TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nightwing

A "Community" Service Project

I was just reading the oddness that is the 'eList' thread, which sparked me to look at the SWF entry on their wiki. Of course, the first result turned up some "Southern Wrestling Federation", a problem which I solved after thinking up a solution that won't get our forum invaded.

But reading our wiki entry, I really think that we should look into creating a more complete entry. I know the fed doesn't have a website (Why, I don't know), but this would be a great place to put down things like individual stats, championship runs, and other things. Apparently there are still people who are quite old and know a bunch about the history of the fed. For someone like me, who is right now blowing through a ton of the history (I'm currently looking through a lot of the SJL stuff, since it's a shorter stack than the WF stuff), it'd be nice to have a general guide to things.

I know it sounds really daunting, but I don't think it is. If organized correctly, and with only a minimal amount of debate (I'm not sure what type of 'eras' the SWF has had, outside knowing that it probably had a Golden Age at some time), it wouldn't be too hard. If we started by just creating wiki entries for our characters (And perhaps some of the more important retirees, like our current announcers... please?), I think we could actually have fun with it.

And does this place have a Hall of Fame? Because we should probably should note it somewhere.

The fed doesn't have a website because there was a) nothing we could put on it that we didn't do here, and b) the last one we had got half-built and then never went anywhere.

There is a Hall of Fame, although I couldn't tell you who was in it beyond Flesher, Rane, Muzz, Thoth and all of the Carnival members that ever mattered.

Seriously, what the hell happened!? I zoned out of the fed for a week or so and next thing I know, there's about five new writers. And not just that, but new writers who actually post in the Community Board. Hell, new writers that actually know the Community Board exists even!

Regarding the website, we've had several, but due to a lack of interest, laziness, and having other things to attend to, they've all passed on. It doesn't help that the last iteration was basically a one man coding/designing/upkeep operation and was rushed out the door to appease X-Net.

We do have... something at theswf.com/net but no functioning site. The major problem has been how to integrate the site into the forums. For us the forums are the major hub of the SWF and so creating a site that isn't redundant where you can simply get everything that's over there on the forums is an issue, along with simply having the will to see it through, of which there hasn't been much of lately.

We have a Hall of Fame. I forget everyone who's in it though.

If we could just post wrestler profiles on the wiki that would be enough, I think. That was one of the ideas for it when I kind of took over but no one has done so as of yet. Course, we can't simply add everything to our heart's content, the owners there likely wouldn't take kindly to us adding anything and everything even tangentially related to the SWF. In addition not everyone knows wiki code and one of the concerns over there is the need to wiki-ize everything.

As far as everything else is concerned, of the currently active titles, the International Title History is already completed, so I only have the Cruiserweight Title History left. Since I don't want to add unnecessary pages I'm just waiting to see how the International Title situation shakes out and debating how best to incorporate all the Defunct Titles into the wiki.

In addition, in order to minimize the Roster and Alumni section on the main page, I'm likely going to add an SWF Complete Roster, Alumni and Stables page soon, or something of that nature, perhaps separately, where I can put all that stuff down.

Seriously, what the hell happened!?

You lost the World Title.

Seriously, what the hell happened!?

You lost the World Title.

So, you're saying these good people have been studying the fed for the past couple of years, sitting, waiting. And they waited until the very moment that Rando won the title to join? Could that be because he's a soft touch who these new people have been begging to become champion because they know he's easy picking? Is that what you're saying? I think that's what you're saying.

I think you seriously owe Rando an apology.

Btw, Skull Radio's gonna be a long one this week, huh?

No, I was joking that in the time you 'zoned out' of the fed, you lost the World Title. Like, that you had 'zoned out' so much that you'd come back and didn't actually realise that you weren't champion anymore. Which is of course nonsense, because i strongly suspect that you knew that. It wasn't really in any way related to the influx of newbies you mentioned in your next sentence.

Course, if you want to construct conspiracy theories, be my guest.

So, you're saying these good people have been studying the fed for the past couple of years, sitting, waiting. And they waited until the very moment that Rando won the title to join? Could that be because he's a soft touch who these new people have been begging to become champion because they know he's easy picking? Is that what you're saying? I think that's what you're saying.

Actually, that's exactly the reason I joined.

j/k ^_^

If we could just post wrestler profiles on the wiki that would be enough, I think. That was one of the ideas for it when I kind of took over but no one has done so as of yet. Course, we can't simply add everything to our heart's content, the owners there likely wouldn't take kindly to us adding anything and everything even tangentially related to the SWF. In addition not everyone knows wiki code and one of the concerns over there is the need to wiki-ize everything.

Those are good points, but I doubt they would mind us doing an extended history and wrestler profiles. I mean, if this guy can write his autobiography, I don't understand why we can't do a moderately deep fed history. I honestly don't think they'll have problems with it unless we start really, REALLY abusing it.

I do agree on the wiki thing, because it took me 15 minutes to figure out how to do the disambiguation page correctly. But I think we can start something. Your title histories are great.

I could help out, but I have about as much clue about coding as I do about nuclear physics.

So what that basically translates to I guess is "actually I can't help out until I know more about coding".

Well, I think we need to figure out what we want to put in there. If some of the old guys could help out and decide on things like pivotal dates (Like that Wargames link you made), definitive eras, and things like that. Like, for Comic books, there's a Golden Age, a Silver Age, a Bronze Age, and a Modern Age. I'm currently searching for the Hall of Fame right now. Is it on the WF boards or the Community boards?

Plus, a history of the SJL would be cool, too, if only because it lasted longer than most regular leagues.

Maybe this has been said before (It probably has, as I hardly add anything new to any conversation), but in regards to the 'not needing a website since everything is on the forums' issue, why not trim some things from the forums, leaving basically the bare essentials like stats and cards, while supplemental things like writing guides, HOF inductees, etc. get dumped on a website?

And junk.

lollerzaurus76,000,000BCE

I dunno. I think our Hall of Fame deserves an entry all its own.

And I finally found it... at least, the one from 2004. Along with a bunch of End of the Year Awards things that might be smart to catalog. And I also found the Top 10 Chat Moments, and I have to say:

What the fuck is wrong with you people?!

Learning wiki mark-up is actually pretty easy, just look around at a few pages and their edit boxes to get an idea of what to do. For a simple page all you really need is to know how to make section headers (==Title==) and for more in-depth stuff like tables and infoboxes you can just copy, paste and edit those. Good job on the SWF disambiguation and Smartmarks Wrestling Federation redirect, by the way, even that hadn't popped into my mind.

All the HoF stuff is on the Community Boards along with all award winners, both of which were always announced around Genesis time.

I'm iffy on these in-depth histories or at least in the way you're describing them as. For the bare minimum of what we need right now, at least, is to get enough wrestler pages going in addition to PPV pages in which we can post all the cards related to that PPV throughout the years (like Battleground 2002, 2003 and so on as part of one SWF Battleground page) and including reference links back to the full shows here.

Along with that, once I make a secondary page to thin out the bottom section of the main page we can expand on the history on the main page. I hate to be one of those guys on Wikipedia that insist on the guidelines and rules, and I'm not trying to be, but remember that one of the main guidelines there is to not to be a one stop shop for any and all inclusive information no matter how mundane it is.

Anyway...

Finish Current Title Histories, create a page for Defunct Titles. Create a page for all PPVs and include each yearly card relating to that page.

Create an SWF Complete Roster and Alumni page, and either included in that or separately, an SWF Teams and Stables page, along with, possibly, an SWF Hall of Fame and Award Winners page. Though for the time being I'm thinking of simply including all of these under one page.

And I'm begging, someone, to remind me which titles were part of the IGNML and if any of you have IGNsider access to get me their Title History, though that latter request isn't necessary.

Maybe this has been said before (It probably has, as I hardly add anything new to any conversation), but in regards to the 'not needing a website since everything is on the forums' issue, why not trim some things from the forums, leaving basically the bare essentials like stats and cards, while supplemental things like writing guides, HOF inductees, etc. get dumped on a website?

And junk.

lollerzaurus76,000,000BCE

Yeah. And it would eliminate the need for all that fancy schmancy but harder to maintain stuff Johnny wanted to be included on the last site. I remember my suggestion being to make it more like the WWE or TNA website would be with simplified bios, all that supplemental junk and what not, just have everything be more 'static' I guess you could say, with completed shows being basically the only thing brought over. But it's really a pointless discussion which almost seems futile at this point.

What I mean by "In-depth Histories" is sort of a "What was the big thing going on during the Summer of 2004? What was the fed like during it's first few months?" I mean, look at the WWE History page, where they carve things up into various eras, where certain people and angles dominated. It doesn't have to be super-in-depth, but points like "During this time, a young up-and-comer known as Toxxic made a splash, quickly dispatching a few veterans for his first cruiserweight title" would be noted. Sort of if all the veterans were thinking back, this is what they'd remember.

And what the hell is an "ML"?

Now I get you. I honestly thought you meant a page for each era. Still, I doubt many of us will be able to remember enough to make it worth it, especially as far as the IGN days are concerned. Though if we were to do it, I think we can safely break it down into IGNWF, IGNJL, IGNML, Smarks Move/SWF, SJL, and finally the SWF/SJL Merge to Current.

The ML = IGNML, another splinter federation which split from the IGNJL in early 2001 (?) when even that became too much to handle, though the two rejoined just before I came in.

Seriously, what the hell happened!? I zoned out of the fed for a week or so and next thing I know, there's about five new writers. And not just that, but new writers who actually post in the Community Board. Hell, new writers that actually know the Community Board exists even!

What's a community board?

For the record, I still have a lot of stuff from the early IGN days stored away in the bowels of an old drive. I've got a large chunk of the Scoop Slam Post, the original threads of the first two years of PPVs, 2001 and 2002 IGNWF Awards, the last ML show, and a bunch of other random things that may or may not be useful.

There's also the source code and images from at least three versions of the website that we've had in the past (the original IGN themed one, the terrible orange one that followed it, and the one from about three years ago during my second run. Basically the three I made and, against all reason and logic, tried to maintain.

If anybody wants to go through it all and pick out what should go in the wiki, let me know.

"During this time, an up-and-coming rookie named Toxxic made a splash by defeating several veterans and failing to even gain contendership to the Cruiserweight Title due to Alan Fucking Clark".

:P

Damn it Clark, Cruiserweight and then International, that's twice you've got in my way.

In other news, you're all awesome and I have nothing to contribute.

So, just to get this straight, it goes: IGNWF -----> IGNWF/JL -----> IGNWF/JL/ML -----> IGNWF/JL -----> SWF/JL -----> SWF ?

I'd say organize two different histories: WF and JL, with the ML falling under the JL (They were both feeder leagues, anyways). And generally speaking, keep to things like the major angles going on at the time. I dunno much history yet, but I'm sure people could tell me what was happening in the Main Event and the bigger feuds of 2004, 2003, and even 2002.

Perhaps it would be best to flesh out what defines an 'era', as those are the placemarkers. Can someone flesh out some rough golden age and silver age dates, maybe? And does anyone think there were any seriously major events that should be marked down? Not like title changes, but the move from the IGNWF to the SWF probably warrants a small entry, as it's a big move in and out of character. Are there any big events like that?