TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pochorenella

Spider-Man 3

Batman Begins is vastly better than any of the Spider-Man movies, I will definitely agree to that. Best superhero movie ever, and its not too terribly close.

I'm not gonna argue with people's tastes in movies or super-heroes, as you can like whatever you want. However, stating that one movie is better than the other because of a featured villain's propensity of commiting murder or his/hers redeeming qualities, as tommytomlin said, is weak at best.

For the record, I feel Spider-Man 2 is the greatest superhero movie ever. Hell, Spider-Man is the greatest superhero ever (there goes that topic again.) And to back this up I'll refer you HERE.

'Nuff said.

Well fuck that list. It doesn't even include Unbreakable.

Unbreakable is totally kick-ass but it's a comic-book-related movie, not a movie BASED on a comic-book. THAT is what the list is about, big difference.

And I must be the only person on the entire board who doesn't mind Kirsten Dunst as MJ.

I didn't mind her until this movie. This movie she seemed very unmotivated and really got to me on the promo circuit where she basically complained about being in the franchise in every interview she gave. I don't know, stuff like this, and Heath Ledger's comments about comic movies after his casting as the Joker get to me. There are plenty of people who would die to get in a movie that big, play that kind of character, who are just as capable, if not more, than those who do get cast.

What did Ledger say about comic movies?

There were a few news reports, I just did a quick search and cut part of one of the articles.

According to an interview over at Dark Horizons, Heath Ledger hates comic book movies. "I actually hate comic book movies, like ****ing hate them, they just bore me ****less and they're just dumb." The decision to cast Ledger as the Joker has been an interesting one for comic book fans and has caused not a small amount of controversy and concern. In the same article, Ledger says, "But I thought what Chris Nolan did with Batman was actually really good, really well directed, and Christian Bale was really great in it."

Is this a good or a bad thing for the movie? Only time will tell, but in my opinion, it could be a good thing. Having someone who isn't a fan of all the previous incarnations of the comic could bring a fresh take on the Joker's character. Ledger says of his take on the character, "He's going to be really sinister and it's going to be less about his laugh and his pranks and more about just him being a just a ****ing sinister guy." Profanity aside, could this be a good attitude to take for the Joker? Place your comments below.

I bolded the main quote, I thought there was more he said too, but can't seem to find it all.

first week at the box office

59.8 / 51.3 / 39.9 / 10.2 / 8.0 / 6.7 / 5.9 Spiderman 3

55.8 / 44.4 / 35.3 / 18.1 / 15.7 / 14.1 / 12.3 Dead Man's Chest

Spiderman 3 is fucked.

That's pretty rough. Just for fun, here are all of the Spidey totals for the first seven days of each:

39.4 / 43.6 / 31.8 / 11.0 / 9.9 / 8.3 / 7.4 - Spider-Man

40.4 / 23.8 / 32.4 / 33.7 / 21.9 / 27.6 / 12.0 - Spider-Man 2

59.8 / 51.3 / 39.9 / 10.2 / 8.0 / 6.7 / 5.9 - Spider-Man 3

Everyone already saw it the first day!

Hmm. Those Ledger comments are interesting. At least he'll be motivated it seems.

I have to admit while I warmed up to Batman Begins and now dig it a lot.....I can't help but think The Dark Knight is destined for suckdom. First off, it's a mistake to do The Joker again anyway since everyone and their brother can only envision Jack Nicholson as The Joker and thus it really doesn't matter who they get since he won't be fully accepted. Second, they get Mr. Brokeback to be The Joker? I can't imagine him being able to pull off the role at all...there's nothing about his physical features, his voice, or anything that suggests this is good casting. It's not like the casting of Daniel Craig as Bond for instance, where most of the ridicule was either over him being blond or just not being well known, but his defenders noted his attitude and demeanor would be good for the role.

The Joker and Catwoman were really the only villains that were done right in the original series. This dead serious and sinister take on The Joker is bound to be bad move, since The Joker isn't really a role that can be done without a certain crazed, over the top glee. The ideal Joker needs to make you laugh and scare the hell out of you at the same time with his heinous acts.

The whole relaunch of the franchise wasn't as odd and obvious with Begins, since they did use some new villains (Ra's Al Ghul, Scarecrow). But once they start recycling the same villains I think moviegoers will get quickly tired of the new Batman series.

BRACE YOURSELF!!!

064543_SpideyGoesEmoDance2.gif

Have any of you ever watched the UK short, Spider-Planet Man? It stars Rowan Atkinson as Peter Piper/Spider-Plant Man, Jim Broadbent as Batman, Tony Robinson as Robin, Rachel Stevens as Jane Mary, along with Mackenzie Crook (Gareth from The Office, UK version) and Simon Pegg and Nick Frost.

Ledger is perfect with his look and he is a fantastic actor. Hanging onto that no one can do this role like Jack sentiment is preposterous.

At first I was thinking "Brokeback Joker?"...but after honestly giving it some thought I really believe that Heath can pull off the Joker role rather well.

Why do people make a big issue that he played a gay guy in a movie? A great deal of talented actors have played gay characters but people like Cabbage make it as if that's all Ledger has ever done and that by being The Joker, he'll play it as gay cowboy.

Why do people make a big issue that he played a gay guy in a movie? A great deal of talented actors have played gay characters but people like Cabbage make it as if that's all Ledger has ever done and that by being The Joker, he'll play it as gay cowboy.

I don't see what the problem is when Magneto, arguably the best comic book supervillain in film, was played by real gay guy.

I thought it was a good movie. The effects were great, the acting was decent, and it was entertaining enough to hold my interest all the way through.

The problems I had with this movie echo everyone else's: too long, too much crammed in, not enough Venom. The movie was so long because they had to go through the whole "black suit" story just to get to Venom. If they were going to do this they needed to eliminate something - either push Sandman off to another movie, or push Venom off to another movie as a conclusion of the black suit storyline.

Many critics (and many of you) are calling it a bad movie, but I don't believe that is the case. Compared to many other movies of its genre (and much of what else it out right now) it's a great movie. The problem is that it has flaws in abundance, and it falls far short of the quality of the first two. On its own it's decent, but in trying to top the previous two it falls flat.

Gwen Stacy is smoking hot. Nuff said.

Oh, and one other thing - after the end of Spider-Man 2 I was hyped for Harry being *the* major villain to beat in Spider-Man 3. We didn't get that, and we didn't get a whole lot of Venom either. In this respect i feel robbed.

Because no matter what film he does from now on,

He will always be the guy who bummed Donnie Darko.

Guest Smues

I had to resist the urge to yell CHEER UP EMO KID about 500 times during the movie. Damn emo kids.

how was he emo? he was assertive, a go-getter, a lady killer and he didn't give a fuck about consequences...hardly the characteristics of an emo peron, I think.

Guest Smues

It's all about the hair. Emo kids have ruined that hair for all eternity.