Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

If Wrestling Had a Draft...

Jericho

Christian

Edge

Benoit

Jarrett

Because it's important to build around a core of canadians. And I've never seen a minute of TNA but I've always liked Jarrett, who is way better in the ring than most people actually give him credit for.

I like this thread, but the current talent pool is so limited and five guys just isn't enough. We should have some sort of all-time fantasy draft with four or five "companies" each drafting 40 man rosters. Just throwing it out there. I'm sure we could find a few people that would want to do it.

1)Rey Mysterio-he's long been established but still relatively young. Great worker. Draws both adults and kids, highly marketable, and an ultimate babyface.

2)Edge-he's a guy intent on being a heel with "no redeeming qualities", when he's got all the makings of being able to be the "cool heel". Perfect main event babyface foil, great on the mic, never holds back. Could easily transition into an anti-hero babyface if heel run got stale.

3)Samoa Joe-you need a monster, and he'd be it. Undertaker and Batista are too old and injury prone, Khali is...Khali, Umaga would work well but Joe can do so much more than the stereotypical monster.

4)Abyss-a modern day Foley. Big man who can work, and is willing to take sick bumps in the event of specialty matches or getting an angle over.

5)John Cena-like him or not, people pay attention to him, he draws big money, and he's willing to learn. Not a politician, and always gives 100% when it counts. Also great in the role of goodwill ambassador for the company.

Rey Mysterio may be 32, but he's knees are completely shot. I think doctors have been telling him for years to quit using his style, and I think he's borderline for returning now.

Also, Joe is a badass, not a monster. Key difference, Joe can kick the shit out of you 50 ways and will enjoy it, but he's still human, and can still feel remorse and regret. The point of a monster is that they are unstoppable, they have no feelings whatsoever.

Man. I tried to put favouritism aside and do a 'realistic' list, taking into account certain 'factors'. This'd be my realistic list anyway.

John Cena

(Most marketable guy going at the moment, apparant passion for business)

Edge

(Best heel persona going, relatively 'fresh' but experienced)

Brock Lesnar

(Talent, plus the buzz that would accompany his return)

Chris Benoit

(Base for the younger guys, can fit in anywhere on the card)

Christopher Daniels

(All round ability and persona)

In an ideal world:

Brock Lesnar

(See above, but has MMA commitments)

Shawn Michaels

(Hugely popular but age may be problem)

The Undertaker

(Hugely popular but age may be problem, plus injuries)

Samoa Joe

(Huge talent, the 'look' would need to be worked around, so not quite top 5)

The Rock

(Marquee star with credibility, thus steering clear of wrestling business)

HBK - Workrate guy for PPV's, always delievers when it matters. Plus he will be the locker room vet that helps with the bookings.

Cena- My draw

Edge- My heel

CM Punk - My cult favorite

Samoa Joe - My up and comer.

Danielson, Kennedy, Benoit, Jericho and Finely are my next 5

5 to stay away from: Taker, HHH, Angle, Goldberg and Austin. If your a "vet" you need to be full time and not suck and not be nut job. These guys dont fit.

My promotion is for the future. Vets will be around, but wont be the focus.

now be real

if you're going to start a promotion wouldn't you want to be at every show??????

and it matters whether we aim for a 2 year run at the top or 20 and whether we aim for smart adult fans or clueless kids.

for 20 i'd go cena, edge, shawn michaels taking ric flair's current role or making his own as the Yoda of WWE, lashley with a heel manager, and my token TNA guy samoa joe

for 2 i'd pick RVD, Kane, Rhino, Undertaker, and (don't laugh) Hardcore Holly

We'd need to decide on an order of selection as well. If enough people are interested, we can flesh out the requirements for wrestlers being eligible, and give this thing a proper go.

Selection order should be random, and we'd have to limit the number of people doing it..possibly do a few rounds? Then the winners face off? As rounds progress, requirements get stricter?

Make people pick one wrestler at a time, and then randomly choose the order of people out of a hat or something similar. That way even if the first couple guys already took Samoa Joe and CM Punk, you've still got a good shot at getting a few of your favorites.

I kind of suggested this above, though I guess my idea would better be suited in General Wrestling because I'd want to do one for an all-time roster, not just the current people. I was thinking:

- 4 or 5 "companies" (posters) draft a roster.

- Draft order is determined randomly but is a snake draft, just like any standard fantasy baseball/football draft.

- There are 30 rounds, so every company has 30 guys at the end.

- Anyone that's wrestled in WWF/NWA/WCW/ECW/AWA/TNA/ROH in the "modern era" (since 1985) is eligible, from Barry Horowitz right on down to John Cena.

- After the inital draft, there's a separate 8-round tag team draft (the last pick in the other draft gets first pick here and vice versa). In the tag team draft, anyone that was drafted in the inital singles draft is ineligible. So if Scott Steiner was drafted as a singles guy, the Steiner Brothers can't be picked and Rick Steiner is screwed. This also prevents people from wasting two picks on, say, the Dudley Boys, in the first draft, when they can just be drafted together as a team in the tag draft.

- So at the end, there are four or five rosters of 30 singles wrestlers and 8 tag teams, which is a total of 46 guys under contract.

(If you really want to get nuts, there can be additional smaller, separate drafts for announcers, managers, women, etc. But that's a little extreme.)

If anyone is interested in taking this idea over to the general wrestling folder and doing an all-time draft, let me know, cause I'm in.

If you were to put together an All-Time draft, perhaps make a few committees of posters instead of individuals? There'd be too many volunteers for a few slots, and this would force people to come to a consensus.

If you were to put together an All-Time draft, perhaps make a few committees of posters instead of individuals? There'd be too many volunteers for a few slots, and this would force people to come to a consensus.

That could work. We'd probably have to raise the total number of picks, maybe to ten.

Maybe if 15-20 if we are going all-time. We should keep it North America only though, otherwise we will be alienating a large portion of the posters who have never seen/heard of many of the guys drafted.

Guest Timmer

Mmmmmm, you could go in alot of different directions with this question.

I'm going to go with the angle that I am starting the fed from scratch and that these top 5 guys are obviously going to be my main eventers and will be wrestling each other often so their styles are going to have to match up well.

Random order:

Alex Shelley

Chris Jericho

American Dragon

Kennedy

Chris Benoit