TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 5/28 - 6/3

I find it hilarious that some people are calling this a dirty and bush league play. Please, seriously. We all do that stuff when playing sports. It's not A-Rod's fault that those dumbasses don't recognize each other's voices. And A-Rod said he said HA!, and if you look at the replay it looks that way. If that distracts you then you should blame yourself.

Oh and whoever posted that Torre quote, finish it.

"Said manager Joe Torre: "I don't know what to feel for it. It's not like he said, 'I got it.'"

Secondly on A-Rod, that woman, according to Kellerman is some kind of hostess, or personal party planner that he knows personally. That seems to be the case because theres no way in hell A-Rod would be that stupid to take her EVERYWHERE he goes, unless she's like there to plan stuff for him.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he said 'Hah', which Clark could have thought was 'mine' since he was concentrating on catching the ball. It was also Clark's first game in Toronto this year, I don't even think he was in Blue Jays camp in Spring Training, so I'm not sure if he's played with MacDonald before last night.

Anyway, the thing the bugs me the most about it was that he wasn't really involved in the play. People are comparing it to fielders trying to deke baserunners by faking them out, but all those players are involved in what's going on. A-Rod was just running by and wasn't really part of the play (or wasn't supposed to be, anyway).

Also, it's A-Rod, who's a lightning rod for shit like this. And when the best player in the game pulls a bitch move like this, it's going to piss people off even more than it would if another player did.

I guess. I just think people are overreacting a bit. And I figured players would do that more often. Guess not. A-Rod said it's happened to him before.

The A-Rod thing doesn't really bother me morally or as a baseball fan, but it is aggravating that such a great player gets caught pulling this bush league crap all the time. He should be better than that.

It's not bush league. Bush league would be trying to trip the guy who's catching the ball. Saying HA is not really bush league.

Actually if it was me, I probably would be yelling "I got it" :D anyhow well never know the full truth or whether or not it really affected the outcome of the game (though a 10-5 lead is way better than 7-5 lead). Im just glad the Yanks finally won a game this week.

actually "HA!" is no worse than what I yell at the screen when a ball is popped up (usually yell unintelligeble sounds at the TV hoping to jinx the other team and for once it worked last night)

Alex's answers were pretty good, he mentioned that this sort of thing happens to him all the time at 3rd base when he is on defense. That kind of shut up the reporters.

as for "bush league"? remember in the words of the Late Eddy G. "If you're not cheating, you're not trying!"

The first one was to break up a double play, and the 2nd one when you think about it is a lot better than running the guy over which is legal. Bush league would be trying to hurt somebody for no reason at all. The dude was trying to win a game.

There are a lot of things players do in the name of "trying to win a game" that are still bush league. Quit trying to rationalize things and just accept the fact that the guy's a bit of a low-class player.

Well, first off he's lying to everyone by saying all he said was "Hah." That doesn't even remotely make sense. Lying seems to be an admission that you know what you did was wrong and you're ashamed of it enough to not want to admit doing it. Also, though, Jays commentators and players both said that they had never in their careers seen someone do that, that it was "bush league," and that the Yankees don't normally play like that. (Glaus said that he had never seen anything like it in 30 years). It doesn't "happen all the time."

I don't really care that much that he did it, but I think lying about it shows he's a pussy.

Quit trying to sell me on saying HA as bush league. That's laughable.

Look at the replay. He said HA.

People just love taking shots at A-Rod. Where was all of this when he was in Texas? Did he just suddenly become the king of bush league? They're just using him as the best player on the Yankees, and saying man the Yankees wouldn't do that, that's not the Yankee way, and all this other bullshit to say that A-Rod is a dirty player. Come on now.

Just looked at the standings for the first time in awhile... yikes. How bad is the NL Central?

Pretty much as bad as last year, as far as I can tell.

Watch them make a fourth straight trip to the WS just to keep fucking with everyone

Clarke clearly had the ball under control before he let it drop. Why would he do so if he heard what he believed to be MacDonald shouting "ha!"

The fact that he let it drop to begin with shows how bad concentration he has. Not to mention the differences in voices between a 6'4 hispanic and a 5'2 white guy would be much easier to hear when saying mine than HA. He didn't even look that pissed anyway. It was McDonald who was throwing the hissy fit.

Just looked at the standings for the first time in awhile... yikes. How bad is the NL Central?

Pretty much as bad as last year, as far as I can tell.

Watch them make a fourth straight trip to the WS just to keep fucking with everyone

I wouldn't be terribly shocked. Milwaukee has just as good a shot as anyone else in the NL right now.

Well, based on the rulebook, he caused interference. It doesn't matter if he said "ha" or "mine." He confused the infielder. And, let's not delude ourselves into thinking he's telling the truth. Arod did not say "ha," he said "mine." The only real reason he would have to lie is to cover up how stupid he was in thinking the outfielder had it by saying "ha," instead of "I got it" or "mine."

He said HA. They've shown close ups of the play.

And the rule is pretty vague. What if he was yelling at a teammate or something. Hypothetically, telling him to go to get down on a slide or something while rounding the bases and the fielder gets distracted. That would be stupid to count that as interference. Which is why saying ha or mine is some difference.

We talked about this last week (?) but here's a nice blog post linked off Deadspin today about the subject...

Reyes or Hanley?

I side with the author but I can't really fault anyone for going with Reyes.

John Dewan of the Fielding Bible ranks Hanley Ramirez as the worst defensive shortstop in the major leagues by a considerable amount. If that's true and he is forced to move off the position, he is going to be a far less valuable player. I'd take Reyes in a heartbeat.

John Dewan of the Fielding Bible ranks Hanley Ramirez as the worst defensive shortstop in the major leagues by a considerable amount. If that's true and he is forced to move off the position, he is going to be a far less valuable player. I'd take Reyes in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't trust two months of defensive statistics any more than two months of offense. In fact less so, because at least we have confidence in offensive statistics.

I finally watched the A-Rod play and I have to change course. Shouting one word as you're passing the fielder without changing your gait is far from what the rule seeks to prevent. The rule is in place to prevent a runner from taking a point near the fielder and yelling, "I got it, I got it!!" That play was Howie Clark's mistake more than anyone else's.

My problem with it is not that it was cheating or interference or whatever, I just think it was a bush league move that a player the calibre of A-Rod shouldn't make. He already has a reputation after the move in the ALCS a few years ago and the Pedroia thing and, to me, it kind of cheapens what a good player he is.

I don't think Clark is blameless in the thing, but A-Rod knows what he did was cheap, and from the quotes I've read from Torre and Damon, it didn't seem like they like it, either.

Damon was like woa you could do that? He seemed surprised. The reaction I got from Torre and Damon was that it's not that it's horrible, but it's something that isn't even thought of. Almost like saying that I never would've thought of that.

Yeah, I guess you could see it that way depending on your point of view.

Oh well, the best thing to come out of this situation is this picture:

capt.13c54dd506b145caa2ece0343667727f.yankees_blue_jays_baseball_ajw118.jpg

I'm not sure how they could have been surprised by that. I played baseball through high school and that's certainly something I've seen done on multiple occasions.

I don't think it's bush league.

Guest George's Box
A-Rod has really earned himself a reputation as perhaps the dirtiest player in baseball today

A.J. Pierzynski says hello. Then knees you in the junk.

Roy Halladay was so great tonight that he caused a White Sox player to possibly break his ankle swinging at a pitch. And Toronto wins despite getting two hits. Hurray.