TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gert T

2007 NBA Draft Thread

So who is going to take Sean Williams and then be incredibly shocked when he gets arrested 26 times before the season starts?

I thought maybe Philly with one of their 3 1st Rounders, but they'll probably settle for a Euro Leaguer and stash him away for another year.

Latest mock from Ford, stolen from some other message board.

1. Portland - Greg Oden, C/7-0/245/19/Ohio St.

2. Seattle - Kevin Durant, SF/6-10/190/18/Texas

3. Atlanta - Al Horford, PF/6-9/235/20/Florida

4. Memphis - Mike Conley, PG/6-0/170/19/Ohio St.

5. Boston - Yi Jianlian, PF/7-0/246/19/China

6. Milwaukee - Jeff Green, SF/6-9/225/20/Georgetown

7. Minnesota - Joakim Noah, PF/6-11/230/22/Florida

8. Charlotte - Corey Brewer, SG/6-8/185/21/Florida

9. Chicago (from New York) - Spencer Hawes, C/7-0/230/19/Washington

10. Sacramento - Brandan Wright, PF/6-10/210/19/UNC

11. Atlanta (from Indiana) - Acie Law, PG/6-3/185/22/Texas A&M

12. Philadelphia - Al Thornton, SF/6-7/210/23/Florida St.

13. New Orleans - Nick Young, SG/6-6/200/21/USC

14. LA Clippers - Julian Wright, SF/6-9/220/20/Kansas

15. Detroit (from Orlando) - Rodney Stuckey, SG/6-4/205/21/E. Washington

16. Washington - Thaddeus Young, SF/6-8/210/18/Ga Tech

17. New Jersey - Jason Smith, PF/7-0/230/21/Colorado St.

18. Golden State - Gabe Pruitt, PG/6-4/170/21/USC

19. LA Lakers - Rudy Fernandez, SG/6-6/172/22/Spain

20. Miami - Javaris Crittenton, PG/6-5/180/19/Ga Tech

21. Philadelphia (from Denver) - Josh McRoberts, PF/6-10/230/20/Duke

22. Charlotte (from Toronto) - Sean Williams, C/6-10/230/20/Boston College

23. New York (from Chicago) - Wilson Chandler, SF/6-8/230/20/DePaul

24. Phoenix (from Cleveland) - Tiago Splitter, PF/7-0/240/22/Brazil

25. Utah - Derrick Byars, SF/6-7/220/23/Vanderbilt

26. Houston - Nick Fazekas, PF/6-11/225/22/Nevada

27. Detroit - Morris Almond, SG/6-6/215/22/Rice

28. San Antonio - Jared Dudley, SF/6-7/219/21/Boston College

29. Phoenix - Petteri Koponen, SG/6-4/194/19/Finland

30. Philadelphia (from Dallas) - Marco Belinelli, SG/6-6/200/21/Italy

Edited by alfdogg

Stuckey has been making minor waves ever since there was an (unconfirmed) report that the Pistons had made him a promise. He got picked by the league for that green/media room, and Hollinger's stats analysis (which I dont take too seriously) reflect highly on him.

i personally have never seen him play and have no opinion either way, except that I hope the hype is real and the Pistons get a good player out of it.

on that related note, I'm one of the (few?) people who loves the age limit rule and wished it was 20 instead of 19. It's purely for selfish reasons though, I'm not a big NCAA fan, but tihs particular tournament was fun, because I would watch games to scout out future NBA players myself, Oden, Conley, acie law, durant, etc etc. It just made the tournament fun, knowing that a bunch of these guys would be in the draft.

I hate it now, and when some poor kid that could have made millions gets seriously injured in college and ends his career and chance to get his family out of poverty, I am going to despise it with all my being.

Well, I'm not a fan of teams being in salary cap hell due to career ending injuries so I don't have a problem with it.

Actually in the NBA they can just retire and the team gets the cap space back.

I understand why in the NFL, but the NBA has to be the only job in America where you are required to risk your future livelihood for free first.

Are you sure that retired players come off the cap? I don't remember that ever being the case. I remember the Pacers using the amnesty clause on the already retired Reggie Miller to avoid a luxury tax hit.

I'm almost positive that retired players do not come off the cap. In some cases, such as Allan Houston, a percentage of the contract is covered by insurance.

I remember the Knicks begging Allan Houston to retire and the Magic fans begging Grant Hill to retire, and the Pacers begging Jonathan Bender to retire so that they could take those guys off for cap space. I am not a hundred percent sure though.

I remember the Knicks begging Allan Houston to retire and the Magic fans begging Grant Hill to retire, and the Pacers begging Jonathan Bender to retire so that they could take those guys off for cap space. I am not a hundred percent sure though.

I think you are confusing the cap with the payment of contracts. If the player retires, insurance usually pays off the contract or a large portion of it. If the player sticks around on the injured list, the team still has to pay him in full. Cap is not affected either way or at least that's my interpretation of it.

Guest George's Box
I understand why in the NFL, but the NBA has to be the only job in America where you are required to risk your future livelihood for free first.

Are players allowed to play in the D-league for a year before they go to the NBA, where at least they'll make a little bit of money? I agree that forcing prospective NBA players to spend a year being exploited in the NCAA isn't really fair.

Well, I'm not a fan of teams being in salary cap hell due to career ending injuries so I don't have a problem with it.

Actually in the NBA they can just retire and the team gets the cap space back.

Huh? Players have to go through college football and rish their future for free too to get into the NFL. And most teams don't take anyone lower than Junior so they are in there for 3 years. What's the difference?

You can't name one highschool football player whose body was ready to take the rigors of a NFL football season. they need the extra years of physical conditioning to take the punishment of running into or getting ran into at full speed.

And yeah, you are right about the cap and retiring, my bad. But at the same time, a guy isn't going to have a huge contract in the NBA until after his third season at the earliest. So its not like a guy blowing out his knee in his 3rd NBA season is going to put a franchise in salary cap hell.

Take Shawn Livingston for example. If he had gone to college he never would have made a penny and that simply isn't fair to him.

Guest Vitamin X
Analysis of previous NBA drafts reveals low-post players popular but not necessarily All-Stars

NEW YORK (AP) -- The best value in the first round of this week's NBA draft might come from a wing player picked in the top five who left college early. The worst value might be a senior big man selected late in the lottery.

That's what an analysis by The Associated Press of past NBA drafts suggests. An evaluation of the 10 first rounds from 1995-2004 revealed several trends:

-- Low-post players were the most popular selections but were much less likely than their counterparts at other positions to develop into All-Stars.

-- Players who stayed in college four years were less likely to become All-Stars than younger players picked in the same range of the draft.

-- Half of top-five picks became All-Star caliber players. That dropped to about one-quarter of draftees taken in spots six through 10. But the odds of getting a future All-Star were about the same -- 10 percent -- whether a team selected around No. 11 or No. 21.

-- The franchise that seemed to get the least bang for its buck was the Los Angeles Clippers, with eight top-10 picks in that span but no All-Stars to show for it.

-- There's huge variation from year to year in how many impact players are produced. The 1996 draft featured nine players who have made multiple All-Star appearances. The 2000, 2001 and 2002 drafts combined produced just seven who were chosen for even one All-Star team.

The abundance of -- and lack of production from -- big men drafted wasn't a surprise to some NBA front office personnel. But changes in the NBA's playing style may shift that trend.

The dearth of quality post players in the league leaves teams willing to take a chance on a big man.

"If you're going to make a mistake, you make a mistake big," the Utah Jazz's director of player personnel, Walt Perrin, said of the prevailing philosophy.

Low-post players accounted for 117 of the 286 selections from 1995-04 who played in the NBA. Only 17 of them (15 percent) went on to make an All-Star team (or, for players drafted in 2003 and '04, came close to that level early in their careers).

Eighty-nine of those big men (76 percent) had at best a limited impact in the league.

In contrast, 21 percent of other draftees went on to become All-Star caliber players, with 57 percent making no more than a limited impact.

Further complicating matters is that bigger guys tend to develop slower, so teams often have a harder time predicting how effective they will be.

Just because a post player never becomes a star, though, doesn't mean he was a wasted pick.

"The way the NBA is today, most people are getting their scoring out of other positions," said Donnie Nelson, the Dallas Mavericks' president of basketball operations and general manager.

"They may not be a great scorer," Perrin said, "but they can still have legitimate NBA skills in rebounding and blocking shots."

Are teams as desperate for big men these days, anyway, with the increased reliance on small ball? With power forwards becoming more skilled and perimeter-oriented, Nelson said, there's less demand for traditional post players.

That was reflected in the last two drafts, when just 16 of the 57 draftees who played in the league were big men.

The prevalence of players turning pro early has left few college seniors whom NBA executives deem worthy of high picks. But even the few who were taken in the top 10 have less of an impact than their younger counterparts.

Of the 19 seniors drafted that high, only three became All-Star caliber players (16 percent). That compares with 41 percent (31 of 75) of Americans picked in the top 10 who didn't attend college or didn't complete their eligibility.

The results do suggest that the rule keeping high school players out of the draft will increase the chances of elite prospects developing into stars. The production of players who turned pro out of high school was very all-or-nothing: for every LeBron James, there was a Kwame Brown.

Five of the 12 high schoolers taken in the top 10 became All-Star caliber players, but another five made limited contributions at best. Of the top-10 picks who spent some time in college but did not complete their eligibility, only 29 percent (18 of 63) had no more than a limited impact.

In addition to the Clippers, the Atlanta Hawks, Golden State Warriors, New York Knicks, Portland Trail Blazers and Seattle SuperSonics also got little out of their picks. The Blazers and Sonics can rectify that this season, drafting 1-2 with Greg Oden and Kevin Durant available.

Other teams seem to excel at taking players who thrive for other franchises. The Boston Celtics selected Chauncey Billups and Joe Johnson. The Phoenix Suns helped themselves with Amare Stoudemire and Shawn Marion, but Michael Finley and Steve Nash developed into All-Stars with the Mavericks (although, of course, Nash returned to the Suns and became a two-time MVP).

Interesting article.

Either way, party for fans at the Rose Garden tomorrow and then down the street from my house the new draft pick will be flown out. The Blazers' website seems to lean strongly in favor of Oden, so I pose a question for anyone here.. what's the argument for taking Kevin Durant instead? It seems that Oden is the big choice here, and I don't see a logical reason for Portland not to already get into negotiations. I guess if they traded Randolph for someone else, maybe a useful big or whatever, but really now.

NEW YORK (AP) -- The best value in the first round of this week's NBA draft might come from a wing player picked in the top five who left college early.

It's all about Corey Brewer.

You can't name one highschool football player whose body was ready to take the rigors of a NFL football season. they need the extra years of physical conditioning to take the punishment of running into or getting ran into at full speed.

Amobi Okoye had the body for it.

Although it hasn't been mentioned recently, there is a chance that Shawn Marion could be traded to the Charlotte Bobcats for the #8 pick in the draft. I would suppose this will only happen if the Kevin Garnett trade doesn't happen.

If the deal isn't made, I'd like Corey Brewer at #8 and Marco Belinelli at #22. We need more shooters.

No he didn't. He has added ALOT of muscle since he got to Louisville and grew like 3-4 inches. He was a freak, but no way that kid could have gone right to the pros. Hell, he was 15 when he left highschool anyway.

Although it hasn't been mentioned recently, there is a chance that Shawn Marion could be traded to the Charlotte Bobcats for the #8 pick in the draft. I would suppose this will only happen if the Kevin Garnett trade doesn't happen.

If the deal isn't made, I'd like Corey Brewer at #8 and Marco Belinelli at #22. We need more shooters.

I don't think Brewer would last that long. He's probably gone by the 7th pick.

They are saying Kurt thomas so that they can clear capspace. They do have alot of young players they are going to have to extend within the next few years.

No he didn't. He has added ALOT of muscle since he got to Louisville and grew like 3-4 inches. He was a freak, but no way that kid could have gone right to the pros. Hell, he was 15 when he left highschool anyway.

From an age perspective, if he was in high school at 18 he still would have grown the inches and I'm sure a good portion of the muscle would be there my friend.

Without the ability to work out at the same level as he could in college? And with out the competition and rigors of college practices readying his body for more physical contact? He was not going to put on that muscle mass working out in a high school gym in Alabama.