TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 4/30 - 5/6

A good offense, sure. But that pitching staff is putrid. I find it very possible that St Louis ends up last in the Central this year. The Cubs are starting to show signs of life and I think Houston will come around before St Louis does.

Guest Richard McBeef

I was so looking forward to seeing "Saltalamacchia" in the Braves' old Detroit Red Wings-style nameplates, but then they switched to just doing it like everybody else. Then they didn't win the East. Connection?

Guest Smues

Howard tying the game on a 3-run shot is painful enough, having to listen to BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK after the ball has already landed is just pouring salt into the wound.

Howard tying the game on a 3-run shot is painful enough, having to listen to BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK after the ball has already landed is just pouring salt into the wound.

Who doesn't love Harry's call though? You can't be a baseball fan if you don't respect Harry. Oh, and go Phils! we're fine as long as Garcia doesn't throw any more high change-ups.

...Spoke to soon, base hit off a high off speed pitch and more coming!

Guest Smues

Who doesn't love Harry's call though? You can't be a baseball fan if you don't respect Harry. Oh, and go Phils! we're fine as long as Garcia doesn't throw any more high change-ups.

...Spoke to soon, base hit off a high off speed pitch and more coming!

Who'se Harry? Is that a Berman nick-name I'm not aware of?

Eh, I'm watching on Comcast Sportsnet, the Phils home network so we'd hear different calls. And actually, it'd be "Long drive. Way back. Watch this baby... Outta here!" but I missed the homer so I don't know if Harry Kalas made the call or not.

Guest Smues
Smeus has ESPN's feed so he likely has Chris Berman. Harry refers to Harry Kalas, the beloved Phillies announcer.

And now Salty's hurt. Damn.

That would be correct. I can't stream the game because I'm in the office, but I can watch the ESPN feed on TV. Berman is so awful for baseball. I don't like him period, but he's just putrid calling baseball. BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK YOU'RE WITH ME LEATHER!

Hey Al, where I can find out what the record is for teammates homering in the same game? I wanna see how Chipper and Andruw stack up at 58 times or whatever they're at.

Guest Smues

That's what, the 4th runner thrown out at the plate by Philly this series? Fuck.

Mike Stanton was put in with two outs in the bottom of the eighth in the Reds/Astros game and immediately ended the inning by picking off Henter Pence at first before even throwing a single pitch. Never seen that before.

The "Langer Hands" will have to travel to again as Ryan Langerhans has been traded again this time to the Nats for Chris Snelling. I like Snelling better than Langerhans but good lord the A's are hell bent on making the entire 40 man roster full of guys who are injury prone.

Guest Smues
The "Langer Hands" will have to travel to again as Ryan Langerhans has been traded again this time to the Nats for Chris Snelling.

Holy cow that was fast. He'll be racking up the air miles.

And now that I think of it they sure traded Snelling fast too. Go figure the guy stays healthy for once in his life (I think) and gets traded.

Oh and I found my list

Pair, Team, Seasons together, Same game HRs

Hank Aaron-Eddie Mathews, Braves, 1954-66, 75

Lou Gehrig-Babe Ruth, Yankees, 1923-34, 73

Willie Mays-Willie McCovey, Giants, 1959-62, 68

Gil Hodges-Duke Snider, Dodgers, 1947-61, 67

Ron Santo-Billy Williams, Cubs, 1960-73, 64

Bob Allison-Harmon Killebrew, Twins, 1958-70, 61

Chipper Jones-Andruw Jones, Braves, 1996-present, 58

Dwight Evans-Jim Rice, Red Sox, 1974-89, 56

Joe Adcock-Eddie Mathews, Braves, 1952-62, 56

Yogi Berra-Mickey Mantle, Yankees, 1951-63, 55

So Chipper and Andruw come in at 7th all time. Not likelyto get much higher since I don't see Andruw re-signing with us this off-season. But if he did, it'd be cool if they could get up to 74+ so it'd be Braves duos at #1 and #2. Useless statistics rule!

I think that I'm going to have to stop the 'Josh Hamilton=GOD' talk and start up the 'Hunter Pence=GOD' talk. I don't watch the Reds regularly, but Josh Hamilton's starting to look a little like a guy who's never played above A ball. Maybe it's the 'Anybody that gets put on my fantasy team immediately starts sucking' effect, but it just looks like pitcher's have started figuring him out a little bit.

Comparing the Cards/'Stros, the way both are playing and the way the Brewers are playing, I might have to rethink my original assumptions. However, I agree the the 'Stros look closer to turning things around than the Cards. The Cards have been playing shitty ball for the majority of the season. The Astros starting pitching, surprisingly, has been quite good (tied for the ML lead in quality starts) while both Wainwright and Reyes haven't been hot shakes and Kip Wells has been bad. If Chris Carpenter either doesn't come back soon or comes back and isn't that good, the Cards could be in big trouble. I don't buy the Cubs. I definitely don't buy the Pirates. I'm not sold on the Reds. I'm starting to come around a bit on the Brewers. I still think that the 'Stros offense will start clicking and if/when Clemens comes back, I still envision a 90 win season. Ah, unbridled optimism.

Now with Mike Piazza out 4 to 6 weeks the A's new starting DH is.......Jack Cust.

This is becoming some sort of sick parody now.

Now with Mike Piazza out 4 to 6 weeks the A's new starting DH is.......Jack Cust.

Am I the only one who's never heard of this Jack Cust before? He sounds like one of those random fake minor league players the computer generates in a video game.

Hey Al, how do you feel about the potential move of Myers to closer in Philly? Seems like the only reason you'd have him in the bullpen in the first place would be for high leverage, multiple inning stints. Isn't this a waste of their best pitcher to use him in the tired, up by three at the start of an inning role?

Guest Queen Leelee

Yes. I thought he was out of baseball, since that was a few years ago. But, apparently he tore it up in AAA.

Am I the only one who's never heard of this Jack Cust before? He sounds like one of those random fake minor league players the computer generates in a video game.

Played for the Orioles back in 2003. The guy is a walking strikeout.

Guest Queen Leelee
Hey Al, how do you feel about the potential move of Myers to closer in Philly? Seems like the only reason you'd have him in the bullpen in the first place would be for high leverage, multiple inning stints. Isn't this a waste of their best pitcher to use him in the tired, up by three at the start of an inning role?

I think everyone but Manuel realizes how stupid it is.

Myers had 2 really bad starts out of 3. This is one of the worst overreactions I've ever seen.

So, the Indians' protest to Saturday's game got denied yesterday which pretty much means the umpires can add runs for a team at any time during the game regardless of when the run(s) in question have been scored.