TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Darth Vader

5 Greatest Intercontinental Champions

Jericho was booked pretty bad throught his tenure with the 'Fed, especially in his first several months. He came in so incredibly red hot, and they just shelved him for months with nothing to do, in nothing feuds with the likes of Road Dogg, X-Pac (round 1), and Chyna for months.

4: Mr Perfect - Not so much for drawing crowds but some of the best matches with the title with him as champion

Which are those? I don't remember that many great matches, really, except his loss to Bret Hart (and he had a better one, non-Title with him at KOTR.)

Well, the trouble I have with most of the choices, those being the Bret Harts, the Rocks, the Randy Savages, and the others are the fact that winning the Intercontinental Championship was far from being the highlight of these men's careers. People remember Bret Hart more for his multiple WWF Title reigns or as a member of the Hart Foundation. The Shawn Michaels that was Intercontinental Champion was at the crossroads of his career. And The Rock and Stone Cold, while great IC champs, the belt just seems to be just another notch in their achievements in the long run. Ultimate Warrior used it only as a stepping stone to the top. Only Randy Savage I could see, because the held the Intercontinental Championship like it was a World Title, despite later becoming a multiple time World Champion himself.

This is why I asked for criteria. I can think of a million different ways to look at it.

There's:

Top 5 guys who did the most for the belt

Top 5 guys who the belt did most for

Top 5 guys for whom the belt was their crowning moment

Top 5 guys who had the best matches with it

Top 5 favorite workers that ever held it

Top 5 best workers that ever held it even if their reigns weren't the greatest

etc.

As for the bottom-five lists, there's no way Marty belongs on there. I mean, yeah, his reign wasn't much, but it did result in two legit great matches, one of the first "Holy crap" moments on Raw, and the debut of Diesel (which was at least a significant debut). There's no way he belongs on a bottom five list instead of, say, Road Dogg.

I'll agree with the Umaga selection. Totally pointless.

Shawn Michaels: It all depends on your criteria, but I don't know how anyone could honestly try to claim he's in the bottom five. I'm a huge Bret Hart fan and I've always hated Shawn's bullshit too. He definitely deserves to be knocked for all the crap he did, but bottom five just doesn't make sense to me.

Perfect is a guy who mostly seemed important with the IC title. But then once I thought about it he really didn't have that many great matches as IC champ. The match where he beat Santana in the IC finals was good, as was losing to Bret, but between then? His feud with Von Erich didn't produce much worth noting (not really Hennig's fault), his feud with Bossman was okay but never had a clear resolution. I think he had a house show feud with Bulldog in 1991 that was okay but not great. In the end I put him #4 on my list since he was a very credible champ but his feuds in 1990-91 weren't the greatest.

The story of Jarrett holding the title up for six figures isn't really true. He didn't get any additional money for jobbing the belt, he just got his PPV return bonus early. Plus he got to choose how he was going to job it.

Then whats with the hatered Vince has for Jarrett like when he buried him on similcast Raw.

Because Jarrett did hold Vince up, just not for money. Sort of. Jarrett's contract had expired the day before the PPV, so Jarrett had no legal obligation at all to show up. Jarrett agreed to show up and put Chyna over, but he wanted all the money his contract called for, PPV money, merchandising, etc, up front. Vince hated that, even though he could have just buried Jarrett as a chicken and a coward, by painting him as too scared to even show up after what Chyna did to him the month before, and paid Jarrett his money on the same timescale as everyone else. For whatever reason, likely because Chyna was getting the big push, Vince agreed to Jarrett's demands and has held it against Jeff ever since, hence the firing on live TV.

#5 Chris Jericho

#4 Razor Ramon

#3 The Honky Tonk Man

#2 Mr. Perfect

#1 The Macho Man Randy Savage