TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
milliondollarchamp

Over-rated Bullshit Movies

Office Space was short and not particularly clever or funny. It wasn't bad, but it seems like some view it as some sort of brilliant achievement. Clerks was very much the same way. Although I thought it was decent, it's another movie that seems to be viewed as a masterpiece by some.

I really liked Office Space, and Clerks is one of my favourite movies of all time.

I really don't like "Cannibal Holocaust." Sure, it's a cult movie, but so many horror fans treat it like it's a classic, when it really isn't that good.

Count me in on Shrek and POTC. I never could get into those movies.

Clerks gets way, way too much love. Chasing Amy is still Smith's best movie to date.

Your probably right. But i cant help but love Clerks.

But Chasing Amy is probably a better film. If only because it spoke volumes to me during my last relationship.

Put me down on the Scaface camp. Geez three hours of Al Pacino doing an over-the-top Dezi Arnez impression, what genius. I've only watched the film all together maybe 2 times, but I just find it so boring and not engaging at all.

Scarface is idolized because a man came from nothing and then owned all of Miami. Of course, then he went mad, but yeah. That's why. Nevermind the fact that it's too long, the acting is mediocre, pacing horrible, and the only really interesting aspects of the movie are sorta glazed over and towards the end...yeah. It's a piece of shit.

I don't get the love for Spider-Man 2 either. It's not nearly as good as the first, and really...I know Doc Ock is a pretty decent-sized villain in the comics, but come the fuck on! He was only a threat for a few minutes, really! At least the Green Goblin terrorized Spidey constantly in the first one.

I understand the lack of love for Boondock Saints. I hated it until I watched it the third time. Most of the love comes from being able to point to places in the movie and go "hey, I had a sub there," or "hey, I went there on a field trip." It's really a movie for action fans (and action movies have, for the most part, sucked ass since the 80's heyday) and Massholes. I wouldn't expect many others to even give a shit about it save for people from Mass.

I'm with most on historical epics. They don't interest me at all. Braveheart I like because of my Scottish heritage, but really: it's the best one in a long line of shitty epics. Gladiator isn't bad but isn't GREAT like most say it is, I don't give a fuck about any Civil War flick, most WWII movies are shit (though I like Midway, oddly enough), and I can't even bring myself to see 300 because I know exactly what to expect: comic book-like, "epic" action scenes with everybody dressed in Greek attire. Wow. A fucking triumph. Piss off.

Here's one only cult movie fans would even bother commenting on: Dellamorte Dellamore, or Cemetery Man. I bought it after hearing how funny and clever it was, and while the chicks are pretty cute and the zombie effects aren't bad (fuck, the mayor actually WAS funny)...it's lame. Lame, lame, lame, lame, LAME. Took forever to get to the point, and even then: what IS the fucking point? That life is a futile journey, and we all die in the end? Cool. Maybe the movie could have been interesting rather than futile and a little bit confusing.

Movies I expect to see mentioned:

American Psycho

Batman Begins

Dawn of the Dead (original)

Oh, I will talk about Dawn the original. I like it. Its a cool Zombie movie and all, butI personally liked the remake better. Yeah yeah yeah, social commentary, blah blah, what ever. but as a movie and its story, its alright.

Guest Smues

I also hated the monster truck mobile.

(and by also I mean in addition to Katie Holmes. The mask was fine)

I liked the monster truck-style Batmobile, AND the relatively cheap-looking costume. Everything was supposed to be Bruce Wayne in his infancy as Batman, so it makes sense that the designs of his stuff are kinda lame.

Katie Holmes, though, should've off'd herself after showing her tits in The Gift. Fuck Dawson, fuck Disturbing Behavior (even though I like it, and think it's Nick Stahl's best role), it's all about her knockers.

The Creek was the shit so I can't knock that, although her character was a bitch.

I also like the tank mobile. It looked like something you could build out of spare parts, which kinda made sense.

Has anyone mentioned Donnie Darko? What the fuck is up with that piece of shit? I watched it once, was completely lost, then learned that there's all this extra exposition that was left out of the film that you need to find out about on your own for it to make any sense. Fuck that.

Eh. It makes perfect sense. it can be confusing though, but overall, its a good movie. Just not gods gift to film.

i'll second every Kevin Smith movie as over-rated. It's moderately funny dialogue that just seems lamer and lamer the more times I hear it. Though I didn't see the latest one with Affleck and J-Lo in it.

I don't see how you can overrate Chasing Amy. Okay, one of the focal points of the film features a loud, screechy squil of a voice yell HOLDEN alot, but once you ignore that, it really is a great film.

I do feel clerks is overrated, Dogma is a little underrated, Mallrats was what it was and JSBSB is a little overrated.

Clerks is only overrated in the sense that there have been better movies released since then on similar budgets. It's still pretty breakthrough, especially considering nobody involved could've guessed that they'd make a career out of movies just like it. The only real weakpoints in it are Brian O'Halloran's acting during a few scenes (specifically when he gets fined and tries to tell Rick Derris that he didn't do anything, that scene's pure fucking torture to watch) and the voice of the girl who plays Caitlin Bree. Say what you will about Joey Lauren Adams' rasp, but that chick's cottonball-filled mouth lisp makes me want to commit genocide. The pacing wasn't that bad, shoddy but it's a first film, and its awkwardness actually helps make the feel that Clerks was "real life" that much easier to believe.

I'll actually say that Chasing Amy is overrated. It's alright, and the acting/story are solid (still aren't many movies that even TRY to go the lesbian-turns-straight route), but...I dunno. I like the goofiness of Smith's flicks more than I like the seriousness. It's easier to relate to a bunch of wisecracking know-it-all's whose main goals in life are to watch movies, get high, get drunk, get laid, and have some witty banter here and there that sometimes falls flat. I know a big criticism of Smith is that nobody actually goes into monologues about meaningless topics (ie. Superman's sex life), but that's the thing: I know a lot of people that DO go into monologues about meaningless topics (such as mine regarding thrash's superiority to power metal, and various tales of my girlfriend's brother and my friend Chris' exploits into booze and narcotics).

The one movie I feel can't be touched, though, is Clerks II. It is EVERYTHING that View Askew fans could ask for: conflict, resolution, gross-out humor, holier-than-thou nerd attitudes, and a hot female co-star (Rosario Dawson, awwwwwwww).

Clerks is only overrated in the sense that there have been better movies released since then on similar budgets. It's still pretty breakthrough, especially considering nobody involved could've guessed that they'd make a career out of movies just like it. The only real weakpoints in it are Brian O'Halloran's acting during a few scenes (specifically when he gets fined and tries to tell Rick Derris that he didn't do anything, that scene's pure fucking torture to watch) and the voice of the girl who plays Caitlin Bree. Say what you will about Joey Lauren Adams' rasp, but that chick's cottonball-filled mouth lisp makes me want to commit genocide. The pacing wasn't that bad, shoddy but it's a first film, and its awkwardness actually helps make the feel that Clerks was "real life" that much easier to believe.

Agreed. Caitlin Bree was really annoying. And i actually find Joey Lauren Adam's voice really sexy.

I'll actually say that Chasing Amy is overrated. It's alright, and the acting/story are solid (still aren't many movies that even TRY to go the lesbian-turns-straight route), but...I dunno. I like the goofiness of Smith's flicks more than I like the seriousness. It's easier to relate to a bunch of wisecracking know-it-all's whose main goals in life are to watch movies, get high, get drunk, get laid, and have some witty banter here and there that sometimes falls flat. I know a big criticism of Smith is that nobody actually goes into monologues about meaningless topics (ie. Superman's sex life), but that's the thing: I know a lot of people that DO go into monologues about meaningless topics (such as mine regarding thrash's superiority to power metal, and various tales of my girlfriend's brother and my friend Chris' exploits into booze and narcotics).

Not so much agree. I think Chasing Amy is crimanally underated.

The one movie I feel can't be touched, though, is Clerks II. It is EVERYTHING that View Askew fans could ask for: conflict, resolution, gross-out humor, holier-than-thou nerd attitudes, and a hot female co-star (Rosario Dawson, awwwwwwww).

100% agree.

I don't see how you can overrate Chasing Amy. Okay, one of the focal points of the film features a loud, screechy squil of a voice yell HOLDEN alot, but once you ignore that, it really is a great film.

I do feel clerks is overrated, Dogma is a little underrated, Mallrats was what it was and JSBSB is a little overrated.

I do feel chasing amy is the best one i've seen, at least up until that retarded "we need to have a threesome to resolve this" thing. at which point it somehow started to feel like the same old overrated kevin smith nonsense.

I liked the monster truck-style Batmobile, AND the relatively cheap-looking costume. Everything was supposed to be Bruce Wayne in his infancy as Batman, so it makes sense that the designs of his stuff are kinda lame.

Katie Holmes, though, should've off'd herself after showing her tits in The Gift. Fuck Dawson, fuck Disturbing Behavior (even though I like it, and think it's Nick Stahl's best role), it's all about her knockers.

The biggest downside was to Batman Begins was her fucking SMIRKING all through the damn movie. Every scene, she was smirking. I just wanted to take a sander to her face to stop it.

On the Batmobile in Batman Begins...

That's only supposed to be a prototype. As the movies goes by, it'll evolve to the familiar batmobile that you're used to seeing. It makes perfect sense to the storyline since he's supposed to be starting out.

Clerks gets way, way too much love. Chasing Amy is still Smith's best movie to date.

Two problems with Chasing Amy = Ben Affleck and Joey Lauren Adams.

Terrible, the pair of them.