TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Human Fly

Chris Benoit Dead - Toxicology results released

from the torch.

U.S. Congressman Cliff Stearns of Florida was quoted in the Baltimore Sun on Monday that Congress should hold hearings on steroids in wrestling, similar to Major League Baseball in 2005.

"Between 1985 and 2006, 89 wrestlers have died before the age of 50," Stearns told the paper. "Of course, not all of these deaths can be attributed to steroid use. However, this abnormally high number of deaths of young, fit athletes should raise congressional alarms."

Stearns was involved in MLB and NFL steroid investigation two years ago, and he's urging the Commerce, Trade & Consumer Protection Subcommittee to look into the prevalence of steroids in wrestling to determine how it can be eliminated from the business.

Hold hearings for steroids in football while you're at it. And bodybuilding. May as well waste all of Congress's time instead of just some of it.

89 deaths + steroids>thousands of deaths of young people in a pointless war

And people wonder why I think this country is stupid.

Stasiak is the absolute bottom of the scrap heap of wrestling. I'm just waiting for Jake to stumble out of a bed of coke onto the set of Nancy Grace.

lol..he didn't do a bad job at all though.

Guest Natchou

This isn't going to be good. :(

http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/news/h...t.asp?aID=20127

Linda McMahon is advertised as being on Bill O'Reilly tomorrow night. She is good on her feet and very smart, but I saw Catherine Crier eat her lunch bad on Court TV years ago on a far less dangerous topic (marketing action figures to children). I would have advised her to go on with a more reasonable host who is out for doing a good story as opposed to getting himself over.

Bruno Sammartino will be on Scarborough Country both Wednesday and Thursday night. I believe both Billy Graham and wife Valerie are booked on the show tomorrow.

Next obscure wrestler to go on Nancy Grace to comment on the Benoit story?

I'd say it's a toss up between 'Above Average" Mike Sanders and the Disco Inferno.

Unless Umaga is right behind Linda I'd suggest canceling her appearance on OReilly

And they should show footage of her and Kane for no reason.

Unless Umaga is right behind Linda I'd suggest canceling her appearance on OReilly

And they should show footage of her and Kane for no reason.

I just got an image of Estrada going on that Grace woman's show and having Umaga destroy her :headbang:

This could be ugly indeed but I'm looking forward to it. IF orielly comes prepared and asks her some really tough questions, I'd really like to see how she answers them. She is either brave...or stupid because no matter what she is not going to look good. She would have served herself much better if she went on Abram's show imo.

Considering the temper of Vince though, that would be some good TV if he went on there. Several weeks ago, Orielly and Geraldo almost seem to come to blows on that show over illegal immigration. Orielly was screaming so loud you could literally hear him on Geraldo's microphone. It seemed really close to getting out of hand. So Mcmahon losing his temper on there would no doubt lead to some interesting things.

last week they had some kind of clip show on larry's 50 years in the business or whatever and they show him with all these famous people and alot of what he gets is because its really a softball show which is how he gets the big exclusive interviews. he has the rep for not going for the big hardhitting questions but from the clips you wouldnt know that. like the stuff about steroids with hogan and when he asked bret about owen. his show is so harmless that he slips in a pretty good question toally nonsequitir but that makes all the clips makin him look like a hard hitting newsman

so he's not an asshole but that's the show you go on when you want to come off looking really good.

It was reported that Mero WAS supposed to be on King with his tagpartner Blackman but they told him to hit the road, and he ended up only being on Nancy Grace and Abrams an hour later.

But still wwe very LAME pulling him off the show.

Anyone who saw Larry knows the whole show was a total wwe lovefest.

There was an awesome part in the Nancy Grace show where Konnan calls out "guy with the beard, he's a fukin moron" Best Nancy Grace show ever.

Anyone who saw Larry knows the whole show was a total wwe lovefest.

Totally agree with you on this one. All the hard hitting questions came from the viewers through e-mails, especially the one about wrestlers needing a union, and Larry just let them off with aversive answers as per usual. I thought it was a little hypocritical of Bret Hart to say that there needs to be a union because where was he in championing a union when he was in the WWF back in the 90s and was one of its top stars? I just don't recall any information about Bret's activities in terms of trying to organize (because we know in Vinne Mac's world that's an immediate pink slip - look to Slaughter & Ventura). However, I definitely knew Cena wasn't going to say there needs to be a union.

On Benoit in general, I have been out in California teaching at a debate camp and initially the news of his death hit me pretty hard. However, now that more details have come to light I have lost total respect for the guy and feel disgusted that I rooted for him for all these years dating back to the fall of 1995. He deserves to burn in hell for what he did to his family, there are simply no excuses for his behavior. This will definitely make it hard to watch any Benoit matches in the future.

Guest shoryuken007

Man, I'm tired of the Larry King/WWE bashing. Basically every other media outlet EVER is laying the blame on Vince McMahon and steroids, virtually crucifying the company. GOD FORBID they be allowed to send intelligent representatives to state their case in a calm, civilized manner.

Shawn Stasiak is actually now Dr. Shawn Stasiak. He is a highly successful chiropractor now and has left wrestling in the dust.

Guest •
89 deaths + steroids>thousands of deaths of young people in a pointless war

I don't think Congress has exactly dropped everything it was doing to address steroids in pro wrestling. One legislator out of 435 says "hey, this is worth looking into" and suddenly this has taken precedence over everything else in the goddamned world? Whom are you trying to kid? The government, believe it or not, can address more than one problem at a time. I think the rise of widespread prescription drug abuse, of which performance-enhancing drugs compose a subset, is a social problem worthy of being addressed somewhere down the line. Playing the "but there's a war" card, as well as any iteration of "there's something more important than this, which renders the pertinent issue irrelevant" is a good way to show that you're out of thoughts.

And people wonder why I think this country is stupid.

I bet they do! Strangers must approach you outside Walgreen's and stuff, pleading with you to reconsider.

Isn't Linda McMahon a Lawyer? Sure I've read that somewhere. If so, could be the reason she was sent out onto the chatshows since she's a McMahon and possibly has some ground in Law.

Guest beau99
Shawn Stasiak is actually now Dr. Shawn Stasiak. He is a highly successful chiropractor now and has left wrestling in the dust.

Chiropractors are NOT doctors.

However, he has a doctorate degree, so technically you can call him that.

found this on PWHeadlines:

Matt Hardy recently posted the following blog on his MySpace page:

My Opinions and Beliefs

After taking in everything that has been going on and said about the WWE the last couple of weeks, I am ready to air my feelings and comments. I'm going to speak as candid and as honestly as I can. I've been told it's ok to say what I want, and that's exactly what I'm gonna do.

The first thing I want to mention is how disappointed I am with a majority of the media's coverage of the recent events. There was a terrible tragedy that happened and now the media wants to points the finger of responsibility at our industry. So many people are looking for someone else to take the blame--in a constant attempt to garner ratings on the "hot" story. If it turns out what is currently speculated is what actually happened to Chris Benoit and his family, only one person was ultimately responsible--that being Chris himself. I would suggest it was because Chris Benoit had a mental dysfunction, some sort of mental illness or disease. Any form of life, in any occupation, can eventually reach a point where they became mentally ill because they let their personal and professional issues overtake their sanity. Whatever walk of life you come from, you have to be able to know within yourself when you need help. If you continue to go without help or change when you desperately need it, you'll eventually snap. It's happened to postal workers, factory workers, school kids, people from all walks of life--this time it just happened to be a professional wrestler.

Some of the media have made ridiculous statements and created so many absurd scenarios. Such things as Chris Benoit was demoted by going from "The Four Horsemen to Raw"--and that Nancy Benoit and Sherri Martel passed away on the same day, and were their deaths somehow tied together? Within the WWE we exaggerate stories and have over the top characters--but we admit we're entertainment. It's so irresponsible for some of the media to state such sensationalized stories and give incorrect information--they claim to be reporting factual events to the public.

It's also very odd that so many older wrestlers that haven't been in our locker room in years, some decades--seem to think they're informed of the current habits of today's talent. If they're legitimately trying to make a difference, I can respect and applaud that. But if their motive is to get that fifteen minutes of fame and get their name circulating again, that's not very cool. Regardless of their motivation, they don't know the activities of our generation, the newer generation. The talent has changed. Our generation is so much more responsible and cognizant of their lifestyles and health compared to the generations before. Does that mean everyone's perfect? Absolutely not. But the talent is so much more disciplined and responsible than the talent from years past. The demographic that the media always speaks about "dying young" is yesterday's generation, not today's. Those numbers will dwindle down in the years to come--I guarantee it.

The current WWE roster is the best behaved and most responsible locker room that I've ever been in over the nine years I've been with the WWE. And the drug-testing system that we have is totally legitimate. If it wasn't, I wouldn't state that publicly. Considering the physicality of what we all do, there will always be times where injured wrestlers will be prescribed medications to legitimately deal with pain and injuries. And I don't mean the exaggerated overdoses that Dr. Astin was apparently prescribing.

I just recently read an article debating if "personal choice" existed in wrestling--of course it does. I think it all comes down to being disciplined and responsible. Vince McMahon gives everyone he hires an opportunity--it's up to you with what you do with it and how you handle yourself. I'm not a huge guy. I'm not the most talented guy to ever walk through the WWE doors. But I was and I still am given an opportunity to bust my ass and work hard and succeed. And I have. And I didn't have to look like a bodybuilder to do so. I'm not a steroid user. Never will be. But that hasn't stopped me from making a great living within the WWE for almost nine years. Over the course of the last six months, I've been on the most successful run of my entire career. And I'm not a drug user--with the exception of a occasional beer or cocktail. If I have an early flight or an early wake up, I go to bed early. I'm responsible. If I have a minor injury, I make it my priority to take care of it and treat it. I'm responsible. Back in the day, during the generations before us, wrestlers were so consumed with living the "rock star" lifestyle that they sacrificed sleeping and recuperation time to party. The "rock star" lifestyle often consisted of doing recreational drugs to party and then using drugs to go to sleep and then wake up. But our generation is not doing that like yesterday's generation. In fact, the majority of the guys within the WWE today frown on that behavior. Being a professional wrestler is a challenging and tough career--but it ultimately our "personal choices" that depend on how each wrestler lives their life.

The WWE is so often scrutinized for so many negative things--what about all the great things that the WWE does? What about all the great things performers like myself do? How come that's not weighed in when people are making blanket comments about the WWE? I pride myself on being a role model. I can't tell you how much it means to me to have the power to brighten people's lives. Whether it's a Make-A-Wish child, an injured soldier, or just a random Matt Hardy fan--I have been blessed with the ability to make people smile, to be able to give them a memorable moment. I fortunately have the power to make people feel good. I also have the power to influence people. And I take that power very seriously and responsibly. I conscientiously live my life in a way where others could model themselves after me. I don't do drugs, I always attempt to do the right thing, to be a good person, and to lead by example. I often visit military hospitals, children's hospitals, and schools to speak to kids about the importance of education. So do many of the other WWE superstars. And don't forget the WWE's donations to charities, Smackdown your Vote, the Get Real program, or the annual Tribute to the Troops trip that happens every year. Myself and the WWE do alot of wonderful things that are often forgotten or overlooked because we're "wrestling." I try to make a difference, give back, and change the world every day of my life--and being a "wrestler" is what allows me to often succeed.

I want to thanks all of the "wrestling" fans that have stuck with me through thick and thin. I also want to thank all of the fans that have stuck with the wrestling industry for the right reasons. There's at least one thing that Matt Hardy and the wrestling business have in common--regardless of what we're put through, we "Will Not Die!"

Quote of the day - "I don't shine if you don't shine" - The Killers, Read My Mind

Matt

Matt Hardy raises alot of good points, its like that in all of the world, i mean how often do we actually hear good news in the media anymore

Bullshit. I have three close friends who went on to become chiropractors. They had 3 to 3 1/2 years of chiropractic school AFTER completing their 4 year degrees. They had rotations just like other doctors. Their degrees say "Doctor of Chiropractic." They had to take the same state and national boards that any other licensed doctor had to take. They are recognized as doctors all across the nation.

The difference is that doctors that prescribe medicine believe in treating illnesses with chemicals and medicine (not counting broken bones, surgeries, etc.). Chiropractors believe in preventing illnesses with adjusting the spine and central nervous systems. More and more traditional doctors are working together with chiropractors instead of calling them "witch doctors" and disregarding their craft as voodoo.

I laughed my ass off when I saw the Dr. tag in front of him name. And I think wrestling left HIM in the dust...not the other way around.

Chris Kay, who was a referee on SmackDown, was fired due to repeated drug test failures.

He came up through OVW, made his debut on Raw in 2004, then moved to SmackDown in 2005. He was recently under a 60 day suspension due to a drug test failure.

See the Wellness policy does work

I laughed my ass off when I saw the Dr. tag in front of him name. And I think wrestling left HIM in the dust...not the other way around.

Well being a chiropractor is a hell of a lot better job than a wrestler, so I doubt he's losing any sleep over it.

Crack some bones, get a huge payment out of some poor sap and then see them back in two weeks when they feel like crap again. I'm starting to think Planet Stasiak might be the smartest man to ever been in the business. Wrestle for a couple of years to live your dream and then go on to a real profession with just as nice a payday with days off.

I suddenly respect Shawn Stasiak. God damn you news media, I hate you even more now.

For what it's worth, he still wrestles every now and then at indie shows in Texas. A guy over at WC mentioned that he's worked with him at a few shows, and really enjoyed doing so.