TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Human Fly

Chris Benoit Dead - Toxicology results released

No, 'roids stay in your system for a while. Firstly, it's a long-term process, you have to take them for weeks if not months before you see any difference. Secondly, it's not like other drugs where they can just test for the presence of the drug itself in the body; steroids are comprised of chemicals that are all naturally found in the human body. They measure the hormone levels and the ratio of various different chemicals that end in "gen", "one", and "bol", and look for unnatural levels. That kind of thing certainly doesn't go away in 24 hours.

I think he meant the part at the end when Kennedy was struggling to answer "What if Benoit had steroids in his system?", and then finally said something like "he probably did them the day before he died". The uncomfortable pause and then that answer made for a pretty terrible way to end the interview.

Right, I thought, given the circumstances, he handled himself pretty well until that part. Even if he would have just said that Benoit may have started back up on roids after he cleared the April test. There is plenty of time in between the testing date and the murders for this to be WWE's defense of their testing process and they should at least prep the talent that are speaking to the media to respond to a question about the possibility of his toxicology showing steroids.

Except for the paper trail of massive amount of steroids purchased leading further back and well into the current period.

PWInisider:

TNA champion Kurt Angle was interviewed by The Times and Democrat in South Carolina over the weekend while making a signing appearance. As you can imagine, most of the interview dealt with the Chris Benoit tragedy and the professional wrestling industry. Highlights of the interview feature:

The Benoit Tragedy: “Well, I think the one thing WWE and TNA needs to do is step back and take a look and listen to the wrestlers. This is not WWE’s fault and this is not Vince McMahon’s fault. Chris Benoit was responsible for his own actions. Chris chose his own career. He chose to stick with the WWE when I am sure he could have went anywhere else, whether it be in Japan or TNA. But, Chris stuck to go with the grind.”

TNA's Schedule vs. WWE's "It's good. I chose to quit WWE. Vince McMahon wanted me to go full time, and we were butting heads. I felt I put in enough time and all the effort I could to wrestle 250 or 300 days per year, and I felt like I couldn’t do that any longer. Vince, on the other hand, with the amount of money (I was the highest paid individual last year) said I should go full-time. He needed me for all the house shows, TV -- everything, I just did not have enough in me to continue to go 300 days per year. I felt it would have gotten to the point where I would have gotten exhausted, and I probably wouldn’t be alive today. I decided to go with TNA, and they monitor me with doctors and keep me in 10 or less matches per month. So, they are keeping me alive and well and wrestling, and I appreciate that.”

Burning Out on the Business: “There is no sport more brutal. It is a year-round sport, and not even MMA is like that. Heck, those guys fight two or three times per year, and they get their downtime. There is nothing more grueling, and it comes to a point, for me it took six and a half years before I said, ‘Okay, I’m done.’ I felt like I wanted to be a part of a program where someone actually cared about my health.”

Benoit's State of Mind: “I talked to Chris, and he did not want to continue to wrestle 250 days per year. He wanted to wrestle a lot less. He was getting beat up, and I think in the end that started to get to him.”

Nice to see Angle still being full of crap about most things and point blank lying.....I'm sure he was the highest paid uh huh....and we all know the real reason he got fired, but hey Kurt whatever you wanna say.

Nice to see Angle still being full of crap about most things and point blank lying.....I'm sure he was the highest paid uh huh....and we all know the real reason he got fired, but hey Kurt whatever you wanna say.

Please enlighten the unknowing about his 'lying' and 'real reason' for being fired. No, I don't mean that sarcastically.

According to various sources, the reason Angle left WWE for TNA last year was not Angle's doing. He had a problem with common wrestling drugs, I forget which ones (I believe painkillers and 'roids), and Vince offered Angle the same thing he did Guerrero: contractual release, and rehab paid for by WWE. Angle didn't want either, so he was opted out of his contract, took some down time, and then showed up in TNA.

Why doesn't TNA have a wellness policy in place?

Because they don't give a shit? They hired 2 guys the WWE fired because they wouldn't go to rehab.....

And the rest who they let run out their contracts at home like Raven, Billy Gunn and Road Dogg.

As I recall Angle was fucked up to the point of incoherency and was a danger to himself and others as result. He wanted fewer dates but the same money and didn't view his drug problems in as serious of a light as Vince did, so they released him from his contract since he was becoming a liability. I think they even offered him a raise in addition to covering his rehab costs.

© For testosterone, the following standards shall apply:

1. A Testosterone/Epitestosterone (T/E) ratio above ten (10) shall be conclusively regarded as a positive test result.

2. A Testosterone/Epitestosterone (T/E) ratio greater than four (4) but less than ten (10) shall require follow-up testing and/or medical evaluation to determine if the test shall be interpreted as positive for the active use of Testosterone or evidence of other steroids influencing the T/E ratio.

3. A Testosterone/Epitestosterone (T/E) ratio of four (4) or less shall be regarded as a negative test result.

And that right there is why the WWE steroid testing is a complete joke.

I'm just getting around to watching the latest Nancy Grace clips w/Finlay, etc. on YouTube. In the first part does she say that it's Johnny Grunge's wife and Nancy Benoit in footage at ringside, when it's clearly Liz and Nancy? Man, these hosts are unreal...

I'm just getting around to watching the latest Nancy Grace clips w/Finlay, etc. on YouTube. In the first part does she say that it's Johnny Grunge's wife and Nancy Benoit in footage at ringside, when it's clearly Liz and Nancy? Man, these hosts are unreal...

Yep, she does it, I shook my head. I also shook my head when she went into this huge thing about how no one can die from sleep apnea....then did quote marks with her fingers like it was some made up thing that didn't exist.

© For testosterone, the following standards shall apply:

1. A Testosterone/Epitestosterone (T/E) ratio above ten (10) shall be conclusively regarded as a positive test result.

2. A Testosterone/Epitestosterone (T/E) ratio greater than four (4) but less than ten (10) shall require follow-up testing and/or medical evaluation to determine if the test shall be interpreted as positive for the active use of Testosterone or evidence of other steroids influencing the T/E ratio.

3. A Testosterone/Epitestosterone (T/E) ratio of four (4) or less shall be regarded as a negative test result.

And that right there is why the WWE steroid testing is a complete joke.

um....why is that?

According to this policy you COULD get suspended for a T/E ratio of 5. 10 is a automatic suspension. 5-9 is where more test are done.

Am I missing what the problem is here.

Or better yet, how this makes Kennedy or Finley misinformed or lying when they said that they had to have a ration of 4?

Because by the standards of the international anti-doping organization, whose test methods are used by every sport from the Olympics on down, a ratio of 4 is a failed test. A simple 1/1 ratio is considered normal for an average person. There's a lot of wiggle room in between 1 and 4 for a guy to roid up. Yet the WWE allows anything up to a 4 to be considered an automatic pass. The message is clear: they don't want to "catch" their guys roiding.

And no, a 5-9 isn't a suspension. Read the policy again. It just means you have to take the test again. Only getting a 10 or higher, IF you aren't prescribed steroids by a doctor, is considered flunking the drug test.

Actually, as shady as all that is, it's not even the most lax part of the test. That is: they don't watch you pee. This means you can easily do the old "airtight bottle o' someone else's clean pee hugged up under your nuts" routine that is so beloved of potheads on probation/parole everywhere.

I don't even think they do surprise tests do they? Somewhere in all of this mess, I've heard that they actually inform those who are to be tested hours in advance.

And no, a 5-9 isn't a suspension. Read the policy again. It just means you have to take the test again. Only getting a 10 or higher, IF you aren't prescribed steroids by a doctor, is considered flunking the drug test.

Not saying that they have a "all our guys are clean" policy or anything, but that policy doesn't say anything like that. Anything over 4 and they will do additional test to determine if it is a positive or not.

So once again, according to this policy, a ration of 5 CAN lead to suspension.

Not saying that it does, but from a policy standpoint, this is actually pretty solid. You are allowed up to a 4:1 ratio (which, is high but at the same time, its the same as the NFL apparently) anything more than that more testing is done. At 10, its a automatic fail.

Saying that according to policy they allow up to 10:1 is quite a bit misleading as the policy itself doesn't say anything close to that.

I don't doubt that the ones getting caught are pure idiots because they probably are told in advanced and probably aren't watched when they take a piss. But those bashing the written policy, I honestly don't see what you can bash here.

Because by the standards of the international anti-doping organization, whose test methods are used by every sport from the Olympics on down, a ratio of 4 is a failed test. A simple 1/1 ratio is considered normal for an average person. There's a lot of wiggle room in between 1 and 4 for a guy to roid up. Yet the WWE allows anything up to a 4 to be considered an automatic pass. The message is clear: they don't want to "catch" their guys roiding.

Actually, as shady as all that is, it's not even the most lax part of the test. That is: they don't watch you pee. This means you can easily do the old "airtight bottle o' someone else's clean pee hugged up under your nuts" routine that is so beloved of potheads on probation/parole everywhere.

Are you sure about this? I think the WWE testing is monitored. They had doctors monitoring the samples in the 90's although X-Pac said a few of them were easy to slip by. WCW didn't monitor anything but I"m pretty sure WWE's testing is watched and they can'd do the old pee switch.

Lashley must have a ratio of 15 to 1...

seriously though, the fact lashley has not been suspended should be a screaming signal that something isn't right with the testing or how wwe handles negative results.

Are you sure about this? I think the WWE testing is monitored. They had doctors monitoring the samples in the 90's although X-Pac said a few of them were easy to slip by. WCW didn't monitor anything but I"m pretty sure WWE's testing is watched and they can'd do the old pee switch.

Under the '91-'96 policy they were monitored, under the current one they're not.

No, the NFL is a failure at 4:1.

Kind of puts a dent in the comparison made between the NFL and WWE's testing procedure Kennedy made.

They mention it being the same as the NFL. Ken says in Wrestling the outcomes are predetermined, and their levels are 4:1 Testosterone to Epitestosterone levels. He says if your levels are over you are suspended and Dr. Black [The Doctor who started this program] Will look at each case and if you have a legitimate medical reason why your levels are higher then 4:1, which there are very few reasons why you would be able to and if you don’t meet that criteria you are suspended and ultimately fired.

When a 4:1 is an automatic failure in the NFL testing and in the WWE testing it's only a suspension if you can't provide a medical reason for it, then it's more than a little misleading to declare them "the same".

And where Finlay looked bad on Nancy Grace is here, for those who missed it when previously posted:

National Ledger

First Bryan Alvarez delivered this: "According to the policy that WWE released after they had the meeting explaining that this was going to be done, the policy says that they test your testosterone to epitestosterone ratio. And if you've got a 4-to-1 or below, you pass. If you have a 10-to-1, it's an automatic failure. If you're between 4-to-1 and 10-to-1, as David Finlay said, they're going to talk to your doctor. They're going to make sure that everything is OK. They're going to make sure that your ratios are this high perhaps because this is what you're producing naturally."

He (Alvarez) added, "However, the policy also states that you can use testosterone and such for purposes of injury rehabilitation and purposes of replacement therapy. So if your doctor says that this is why you've got these prescriptions, you're OK.

That was challenged by Dave Finlay. "No, it won't. And what does he know? He's never been in the doors of WWE. I'm there every single day. I'm on the road four days a week. I know what the policy is. I went through it, and I have a lot of talent with me that have gone through it. It's garbage. It's just pure speculation. There's a definite strong in-force testing going on. And just because you got the script doesn't mean you're going to get away with it. Dr. Black may just turn around and say, That is -- I don't -- I don't accept it..."

Bryan Alvarez shot back, "I have taken this specifically from the WWE policy, and I talked to Jerry McDivett (ph), who is the WWE attorney, who explained the testosterone replacement therapy part of this."

So, either Finlay lied or his woefully misinformed about his own company's wellness policy. Neither of which makes him look good.

Lashley must have a ratio of 15 to 1...

seriously though, the fact lashley has not been suspended should be a screaming signal that something isn't right with the testing or how wwe handles negative results.

Lashley had to drop out of a PPV match and missed, what, about a month because he had some "medical condition with his liver".

He got suspended, although I don't see how he would be any cleaner now honestly.

New York Newsday featured an article on the Benoit tragedy with comments from Chris Kanyon, Paul Heyman and Rob Van Dam, among others at this link.

ECW Press announced today that they have signed author Irv Muschnick to pen a book about the Benoit family tragedy titled "Chris and Nancy" for a 2008 release.

Also keep in mind how arbitrary the punishments are. Test gets fired for allegedly flunking the test (bwahaha), but RVD and Sabu are arrested for drug use yet keep their jobs? Chris Masters gets sent to rehab for his drug usage, but Randy Orton walks around the locker room smoking a joint and barely gets a slap on the wrist?

It's especially annoying how secretive the whole process is. Unlike the NFL and every other sporting organization the WWE keeps trying to compare itself to, they don't announce when someone fails the tests. What other sport anywhere does drug testing but keeps the results an in-house secret? If it weren't for the Meltzers of the world, we'd never have any idea if anyone ever tested positive or not.

Chris Masters gets sent to rehab for his drug usage, but Randy Orton walks around the locker room smoking a joint and barely gets a slap on the wrist?

To be fair, both Masters and Orton got made fun of on Raw for losing bulk.

Oh, look...

Hunter mocks Chris Masters for losing weight

Note the remarkable change in Masters' physique.

That's even worse. Masters gets popped for drugs, goes to rehab, gets clean, and when he comes back to work again he's publicly mocked on-air for NOT using steroids? I mean, jesus, the bullshit piles up so high in the WWE you need wings to stay above it.

HTQ-look a little closer. 4:1 is a clean pass, 5:1 is where it starts getting questioned.

11. DEFINITION OF A POSITIVE TEST

HTQ-look a little closer. 4:1 is a clean pass, 5:1 is where it starts getting questioned.

You mean it's not the same as the NFL policy, as claimed? I'm shocked.

Seriously, the policy as it is written is a joke when you can be as high as 9:1 and still be considered as passing the test if you can provide a valid prescription for the drugs in question, which isn't exactly hard with a mark doctor. If they actually did make 4:1 an automatic failure, we might be getting somewhere.

ECW Press announced today that they have signed author Irv Muschnick to pen a book about the Benoit family tragedy titled "Chris and Nancy" for a 2008 release.

Wow. Already? Are they trying to cash in or is there some NFP that will be getting the funds from this?

Seriously, the policy as it is written is a joke when you can be as high as 9:1 and still be considered as passing the test if you can provide a valid prescription for the drugs in question, which isn't exactly hard with a mark doctor. If they actually did make 4:1 an automatic failure, we might be getting somewhere.

I believe the 5:1 to 9:1 semi-positives require re-testing first, not a scrip, which can get you out of a 10:1 (or more) failure.

Chris Masters gets sent to rehab for his drug usage, but Randy Orton walks around the locker room smoking a joint and barely gets a slap on the wrist?

Also, if I recall correctly, Vince was ready to fire Orton for doing this, but was talked out of it. Though, it's possible I'm wrong since Orton's antics are beginning to run together in my mind.

I believe the 5:1 to 9:1 semi-positives require re-testing first, not a scrip, which can get you out of a 10:1 (or more) failure.

When it says "medical evaluation", and it makes a point to differentiate this evaluation from an actual re-test, could be interpreted as meaning they get looked at a doctor and if the doctor determines the reason for the elevated ratio, or the drugs behind it, as being required, then it's given the ok and they're considered as having passed the test.