TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Atticus Chaos

Shirley Phelps Roper arrested

OMAHA, Neb. - A member of the Kansas group that has drawn criticism for protesting at soldiers' funerals has been arrested for letting her 10-year-old son stomp on a U.S. flag during a demonstration. She promised Wednesday to challenge the state's flag desecration law in court.

Shirley Phelps-Roper, 49, will be charged with flag mutilation, disturbing the peace and contributing to the delinquency of a minor, Sarpy County Attorney Lee Polikov said Wednesday.

Phelps-Roper, a member of the Westboro Baptist Church, acknowledged that she allowed her son Jonah to stand on the flag Tuesday _ something she says is protected by the U.S. Constitution.

"It's utter nonsense," said Phelps-Roper, a lawyer. "I don't know what else to tell you other than that we'll see them in federal court."

Phelps-Roper is a daughter of Westboro's founder, the Rev. Fred Phelps. Members have protested at more than 280 military funerals in 43 states since June 2005, she said.

The group says the deaths of U.S. soldiers are God's punishment for a nation that harbors gays and lesbians. Nebraska and 37 other states have laws restricting how close protesters can get to funerals, inspired at least in part by the Westboro protests.

Tuesday's funeral in suburban Bellevue was for Nebraska Army National Guard Spc. William "Bill" Bailey, who was killed May 25 when an explosive device struck his vehicle in Iraq.

Phelps-Roper was arrested because she was involved in a potentially volatile situation in the presence of Bailey's friends, relatives and fellow soldiers, Polikov said. Bellevue has a strong military presence, with Offutt Air Force Base located at the south edge of town.

"To come into that environment and communicate what I would call fighting words _ provocative language and acts _ you can't do that," Polikov said. "You might illicit a violent response. That's against community peace and community law."

Phelps-Roper was arrested about an hour before Bailey's funeral when an officer observed the boy stomping on the flag, Bellevue Police Capt. Herb Evers said. She was booked and released after posting $150 bail.

Nebraska's flag law says: "A person commits the offense of mutilating a flag if such person intentionally casts contempt or ridicule upon a flag by mutilating, defacing, defiling, burning, or trampling upon such flag."

Flag mutilation and disturbing the peace are each punishable by 90 days in jail, a $500 fine or both. Contributing to the delinquency of a minor is punishable by a year in jail, a $1,000 fine or both. All three are misdemeanors.

Polikov said he was considering filing a negligent child abuse charge because Phelps-Roper put her son in a dangerous situation.

http://www.comcast.net/news/national/index...qh=itn_protests

Her going to jail would be 100 times better than Paris.

Woah, hold on, her last name is Roper?

I'm all for sending the entire Phelps clan to jail (or worse), but, legally speaking, is there really a case? Is it illegal to stand on an American flag as an act of protest (however twisted and ridiculous the protest might be)? I totally agree with the child endangerment charge; any parent that willfully places their child in such a hostile, potentially violent atmosphere deserves to be punished and not be around children anymore. I also agree with anybody that says that they're disturbing the peace, etc. However, that entire damn family is made up of lawyers and it seems like every time they do get charged with something, they find some way to get around the charges or some loophole to squeeze through. Is there anything that they can do short of murdering/attacking someone or embezzling millions of dollars that would get them locked up from the rest of the civilized world for the rest of their natural lives?

Nebraska's flag law says: "A person commits the offense of mutilating a flag if such person intentionally casts contempt or ridicule upon a flag by mutilating, defacing, defiling, burning, or trampling upon such flag."

Sounds legally sound to me.

Climbin' up the charts this week, it's "God Hates the World" by the Westboro Baptist Church. All the way up to #4...sing along to this catchy tune to the tune of "We Are the World.

You've crossed the line

you won't heed this final call

Evil world you've come together as one

see your soldiers dying

Oh you claim God's blessing you

that lie the greatest lie of all

you can't go on

pretending day by day

that the God of judgment is dead and gone

you are all a part of

the devil's family

and the truth

you're all headed straigh to hell!

God hates the world

and all her people

you every one face a fiery day for your proud sinning

it's too late to change his mind

you lived out your vain lives

storing up God's wrath for all eternity!

[solo]

Well, you knew God's law

but you disobeyed it all

spent your lives

chasing your lust and lies

[everyone]

serving all your idols

fag beasts and bloody flags

fires of hell are waiting there for you

[deranged chorus with deranged echos]

God hates the world

(you know He hates you)

and all her people

(evil people)

(so just stop it)

His prophets came standing in His place

Your violent ways, you cursed Him to His face

[solo]

well, well, well, You will soon realize

your destruction draweth nigh

you will all stand together and fall

[lively chorus!]

God hates the world

and all her people

God hates the world

(He hates you!)

and all her people

(That means you!)

(Just obey Him!)

you'll eat your kids

(yeah, you'll eat 'em)

you hateful people!

(the SIEGE is coming!)

(PROUD SINNERS!)

[chorus with swaying]

God hates the world and all her people

Yeah there's a case. There's a limit to how far the first Amendment goes.

"To come into that environment and communicate what I would call fighting words _ provocative language and acts _ you can't do that," Polikov said. "You might illicit a violent response. That's against community peace and community law."

You can't illicit a violent response and then hide behind the First. Desecration of the flag won't fly and that's been protected by the courts. But the general actions are not protected, so there's a case elsewhere.

Climbin' up the charts this week, it's "God Hates the World" by the Westboro Baptist Church. All the way up to #4...sing along to this catchy tune to the tune of "We Are the World.

You've crossed the line

you won't heed this final call

Evil world you've come together as one

see your soldiers dying

Oh you claim God's blessing you

that lie the greatest lie of all

you can't go on

pretending day by day

that the God of judgment is dead and gone

you are all a part of

the devil's family

and the truth

you're all headed straigh to hell!

God hates the world

and all her people

[solo]

Well, you knew God's law

but you disobeyed it all

spent your lives

chasing your lust and lies

[everyone]

serving all your idols

fag beasts and bloody flags

fires of hell are waiting there for you

[deranged chorus with deranged echos]

God hates the world

(you know He hates you)

and all her people

(evil people)

(so just stop it)

His prophets came standing in His place

Your violent ways, you cursed Him to His face

[solo]

well, well, well, You will soon realize

your destruction draweth nigh

you will all stand together and fall

[lively chorus!]

God hates the world

and all her people

God hates the world

(He hates you!)

and all her people

(That means you!)

(Just obey Him!)

you'll eat your kids

(yeah, you'll eat 'em)

you hateful people!

(the SIEGE is coming!)

(PROUD SINNERS!)

[chorus with swaying]

God hates the world and all her people

Your forgot to include the music video which I hear is a big hit on TRL........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ_yxionctY

You can't illicit a violent response and then hide behind the First. Desecration of the flag won't fly and that's been protected by the courts. But the general actions are not protected, so there's a case elsewhere.

That's flawed logic. You should be allowed to protest the country and the flag. If you want to stand on it, so be it.

That's flawed logic. You should be allowed to protest the country and the flag. If you want to stand on it, so be it.

I think people should be allowed to protest people like this by standing on their faces.

The kid's not getting off scott free is he?

He's part of the Phelps family, he's already lost. And frankly, being part of that whack job clan is more than enough punishment for anyone.

Personally, I think the entire Phelps cult should be drafted for immediete front line infantry service in Iraq, but that's just me.

In this case, it sounds like the cops arrested the bitch as soon as they spotted her doing anything even vaguely illegal. They popped her as revenge for her protesting the dead soldier's funeral, the whole "flag desecration" thing was just an excuse to do so.

This reminds me of that guy who was obviously total scum who got arrested for spitting on a cop and got a huge sentence because of some obscure law that him spitting on the cop barely fit under. When it's just the cops being assholes I can't say I care for it much, but there's cases where they just have it coming to them.

The kid's not getting off scott free is he?

He's a victim in this too. All the kids in that family have been brainwashed since birth.

Anyway, give Phelps the one year in jail. Since her family say they are always pleased when bad things happen because it's God's will, they'll be overjoyed.

It goes beyond flag desecration. My poli sci professor stated it in this manner. If you yell "Fire" in a crowded theatre and start a panic, are you protected by the first amendment? You aren't. The first amendment allows you to protest, not incite. If a judge finds they did the latter, then they have a case.

But you can use that with almost any protest or action.

I think what she did should be protected by the First Amendment- you should be allowed to step on a flag

The big problem comes from that fine line between: protest vs incite.

Protesting should be allowed in most cases, but when does inciting become the level. If you are in lets say, Houston, TX and stomped on the flag. Expect some of the locals to go and bash your skull in. But if you Mobile, AL and said white power with 3 dozen other guys in white hoods, expect nothing more than a shouting match with a few blacks on the other side of the street. There is a difference from geting rage to getting a simple "fuck you". I think the best way to put it is, if you make a clear and present danger to either others or yourself, than that kind of "speech" should be outlawed. "FIRE!!" in stairwell. But the line between protest/hate speech and riot inciting is paper thin. Just because someome uses slurs or gestures just to try and piss someone off than that should be allowed. Because as one judge did say: "The first admendment is not to protect what you want to hear, but what you DON'T want to hear". However, it shouldn't allow riot/panic remarks.

There is one major flaw in the wole flag burning/storm/whatever argument, why is it that these people want destroy the symbol of this country that allows their freedoms, if they were in China and did that to the flag, they would be shot on the spot no questions asked. Its like hiding behind legal loopholes to bash the country so much that they "hate" yet love enough to still live here.

Whether or not it's right to have that law, the fact is, it is a crime . And since Phelps is admitting she did what they're accusing her of, I don't see how she'll worm her way out of it.

I assume she'll be defending herself in court, which should be good for a laugh.

why is it that these people want destroy the symbol of this country that allows their freedoms, if they were in China and did that to the flag, they would be shot on the spot no questions asked.

You seem to have stumbled upon the answer to your own question.

The big problem comes from that fine line between: protest vs incite.

Protesting should be allowed in most cases, but when does inciting become the level. If you are in lets say, Houston, TX and stomped on the flag. Expect some of the locals to go and bash your skull in. But if you Mobile, AL and said white power with 3 dozen other guys in white hoods, expect nothing more than a shouting match with a few blacks on the other side of the street.

Actually no, if it was known they'd be in town, you'd have a lot of whites shouting them down too. Glad to know you think everyone in the South thinks the KKK is right.

I am not 100% sure, but I believe the Klan started in Mobile. I know its Alabama, but I wasn't quiet sure of the town. And It isn't that I think everyone in the south thinks the KKK is right, I was trying to use their home town for a simple example.

Nope, it was in Pulaski, TN. And a couple years back, when the Klan tried to hold a parade there, the city council unanimously banned them from setting foot in town.

Did anyone catch Keith Allen will burn in hell? It was a documentary that aired in the UK, so I'm guessing not too many will have seen it.

Basically, he got in a fight with Shirely about sinning and morality and he brought up the fact her eldest son was illegitemate (a well kept secret revealed to him by a film student who had done a documentary on them) .

She got royally owned.