TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Playoffs 2007: Conference Semifinals

Well the suns certainly played 5 on 8 for good portions of this game. I will probably be called a homer for that, but goddamn.

I still expect the suns to win the next one, so whatever. Good way fight till the end.

Ripper, if the Suns don't win the next one they are for all intents and purposes screwed. Looks like we're headed for Spurs vs. Pistons II regardless of whether anyone outside of those two cities wants to see it or not.

You know, the NBA isn't ever going to rise back out of that #3 pro sport standing until some interesting teams start winning titles. I've come to the conclusion that the NBA's popularity goes as the Eastern Conference goes. The West is for the most part just kinda the West, which is to say there's usually a good number of quality teams in it historically that can come out of it (Lakers being the most notable obviously, but seemingly everyone has had some kind of run in the West). But the East is where the NBA's biggest group of markets exist and there needs to be some group of Celtics, Bulls, Knicks, Sixers, and Pistons being upper tier teams to make the league credible. Right now it's just the Pistons doing anything of those teams, and while the Bulls have improved they obviously aren't any serious sort of contender judging by the current series. The Pistons historically work as that antagonist team that can win on occasion but are moreso a heelish foil for the popular teams (Lakers, Bulls, etc.).

The league is in a shitty position because they don't have very many marketable players. Everyone hates Kobe. ESPN pushes the shit out of LeBronze, so everyone hates him too. Steve Nash doesn't connect with kids in the inner city (I hope I don't catch shit for this, but it's a fucking fact), and Dirk is a German.

There isn't much that can be done about their position. What it is now is what it will always be.

At times I think that the NBA doesn't care that they're the number three sport in America. You know Stern loves the fact that guys like Nash, Dirk, Yao, etc. being among the league's elite only helps them go global.

It's just like movies. They know that they can always make money when they take it international.

Guest George's Box

Oh, man. The Spurs are death.

America: "Enough of this Kobe vs. Iverson basketball! This is a team sport!"

NBA: Spurs win two out of three years

America: "We take it back."

Oh, man. The Spurs are death.

America: "Enough of this Kobe vs. Iverson basketball! This is a team sport!"

NBA: Spurs win two out of three years

America: "We take it back."

SLAM ANTONIO~! with the New England effect.

Ripper, if the Suns don't win the next one they are for all intents and purposes screwed. Looks like we're headed for Spurs vs. Pistons II regardless of whether anyone outside of those two cities wants to see it or not.

Oh I agree. I am just pissed that the officials are handing the spurs games here. I mean, last night, at least 3 of Amares fouls were complete and utter bullshit. On one end they are calling touch fouls on the suns and on the other they are showing replay after replay of the suns players getting hacked when going to the lane and no call. Whats even worse, every angle you can see the official looking right at the play. Bruce Bowen has suddenly been allowed to handcheck all he wants to, since duncan is a good shot blocker he is allowed to come straight through a guy and grab his arm and thats the same as a shot block. Its just ridiculous. If they call it the same on both sides I have no problem but its not even close right now.

yeah Duncan got away with some shit there...there was at least one spot where he literally threw a guy out of the way to clear the boards and I was shouting at the TV.

and someone needs to do something about Bowen's knees to the nuts move.

If they don't at least fine Bowen for that it is just getting comical. The second someone punches his bitch ass in the jaw, they are going to get suspended, but there is nothing done about a guy that is quite literally on the court trying to injure people.

I honestly don't see how he wasn't ejected after that.

and then the commentators said it was a perfectly legal move.

KNEEING A GUY IN THE NUTS???

Yeah, He was just trying to step through and Nash was close. Only he never stepped through, He kneed him and stepped right back to where he started.

I'm glad that somebody else noticed. His bias towards teams that he played for and players he played with is nauseating.

Whenever he broadcasts a Laker game, I make sure to TiVo it. And then I go watch Game 4 of our sweep against the Kings in 01 and laugh.

I'm talking about Jon Barry, btw.

To be fair, the Spurs took it just as hard from the refs in the third quarter of Game 2, and throughout much of the Denver series.

The league is in a shitty position because they don't have very many marketable players. Everyone hates Kobe. ESPN pushes the shit out of LeBronze, so everyone hates him too. Steve Nash doesn't connect with kids in the inner city (I hope I don't catch shit for this, but it's a fucking fact), and Dirk is a German.

how out of touch with the real world are you? almost anybody who doesn't spend two or three hours a day on this forum who likes basketball likes lebron james. the only people who get pissed that "espn pushes the shit out of lebron" are the kind of people who use phrases like "push", "face" and "heel" to describe the nba.

edit: i realized i didn't want to make a hasty generalization, so i changed "anybody" to "almost anybody". sorry for the inconvenience.

Guest George's Box

What about fans of the Bulls and the Pistons? Do they like the star of their divisional rival?

I don't like Lebron James. One, he plays for the Cavaliers, and is thus an obstacle to the Bulls. Two, I just don't derive that much enjoyment from watching him play. Three, he refers to himself as a "global icon" and had a bas-relief made of his head. Four, he's wearing 23, which is known to everybody as Michael Jordan's number, when he should be wearing his own number. Jordan is 23, Bird is 33, Magic is 32. Everyone knows that. Pick something else. You're not Michael Jordan.

Guest George's Box

Well, disaster averted, I guess, but the Pistons will crush the Bulls in game 5.

I caught the end of the Bulls-Pistons game and it said only three teams have come back from 0-3 to force game seven.

I know Nuggets-Jazz in 94... what were the other two?

how out of touch with the real world are you? almost anybody who doesn't spend two or three hours a day on this forum who likes basketball likes lebron james. the only people who get pissed that "espn pushes the shit out of lebron" are the kind of people who use phrases like "push", "face" and "heel" to describe the nba.

edit: i realized i didn't want to make a hasty generalization, so i changed "anybody" to "almost anybody". sorry for the inconvenience.

I make generalizations all the time, so I have no problem saying that everyone hates LeBron. I know a lot of people that do, that better? I don't really hate LeBron, I just wish he would work on his jump shooting and free throw shooting. Then he would be close to the "perfect player".

And I have never used one of those phrases to describe the NBA.

I cringe everytime Stephen Jackson decides he's going to try to beat someone off the dribble and makes up his mind that he won't pass the ball no matter what. Only time anything good comes of it is if he gets fouled otherwise it's usually a steal or a terrible shot.

Ugh... The Utah nightmare will not end.

Phoenix better make a comeback, because a Spurs/Jazz series would be lame beyond belief. I can just see it now... Each team shooting 45 FTs a game, getting in the penalty with 9 minutes to go every quarter... *Shudder*

Man, Utah is impressive with their crunch-time grit. I never really realized what a good roster they have, but Boozer and Memo is a GREAT complimentary frontline, Deron is sick, and AK47, when he's playing well, is right up there with the Tay Prince, Battier, and Bowen as really essential defensive minded wings. I didn't really pay attention to them until the last 2 games of the Houston series, but since then, I've been very impressed, they are a sleeper team that could imo sneak in and win it all.

Phoenix better win their series, not so much because a spurs/jazz series would be boring to me, since I'm a Jazz fan, but because I have the utmost confidence we would beat them in a series. We've had their and the Pistons number the past two years and that could potentially end up being our path to the title.