TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CubbyBr

TNA TV situation

TNA Wrestling canceled a video shoot scheduled for 6/6 in Nashville for the open for the Slammiversary PPV due to Jeff Jarrett and Dixie Carter having to be in Los Angeles for TV contract negotiations. It is not known what television networks they are meeting with. TNA's deal with Spike TV expires in the fall and with the show doing slightly above the network's prime-time average, it would be a strong bet to be retained.

Christian Cage, Chris Harris and A.J. Styles were among a group of appoximately ten wrestlers whose appearences in Nashville for the shooting of the video were canceled.

www.wrestlingobserver.com

Could they be trying to for another one hour show on another network or a complete move somewhere else?

For their sake, I hope they don't wind up pissing off Spike.

How would that effect the status of guys that Spike is paying for like Sting and Angle?

Maybe they're trying to make Spike sweat... kinda turn around and say "we have options, but we'll stay if you give us a two hour time slot."

This could be serious. The Fox-owned MyNetworkTV has been seeking out nontraditional programming (reality & sports) to replace its failed telenovelas. Fox Broadcasting happens to be hq'd in Los Angeles where this meeting will take place. It's hard not to connect the dots here.

TNA would need to produce a massive ratings increase on MyNetworkTV or they would head to the axe with the stuff that got axed this year.

Odds are TNA wants to remain on Spike but they are having a difficult time getting two hours out of them. TNA is under the impression they need two hours and since they have some time, odds are they are just testing some waters. When it is all said and done, I think Spike will keep TNA with a two hour slot and both parties will be pleased.

Because the odds of finding a network that will offer two hours AND help pay for contracts? Slim to none.

Maybe they're trying to make Spike sweat... kinda turn around and say "we have options, but we'll stay if you give us a two hour time slot."

This could be serious. The Fox-owned MyNetworkTV has been seeking out nontraditional programming (reality & sports) to replace its failed telenovelas. Fox Broadcasting happens to be hq'd in Los Angeles where this meeting will take place. It's hard not to connect the dots here.

FOX Broadcasting in general has had some interest in wrestling. If you remember back in 99/2000 when WWE was in negotiations with different companies for a new TV deal. FOX Broadcasting was brought up as a potential candidate for WWE's new home. I don't recall if they had a significant interest in bringing WWE to FOX Broadcasting, but they were brought up. I expected if everything went well... RAW would have been on FX, while Smackdown on the FOX Network.

Wasn't Impact originally on Fox Sport anyway? I remember some dodgy scrolling score bar thingy similar to theres. Besides right now TNA are just managing to keep me interested in their one hour show, not sure I could sit through two hours.

Yeah, they were. (As much as I do and will continue to bitch about TNA, they've truthfully improved a HELL of a lot since those days.)

I wouldn't take this "meeting" stuff too seriously, as I've heard it at least five hundred other times before. JJ and Dixie begged around at every network in the country before Spike finally picked them up as a "fuck you" to Vince for pulling out.

JJ and Dixie begged around at every network in the country before Spike finally picked them up as a "fuck you" to Vince for pulling out.

Didn't Spike pull out from negotiations before picking up Impact? Spike pulled out because Vince wanted a better deal than they were prepared to give, and Vince was then forced to take a deal he didn't really like with USA because he had no other place to go.

Yeah, I forget the details, but Vince was asking for some crazy greedy deal and Spike was just all "hella no". So he jumped back to USA, and Spike was just all "we'll just program more UFC plus we got our own wrestling now LOL".

And of course most of those UFC shows and their wrestling show don't do aswell as WWE programming....

And of course most of those UFC shows and their wrestling show don't do aswell as WWE programming....

Ratings wise, yes, but the UFC name has so much more credibility while being incredibly successful, which I'm sure Spike are happy to be associated with. I think Spike are more than happy with their choice of programming.

TNA, nowhere near. I think the fact that Spike won't let them have more than one hour of programming per week pretty much shows you how much they trust their current wrestling product. UFC on the other hand is growing nicely. They don't have the same consistent weekly ratings that the WWE has, but their PPVs tend to do better. (Of course, UFC gets that money, not Spike.)

--The meeting Jeff Jarrett and Dixie Carter on 6/6 regarding television was at the Fox Executive Offices in Los Angeles. No details as to which of the many different Fox stations, which also includes MyNetwork TV, they were in talks with.

i dont think TNA would be that dumb to downsize from Spike to FSN, more then likely its MyNetworkTV or FX