TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

If Wrestling Had a Draft...

Let's say wrestling had a real draft. What five wrestlers would you pick first for your promotion? Rules are simple. You can pick any wrestlers in the active wrestling universe, even retired/inactive grapplers. If they're inactive however, you have to take into account the difficulty of getting them into the ring. Signability, for lack of a better term. Also, assume that you're running a promotion with an American audience in mind.

In no particular order...

Undertaker

Rob Van Dam

Samoa Joe

AJ Styles

John Cena

I'm assuming this is to be done the 'smart' way, and not just picking favorites alone. That leaves guys like Benoit and Finlay out, as they may be over and have fans, but wouldn't draw money as much as others. Obviously, I am a fan of all the picks, though.

Reasons for my picks: John Cena is money, whether Cena-haters like it or not. I'm not a huge fan of his character, but I enjoy his big matches and he has a huge fanbase. RVD has consistantly been, arguably, one of the most popular WWE since 2001. It's just a shame he was never pushed properly. I picked Taker because he's one of the most recognizable names out there and can put on good matches. His name alone can add alot of credibility to your promotion. And hey, I've always been a fan. Samoa Joe, pushed as a main eventer, I think could draw. It's hard to tell in TNA since he's yet to really have that one big push. Styles is just enjoyable to watch. I don't watch THAT much TNA, but watching on and off since last fall, I have yet to see him have a bad match. He's not the greatest speaker, but his in-ring skill makes up for it.

And edited in the heck of it, Honorable mentions:

- The Rock (forgot about him until Mole's post above, but he would be tough to get)

- CM Punk (he definitely has the in-ring skills down, but I have yet to see him do real mic work, having watched little to none ROH)

- Edge (I think he's best heel today, and always has his A-game for the big matches.)

Samoa Joe

Rob Van Dam

HBK

Edge

Hmmm.. 4 all-round excellent wrestlers, with varying styles. One spot fiend (with a chair), one badass, two excellent mike workers. Every big promotion needs a giant though, so 5th pick is...

The Undertaker

Still the best giant in terms of in-ring ability and drawing power. It could have been Kane or Big Show... if it was 8 years ago.

(btw this has gone through many edits, Benoit was originally in instead of Michaels, and Jericho for Edge)

From the E:

John Cena

Mr Kennedy

The Undertaker

From the T:

Christopher Daniels (his Fallen Angel gimmick is perfection for a heel)

Samoa Joe

Taker vs The Fallen Angel could be an interesting battle of the dark side gimmick war. The styles might clash but the promo battle and the interesting campy special effects would be a nice twist. Joe is the perfect tweener, Cena isn't the best of workers but the guy does have an audience and can work a mic when unleashed. The final pick is Mr Kennedy cause I see a lot of upside in him and he is one of the few guys I really wish would come to RAW full time so I could see him.

Friday night is just a bad night of the week for wrestling for me.

What exactly would "signability" entail? Al said any wrestler alive, so what's the penalty if I wanted my main event to be Dynamite Kid vs. Droz?

If I wanted to make money, and assuming that they could all wrestle an active schedule, my choices are pretty easy:

The Rock

Steve Austin

Hulk Hogan

Goldberg

Ric Flair

What exactly would "signability" entail? Al said any wrestler alive, so what's the penalty if I wanted my main event to be Dynamite Kid vs. Droz?

That your main event would suck and wouldn't draw outside of the circus mentality, and wouldn't ensure the long term health of your promotion.

If I wanted to make money, and assuming that they could all wrestle an active schedule, my choices are pretty easy:

The Rock

Steve Austin

Hulk Hogan

Goldberg

Ric Flair

The hangup is that you have to pay them to wrestle an active schedule, and that might be more than the business they bring in.

John Cena

Triple H

Samoa Joe

Ken Kennedy

Shawn Michaels

I decided to go with a roster that covers all my basis (top face, top heel, young star with limitless potential, fading legend, etc.) that I personally think would mesh well together as well as something that is feasible to get together. There are some injury concerns here, but aside from Cena (who is a nobrainer to have on this list) there isn't much likelyhood of one of them bolting for another career. The top four I definitely would want in my promotion. Michaels is the wildcard, as I could have gone with somebody like Chris Benoit or Undertaker who would have filled the same general role. Michaels has a history with HHH though and he's more capable of fulfilling several roles than the other vets. If JBL was healthy I would have gone with him.

Interesting question.

my picks

1. Mr Kennedy. There is something special about Mr. Kennedy to the point where eventually no matter what he did, i think the crowd would love him. Sort of like austin back in the day.

2. The Rock. Good wrestler, incredible charisma, amazingly popular, and just damn funny...but pretty much its obvious why he would be a good choice.

3. HHH. Like him or hate him, his passion for the business and the fact that at this stage of his career he's done enough where the fans generally like or love him, even if the smart marks don't. the DX merchandise flying off the shelves shows that. He's good at being a face or a bonified heel. If given the ball but WITHOUT the connection to the Mcmahons and being shoved down everyones throat for a long time as a result of that in many people's eyes, I think he would be looked at in a much better light by many yet still had gotten over just as much.

4. the Undertaker. No explanation really necessary.

5. Chris Benoit. I think given the chance Benoit could be made into a great heel. He just hasn't been given that chance. Have him just come out and beat the sh*t out of people and be ruthless. As a face, yes the fans love him but not sure if they would pay to see just him. Being a kickass heel...i think that would be differant.

Runners up

1. Brock Lesnar Great Big man who could have went a long and very successful in the business if his heart was in it.

2. Christian Just fantastic as a heel. He was always on the cusp of being at the top in the wwe but they refused to pull the trigger. He pretty much sucked as a face in TNA though but on the other hand, just about anything and everything TNA does sucks imo. So if done right, he could even be a good face but I would like to see it in the light of eddie, where he still cheats.

3. MVP. I'm not totally sold on him yet because he has been working with one of, if not the best, wrestler in the business. Great matches but I'd like to see how he does with other lesser talents. However, I've seen his interviews and I *really* am impressed with how serious he takes it. He truly wants to improve and there is no doubt he is full of charisma. Definately has the chance to be something special if done right and given enough time.

4. Shelton Benjiman. Just an amazing athlete who is way underrated and underused by the wwe. If someone would give him a serious gimmick other than being a momma's boy or a whining black man, think of the possibilities.

John Cena

Edge

Mr.Kennedy

CM Punk

Chris Sabin

Chris Sabin. Interesting choice. Why would you pick him? Don't get me wrong, I like him. I just thought it would be an interesting choice for a main player.

Hmm...This question is relative, because what would go for the US wouldn't go for Japan, or Mexico...so I'm going to assume this is geared for the US.

John Cena - Obvious. NOT picking Cena would be insane. There is no one that can do what John does as effectively. He's not the best worker. His character can be borderline retarded.,..but he's almost a perfect face. Fantastic selling, good offense, charisma, and a knowlege of when to make the comeback. While he's not the best worker alive, he is for all intents and purposes this generation's Sting and if marketed and used that, that kind of character can make allllot of money.

Togi Makabe - I'm sure US/WWE fans are asking "Who?". Makabe is a worker in New Japan who is so brilliant in his simplicity. Simply put: Makabe hurts people bad. And enjoys it. Makabe has molded himself after the old crazy gaijins like Stan Hansen and Bruiser Brody. His offense isn't spectacular, but he has some insane heel charisma, and he makes just about everyone he faces bleed. He could be a very effective semi-top heel with his gimmick and style. A smart, but sadistic EVIL JAPANESE MAN~!

Chris Benoit - This is much like Cena, in that it's pretty simple. Benoit is the perfect wrestler to bring along newer talent (See what he's done with MVP. And Booker way back when. And Orton. And Otani in NJPW, and so on). On top of that, Benoit has so much credibility that you could plunk him into a main event program and no one will mind or think about it twice. That kind of versatility is hard to come by.

London & Kendrick - The center piece of a revolving tag division. London and Kendrick, despite never being focused on SD much, were almost consistantly able to draw heat from the crowds. Simple reason: The formula works. Two high energy, attractive babyfaces versus the vicious heels. It never NOT works when used right, and L&K are the 2000's adaptation. You could make so much money with them if focused on, and were against a team of near equal skill.

On the bubble:

Bryan Danielson

Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch

Colt Cabana

CM Punk

Minoru Tanaka

Mistico

El Hijo del Perro Aguayo

El Hijo del Santo

and others.

EDIT: I did a full edit after re-thinking my strategy.

The Rock, Cena, Edge, Samoa Joe and Kennedy. If I could really press my luck, Lesnar subbing for Kennedy.

With either combination, I've got the perfect combination of stars that transcend the spot and could be programmed against each other (Rock, Cena), guys on the cusp of carrying the company (Edge), guys that would legitimize the workers in the ring with their style (Joe and/or Lesnar) and the next big things in the industry (Joe and Kennedy).

The way I'd keep everyone happy would be to balance the house show schedule so that we'd still work dates without sending all of the "A" talent everywhere. Imagine the promotion doing 3-4 dates a week without having the top talent work more than twice a week. Build a house show around two of the top five appearing, then send everyone to TV to maintain exposure. I'd think that most guys would be happy with working only 110-120 dates a year including TV and pay-per-views. The stars on top would sustain the merchandise, ticket sales and buyrates for years to come.

5. Kurt Angle

4. AJ Styles

3. Edge

2. John Cena

1. Samoa Joe

I think Joe's the best in the world. I think Cena's the biggest. I think Edge has a whole lot of what the other 2 have...and may be the best all around at this point. Styles is the best flyer. Angle is credability and talent.

Guest jonnymack

Cool thread idea.

John Cena - Obviously need a top money guy and why not take the top money guy in the biz right now? Plus I would let him loose on the mic. I know he is better in the promo area then they are letting him be right now. He would be my first pick.

HBK - A huge legend who would definitely help the company for the few years he has left.

Edge - I'm taking him over HHH for my top heel spot. I love Edge and think he's a great worker with a great passion for the business.

Samoa Joe - Because I would like to see how he fares working programs with the big boys. I love his ring work so it would be great to have him on board.

Ken Kennedy - Kennedy is going to be huge. I think the sky's the limit for him so I want him on board.

People who didn't make the cut but deserve explanation.

Taker - it was either him or HBK and I just think that I'll get a little more time out of HBK but I don't know.

HHH - I simply wanted Edge as top heel over HHH. He's definitely top 10 but not in my top 5.

Rock - never going to sign him, it's just not going to happen.

Austin - health

Angle - one bad bump from death

Flair - love him but too old to realistically help in anything other than a mic role

Hogan - Just no.

Khali - just seeing if anyone's still reading my post.