TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dobbs 3K

Rev. Jerry Falwell

Not that I want to feed the feeling of persecution that motivates the Westboro Baptist Church, but wouldn't it be grand if Phelps' funeral had a huge mob to picket it?

Jerry's will.

WBC will Preach at Jerry Falwell's Funeral!!

WBC will preach at the memorial service of the corpulent false prophet Jerry Falwell, who spent his entire life prophesying lies and false doctrines like "God loves everyone".

There is little doubt that Falwell split Hell wide open the instant he died. The evidence is compelling, overwhelming, and irrefragable. To wit:

1. Falwell was a true Calvinistic Baptist when he was a young preacher in Springfield, Missouri, and sold his soul to Free-Willism (Arminianism) for lucre.

2. Falwell bitterly and viciously attacked WBC because of WBC's faithful Bible preaching -- thereby committing the unpardonable sin -- otherwise known as the sin against the Holy Ghost.

3. Falwell warmly praised Christ-rejecting Jews, pedophile-condoning Catholics, money-grubbing compromisers, practicing fags like Mel White, and backsliders like Billy Graham and Robert Schuler, etc. All for lucre -- making him guilty of their sins.

Falwell is in Hell, Praise God!!

Hitchens' touching eulogy.

Not that I want to feed the feeling of persecution that motivates the Westboro Baptist Church, but wouldn't it be grand if Phelps' funeral had a huge mob to picket it?

Jerry's will.

WBC will preach at the memorial service of the corpulent false prophet Jerry Falwell, who spent his entire life prophesying lies and false doctrines like "God loves everyone".

There is little doubt that Falwell split Hell wide open the instant he died. The evidence is compelling, overwhelming, and irrefragable. To wit:

1. Falwell was a true Calvinistic Baptist when he was a young preacher in Springfield, Missouri, and sold his soul to Free-Willism (Arminianism) for lucre.

2. Falwell bitterly and viciously attacked WBC because of WBC's faithful Bible preaching -- thereby committing the unpardonable sin -- otherwise known as the sin against the Holy Ghost.

3. Falwell warmly praised Christ-rejecting Jews, pedophile-condoning Catholics, money-grubbing compromisers, practicing fags like Mel White, and backsliders like Billy Graham and Robert Schuler, etc. All for lucre -- making him guilty of their sins.

No matter how much I hated Falwell was, he was still better than Phelps.

Yeah, as much as Falwell sickens me, he is no where close to the level of Phelps. Phelps is so batshit crazy he'll even picket the funeral of someone else who spoke out against homosexuals.

Yeah, as much as Falwell sickens me, he is no where close to the level of Phelps. Phelps is so batshit crazy he'll even picket the funeral of someone else who spoke out against homosexuals.

Maybe Phelps thinks he's some kind of homosexual fighting Highlander?

There can be only ONE!

Okay, I'm not too fresh on what the ACLU has been up to, so I'll give you that, but Bill O'Reilly is a horrible source. He has about zero credibility with me due to the nature of his television show, which seems to follow the same formula every night.

1) Bill brings on a guest.

2) Bill disagrees with guest.

3) Bill is out-argued by guest.

4) Bill shouts and/or cuts off the guest's mic.

And repeat.

Yes, there are most certainly some very clear instances where Bill has done this to guests, but it FAR from the norm. Anytime bill ever does this to a guest they are either A. Lying, B. Not answering questions, or C. Ranting and raving with no discernible point or purpose. I don't know why people give O'Reilly such a bad rap, he's probably the most fair guy on television right now whether you love him or hate him, and I'm not sure whether that says something about Bill O'Reilly, or Television Journalism as a whole, but whatever.

If you really believe that then you need to watch more shows. Bill sits there and makes things up on a regular basis. One time I heard him say that abortion should be illegal because it can NEVER ENDANGER THE LIFE OF THE MOTHER. That is not opinion, it is a flat out INCORRECT statement. O'Reilly is a liar, a propagandist, and has no business being on television presenting himself as being anything resembling fair or balanced.

Abortion should be illegal because it can never endanger the life of the mother? That doesn't even make sense, and doesn't sound even slightly correct. O'Reilly has been fairly consistent with his stance on abortion, only for rape and when life of the mother is endangered. What he's rallied against so viciously over the years is late term abortion which is something entirely different.

I apologize, I should have been more clear. He said that abortion should be illegal because a mother's life will never be in danger due to pregancy.

This is from MediaMatters.org, which is kind enough to keep track of the bullshit.

Summary: On his radio show, Bill O'Reilly falsely claimed that it "is never the case" that a "mother's life is in danger" during pregnancy because "you can always have a C-section and do those kinds of things." In fact, several potential pregnancy complications, such as an ectopic pregnancy, which is "the leading cause of pregnancy-related deaths in the first trimester" or preeclampsia, which "affect up to one in seven pregnant women" can threaten the life of a pregnant woman.

On the October 11 edition of his nationally syndicated radio show, Bill O'Reilly falsely claimed that it "is never the case" that a "mother's life is in danger" during the course of a pregnancy. In fact, there are several potential pregnancy complications that can threaten the life of a pregnant woman. For instance, an ectopic pregnancy, which the Mayo Clinic estimates occurs in "[a]bout one in every 40 to 100 pregnancies," is a condition in which the zygote, a fertilized egg, attaches itself outside of the uterus and "may destroy important maternal structures" with the potential to cause "life-threatening blood loss." According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), ectopic pregnancies "are the leading cause of pregnancy-related deaths in the first trimester." Additionally, other potential pregnancy complications, such as preeclampsia, which can cause HELLP syndrome and eclampsia, can also threaten the life of a pregnant woman.

O'Reilly was speculating that "legal abortions" "may not be the law of the land, unfettered, much longer" because the courts are considering several cases challenging the constitutionality of laws restricting abortion rights. O'Reilly mentioned that "South Dakota, as you know, has voted to outlaw abortions unless the mother's life is in danger, which is never the case, because you can always have a C-section and do those kinds of things." Later, O'Reilly claimed that "a new CNN poll" found that "45 percent" of respondents "say all abortions should be outlawed unless the mother's going to die -- or catastrophic health consequences, which, again, is never the case -- never."

But, as the CDC noted, "Ectopic pregnancy, also known as a tubal pregnancy, is a potentially life-threatening form of pregnancy in which implantation of the fertilized egg occurs outside the uterus." The Mayo Clinic further noted that, despite O'Reilly's claim that "you can always have a C-section" if a complication occurs:

An ectopic pregnancy can't proceed normally. The developing embryo can't survive, and the growing placental tissue may destroy important maternal structures. Without treatment, life-threatening blood loss is possible.

Ectopic pregnancies are extremely risky and, according to the Mayo Clinic, even treatment can "lead to loss of reproductive organs or infertility." "Without treatment," the Mayo Clinic warns, "the stakes are even higher. A ruptured fallopian tube may lead to life-threatening bleeding." According to the CDC, "Ectopic pregnancies are the leading cause of pregnancy-related deaths in the first trimester and account for 9% of all pregnancy-related deaths in this country."

Treatment for ectopic pregnancies mandates a termination of the pregnancy, most often by a form of therapeutic abortion. Therapeutic abortions are performed when a woman's life is directly threatened by the pregnancy and saving the fetus is not an option. According to the Mayo Clinic:

If the ectopic pregnancy is detected early -- when the zygote is small and hasn't caused bleeding or rupture -- an injection of methotrexate may be used to stop cell growth and dissolve existing cells. If the pregnancy continues after treatment with methotrexate, more medication or surgery may be needed.

Methotrexate was previously commonly used for most non-surgical abortions before the legalization of Mifeprex, also known as RU-486. According to a research study conducted by Dr. Josie L. Tenore and published in the February 15, 2000, American Family Physician medical journal, "single-dose regimens" of methotrexate "have had a success rate of 71 percent" in treating ectopic pregnancies, and "[t]he success rate increases to 84 to 94 percent with the addition of a second single dose."

Also, other pregnancy complications, such as preeclampsia, can be life-threatening to the pregnant woman. According to the Mayo Clinic, "Preeclampsia is a common problem during pregnancy, affecting up to one in seven pregnant women around the world," and "is defined by high blood pressure and excess protein in the urine after 20 weeks of pregnancy." The Mayo Clinic adds that although conditions of preeclampsia in the United States are "usually mild," if "left untreated, it can lead to serious, even deadly complications for you and your unborn baby." The clinic also reports that preeclampsia "and other high blood pressure disorders during pregnancy are a leading cause of maternal and infant illness and death" in the world. Severe preeclampsia occurring early in the pregnancy is especially risky for a pregnant woman and her fetus.

Preeclampsia can cause HELLP syndrome and eclampsia, both of which are potentially life-threatening to a pregnant woman. According to the Mayo Clinic, HELLP syndrome -- which involves "the destruction of red blood cells," "elevated liver enzymes," and "low platelet count" -- "occurs in up to 12 percent of women with preeclampsia, and it can rapidly become life-threatening":

It can cause liver failure and problems with blood clotting (coagulation), which may pose a high risk of death to you or your baby. This syndrome is particularly dangerous because it can occur before you exhibit signs or symptoms of preeclampsia.

Eclampsia, as defined by the U.S. National Library of Medicine, "is the occurrence of seizures in a pregnant woman. The seizures are unrelated to brain conditions and usually happen after the 20th week of pregnancy." According to the Mayo Clinic:

"This life-threatening condition can develop when signs and symptoms of preeclampsia aren't controlled. Eclampsia can permanently damage your vital organs, including your brain, liver and kidneys. If left untreated, the condition can cause coma, brain damage and death to you or your baby."

According to the Mayo Clinic, "many cases of preeclampsia can be treated by inducing labor right away." While in most instances doctors attempt to control the pregnant woman's preeclampsia until she is 36 weeks into her pregnancy, according to the Mayo Clinic, "In more severe cases, it may not be possible to wait." Though rare, therapeutic abortion has been used to treat preeclampsia conditions.

Also, on the October 11 edition of the Radio Factor, O'Reilly hosted anti-abortion rights activist Mark Crutcher, president and founder of Life Dynamics, who likened pro-choice activists like Feminist Majority Foundation president and Ms. Magazine publisher Eleanor Smeal and the Supreme Court justices who decided the landmark abortion case Roe v. Wade to "Adolf Hitler." O'Reilly asked Crutcher: "Do you ever put yourself in the position of Ms. Smeal and the judges who voted for Roe v. Wade?" Because, O'Reilly added, "they don't see themselves as murderers." Crutcher responded: "Well, I'm sure Adolf Hitler didn't see himself as a murderer, either. What they see themselves as is irrelevant to the argument. It's what they are, not what they see themselves as that's important." O'Reilly responded: "Now, if somebody doesn't have your belief system, how will you ever convince them -- how will you ever convince them when you're outright accusing the Supreme Court justices of being murderers? How will you ever convince them?"

From the October 11 edition of Westwood One's The Radio Factor with Bill O'Reilly:

O'REILLY: All right, "Culture War" segment. Here we go. Ms. Magazine is running "We had abortions" articles, and they're asking for American women to identify themselves and discuss their abortions that they had. All right, now, you can decide whether that's poor taste, whether that's bad -- to me, it's a very, very personal issue. I don't think I'd want the world to know what I'm doing or on any kind of surgical procedure, but I understand there are people who feel pro-choice is under siege, and they have to step up or whatever. So, I'm kind of on the sidelines on that.

Now, they're asking celebrities. So far, four celebrities have come up and done it -- Amy Brenneman, plays Judging Amy; Kathy Najimy, she was in -- what was that? -- Sister Act movie and Veronica's Closet on TV; Gloria Steinem, of course, the founder of Ms. Magazine; and Carol Leifer's a comedian, Jerry Seinfeld's ex-girlfriend. Anyway, they all said they had abortions, and I guess they're proud; or I don't know what they are.

Anyway, it makes me a little queasy. Since 1973, there have been 40 million legal abortions in the U.S.A., and it's the law of the land, and it may not be the law of the land, unfettered, much longer because the Supreme Court's hearing a whole bunch of stuff. South Dakota, as you know, has voted to outlaw abortions unless the mother's life is in danger, which is never the case, because you can always have a C-section and do those kinds of things. And partial-birth abortion, obviously, is the big, big issue for what the United States Constitution says because you have to protect life, and after 26 weeks, there's life, whether you cede it or not, it's true -- scientifically speaking, of course.

[...]

O'REILLY: Forty-five percent of Americans, according to a new CNN poll -- 45 percent say all abortions should be outlawed unless the mother's going to die -- or catastrophic health consequences, which again, is never the case -- never. Fifty-one percent say, "No, abortion should stay the way it is. Roe v. Wade should stand." There's a plus or minus of 4.5 percent in the poll, so that's about even, all right. So, that's a lot of folks that say no to abortion in the U.S.A. -- a lot. You very rarely hear their point of view on -- in the media because the media's almost 100 percent pro-choice.

[...]

O'REILLY: OK, so the Supreme Court rules in favor of Roe v. Wade, and you're saying that the judges who voted for Roe v. Wade are killers, and they're killing on purpose?

CRUTCHER: Absolutely.

O'REILLY: OK.

CRUTCHER: For one thing, if you read the decision itself, you will see in there that they sidestep that issue. They clearly stated you do not have to deal with the issue of when life begins in order to justify abortion. That is absolutely obscene.

O'REILLY: OK, now listen -- but that's your opinion. But what I'm trying to get at is: Do you ever think about the opposition? Do you ever put yourself in the position of Ms. Smeal and the judges who voted for Roe v. Wade? Do you ever go -- 'cause they don't see themselves as murderers.

CRUTCHER: Well, I'm sure Adolf Hitler didn't see himself as a murderer, either. What they see themselves as is irrelevant to the argument. It's what they are, not what they see themselves as that's important.

O'REILLY: OK. Now, if somebody doesn't have your belief system, how will you ever convince them -- how will you ever convince them, when you're outright accusing the Supreme Court justices of being murderers? How will you ever convince them?

Okay, I know this doesn't look like this has anything to do with Jerry Falwell, but I'm simply discrediting a source spman used to argue that Falwell wasn't that crazy to begin with due to all these "left" people who want to censor Christianity while accepting Islam. This is all very rediculous, and anyone who wants to cite O'Reilly as a credible source is going to be in trouble, because there is a MOUNTAIN of stupid, simple false statements Mr. O'Reilly has made over the years.

I do think the "mother's life in danger" thing gets used way too much. I don't think any rational person thinks an abortion is wrong if the woman's life is seriously threatened.

Whatever, I'm not going to argue with whatever liberal smear blog you copied and pasted that from, that more then likely took whatever he was saying out of context anyways.

It is a pretty stupid statement regardless of whatever context it was in. And don't call it "liberal" just because it doesn't agree with you and has more than backed up it's argument with a little something called FACT.

It is a pretty stupid statement regardless of whatever context it was in. And don't call it "liberal" just because it doesn't agree with you and has more than backed up it's argument with a little something called FACT.

Media Matters is a left wing smear site, that's really not up for debate. Again, you feel the way you do, and that's fine, I'm not trying to make you change your beliefs. I on the other hand need more than some dubious facts from a site that has been known to misrepresent pundits and politicians that don't agree with their liberal agenda.

I picked MediaMatters.org because it was a convenient way to quickly find the quote I was thinking of. Regardless of their political slant, that is a bullshit thing to say under any circumstance. And of course MediaMatters.org is up to debate on whether or not it is a "smear blog" the same way that Fox News is up for debate as being a propaganda faux news channel. The fact of the matter is that O'Reilly is a terrible source for you to cite because everywhere I turn around, he is saying something so stupid and discredible that he is a true embarassment to the conservative idealology. I wouldn't believe O'Reilly if he told me the sky was blue.

So if mediamatters is really not up for debate, then why don't you show me some evidence of them misrepresenting someone, because O'Reilly's quotes speak for themselves.

Edit: After digging a little deeper, I see that "liberal smear site Media Matters" is a direct O'Reilly quote. Go fucking figure.

I do think the "mother's life in danger" thing gets used way too much. I don't think any rational person thinks an abortion is wrong if the woman's life is seriously threatened.

Sam Brownback says hi.

Media Matters is a left wing smear site, that's really not up for debate. Again, you feel the way you do, and that's fine, I'm not trying to make you change your beliefs. I on the other hand need more than some dubious facts from a site that has been known to misrepresent pundits and politicians that don't agree with their liberal agenda.

I think spman actually is Bill O'Reilly posting here on the board. Read the fucking statement and see if it's out of context, guy. Basically all MediaMatters does is post the transcript of dumb shit O'Reilly says.

Rather than calling them "dubious facts" and saying no more, why don't you explain what makes what ErnieRowe posted "dubious?"

Seriously, man, "left wing smear site" is straight out of the O'Reilly Bullshit Cliche Lexicon: 3rd Edition (Harper-Collins Press, NY).

Guest mst3krules

Jerry's will.

No matter how much I hated Falwell was, he was still better than Phelps.

Irrefragable? Is that like "cromulent" or "embiggen"?

eh, Phelps' outlook on life is a lot more henious than Falwell's, but the difference is, Phelps is looked at as a goon by pretty much everyone but his own family who have been brainwashed since birth and has been marginalized over and over, where as Falwell has probably negatively impacted more people's lives and is seen as a much more mainstream figure and a lot more widely accepted by conservatives and republicans.

eh, Phelps' outlook on life is a lot more henious than Falwell's, but the difference is, Phelps is looked at as a goon by pretty much everyone but his own family who have been brainwashed since birth and has been marginalized over and over, where as Falwell has probably negatively impacted more people's lives and is seen as a much more mainstream figure and a lot more widely accepted by conservatives and republicans.

Excellent point. Phelps only has his website to spew his bullshit, while Falwell had national television exposure. I've only seen Shirley Phelps on Fox News one time, and even Hannity couldn't stomach her.

You know, I never really wish people would just be dead, because that is pretty damn evil. But fuck it. I WANT TO SEE FRED PHELPS DIE SO WE DON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS GODDAMN BULLSHIT.

Ann Coulter On Jerry. With some pretty choice (insane) quotes.

Beginning in early 1998, the news was bristling with stories about a children's cartoon PBS was importing from Britain that featured a gay cartoon character, Tinky Winky, the purple Teletubbie with a male voice and a red handbag.

I don't know what's weirder. The fact that she thinks Falwell's comments about the Teletubbies was rational, or that she apparently can't grasp a concept like the definition of the word "cartoon."

Well speaking of Phelps, looks like Mrs. Phelps is working on a Grammy for best group video 2007....

http://media.uselessjunk.com/videos/081127...hates_video.wmv

I wonder if Mike Tyson is in the crowd because at one point, a chorus line claims, "You'll eat your children" LOL.

albert-fish-1.jpg

He didn't have any children, but still...

Ahh....Ann Coulter....I especially love the line that "liberals hated Jerry more than they hate me"...well...guess what you tranny bitch....now that he'd dead...we can re focus on airbags like you....

Phelps might be the funniest man alive today.

There's been this crazy preacher guy on my campus latley who could slmost be a dead ringer for Phelps attitude wise. I got to see him last Friday, and he's a fucking riot.

Guest Mos_Def

why were Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton shoehorned into this thread? And why would people celebrate their deaths...what crimes did they commit other than being hypocritical, glory hounds who were, above everything else, brave civil rights defenders who dedicated their lives to fighting racism.

Ya'll listen to Limbaugh too fucking much.

Guest George's Box
why were Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton shoehorned into this thread? And why would people celebrate their deaths...what crimes did they commit other than being hypocritical, glory hounds who were, above everything else, brave civil rights defenders who dedicated their lives to fighting racism.

Haha, you're a black guy. Jesse's done much worse than attention-whoring.

Neither cared much for the Jews.