TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Atticus Chaos

Most shocking award snubs?

Jim Carrey got getting a best picture nomination for either Truman Show or Man on the Moon or hell even Eternal Sunshine. I thought he would have got at least ONE nod out of those.

But Paul Giamatti not getting a nod for Sideways just shocked the hell out of me. I had him as the virtual LOCK for a nomination.

Bas Lurman (I am sure I just misspelled his name) not getting a director nod for Moulin Rouge.

you guys might think I'm crazy, but I thought Sean Astin's performance in Return of the King was fantastic and more than worthy of a Best Supporting Actor nod.

Joaquin Pheonix not getting an award for Gladiator. Russell Crowe played himself in the movie and won an award. He didn't do anything special or out of the ordinary then be his normal self. I can understand getting it for A Beautiful Mind, but not for Gladiator.

Also, Pan's Labyrinth really should have won for best Foreign Film last year and should have been nominated for best picture.

Joaquin Phoenix losing to Phillip Seymour Hoffman for the Best Actor nod in 2005.

Really? Have you seen Capote?

I can understand thinking Phoenix should have won, but I wouldn't call that shocking because Hoffman was great.

you guys might think I'm crazy, but I thought Sean Astin's performance in Return of the King was fantastic and more than worthy of a Best Supporting Actor nod.

Indeed..

:cheers:

I agree on Astin, he should have been nominated. In terms of snubs, how about the various times Scorsese has been screwed out of best picture? Or are those exactly shocking snubs since they happened several times?

As far as Citizen Kane goes, I have to wonder if it would look so snubbed today if it had lost out to a better movie than How Green Was My Valley. For instance, if The Maltese Falcon had swept the Oscars would this have seemed like such a snub?

Alan Arkin winning the Best Supporting Actor Oscar over Jackie Earle Haley, Djimon Hounsou, and Eddie Murphy this year.

Ed Norton, Tom Hanks, Nick Nolte, and Ian McKellen losing to Roberto Benigni in the Best Actor category.

Ellen Barkin losing to Julia Roberts. Though it's really not shocking as much as it is unfair.

Pulp Fiction should have won an oscar, DiCaprio should have one too and on the tv side it's a shame that Walton Goggins was never even nominated for a price, this guy is incredible

Will Arnett probably should have been nominated for Best Supporting Actor before the 3rd season of Arrested Development. Would have been nice for him to win, too, when he finally did get a nod.

The Fountain not getting nominated for best score at this year's Oscars.

Very much agreed. Watched it today and was blown away enough that I purchased it when I returned my rental. The score was incredible, the directing was (as is par for the course w/ Aronofsky) spectacular and I'd even go as far as to say that Jackman was Best Actor nod-worthy.

Wasn't Citizen Kane snubbed due to the politics of the time?

Yeah, Kane was patterned after William Randolph Hearst. But still, it's friggen Citizen Kane.

And I second the lack of Score nomination for The Fountain.

Requiem For A Dream didn't get nominated for best score either and that's a shame. Clint Mansell did the score for both The Fountain and Requiem, I'd say The Fountain might be a little better. The song Death Is The Road To Awe is unbelivable.

A weird one for me is I believe that Jeff Goldblum got snubbed for a Best Actor nomination for his performance in the remake of The Fly. He conveyed emotion in both forms of the Seth Brundle/Brundlefly character.

Oz I believe was never nomimated for an Emmy and it was a great show. I can understand not giving it a nod for best lead actor or actress since it was such an ensamble piece, but it was a great show that never got it's due.

Also, most horror movies have better make-up then most "commerical" movies and they never get nominated for that award. Even the special effects award can go to a horror film. Shows Hollywoods lack of respect for the genre.

JK Simmons could have easily won SOMETHING, though...be it Best Supporting Actor or whatever. He's the only one that really stands out from that group.

Guest TheFabulousJakey

It's weird and obscure now, but I remember in 2002 everyone was saying Dennis Quaid was gonna win the Oscar for "Far From Heaven" (Best Supporting Actor), and then he wasn't even nominated.

Gwyneth Paltrow in Shakespeare In Love beating Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth for Best Actress was poor form.

I don't think Paltrow deserved to be nominated, never mind winning. She's not that great in Shakespeare in Love in all honesty. I'm not sure why she got all that acclaim for a fairly average performance.