TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nate

June WWE 24/7 Disscussion

Invader, I understand where you're coming from. Anarchy Rulz was a very good PPV from what I recall, and I understand what you mean regarding Storm and Lynn. Yes, Lance Storm had the charisma of a damp rag and yes Jerry Lynn never meant anything outside of feuding with Van Dam. But the thing is, as mentioned in my previous post, at least Heyman let these guys go out and do their thing. In Sept. 99 were Jericho or Eddie really doing their thing? I can't say they were. And while Jericho is certainly more charismatic and better on the mic than Jerry Lynn to suggest he's a better wrestler than Lynn is silly.

That said, you're of course 100% correct on Justin Credible. Him beating Sabu was all the more sickening and disgusting if you were following the storyline at that point, which had Justin running like a bitch for 4 months or so and getting restraining orders to prevent Sabu from killing him. And when Sabu finally gets him in a match....he jobs. WTF?

As far as the RVD/Balls match goes, some people like it a lot...some hate it. I'm somewhere in between. It's decent enough but they had matches as good or better on Hardcore TV.

RVD/Balls would have been better had it gone 12-15 instead of almost 20. Paul had a major problem when it came to having matches go almost twenty minutes when fourteen minutes would have been better. RVD/Balls is one example. RVD and Sabu/Hayabusa and Jinsei Shinzaki is another.

This month's PYBO poll is three Great American Bash shows. 1990 (Sting/Flair, Luger/Callous and Midnight Ex/Southern Boys), 1996 (Giant/Luger, Bischoff/Outsiders angle and Benoit/Sullivan) and 2005 (JBL/Batista, Mysterio/Guerrero and Taker/Hassan). 1996 looks like the strongest show.

Dear God... 2005 better not win. Superbrawl III getting chosen over ONS 2005 has given me hope for either of the WCW shows, though. I'll be voting for 1996 since I've never seen the entire thing.

I want to see 1990, if only for Taker vs Lex Luger. My feeling is also that I have the good stuff from Bash 96 over a span of DVDs (Dean/Rey on Rey's DVD, Benoit/Sullivan on the Benoit DVD, Eric being powerbombed by Nash on either the nWo or MNW DVD) but I wouldn't mind seeing the whole thing.

RVD/Balls would have been better had it gone 12-15 instead of almost 20. Paul had a major problem when it came to having matches go almost twenty minutes when fourteen minutes would have been better. RVD/Balls is one example. RVD and Sabu/Hayabusa and Jinsei Shinzaki is another.

IIRC there was also a RVD/Spike Dudley match that went nearly 25 minutes on an episode of TNN.

There is a fine line between allowing wrestlers to "do their thing" and running out of ideas, having your roster raided, guys in rehab, and injuries.

I have to question if Paul was giving out all these long, drawn out matches during this timeframe for aesthetic reasons or because he was drained creatively

Guest Kenny Dykstra

Started watching Anarchy Rulez '99, and so far got through Lynn/Storm. My god what an awesome match. I never really followed ECW but jesus the talent they had was off the charts. I was more into, and am, ECW's "WRESTLING" matches, instead of blood & guts, not to say i'd piss on it, because i respect that aswell, but when you let two extremely (no pun intended) wrestlers go out there for 10-20 minutes and put on a wrestling classic like i have just witnessed, it certainly pays off to be a wrestling fan.

I'm so glad that the 'newer' ppvs arn't winning PYBO because it's much more rare to see the older 90's and 80's shows, which i enjoy more anyway. Especially WCW.

The '96 GAB was a really good show...isn't there a solid Dean Malenko match on there, too? Plus, with the historical importance of that show, it's worth watching again.

Funk/Lawler empty arena match was brutal and hilarious at the same time. I could not stop laughing at Funk. Everything and I mean everything he did had me rolling. When Lawler finally showed up wearing his crown and cape, I thought to myself "what a goof". Then Funk pointed out how fucking silly Lawler looked, I was rolling.

This has nothing to do with 24/7 but seems as appropriate a place as any to mention this (note: maybe the July 24/7 thread could also have a sub-title making it somehow include any wrestling a person could watch on digital cable - ex. ESPN Classic Canada, The Fight Network, one of those British channels). I saw some of a show called "UWF Blackjack Brawl" from 1994 on ESPN Classic Canada. It was pretty weird because it had guys that you'd think would draw a good indy crowd (Snuka vs Cactus Jack and Sid vs Dr. Death were the two big matches, The Killer Bees and the Warlord were on the undercard) but if there was 100 people in that crowd I'd be surprised. Actually, one shot looked like there happened to be a lot of people on the hard camera side while the sides the hard camera looked at were virtually empty, but still. I only saw bits and pieces but it didn't seem that great (not a shock).

I think Blackjack Brawl was the show Foley talks about in his book where he wrestle Jimmy Snuka in a lumberjack match that ended in a double countout. They booked The MGM Grand (A 22,000 seat arena) for the show and only about 300 people showed up.

600 according to prowrestlinghistory.com. I remember seeing the card on Sportschannel 48 in Philly but didn't get to see the whole thing. To give you an idea of the kind of promotion Herb Abrams ran, the selling point was EIGHT title matches.

Blackjack Brawl

September 23, 1994 in Las Vegas, NV

MGM Grand Hotel drawing 600

Shown live on SportsChannel

1. Danny Spivey beat Johnny Ace to win the first UWF Americas Title when manager Missy Hyatt threw in the towel.

2. Jack Armstrong pinned Mando Guerrero (4:24)to win the first UWF Junior Heavyweight Title.

3. Sonny Beach beat Dr. Feelgood (5:24) via DQ to win the vacant UWF TV Title.

4. UWF Southern States Champ Bob Orton, Jr. DDQ The Finnish Hellraiser (5:16).

5. Little Tokyo pinned Karate Kid (7:07) to win the first UWF Midget Title.

6. Samson pinned The Irish Assassin (4:30).

7. Tyler Main pinned Stevie Ray (6:27) to win first UWF MGM Grand Title

8. Candi Divine pinned Tina Moretti (3:24) to win vacant UWF Women's Title.

9. The Killer Bees beat Warlord & Power Warrior (Larry Power) (11:30) to win the first UWF Tag Title when Blair pinned Power.

10. Cactus Jack DCO Jimmy Snuka (8:40) in a "lumberjack" match.

11. UWF Champ Steve Williams beat Sid Vicious (10:45) via DQ.

Tina Moretti later became known as Ivory. I remember Mando came out to Weird Al's "Taco Grande."

if I'm not mistaken, GAB has that awesome Malenko/Mysterio match for the cruiserweight title...other than that, the show is crap.

that Monsoon show is interesting...I had no idea he got into it with Muhammed Ali...AND made him look like a little bitch!

I loved Monsoon's post scuffle interview . . . He doesn't know a wristlock from a wristwatch! How is he gonna get in there with a wrestler?!? Great as a boxer (starts to walk away) terrible as a wrestler!!!

if I'm not mistaken, GAB has that awesome Malenko/Mysterio match for the cruiserweight title...other than that, the show is crap.

that Monsoon show is interesting...I had no idea he got into it with Muhammed Ali...AND made him look like a little bitch!

The Ali in wrestling stuff has gotten glossed over in wrestling, possibly because Ali/Inoki was such a fiasco. It certainly made the WWWF look better in that their guy could handle Ali and the best Japanese wrestler could not.

Granted, I haven't watched GAB '96 since I was a kid but I remember it being pretty good. IIRC, there's a good Sting/Steven Regal TV title match on there.

Guest Kenny Dykstra

I should be getting an update tonight, if so hopefully it'll include SVS 2002. :D

GAB 96 is probably one of WCW's best shows ever, so if you don't like that one there's frankly no hope of ever getting into WCW. It has Rey/Dean, Sting/Regal (which was quite good), the Benoit/Sullivan brawl that winds up in the bathroom when such things were novel, and Kevin Nash beating the shit out of Bischoff. If it had a better main than Luger vs. Giant it'd be in the discussion for best PPV ever.

What is it with their obsession with certain shows anyway? I've had 24/7 for a while now and they just keep pimping the hell out of GAB 90 and 96. How about the 1991 debacle? Or the bizarre 1992 show? Or ANYTHING else? GAB 05 better fucking not win that poll. That might be the only PPV where I actually turned off the TV for a few minutes...it was after Orlando Jordan beat Benoit in the US title match.

did it seem like with the 6 man with Gorilla Monsoon cut off too soon since that was a 3/5 fall match (BTW it was Monsoon/Ivan Putski/Haystacks Calhoun vs The Blackjacks and Bugsy McGraw from MSG on 10/13/75)

I should be getting an update tonight, if so hopefully it'll include SVS 2002. :D

I assume that's not until next week, after AR99 expires.

I think we're getting Superbrawl III and No Way Out 2007 tonight.

well by what i can figure all we get this week is a new Prime Time Wrestling, ECW show, No Way Out 2007 and maybe Superbrawl 3 depending on the cable providers

http://daemen.edu/~ceagan/UWF/ A UWF tribute site, of all things. Here's a hilarious item:

"08/26/1990 - Press Conference - New York, New York

Notes: Herb Abrams held a press conference at John Arezzi's wrestling convention in New York, unveiling the Universal Wrestling Federation. The event was memorable because he announced that Bruiser Brody was the company's booker and Adrian Adonis would be brought in as an active wrestler. At that point in time, both men were dead. Cactus Jack first met Herb Abrams at this convention and agreed to join the UWF. An angle was ran at the press conference with Dan Spivey attacking B. Brian Blair. Footage of the attack was aired on the premiere episode of Fury Hour."

I re-subscribed to 24/7 Online after this whole weird problem last summer where I got a new credit card and couldn't get a new account for whatever reason. The problem is, nothing will work - it keeps saying "Windows Media Player cannot play the protected file because the required security upgrade is not available for download". I really do want to watch that 50 Most Despicable moments thing.

That sucks to hear. Well, it's only 10 Despicable Moments although it is about 55min. Kinda reminds me of an old Coliseum Video. Has DiBiase ruining that kid's day by kicking the ball away on the 15th dribble, Orton spitting on Foley, the Piper/Snuka Pit, Knox dumping Kelly Kelly, Hogan's BATB turn, The Rockers' split, Bundy squashing Little Beaver, JBL firing Jillian Hall, Flair's Unforgiven turn, and of course Edge's World Championship victory.

I wonder if the problem is with your WMP. If you don't have the latest version, maybe you need it. Wish I had a better answer.

I updated WMP and had to deal with that whole genuine advantgae fiasco, causing me to roll back to WMP 10. I'll look into it.

Edit: Looked into it, I had to do some computer trickery of finding the hidden DRM folder and renaming it DRMBACKUP, then I was prompted to install the security upgrade the next time I tried watching something. It's all good now. Love that they upgraded to 750k.

Finally, a reason to look forward to WWE repeating matches online.

Guest Kenny Dykstra
NWO 07 is held off until NEXT week it seems, according to the Sunflower cable provider - http://www.sunflowerbroadband.com/cable/on...ng/?network=wwe

This schedule often is missing PYBOs and the Legends roundtable.

Thanks for that. It sucks that some of that is now held off, or from what i expected. Not disappointed, as this months lineup has been better then May's. Next month, as long as GAB 2005 doesn't win, it'll be a stacked lineup.

Guest flairfan

Ok, on WWE's website, it says Superbrawl III will be on 6/6.. But guess what it aint!!! Did anyone get it this week?