the title for a long time i nhis firts reign (from i think July 91- Mayish 92) and was part of the Dangerous Alliance.

i would have to say the best was Regal for the heels and Booker for the faces. Bookers TV title run turned him from a tag team guy into a serious singles threat, plus he had great matches with Benoit and Finlay and even Rick Martel. If he had never won the title out of the blue form Disco Inferno he may never have become a multi-time world champ, hell he never would have. That initial singles push with the TV belt MADE his career .

Guest Mos_Def

why do people have Arn Anderson as their top choice? He didnt do shit as a t.v champ...few if any noteworthy matches or program at all....Blanchard put that title on the map. Anderson is just a smark choice

Guest flairfan

I think it depends on if you are looking at the 80s or the 90s..

From the 80s..

I would say:

1. Dusty Rhodes

2. Tully Blanchard

3. Ron Garvin

4. Sting

5. Arn Anderson

From the 90s..

1. Steven Regal

2. Johnny B Badd

3. Booker T

4. Chris Beniot

5. Rick Steiner

Guest jonnymack

Really Tully was the best of them all. Tully and Dusty are the only ones that really mattered. Maybe Rotunda too.

Did Dusty EVER defend the title on tv? It seemed like the couple times he won it, the title would disappear off of TBS unless he was carrying it during a promo.

For that alone, he was a horrible TV champ.

Tully was the best, Arn,Regal and Rotundo would probably be on my list. And Muta cause I loved Muta when he debuted.

Guest The Greek Physique

Cool thread, always loved the TV title.

I did NOT look at everyone elses picks and I did not look up the title holders at www.wrestling-titles.com. I will simply try and see whom I remember first off the top of my little brain:

Booker T

Chris Benoit

Arn Anderson

Tully Blanchard

Barry Windham

I bet one of these guys never held the title....

After viewing the title holders I'll change my list around a bit:

1. Booker T

2. Chris Benoit

3. Arn Anderson

4. Lord Steven Regal

5. Johnny B Badd

The Johnny B Badd character/gimmick was made for holding the TV Title, IMO.

That best of 5 with benoit vs. Booker T was the shit and seemed to matter alot. Any Best of's I have seen since didn't come close. I remember cena had one two years ago with someone (Booker?). I step down of course when it comes to knowledge of early Mid-Atlantic wrestling. But the TV title really did put Booker T on the map.

Scrolling down the main page, I glanced at this thread and because of who lasted posted in it, thought it was called "Name five of the greatest physiques." And I was all about to bust in here and call it a done contest with Rick Rude as the undisputed winner.

Carry on.