TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Human Fly

Chris Benoit Dead - Toxicology results released

I can't believe they're going to edit out Chris Benoit's matches on future event re-releases! Its not right what he did, but that doesn't mean other wrestlers should have to pay for his mistake!

Dave mentions the Mark Henry interview at the end of his rant, noting that he'll probably get in trouble for it, for actually suggesting that other wrestlers actually have drugs or do drugs when "the locker room's clean!! the policy works!!"

Although he once wrestled as Sexual Chocolate, Henry's weakness is barbecue.

When he can, he likes to go to Lockhart or Taylor for brisket and sausage.

Such absolutely random things to point out in an otherwise decent article.

I remember a story about how Henry was once, as a rib, told he couldn't ride on the plane with the other guys. So, he got a rental and drove instead.

I'd like to see some example of Meltzer and company being 'stuck' on Vince walking in the 90s while reporting on this. If a lot of their coverage on this seems negative, it's because it's hard for it to not to be.

They have spent the past 10 years routinely plugging issues of their publication from the McMahon trial (I'm including Keller in here too) and both have brought it up this time around - despite the fact that the five most recent deaths were an overdose of someone that hadn't been in the company since 1994, another person that never wrestled for the company at all and a domestic dispute DOUBLE MURDER SUICIDE from an obviously fucked up man that was drunk, depressed and on various prescription meds. Last time I looked at the Torch website there were several items from the McMahon trial. No there aren't specific examples but it doesn't take a genius to see that they've carried a hard on for McMahon walking free all these years. They may say, "Oh, we just want the industry to be better" but if that was the case how come they aren't harping on changes to TNA, ROH, AAA or whatever other company is out there. Their focus is on McMahon and WWE and while they are the industry leader they are also the only company in the industry that has made changes, that do pay for rehab, pay for surgeries, etc.

Listen, they can be be critical and they both make valid points. Improvements do have to be made. Anyone can see the loopholes in the drug testing and the fact that they still push big guys. And there is also a problem when people retire with no pension. Anyone that defends WWE to any extent on here recognizes those problems. But be like Dave Scherer and acknowledge that changes for the better have been made by the company and it's a different scene than it was ten or even five years ago. The Wellness Program wasn't going to be perfected in two years and at some point they were going to be called on the prescription loophole - there was an investigation under way before the Benoit thing. The fact that it isn't a rock star enivoronment backstage, there is drug testing and doctor examinations, there are a lot more clearer thinking wrestlers than there were 10 or 15 years ago, the schedule is lighter and they push a safer style are all positives.

And they can't expect WWE employees to not be on the defensive with the media. The media isn't reporting this as a pro wrestling problem - they are labeling it a WWE problem. It's the WWE logo on the screen with the wrestling deaths headline and that is an attack on their livlihood. So of course they are going to be on the defensive and say things like only five deaths were under their watch - in their eyes they aren't responsible for Road Warrior Hawk being on steroids and drugs years before he came into WWF, Curt Henning doing cocaine in his 40's, the Von Erich deaths, Terry Gordy, Chris Adams and all of these names being thrown around that had nothing to do with a WWF/WWE problem. Nor is a contracted talent going to say something about forming a union for a pension/health care and the drugs floating around backstage. Even when they do respond to something honestly - like the Mark Henry interview - Meltzer and Keller are the first ones to make sure that EVERYONE knows of what he said in some regional newspaper and how the company shouldn't be happy with it.

The Observer website has posted some letters sent in as a result of Meltzer's tirade yesterday and one of them is a real gem. Among many head shakers, it actually suggests blaming internet websites, because their reporting of Benoit's work ethic and match quality might have driven Benoit to take steroids so as to keep performing at that level.

Guest •
I can't believe they're going to edit out Chris Benoit's matches on future event re-releases! Its not right what he did, but that doesn't mean other wrestlers should have to pay for his mistake!

i no! not kewl!

The Observer website has posted some letters sent in as a result of Meltzer's tirade yesterday and one of them is a real gem. Among many head shakers, it actually suggests blaming internet websites, because their reporting of Benoit's work ethic and match quality might have driven Benoit to take steroids so as to keep performing at that level.

I haven't read the letter but it's been documented that both Eddie and Chris were extremely judgmental of their work and critical of their own matches. Chris in particular supposedly would email Alvarez and Meltzer about feedback to his matches or things he read in the Observer. So I'm sure part of their "individual choice" to take steroids or pain killers were due to a desire to perform at Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero match quality levels and people like Meltzer would be the first to comment whenever they didn't. I'm just saying it's not something to completely laugh off or label ridiculous. It's no more ridiculous then saying that they needed to continue taking roids to be a top guy in WWE when they had already earned a reputation in the company for their work ethic and there are guys like Edge and HBK on top who obviously aren't roided up now.

I haven't read the letter but it's been documented that both Eddie and Chris were extremely judgmental of their work and critical of their own matches. Chris in particular supposedly would email Alvarez and Meltzer about feedback to his matches or things he read in the Observer. So I'm sure part of their "individual choice" to take steroids or pain killers were due to a desire to perform at Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero match quality levels and people like Meltzer would be the first to comment whenever they didn't. I'm just saying it's not something to completely laugh off or label ridiculous. It's no more ridiculous then saying that they needed to continue taking roids to be a top guy in WWE when they had already earned a reputation in the company for their work ethic and there are guys like Edge and HBK on top who obviously aren't roided up now.

Okay, having read the Observer website just now, the guy that wrote this email was an idiot, with the bicycle analogy and all. Still, his point about those guys being addicts in part due to maintaining the level of work they had a reputation for, and the role of the internet and guys like Meltzer and Keller, shouldn't be laughed off.

Just Coz-

WWE IS the whole wrestling business for all intents and purposes. Meltzer & Alvarez have been terribly critical of TNA's drug stance in the past, and indies couldn't afford to test themselves.

Just Coz-

WWE IS the whole wrestling business for all intents and purposes. Meltzer & Alvarez have been terribly critical of TNA's drug stance in the past, and indies couldn't afford to test themselves.

No, it's not, not when guys are dying under the watch of every company, not just WWE. Let's also not forget that ROH was quick to give Jamie Noble work, regardless of him literally having a needle in his ass from what I remember, and how quick TNA were to hire Jeff Hardy and Kurt Angle, despite their issues. WWE's policing or enforcing of their drug program does the business no good if smaller companies just hire the punished talent anyway. And then it will be up to WWE to defend the business if those individuals die under someone else's watch, despite WWE taking action and releasing them. If there is any reason for regulation - it's that - and it goes beyond WWE. If Randy Orton got shit canned tomorrow by WWE, enforcing their drug policy, he'd be available to work for TNA, ROH or whoever. So what good does it do?

I should've phrased that better:

Re: Steroids, WWE is absolutely the business. If they stopped pushing based on physiques, there would be a change to some degree. Granted, you will have your Davey Richards "I AM A PURORESU FIGHTER WHO FIGHTS IN THE STRONG STYLE" types who are jacked up anyway even if they don't seem to want to go to WWE, and it wouldn't necessarily affect what they do.

With regards to painkiller/street drug addiction issues, WWE always tries their damnedest to get an addict help, and that goes back to pre-Wellness policy.

And again, Meltzer and Alvarez have badly raked TNA over the coals over and over for their "drug policy."

As far as ROH, there are absolutely a ton of guys on their roster who are gassed up. If they can afford testing (and I'm not sure they can), they should do it. If they can't, then they should stop pushing Tank Toland with his "lol steroids" gimmick.

It's not ALL WWE's fault, but most of it is.

I should've phrased that better:

Re: Steroids, WWE is absolutely the business. If they stopped pushing based on physiques, there would be a change to some degree. Granted, you will have your Davey Richards "I AM A PURORESU FIGHTER WHO FIGHTS IN THE STRONG STYLE" types who are jacked up anyway even if they don't seem to want to go to WWE, and it wouldn't necessarily affect what they do.

With regards to painkiller/street drug addiction issues, WWE always tries their damnedest to get an addict help, and that goes back to pre-Wellness policy.

And again, Meltzer and Alvarez have badly raked TNA over the coals over and over for their "drug policy."

As far as ROH, there are absolutely a ton of guys on their roster who are gassed up. If they can afford testing (and I'm not sure they can), they should do it. If they can't, then they should stop pushing Tank Toland with his "lol steroids" gimmick.

It's not ALL WWE's fault, but most of it is.

I know where you're coming from - it's up to WWE to change the body type associated with making a lot of money in pro wrestling. I agree with that completely. The thing is, they kind of did the last time they were forced in this situation, when guys like HBK and Bret Hart were pushed for the first time, although I would assume both of them were roided up at various points. My point is those guys influenced a whole new generation of fans that wrestlers didn't have to be Hulk Hogan, the Road Warriors and the Ultimate Warrior. That carried over into Nitro and their showcase of luchas and cruiserweights. So the indies are full of people influenced by smaller guys but Vince has no interest in them - he wants the 6'4 at least 275lbs. or whatever Johnny Ace's requirement is. So the little guys still feed the same need to bulk up - just like Eddie and Benoit - if they every wanna headline Wrestlemania - just to get in the door really.

I just watched the Kennedy interview and so far, it's been the only interview that I've been able to watch all the way through without having to shake my head or laugh at it. I tried watching the one with Finlay on it, but since it sounds like he got caught off guard and owned by both Nancy Grace (how the fuck does she get one over?) and Marc Mero, I didn't feel like watching it.

WWE really needs to send out guys and girls who can hold their own in one of these interviews where someone may be attacked. Kennedy's interview is pretty much the only one I've seen where it didn't come off as a attack interview and surprisingly that came from Fox News. WWE really needs to send someone like JBL out on Nancy Grace or a interview that will turn into a attack becuase he's one of those who can hold their own..plus it would be great to see him just go off on either Grace or Mero.

Guest Toddiwod
WWE really needs to send someone like JBL out on Nancy Grace or a interview that will turn into a attack becuase he's one of those who can hold their own..plus it would be great to see him just go off on either Grace or Mero.

Hell yeah. I personally think JBL should basically just be the spokesman for the entire company. I think he'd be the most effective, and the most entertaining.

Looking back on how this broke out, and how everything has been handled... it's sad that Victoria can release a better statement in a myspace blog, than the entire PR department of the WWE.

I don't have a problem with anything Dave said honestly, other than the part where he expects WWE guys to bash the company they work for. Even if any of them really feel that way it would be a completely idiotic move that would cause serious repercussion.

More serious than overdosing?

Metzler didn't ask them to bash the company, he asked them to stand up and make suggestions on how things can be improved. Which is perfectly reasonable. All companies should be open to discussion of their practices, and allow employees to respectfully disagree with them and offer an alternative.

If the policy is sound, there is nothing to fear from an employee challenging. Any company that silences opinions like this is usually on shaky ground... and knows it.

I just watched the Kennedy interview and so far, it's been the only interview that I've been able to watch all the way through without having to shake my head or laugh at it.

"MAYBE HE JUST DID STEROIDS THE DAY HE DIED!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111"

No.

Guest NateW

The thing about WWE "being the wrestling business" is overplayed nonsense. A number of current TNA stars have chosen TNA over WWE. Bryan Danielson turned down WWE at least once in the last few years. Word is that Matt Sydal has offers from WWE, TNA and ROH. Does anybody actually think that he will go with WWE? I'll bet that WWE is the least likely place Sydal will go to in the end. Bottom line, if WWE was the wrestling business then a number of wrestlers wouldn'nt be turning them down for TNA, ROH, other indies, Japan, etc. The whole business needs to be looked at, not just WWE. Even if these other feds don't push roid freaks like WWE they still promote a style with more stiffness, highspots, and hardcore matches that can destroy bodies and lead to drug use.

I just watched the Kennedy interview and so far, it's been the only interview that I've been able to watch all the way through without having to shake my head or laugh at it.

"MAYBE HE JUST DID STEROIDS THE DAY HE DIED!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111"

No.

Umm..ok.

I think he meant the part at the end when Kennedy was struggling to answer "What if Benoit had steroids in his system?", and then finally said something like "he probably did them the day before he died". The uncomfortable pause and then that answer made for a pretty terrible way to end the interview.

Why doesn't TNA have a wellness policy in place?

Because they don't give a shit? They hired 2 guys the WWE fired because they wouldn't go to rehab.....

I think he meant the part at the end when Kennedy was struggling to answer "What if Benoit had steroids in his system?", and then finally said something like "he probably did them the day before he died". The uncomfortable pause and then that answer made for a pretty terrible way to end the interview.

Right, I thought, given the circumstances, he handled himself pretty well until that part. Even if he would have just said that Benoit may have started back up on roids after he cleared the April test. There is plenty of time in between the testing date and the murders for this to be WWE's defense of their testing process and they should at least prep the talent that are speaking to the media to respond to a question about the possibility of his toxicology showing steroids.

Odds are toxicology won't show any seeing as they didn't find his body till 2 days later and steroids generally only stay in your system for 24 hours.

they didn't find his body till 2 days later and steroids generally only stay in your system for 24 hours.

No, they didn't (they found it, tops, in a day and possibly even the same day), and I'm pretty sure that's for a living, breathing person.