TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ravenbomb

Acapella songs

Acapella music is my #1 guilty pleasure. I love Rockapella and shit like that. I occassionally listen to this college radio station show that is three hours of acapella songs. You'd be surprised at what songs get the acapella treatment. I've heard a version of Dexter Freebish's "Leaving Town" a couple times, whose idea was it to do an acapella version of that?

Mr. Grieves was good.

Songs I've gotten so far:

"Llorando" by Rebekah Del Rio

"Tom's Diner" by Suzanne Vega

"Me and a Gun" by Tori Amos

"War" by Sinead O' Connor

and recently "Mr. Grieves" by TV On the Radio

There's always "For the Longest Time," which sucks ass. I'm getting some serious Andy Bernard vibes from this thread. As a rule I kind of hate a capella, but definitely love the hell out of the TV on the Radio cover, and their almost-as-good "Ambulance."

It's so Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday-Boyz 2 Men

Yesterday-Boyz 2 Men (cover of the Beatles song...Beatles, right?)

If She Only Knew-NSync...that's right goddammit...NSync...

There's always "For the Longest Time," which sucks ass. I'm getting some serious Andy Bernard vibes from this thread. As a rule I kind of hate a capella, but definitely love the hell out of the TV on the Radio cover, and their almost-as-good "Ambulance."

Well, I'm not necessarily looking for that particular kind of acapella, mostly just singing without the instrumental part.

If we're going to suggest any Rockapella song in here. We're going to have to suggest "Zombie Jamboree", it's the best acapella song I've heard about zombies invading New York City.

Yes, I can name two Rockapella songs.

I know next to nothing about naming any a capella songs, but I must say that Boyz II Men, at least on Cooleyhighharmony and II were the shit.

Oh, and "One Sweet Day" from Mariah Carey's Daydream owned all in 1996.

If your into weird stuff:

Captain Beefhart has quite a few odd Acapella songs with him seemingly searching for lyrics and trying out rhymes on "Trout Mask Replica."

Vocal acrobats: Diamanda Galas, Mike Patton, Phil Minton, and Demetrio Stratos have all released impressive but freakish Avant Garde Acapella records.

Captain Beefhart has quite a few odd Acapella songs with him seemingly searching for lyrics and trying out rhymes on "Trout Mask Replica."

Vocal acrobats: Diamanda Galas, Mike Patton, Phil Minton, and Demetrio Stratos have all released impressive but freakish Avant Garde Acapella records.

I've got some Trout Mask Replica, and I've been trying to track down a version of Llorando that Mike Patton did when Peeping Tom were at the Fillmore and got some of his stuff from Adult Themes for Voice.

An acapella group to check out is called The Blanks. This is the same group that appears on Scrubs. They actually aren't that bad.

Plus, Rockapella is awesome. Where in the world is Carmen San Diego? Simply classic.

Guest George's Box

"The Dust Blows Forward And The Dust Blows Back"

Boyz II Men was an awesome group. They could sing.

Oh, come on.

Anything by the Beach Boys. 'Our Prayer'; 'Graduation Day'; 'And Your Dreams Come True'. There's a capella versions of every Pet Sounds track available.

Too obvious however.