TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Twisted Intestine

OAO One Night Stand

Okay, I laughed my ass off at the stretcher match tonight. It was hilarious on so many levels. For instance:

1. They did do the swerve and Van Dam won by shoving Orton past the finish line. Silly me, I thought a stretcher match meant a guy couldn't continue.

2. Orton kills Van Dam afterwards and then acts like he really did something big, when he in fact just jobbed to a guy with a concussion and who is leaving the company in a matter of weeks.

3. Orton and Edge share their usual homoerotic backstage segment (Randy: "This is such a special night!") and Orton says he'll take Edge's title if he moves over to SD. Despite just jobbing to a guy with a concussion that is leaving the company.

4. I fully expect to read some Observer notes saying Shawn Michaels was pissed about this match, and to be honest I can't blame him. Honestly how does it make him look? He has a concussion and is booked to fall on his face mid match and be stretchered out, but Van Dam got quite a bit of offense and won the match with the same setup.

Khali isn't that bad for a big giant dude

::spit take::

Are you serious? Really? I mean, really?

Khali Pros:

-Is really, really tall.

Khali Kons:

-Has exactly three moves... and that includes punching.

-Can't bump. Literally, he can't take bumps because his weird body can't withstand the impact.

-Can't speak English.

-Once KILLED A GUY IN THE RING.

Compared to guys like Big Show, Undertaker, Andre, or hell even Kevin Nash, Khali is just so clumsy and immobile that he can't do shit in the ring.

On the OTHER hand, he's been booked really, really badly over the past month. So the unbeatable invincible giant monster... tapped out like a bitch to the weakest submission move on the planet in his very first match with Cena? And then beats him in the rematch... but since it's on SNME, nobody saw it. And then gets pinned on the very next night. Where does the nigh-unbeatable almost-invincible still-giant no-longer-monster go from here?

Khali Kons:

-Can't bump. Literally, he can't take bumps because his weird body can't withstand the impact.

-Can't speak English.

From what i read it wasnt his fault the guy he was wrestling botched a move.

Khali Kons:

-Can't speak English.

It wasn't Khali's fault...nor the student who got killed. It was the trainers fault...and the word "botched" is the wrong word to use and to be honest, I'm insulted you would use that word for the sitution.

The trainers at the gym had Dalip work with some of their students. I think the move Dalip was doing was the double choke slam. The kid went up, and Dalip threw him down...but the kid didn't bump correctly. He was still new, he didn't have bumping all the way down yet and the back of the kid's head smacked the ring. The kid knew he was hurt and told the trainers that he was in a lot of pain. The trainers didn't care and told both of them to do it again, so they did....and the same thing happen, but this time the kid got KO'd and died later.

Khali Kons:

-Can't speak English.

It wasn't Khali's fault...nor the student who got killed. It was the trainers fault...and the word "botched" is the wrong word to use and to be honest, I'm insulted you would use that word for the sitution.

Thats what i read I didnt meant to insult you if i did then i apologize.

I've heard like a dozen different descriptions of exactly what happened, with all different moves: body slam, flapjack, sidewalk slam, backdrop, spinebuster, dominator. All of them have one thing in common: they're not moves that you want a 7'3" giant giving to an untrained kid. And if it WAS indeed a double chokeslam like you said, jesus christ, don't you think Khali should've spoken up and said to the WWE office: "Hey guys, maybe I shouldn't be using this as my FINISHER every night considering I once killed a guy with it."

His fault or not, still, he's a huge, strong, clumsy guy. And to my knowledge the only wrestler working for the WWE who, on his application at the part where it asks "Have you ever caused death to an opponent? If yes, please explain" had to check Yes.

The facts about the poor unfortunate Mr Ong and the rich and prosperous Mr Singh.

http://www.hershlaw.com/caseinv/ci_oth_cp.html

The case was filed by Norman and May Ong of Concord, California on behalf of their son Brian Ong who died as a result of injuries suffered during an Open Gym night at All Pro Wrestling in Hayward. Brian Ong, then 27 years old, began All Pro Wrestling Hayward's Beginner's Camp in March, 2001 and was fatally injured on May 28, 2001 as a result of being thrown to the mat twice after being asked to volunteer to "receive" a professional wrestling move (called the "flapjack") from a 7 foot, 400 pound wrestler who was being specially trained by APW to be a professional wrestler.

The evidence showed that Brian Ong "had his bell rung", meaning having some sort of head injury and being woozy and disoriented after being thrown to the mat the first time he tried the move and was killed after being thrown the second time.

Mr. Ong, age 24, enrolled in All Pro Wrestling's Hayward, CA Boot Camp and was fatally injured as a result of being thrown to the ground in a practice wrestling maneuver. According to the complaint, Mr. Ong suffered a concussion during a practice session and instead of being advised to seek medical attention and take time off from his training to fully recover, he was given a lower evaluation for not avoiding injuries and was told to continue practicing and performing.

The complaint goes on to state that Mr. Ong, at 5 feet, 7 inches and 185 pounds, was subsequently pitted against a sparring partner more than twice his size and that the enormous disparity in size between Mr. Ong and his opponent, a massive 7 feet, 3 inches and weighing 400 pounds, increased the risk of harm to Mr. Ong. He was thrown twice off his sparring partner's shoulders, lost consciousness when his head hit the floor and died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. All Pro Wrestling did not provide Mr. Ong with any protective gear or any supervision by APW staff, and the floor mats provided were not adequate to cushion the impact of such maneuvers.

http://www.khali.info/the-great-khali-brian-ong-incident (with handy diagrams).

What happened was that, Brian Ong got towards Khali, Khali got down, Brian hopped on his back, but as Khali got up and pushed him above, Brian didn't bounce off in tandem and instead he grabbed Khali's shirt, which caused him to turn 90 degrees and land on his skull.

(Note that the latter source also says that the majority of Khali's critics are either racist, people who think all wrestling sucks, going with kayfabe, Undertaker marks or cruiserweight fans, so it might be a little biased.)

The WWE needs to learn a serious lesson. They've been putting too much product into a short period of time, and their product is still overexposed right now.

Normally, I'd enjoy a Hardy Boys ladder match, even though it'll follow the same formula as every other ladder match they've ever been in, but I actually enjoy feuds that make sense, and have been built up. It's ridiculous that the WGTT challenges the Hardys, and the Hardys make it a ladder match themselves.

Here's my predictions:

Cena vs. "Great" Khali - They've been building towards a Khali title run, and I think Hogan-esque Cena will drop the title this time. If Cena wins, again, who's his next opponent? If Khali wins, he has a returning HHH to contend with, which, I don't mind at all.

Lashley vs. McMahon - I've said this numerous times at various boards, this isn't 1998 anymore, and Lashley isn't Austin. I've never cared about this feud, or Lashley for that matter. Anything other than McMahon getting squashed is an insult to the fanbase, and to Lashley as well. I predict that McMahon will lose, but he'll lose because Shane's interference will backfire. A cheap victory for Lashley over the 60+ year old McMahon who's unable to take bumps anymore.

Edge vs. Batista - Edge has to take the victory here, because if he loses, he'll never escape the transitional champion shadow he's been under. Edge needs a long, clean run as champion. I'm betting on some type of interference in this one as well, probably Henry. At least we'll get Kane/Batista vs. Edge/Henry out of it!

Hardy Boys vs. WGTT - Yay, another formula ladder match involving the Hardys of all people. This feud is six days old. This will surely be the match of the night, even with it's unoriginal concept and flow.

Six man tables match - New Breed will win this one. Dreamer and Sandman will be eliminated early, if it's an elimination bout, leaving Punk to fend for himself. Punk will do all he can to win, but gets cheated in the end.

Henry vs. Kane - Another few day old feud, and another PPV loss for Kane. Speaking of which, when was the last time Kane won at a PPV? I cannot remember.

Pudding Match - Fantastic idea. Two unattractive women fighting in pudding. Candice wins.

RVD vs. Orton - This is likely RVD's last WWE match, so we all know he's going down to the Concussion Maker, Randy Orton. Strecher matches are something of old, and don't really fit in with modern wrestling.

Did you just call Melina and Candace Michelle unattractive? Well then if you're a dude you simply have to be Liberache-like Gay. If you're a girl you're probably one of those jealous as hell types because you look like Rosie Odonnel of something.

Sorry to all the Smarks here, but the main reason i'd watch the show is for the pudding match. I could give two shits about Cena Khali...I don't want to see 65 year old (or whatever his age is) Vinnie Mac---the new King of extreme---wrestling LAshley who would in reality kill him in 5 seconds---or just about any other match on the card. This is probably the weakest PPV line up i've seen in a while, but the idea of Melina and Candace in bikini's rolling around in pudding at least gets my attention.

I'll pick up the DVD next month primarily for that match. I won't pay $50 for this on PPV.

Cena needs to add some credibility and fall with his opponent when he does an "extreme" FU. He just looks like a pussy by just throwing his opponent off a raised surface. But then again, when's the last time he had any credibility at all?

Cena needs to add some credibility and fall with his opponent when he does an "extreme" FU. He just looks like a pussy by just throwing his opponent off a raised surface. But then again, when's the last time he had any credibility at all?

I was a fan of his match with JBL at Judgement Day 2005

the i quit match was awesome

and you know who get over huge being Khali's manager?

Tiger Ali Singh

Tiger Ali Singh

TAS will get over nicely, but it won't hide the fact that Khali is terrible in the ring. It will, however, hide the fact that he is terrible on the mic.

Tiger Ali Singh

TAS will get over nicely, but it won't hide the fact that Khali is terrible in the ring. It will, however, hide the fact that he is terrible on the mic.

Well, right now they would need to completely revamp his character to have him worth a shit on the mic. It would seem a bit odd if suddenly Khali started speaking coherently in his promos. So in the mean time, he would need a mouth piece, and thats when TAS would come in.

Khali Pros:

-Is really, really tall.

Khali Kons:

-Can't speak English.

Compared to guys like Big Show, Undertaker, Andre, or hell even Kevin Nash, Khali is just so clumsy and immobile that he can't do shit in the ring.

On the OTHER hand, he's been booked really, really badly over the past month. So the unbeatable invincible giant monster... tapped out like a bitch to the weakest submission move on the planet in his very first match with Cena? And then beats him in the rematch... but since it's on SNME, nobody saw it. And then gets pinned on the very next night. Where does the nigh-unbeatable almost-invincible still-giant no-longer-monster go from here?

I guess I mean compared to Giant Gonzales or something I think he's had entertaining matches lately for what they are. Thats more what I was trying to say. He like does a leg drop and tries to get reactions from the crowd by putting his arms in the air for ages and making noises. I don't think he's good compared to HBK.

I'm shocked that Khali has improved as much as he has. When he first showed up, I didn't think he could do anything at all, not even fit the mold of the huge monster worker. Now though, you can really tell that the guy really tries out there. He actually looks like an imposing force, he's got the "fall back and get trapped in the ropes" bit down, and just overall I think he's really improved both his offense and defense. Heck, who here would have imagined him taking the FU bump like he did tonight a number of months ago? Maybe by working with HBK and Cena has really helped him, I don't know, but I don't think it's fair to totally and completely bash the guy like we all did when he first showed up.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's a great worker or anything crazy like that. I simply think that he's doing a fine job in his spot, that's all. He's grown into his role very well.

200406_KhaliLegLariat.gif

200704_CanMarKiss.gif

I'm shocked that Khali has improved as much as he has. When he first showed up, I didn't think he could do anything at all, not even fit the mold of the huge monster worker. Now though, you can really tell that the guy really tries out there. He actually looks like an imposing force, he's got the "fall back and get trapped in the ropes" bit down, and just overall I think he's really improved both his offense and defense. Heck, who here would have imagined him taking the FU bump like he did tonight a number of months ago? Maybe by working with HBK and Cena has really helped him, I don't know, but I don't think it's fair to totally and completely bash the guy like we all did when he first showed up.

200406_KhaliLegLariat.gif

200704_CanMarKiss.gif

Yeah, he has come a long way since his debut. He's gone from having a PPV gimmick match with the Undertaker bumped to free TV to headlining 2 straight PPV's. I'll grant it, none of the matches are MOTY candidates or anything, but it definitely shows his improvement, and that the company is gaining some confidence in him.

Khali Pros:

-Is really, really tall.

Khali Kons:

-Can't speak English.

Do you seriously expect Khali bump like TBS? That's precisely why along with horrible booking and character changes, TBS lost his appeal. Khali CAN bump. We've seen it and the less he does bump, the better. He shouldn't be taking back drops and hip tosses. He's taken bodyslams, FU's, dropkicks to the ground, face plants and even a couple falling over the top rope spots. WWE is actually doing something right for a change by not having him be a bump machine like previous big monsters have been.

Of course he can talk english but it doesn't go with his gimmick. Umaga speaks english to but does he use it with his gimmick? No. How is that a real con?

Of course he can do more moves, he does the chop, bear-hug, the roundhouse kick, the double chokeslam and the side-slam because he doesn't need to bust out more moves then that because he doesn't need to. Not every needs to bust out 'Ranas and flying elbows. Less is more with a guy like Khali.

The death has been covered here.

Khali has might quite drastic improvements over the year not just as a personality and understanding how to work a crowd but his in-ring work as well. He gets what his purpose his and does it quite well. He manages to utilize himself in a very sound way.

Guest jonnymack

The less I see of Khali the better. I'll watch this ppv when it comes on 24/7 for the ladder match, edge/batista and rvd/orton but it doesn't sound like I missed too much.

Khali knows very little English. The translator deal isn't solely because it fits his gimmick.

I was going off on what another poster has said about Khali and meeting him at an airport. It's still irrelevant to any Khali criticism.

My DirecTV started to tile out on me and I missed the first 5 or so minutes of the Cena/Khali match due to a huge rain storm we were getting. It came back with them fighting in the crowd and it literally ended about 2 minutes later.

I ordered Judgment Day on a whim, I thought it had an interesting line-up and I had some cash to blow on a boring night. It was the first event I bought since Survivor Series 2001. I had a good time watching it, and I thought it was better than ONS:ER. Then I ordered last night on a whim again, but realized that I probably liked JD more because of the cache of not getting a ppv in almost six years. I think I'll save up and skip these things for another while now. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed ONS as well, especially the cage match, but it wasn't the same. Plus the 3 title matches were simple rematches from two weeks ago.