TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pochorenella

Spider-Man 3

spiderman310_large.jpg

With the Mods kind permission I felt the need to start a new Spider-Man 3 thread, since the others focus more on the trailers and the casting. Here we can discuss the movie proper, and if the Mods feel it necessary they can merge this with the other ones. And I tried to find that cool-as-hell poster with the symbiote crawling over Spidey's arm but no luck. Still, the above poster is pretty kick-ass too.

Anyway, the movie is only one more week away and I am pumped beyond belief for it, as I already have my midnight show tickets and I'm dragging my girlfriend to come along for the ride, even if she only gets a couple hours sleep since she starts super-early at work. Anyone else going to the midnight screenings or opening night?

I just got back from the film, and overall, no sir, I don't like it.

The Bad:

Paper thin characters

More plot holes then you can keep track of

Deviates from the source material almost to the point of irrecognition

Overall lack of any kind of plot with any sort of substance

Lame dialog

Kirsten Dunst is still annoying as ever

The Good:

Probably the best fight sequences of the three films. The last 20 minutes almost make the film worth seeing.

Thomas Hayden Church does a good job as Sandman, but doesn't serve much purpose

Topher Grace does a great job as well

Overall my biggest complaint is that considering the films length (2 hours 20 minutes), the pacing just isn't consistent. Some important plot points are only briefly glossed over, or not mentioned at all, while other scenes that really serve no real purpose in advancing the story seeming go on forever.

This is one of those movies that is 100% critic proof, it's going to make 150 million it's first weekend whether people shit on it or not. Bad word of mouth though will make the film take a huge nose dive with Shrek and Pirates upcoming though. Final Word: Wait 3 weeks, buy a ticket for Pirates, and then try to sneak in and catch the last fight sequence, but skip the rest.

I'm thinking of taking a nap after work, before going to the midnight show so I don't get as tired. I'm making my girlfriend skip classes also so she can go with me. The only thing that would make this better is if I had midnight show tickets for the IMAX shows but it's not the case. I might have to catch it on IMAX later, though.

spman's review is the kind of stuff I feared about the movie, but I know I'm going to like it anyway (read the "Movies You Like That Other Hate" thread - I like Batman Forever for crying out glaven). spman and I seem to disagree on movies (and wrestling) quality often anyway - he thought Superman Returns was good, I thought it was the most boring 2.5 hours I spent in a movie theatre all year. I think I'm slightly insane to get up for work at 8 and go to a midnight showing tonight, but at least work gave me the flex time to not come in until 11 tomorrow morning. Should be fun.

I think I'm slightly insane to get up for work at 8 and go to a midnight showing tonight, but at least work gave me the flex time to not come in until 11 tomorrow morning.

Lucky bastard.

spman's review is the kind of stuff I feared about the movie, but I know I'm going to like it anyway (read the "Movies You Like That Other Hate" thread - I like Batman Forever for crying out glaven). spman and I seem to disagree on movies (and wrestling) quality often anyway - he thought Superman Returns was good, I thought it was the most boring 2.5 hours I spent in a movie theatre all year. I think I'm slightly insane to get up for work at 8 and go to a midnight showing tonight, but at least work gave me the flex time to not come in until 11 tomorrow morning. Should be fun.

Actually, upon second viewing, Superman Returns really doesn't hold up. Luthor still rules although his plan in the film reaches a Dr. Evil level of stupidity and complexity. Brandon Routh was lame as Superman, and Kate Bosworth was just terrible all around. Nothing will ever top Superman 2. Personally to me, Batman Begins is the barometer for Comic Book Movies. Oh yeah, and I like Batman Forever as well. It's not as good as the Burton films, but it's a campy throwback to the 60's TV show, and in that it succedes.

Nothing wrong with Superman returns, although it could have ended 30 minutes sooner and noone would have complained, and they need to do something to explain the stupidity of the people at the Planet. (Clark has been gone for 5 years, left the same time Superman left. Now he is back and wants his job back. And whats the lead story? SUPERMAN IS BACK!!! Come the fuck on you supposed reporters)

The only thing I worry about in Spiderman 3 is there are 3 villians in 2 1/2 hours with one of them being Venom. Plus all the stuff with Harry. It seems like a awful lot of story to fit into one film.

The only thing I worry about in Spiderman 3 is there are 3 villians in 2 1/2 hours with one of them being Venom. Plus all the stuff with Harry. It seems like a awful lot of story to fit into one film.

This is the concern of most people I know and spman's comments about plot holes, flat characters, and story problems pretty much cemented that the concern was a valid one, but I'll judge that myself tonight. However, since I had all these concerns anyway, I'll go and enjoy some superhero special effects and Venom.

it's kinda like Star Wars 3...they had to squeeze in Anakin initially being good, his turn, his dirty deeds as Darth Vader and his turn into the guy in the black suit all in 1 movie...oh and by the way, there's still this war that has raged for over a decade that needs to be tied up as well.

I'm gonna hate this movie for a while since the theater I work at has a midnight showing that I'm stuck working and they'll be having it on five screens over the next few weeks. Oy...

Just finished watching the crappy cam of the film thats just made the rounds, and i have to say i found myself skipping past most of the movie cause it was boring me.

However peters venom'D persona is very well played and made me laugh for the wrong reasons.

Not enough venom TBH as he shows up with 30mins to go, its obvious sam rami still doesnt like the venom caracter as hes treated like a plot device rather than a big bad, and considering how huge the caracter became in the comics and is arguably spideys biggest enemy, its a shame.

However if they had went the route of having peter get the symbiote and his downward spiral to heel mode was gradual over the film leading to venom being born just before the credits to set up number 4 it would have worked much better.

Even tho it bored me in various points resulting in me fast forwarding, its still worth checking out cause yes the last 20mins or so kick all kinds of ass.

Just got back from my first veiwing, and heres my take.... *takes a deep breath*

Part of me wants to love this film, but the other part cant.

They got a lot into the time they had. Which was good, it never felt rushed. But there were many points that angered me.

Harry kept taking his mask off, therefore making it pretty reduntant. Small point but it annoyed me. They did it too many times with Venom too

The acting was good, the script was pretty good. Church was FUCKING incredible and Grace really suprised me. Dunst was annoying and Howard blew her off the screen in terms of acting and looks. She was smoking hot.

But what really annoyed me, was they had done such a good job of Venom and Sandman (Sandman in particular) yet they seemed so wasted as this tandom act at the end of the film. It was a nice idea, but felt a bit Batman and Robin for my liking. Plus, the end fight scene wasnt as good as it could have been. It just seemed such a waste. Venoms ending was pretty lame, and was one of my biggest dissapointments.

The effects were beyond good. Sandman and Venom looked so good.

If they had their own films, it would have been better

Sandmans ending could have been worse, but it wasn't terrible

It's not as good as number 2

Bonus points for the Cambell and Lee cameos, Stan's esspecially, it was fucking brilliant.

SANDMAN WAS SO GOOD. Did i mention that? He should have had his own film.

Maguire's "emo" look while he was in black suit mode annoyed me a bit

They should have done more with Parker/Stacy storyline. So much more.

Overall, im seeing it again in like 8 hours, which will probably give me a better opionon of the film. I may have hyped myself up too much for it.

I'm sitting here trying like hell to get Fandango tickets for the IMAX tomorrow at 7:00 and its t..a..k..i..n..g f..o..r..e..v..e..r...

The tickets are still available but apparently everyone is trying to get these things because you can click on another movie's link and it pops up quick as a whistle.

Good movie. Not Spider-Man 2 good, but out of context an enjoyable film. As anyone could expect, a bit too much going on that could have worked better as separate stories but this was not an X-Men 3 by any means (by that, I mean a a huge let down after the second movie outdoes the first).

Topher's Eddie Brock is a great asshole.

In the context of all the hype and past movies, it has some problems though:

If you're going to this movie to see Venom, lower those expectations right down. He came, he saw, he fought, he got blown the f*** up. Thanks for showing up.

Dr. Connors doesn't seem to care where this crazy symbiote showed up from or why Peter had it.

Everything is just so episodic. Episode 1: Peter fights New Goblin. Episode 2: Peter fights Sandman. Episode 3: Harry's memory returns! Episode 4: Venom! (who is never named, by the way) Episode 5: Harry/Peter vs Sandman/Venom

So, if you can get past that, it's pretty enjoyable. If the above sounds too annoying to handle, lower your bar of expectations. The good:

Venom looks great. When he's not doing a special effect, it appears to be a practical suit that looks great.

Sandman is an interesting (but underdeveloped) character.

Lots of CGI in the fight scenes, but they're awesome.

Angry/Cocky Peter is hilarious, emo hair and all.

I'll second what everyone else is saying. It's a great story, and character-wise, everyone really gets developed, although it would have been nice to see a little more Marko coverage.

The frustrating part of this movie is that it can go from deadly serious drama one minute with some great writing, to ridiculously bad and hokey lines. I think this movie maybe upped the first movie in terms of cringe inducing lines.

Ocks tentacle attack in the second movie was way scarier than anything Venom did in this one.

Mary Jane is a BITCH in this movie.

Don't understand the hate Grace got for this role, since I thought he played the part PERFECTLY.

What the HELL was up with the dancing scenes?! This was one HUGE black eye on the movie, and made for an awkward few minutes.

Not a fan of the Osborn/Parker team up at the end. "Hey there buddy, grab my hand! Go get 'em!" This was forced and hokey to me.

It was a major disappointment for me. The last 30 minutes with all the crying was pure crap, B-Movie level.

The rest of the movie was correct, not on the same level as the two first movies ... But the ending ...

Just saw it.

Fight scenes were awesome.

Sandman was done so well.

Venom was awesome.

James Franco as Harry was awesome this time.

"Cool" Peter was great.

The love story stuff...did NOT fit in this movie. This movie was a comedy pretending to have a message.

They put so many "little things" from issues in along with tons of important stuff from the comics.

This movie was made for the hardcore fans, unlike the first two.

I loved it, though it did have problems, namely a terrible scene that ripped off "The Mask" and the final tag team battle of ridiculousness.

ps sorry to use "awesome" but I don't want to go into detail right now and I'm ready to pass the fuck out.

The only thing it lacked was Mary Jane smoking cigarettes, ala the late 90's (and ironically the last time she smoked in the comics was when Harry got back his memories...it was right there!)

It's late, I saw it, and I have to say, of all the rushed, plot hole filled movies I've ever seen, this one is the best. Skimming through, it looks like I agree completely with Sledgehammer.

Guest Vitamin X

I enjoyed the movie, though the people behind me got REALLY annoying during the last half-hour or so, snickering and all that. A lot of people in the audience was in seemed really into it at first and at times throughout the movie, then really soured on it at the end.

I saw a lot of people walk out too, actually, which kind of surprised me. I didn't think it was THAT bad, but I guess you can't please comic book geeks all the time.

Bruce Campbell makes another awesome cameo. Much better than the Spiderman 2 one. The plot felt recycled from the first two.

(I mean come on.. isn't it always Peter tries to get with/please Mary Jane, ends up fucking that up somehow, then the villain gets Mary Jane and traps her, and Peter saving her in the end makes everything alright. I mean COME THE FUCK ON! The ending didn't go anywhere, either..)

Topher Grace was excellent, Thomas Hayden Church continues to impress me as an actor (although this is only the second film I've seen him in besides Sideways), and black suit Spidey was the highlight of the film for me. I don't know if I was anticipating this as much as the second one, but I got the midnight showing for the hell of it anyways because I like going to the movies late.

Go check it out if you're bored.

Just got back from my second veiwing. I enjoyed it more this time. But the same complaints i had still stand.

But Sandman was definatly the best thing about this film, if he had been the main villian it would have been awesome.

My quick toughts:

The fight scenes were terrific, specially the last one. All the quick and sudden action made my girlfriend jump off her seat several times.

The story still focuses more on Peter Parker rather than Spidey and that's a GOOD thing. The movie (and the comic for that matter) may be titled Spider-Man but Peter's dealings should always carry the load of the story.

"Evil Peter" was great. Mcguire was born to play Peter Parker.

The villains were very impressive, both Grace and Hayden portrayed them correctly. Venom and the Sandman ruled.

J. Jonah Jameson was awesome as usual.

No better than Spider-Man 2 but another great Spidey episode in the saga, hopefully not the last, but most of the characters left still have tons of potential for next installments. Except for Dunst who was rather unimpressive and got totally blown away by that girl who played Gwen Stacy. Other than that I have no big complaints for this movie and hopefully I'll be catching it again this weekend.