TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

Mr. McMahon "dead" - Now for the "whodunit" angle.

When the angle first started, they were planning on playing it totally serious - just take a look at his "death" at the end of the RAW, and the ECW and SD shows that week. However, when the news about Sherri Martel came out, and after so many people in WWE complaining about how they were playing the Mr. McMahon angle in a serious way, they decided to take it in a different direction. That led to Cena and Foley being really lighthearted about the entire thing on RAW, the Cryme Tyme bit, and all of that. PWInsider reported on this last week sometime. So yeah, the death of Sherri actually did change this angle after all.

It was fans booing and what-ing everything that made them change direction. Good taste had nothing to do with it.

Don't be sure. If the WWE actually listened to fan reaction, Cena would be a heel by now.

I kind of wish we had gotten to see this angle through to the end. As much as I hated the angle, I'd rather have just come off as a whiney bitch than been proven "right", whatever that means.

As a sidenote, does anyone have any idea how it was supposed to end?

Not that it matters now, but who was the "killer" supposed to be, anyway? Or was it a work in progress from Day 1?

I'm sure they were operating in typical WWE style and had no idea who it was going to be at this point.

Not that it matters now, but who was the "killer" supposed to be, anyway? Or was it a work in progress from Day 1?

I'm sure they were operating in typical WWE style and had no idea who it was going to be at this point.

That was my assumption

According to Bryan Alvarez who was on 710 KIRO this afternoon, it was going to be Linda McMahon who would be arrested on RAW.

They also mentioned that, like MrRant said, Linda was going to be "arrested" on that RAW, but it was going to end up being a false arrest, and then be revealed that Vince did indeed fake it himself.

I'm shocked that anyone ever even questioned who was behind it. I thought it was quite obvious that it would end up being that Vince faked the entire thing himself.

If they just going to pretend Chris Benoit never existed I wish they'd bring back this angle. But arresting Linda and having Vince come back wasn't the really the kind of pay off I was hoping for. I liked the idea that Vince law low for a few years and suddenlly come out to a massive face pop to take over from what ever heel was running Raw.

Given the plan of the angle, I'm thankful it was dropped. Linda likely would have been that third person with DNA in the limo, would have then been arrested last Monday (as I think I read she was supposed to be there) on Raw and then at the next ppv, we would have seen Vince re-appear. Yay. Figured it was Vince all along since he was giving premoninitions of it happening, was acting weird, and did it to regain importance in himself (kayfabe talk keep in mind) after losing the ECW title.

I do wonder, however, what was the entire booking plan for last Monday's Raw as a whole - who did vignettes about Vince, etc.

The three hour RAW was planned to be totally based around the memorial for Vince. I've heard somewhere, either from Meltzer, the guys at PWInsider, or something along those lines, that Vince told everyone in the company to bring a black suit just as you would wear to a funeral. Before the news of Benoit broke, they had the stage set up with flowers, a casket, and other such bullshit.

The three hour RAW was planned to be totally based around the memorial for Vince. I've heard somewhere, either from Meltzer, the guys at PWInsider, or something along those lines, that Vince told everyone in the company to bring a black suit just as you would wear to a funeral. Before the news of Benoit broke, they had the stage set up with flowers, a casket, and other such bullshit.

man thats just really weird and kinda creepy, the more the news on Benoit that comes out the more sick i get and find it harder to respect him as a pro wrestler and what he did

I can't help but think back to those who said wouldn't it be awful if someone, or mcmahon himself, actually died during this nonsense. The amazing irony of the details of the casket, etc being there and benoit murdering his family/killing himself is really off the charts.

It would have sucked if Linda had been arrested then Vince turned out to have been faking it the whole time.

I only say that because wheres the pay off? Does it put any wrestlers over? Does it spark any new fueds?

The only outcome I could have seen would have been a Vince/Linda match. Ugh.

It would have sucked if Linda had been arrested then Vince turned out to have been faking it the whole time.

I only say that because wheres the pay off? Does it put any wrestlers over? Does it spark any new fueds?

The only outcome I could have seen would have been a Vince/Linda match. Ugh.

Seriously, are you stunned by this? Most Vince angles are only designed to get over one person, and that's Vince.

I just noticed that I heard about RAW being set up to look like a funeral was from the WON notes:

-How's this for eerie. When Vince called all the guys in the ring before RAW to give the news, the stage had been decorated with a casket, reefs, candles with Vince's picture, etc. like a funeral. Talent was told to bring dark suits like a funeral to the taping. I'm sure that was a blast. Vince apparently handled it really well, told anyone who wanted to go home would not be disciplined but guys were basket cases and trying to think of some rationalization (carbon monoxide, etc.)

I saw a Jacques Rougeau interview last week during the Benoit media coverage and he said he had recieved an offer two weeks before the incident to reprise an old character for an angle. He refused.

We could have had the return of the f'n Mountie !

In the current WON, Meltz reported that indeed Vince was going to "stage his own death" but with an accomplice that helped him, which was, at the time it was dropped, going to be Kennedy.

Other tidbits from the newsletter about the angle......

Vince thought the angle was so hot, it was going to be the next big thing and really change the business significantly.

At some point in the planning/laying out of the angle, Vince was going to milk it for TWO YEARS until he returned.

In the current WON, Meltz reported that indeed Vince was going to "stage his own death" but with an accomplice that helped him, which was, at the time it was dropped, going to be Kennedy.

Other tidbits from the newsletter about the angle......

Vince thought the angle was so hot, it was going to be the next big thing and really change the business significantly.

At some point in the planning/laying out of the angle, Vince was going to milk it for TWO YEARS until he returned.

No Vince on TV for two years?

How would he last since he can hardly stay off TV for a month?

I still have no idea how Vince is going to get back onto TV. Yeah the angle is dropped but it still went down. In magical WWE storyline land Mr. McMahon is still dead.

Well I supposed it could have gotten Kennedy over.

Nothing like having having a big main event storyline to jobbing to Super Crazy on Raw...