TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

OAO Sacrifice PPV Thread

I think having a dominant guy is a good thing for a smaller promotion that is trying to attract new viewers, or even a larger company trying to expand (WWF in the mid 80s). Why did people watch the WWF initially in the 80s? Because Hulk Hogan was THE MAN and was this highly credible world champion. Sure, people got into other wrestlers too but Hogan was that guy who brought fans in because he was dominant.

On a smaller level I think ECW had perhaps its largest audience when they had very dominant champions like Taz and RVD with belts. When you are trying to attract fans it's easier to get them into a show that has dominant guys on top and easy characters and concepts to grasp. Does ANY of this apply to TNA? They have about 10 main event level guys but nobody is especially dominant and their characters and concepts often take an hour to explain to the uninitiated.

This was, actually, a really enjoyable PPV. The only thing that ruined it slightly was the main event - but isn't that TNA's speciality recently?

I thought the Texas Deathmatch was going to suck, but I'm glad I was wrong. They put on a real good match, had some good spots, insane bladejob and a nice touch that they'd actually kick out of pin attempts now and again - haven't seen that too much in Texas Deathmatch's I've seen in recent years.

The opening X-Division match was great way to open the show, even if it was starting to turn into a bit of a spotfest, it got the crowd alive.

If Dixie Carter claims to be in the crowd and absorb the atmosphere as much as does, then hopefully she's picked up on what the crowd are enjoying - although this isn't an excuse for more gimmick matches.

As expected Tiger Mask got zero pop, even less so then the Bashams.

It was nice to see the Steiners reunite again after almost 10 years of them splitting up due to the NWO.

You know, I too noticed that aspect of the Texas Deathmatch. As in both of them kicking out. It's different but it seemed quite foolish to me. Why kick out and let your opponent keep pounding away? Take the 3 count and then you have a 9 count to rest a bit.

Now you mention it, I guess it was 'wrestling instinct' to kick out of a pin fall? Or maybes they're not that clever.

For as excited I was that Angle was announced as joining TNA, am as disappointed and almost regretful he did join. I'm tired of him already, he's just this 'Angry shouty man'. He's going to take a real main event place from Joe/Daniels/Styles, and will probably be crowned the new TNA Champion at Slammiversary, which by all rights should belong to Joe/Daniels/Styles.

Same with Sting, is he retiring at the end of this year?

EDIT: I just watched the main event again and the no sell by the crowd when the match is over made me wet my pants with laughter. You can almost see the disbelief/anger in Angle's face that no one is cheering. The front row behind him are deadpan bored/uninterested - it sums up TNA's Main Event picture right now. Is it possible they cut from the show quickly due to the none reaction to Angle 'Winning' the belt?

Eh. I don't really see Christopher Daniels as a serious main event guy. He just doesn't have that "it" quality. Besides, he's going to end up jobbing to Sting anyway.

The lack of a reaction for the main event is easy to understand, since the finish was very confusing. No one bought that Angle was really the champ so there was no pop for it. The quick cutaway at the end made me think "WTF was that?"

I was never sold on Angle making a difference in TNA. First, I knew he was likely going to come in and they'd put him over their main guys (which they did with Joe and Joe has never totally recovered). Second, while Angle was a top guy in WWE he doesn't really have any diehard fanbase that will follow him to the ends of the earth. Has losing Angle really hurt WWE in any way? I don't see how it has. I think RVD would be a bigger signing for TNA, since he at least has a devoted fanbase and also can work in the heavyweight division, the X division, or if they want to sign Sabu (if Sabu is released) then he can tag as well. Third, Angle reeks of someone who is washed up. Last, TNA's booking has done him no favors. I'm still not sure what Angle even IS right now since he isn't exactly a face, isn't a heel, and he's not morally ambiguous enough or cool enough to pull off being a tweener.

I bet that Angle is booking his own angles. He always mentioned in his past interviews that he hated doing the comedy and wants to have a serious badass gimmick.

I haven't finished watching this ppV yet, and after the first 4 matches I was going to delete it after I was done.

But holy mother of god that was one hell of a deathmatch. First off I was doubtful, and the fans chanting TNA during some bog-standard crowd-brawling just made it look like a poor man's ECW. But then came the bladejobs.

Harris's had me thinking "Hmm.. that's a lot of blood, he's probably gone a bit deep", but Storms? That is the craziest bladejob I've ever seen, and I reckon it beats all the Foley/Funk/Muta ones people go on about.

Is it possible they cut from the show quickly due to the none reaction to Angle 'Winning' the belt?

TNA cut away from everything far too soon in a mad rush to cram as much in as possible. After the Texas Death match, which was really good, they focused on Harris for about fifteen seconds before cutting to that botched Sting promo. No replays of the big spots from the match, no post-match deal with Harris getting to his feet and standing over Storm. Nothing. They just rushed into the next segment before any of it could sink in. It's why nothing gets over as well it can.

Is it possible they cut from the show quickly due to the none reaction to Angle 'Winning' the belt?

TNA cut away from everything far too soon in a mad rush to cram as much in as possible. After the Texas Death match, which was really good, they focused on Harris for about fifteen seconds before cutting to that botched Sting promo. No replays of the big spots from the match, no post-match deal with Harris getting to his feet and standing over Storm. Nothing. They just rushed into the next segment before any of it could sink in. It's why nothing gets over as well it can.

Actually you are wrong - they recapped the highlights from that deathmatch and commented significantly on it AFTER the Sting promo. They certainly put the match over, more than most of the other bouts, with a retrospect on it not immediately after the match, but a few minutes afterwards.

I take the Angle deal at the end with them cutting away so quickly was just to make people tune in on Thursday to check the show out, like of like a "WTF just happened, better watch to find out" type idea.

For what its worth, this was TNA's best ppv IMO since lord knows when. Pretty much every match except VKM shit was at least *** and a few really were something, such as the Deathmatch, X division title match as well.

Actually you are wrong - they recapped the highlights from that deathmatch and commented significantly on it AFTER the Sting promo. They certainly put the match over, more than most of the other bouts, with a retrospect on it not immediately after the match, but a few minutes afterwards.

I take the Angle deal at the end with them cutting away so quickly was just to make people tune in on Thursday to check the show out, like of like a "WTF just happened, better watch to find out" type idea.

For what its worth, this was TNA's best ppv IMO since lord knows when. Pretty much every match except VKM shit was at least *** and a few really were something, such as the Deathmatch, X division title match as well.

Wouldn't it have been a good idea to recap the match right after the match, like it's normally done, instead of letting the enthusiasm and momentum fade away?

Given TNA's penchant for rushing from one thing to the next as soon as possible, I think it more likely it was the usual attempt to get as much stuff in as they could instead of letting things sink in.

I'd agree that it was TNA's strongest PPV in quite some time.

If TNA would just cut out 1 lame match per show they would be better off. Let's face it, the world doesn't need this goofy VKM/Hemme angle, so get rid of it and use that extra 10 minutes or so to push the important stuff.

The Bashams weren't over whatsoever, mark that down as another Ex-WWE talent bombing the iMPACT Zone (Angle, VKM). Infact, I'm pretty sure I heard a Bashams Suck chant on the iMPACT before Sacrifice. It's a shame really, as the Bashams are actually pretty decent.

Wouldn't it have been a good idea to recap the match right after the match, like it's normally done, instead of letting the enthusiasm and momentum fade away?

Given TNA's penchant for rushing from one thing to the next as soon as possible, I think it more likely it was the usual attempt to get as much stuff in as they could instead of letting things sink in.

I'd agree that it was TNA's strongest PPV in quite some time.

If they were just trying to cram shit in and not give time to put over important parts, the retrospective highlights and thoughts on the deathmatch from Tenay and West wouldnt have even happened - period. To me, them doing as they did made much more of an impact then them just recapping the match like any of the other bouts right after the match. They breaked off, did the Sting promo, let the action from that match sink in a bit, and then covered it. WWE has done this many times over as well and it seems to emphasize certain matches or moments better than the norm (right after the match, treating it like any other match/angle).

Cutting away from the TD match as soon as it was over killed the buzz. They didn't give people time to savor Wildcat's win before giving them something else they had to concentrate on. It would have been much better to stay focused on Harris for a minute or two, have Tenay and West talk the match up and show highlights, and then go to the Sting promo. It would have let people digest what they'd seen and really enjoy it, and it would have gotten over better because people would have been given the time to let it sink in before having to concentrate on something else.

It was nice to see the Steiners reunite again after almost 10 years of them splitting up due to the NWO.

It already happened in WCW, didn't it?

Possibly, but I can't really remember, stopped watching WCW by 2000ish.

They were in the same stable during WCW's last few months (tangent: WCW was great the last three months it was in existance -- shame it had already dug its own grave by then). But after Scotty joined the NWO they never tagged together again.

They were in the same stable during WCW's last few months (tangent: WCW was great the last three months it was in existance -- shame it had already dug its own grave by then). But after Scotty joined the NWO they never tagged together again.

The Steiners reunited just over ONE year after Scott went nWo. It took place at Slamboree 1999. Scott's back injury prevented them from doing any matches together.

However, they DID tag up a couple of times when they reunited again during the last months of WCW. I remember them losing a tag match to DDP & someone else (I'm thinking The Cat or Dustin Rhodes) on Nitro.

Yeah I seem to recall both Steiners doing that idiotic dog attack angle with Sting at GAB 99 and some other stuff with Tank Abbott later.

The problem with the Bashams is that they are sorta competent workers but they have no standout skills. People from time to time hype their OVW work as though it's something revolutionary, but believe me, these guys weren't exactly out there having ****1/2 matches on a nightly basis. In fact I recall one show where Benoit came down to OVW to work Doug Basham and Basham managed to get a crappy match out of Benoit.

The Steiners reunited just over ONE year after Scott went nWo. It took place at Slamboree 1999. Scott's back injury prevented them from doing any matches together.

However, they DID tag up a couple of times when they reunited again during the last months of WCW. I remember them losing a tag match to DDP & someone else (I'm thinking The Cat or Dustin Rhodes) on Nitro.

Hmm, interesting. I don't remember the '99 deal (I wasn't watching WCW much at that point. Despite what anyone says about Russo, this Nash-booked era was much, much worse). Not sure why I don't remember them tagging together in 2001, but good call Hitman.

I remember Nash brought in Rick Steiner to help him in a handicap match to try and get the World Title off Scott, but then after beating his brother up for the match, Rick turned on Nash and Scott retained. Like no-one saw that one coming.

Cutting away from the TD match as soon as it was over killed the buzz. They didn't give people time to savor Wildcat's win before giving them something else they had to concentrate on. It would have been much better to stay focused on Harris for a minute or two, have Tenay and West talk the match up and show highlights, and then go to the Sting promo. It would have let people digest what they'd seen and really enjoy it, and it would have gotten over better because people would have been given the time to let it sink in before having to concentrate on something else.

Agreed. I felt the same after the AJ/Rhino Last Man Standing Match at Final Resolution. Rhino chases AJ off backstage and they go into recapping the main matches, then have AJ and Rhino come back after about a minute, by which time you'd already stopping thinking "eh, that was an odd ending" and virtually forgotten about the whole thing. I guess that one made a little more sense in that Rhino had to catch AJ and drag him back. But still, the gap between the chase and them re-appearing again killed the buzz of what was happening.