TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Human Fly

Chris Benoit Dead - Toxicology results released

I don't buy Dave Meltzer as this jaded guy covering wrestling because it pays the bills. The guy used to write for the Oakland Tribune and a couple papers in Texas covering legit sports. He has a degree in Journalism. If he was as jaded as some have made him out to be, why wouldn't he just end his misery and cover something else? He is already the MMA columnist for the LA Times. He could just as soon cover MMA for many other papers around the nation if he was that fed up with pro wrestling. He is well off and could just as easily take a normal sports writing gig than cover wrestling and make a decent living.

So what if he doesn't lick WWE's asshole. Good for him. He still bashes TNA and used to bash WCW with the best of them. About the only promotion he isn't as hard on as he could be is ROH and even last week's issue about their first PPV had some criticism about how ROH still has a lot of work to do to get over with anyone outside their fanbase.

As journalists, guys like Meltzer and Keller are probrably sick of the culture of the locker rooms and not pro wrestling itself and that is why they speak out so much.

That and the inordinate amount of death in wrestling.

upon further review i discovered i was wrong about Metzler about MMA, i have been humbled

I don't buy Dave Meltzer as this jaded guy covering wrestling because it pays the bills. The guy used to write for the Oakland Tribune and a couple papers in Texas covering legit sports. He has a degree in Journalism. If he was as jaded as some have made him out to be, why wouldn't he just end his misery and cover something else? He is already the MMA columnist for the LA Times. He could just as soon cover MMA for many other papers around the nation if he was that fed up with pro wrestling. He is well off and could just as easily take a normal sports writing gig than cover wrestling and make a decent living.

So what if he doesn't lick WWE's asshole. Good for him. He still bashes TNA and used to bash WCW with the best of them. About the only promotion he isn't as hard on as he could be is ROH and even last week's issue about their first PPV had some criticism about how ROH still has a lot of work to do to get over with anyone outside their fanbase.

As journalists, guys like Meltzer and Keller are probrably sick of the culture of the locker rooms and not pro wrestling itself and that is why they speak out so much.

That and the inordinate amount of death in wrestling.

But Meltzer, Alvarez and Keller are also salivating at WWE going before congress because they get to become 'expert analysts' that the media dig up for the scoop, not to mention, being viewed as credible journalists that can make a difference rather than those silly dirt sheet writers. I mean, don't think for one moment that WWE's ego and McMahon dismissing their existence and opinions all of these years doesn''t play into their coverage of this story. Those Zahorian trial years were probably their peak earnings. I just find it laughable that Alvarez and Meltzer will do these little soundbyte shows with hosts that don't give them any time to speak intelligently on the subject and put them on panels with Steve Blackman, Lanny Poffo, Marc Mero and Chyna. You can't tell me that they aren't there for any other reason but celebrity. Meltzer will plug Nancy Grace appearances on the Observer website - like it's a 60 Minutes piece - for what... so we can hear Bryan Alvarez say that Chris Benoit's testosterone level was high and WWE has some explaining to do until he's interrupted by some fat female Lou Albano impersonator who tells us that our kids are taking roids to look like their WWE heroes like Johnny Grunge.

I get reasoning like being sick of the culture and the amount of deaths but this story moving to Congress, investigations, etc. also mean subscriptions, 'special double issues', tv/radio appearances, package 'Benoit Murder' compilation issues, etc.

The only guys approaching this story sensible in my eyes are the pwinsider crew. They turn down tv appearances because they know they won't get a word in edge wise. Dave, Mike and Buck understand that WWE lawyers, doctors and contracted talent can't go on television and admit loopholes or improvements to be made - opening themselves up to wrongful death lawsuits and lord knows what else . They understand that the company has to be on the defensive because they are being attacked for an INDUSTRY problem and that regulating pro wrestling is like regulating Hollywood or the music business. Meltzer, keeps saying Vince needs to be like Dana White and welcome regulation, failing to realize that UFC should be regulated because it's a SPORT full of as many drugs, addictions and troubled personalities as pro wrestling.

well you never hear Metzler trash MMA, there's probably just as much of a problem of steroid and drug use within MMA as there is in Pro Wrestling, i know they are two different beasts, but look at who has tested positive this year, at least what i can remember off hand:

Royce Grace

Sean Sherk

Hermes Franca

Melvin Gulliard

Phil Baroni (i think)

these arent just undercard names these are major names in MMA, i dont mean to drag MMA or trying to say he should kiss Pro Wrestling's ass, but he shouldnt turn a blind eye to MMA's problem

Umm, the cover story of Monday's issue was about the MMA failures and how to deal with the problem in both MMA and wrestling.

Meltzer wrote a 4-5 page story on MMA's drug problem and how they should go about fixing it. Nate's pretty misinformed

And Vince should welcome regulation, especially with all the deaths and injuries cropping up.

Meltzer wrote a 4-5 page story on MMA's drug problem and how they should go about fixing it. Nate's pretty misinformed

And Vince should welcome regulation, especially with all the deaths and injuries cropping up.

Well then, I think congress should investigate and push for regulation of comedy entertainment. I mean, look at the number of deaths of talent affiliated with Lorne Michaels? SNL encouraged the drug problems of John Belushi, Chris Farley, Chevy Chase and Robert Downey Jr. I mean, Chevy Chase was hooked on pain pills because those damn writers kept writing him to fall down the steps on every episode! I wouldn't be surprised if SNL was somehow responsible for Gilda Radner's cancer or the Phil Hartman murder suicide. Dana Carvey's heart condition?

I'm sick and tired of my favorite comedians dying! Mitch Hedberg and Richard Jenni are the last straw! This business chews you up and spits you out. And we all know that fans respond to comedians more who are on drugs! They get the biggest laughs! YOU HAVE TO DO DRUGS TO BE FUNNY and get a push!

I don't care if comedy isn't a sport! Comedians need to be tested state to state by athletic commissions to ensure they are clean!

Meltzer wrote a 4-5 page story on MMA's drug problem and how they should go about fixing it.

He was also surprisingly complimentary towards WWE for someone who is meant to have this fierce anti-WWE bias. It was a very good piece, which I think a lot of people should read.

Well then, I think congress should investigate and push for regulation of comedy entertainment. I mean, look at the number of deaths of talent affiliated with Lorne Michaels? SNL encouraged the drug problems of John Belushi, Chris Farley, Chevy Chase and Robert Downey Jr. I mean, Chevy Chase was hooked on pain pills because those damn writers kept writing him to fall down the steps on every episode! I wouldn't be surprised if SNL was somehow responsible for Gilda Radner's cancer or the Phil Hartman murder suicide. Dana Carvey's heart condition?

I'm sick and tired of my favorite comedians dying! Mitch Hedberg and Richard Jenni are the last straw! This business chews you up and spits you out. And we all know that fans respond to comedians more who are on drugs! They get the biggest laughs! YOU HAVE TO DO DRUGS TO BE FUNNY and get a push!

I don't care if comedy isn't a sport! Comedians need to be tested state to state by athletic commissions to ensure they are clean!

Wow, Bob Ryder posts here? I hope you choke to death on Abyss's semen.

Re: Meltzer

Go read his 1986 WWF notes, then find that webpage that lists all the matches he gave ***+ to, especially in more modern times. You can't tell me that man didn't gave up being "embarassed" by the Fed long ago and just decided to dole out star ratings and accept the direction of the business. I agree there is too much MMA coverage I don't give a crap about in the Observer (and I really wish he had the time to do a seperate MMA Observer) but to say that he's jaded NOW is absurd.

Meltzer wrote a 4-5 page story on MMA's drug problem and how they should go about fixing it.

He was also surprisingly complimentary towards WWE for someone who is meant to have this fierce anti-WWE bias. It was a very good piece, which I think a lot of people should read.

It was a really good read. I've loved a lot of Meltzer's coverage throughout this whole Benoit ordeal. I also don't believe he has an anti-WWE bias but rather this story blowing up makes his life is a lot more interesting, his profile and readership higher. I don't necessarily think he wants to bring down Vince but he'd have the time of his life covering it while it happened. I also think for as intelligent as he is he seems to not look at things realistically. I think Dave Sherer, Mike Johnson and those guys do. You can't expect contracted talent or lawyers and doctors representing a company to go on televison and say "yeah we got problems, there is a lot that need fixed, there are loopholes in the testing, etc." when lawsuits could result.

It was a really good read. I've loved a lot of Meltzer's coverage throughout this whole Benoit ordeal. I also don't believe he has an anti-WWE bias but rather this story blowing up makes his life is a lot more interesting, his profile and readership higher. I don't necessarily think he wants to bring down Vince but he'd have the time of his life covering it while it happened.

Yes, I'm sure Meltzer LOVES IT when his friends & acquaintances die.

Re; Meltzer

Go read his 1986 WWF notes, then find that webpage that lists all the matches he gave ***+ to, especially in more modern times. You can't tell me that man gave up being "embarassed" by the Fed long ago and just decided to dole out star ratings. I agree there is too much MMA coverage I don't give a crap about in the Observer (and I really wish he had the time to do a seperate MMA Observer) but to say that he's jaded NOW is absurd.

I agree that there's too much MMA stuff. I read it anyway, but I agree that he should maybe start publishing a seperate MMA newsletter.

Wow, Bob Ryder posts here? I hope you choke to death on Abyss's semen.

I don't even know what the hell that is supposed to mean???????? Please clue me in? Did I say that Bret Hart would be leading the Invasion? Of course you couldn't be like... oh, good point, you raise some valid questions, because that would be a sensible response. Instead I think you called me a homosexual. By that regards, I hope Abyss anally rapes you while tripping on ecstasy and Petey Williams and Bobby Roode make you take whatever bad steroids they take so you lose your hair and get back acne. Touche.

It's not a sport therefore it sets a dangerous pattern to have it be regulated. It would be like what I just described above or a film company or music label being forced to have their peformers tested state to state. It makes no sense. UFC and MMA being regulated does make sense and of course they would be for regulation. I can understand people disagreeing with what I'm saying but it's pretty black and white to me. Sport vs. not a sport.

It was a really good read. I've loved a lot of Meltzer's coverage throughout this whole Benoit ordeal. I also don't believe he has an anti-WWE bias but rather this story blowing up makes his life is a lot more interesting, his profile and readership higher. I don't necessarily think he wants to bring down Vince but he'd have the time of his life covering it while it happened.

He certainly LOVES to profit from it.

In case you missed every other update on the front page of his website:

Get the book on the Benoit murders, all the Observer's coverage from the start e-mailed can be e-mailed to you today with much info still not in the mainstream media.

As does Vince McMahon I'm sure.

Points kind of get lost on you, don't they? Where did I even suggest that Meltzer loved having friends and acquaintances die? It's not like he makes money with tribute newsletters and career retrospectives. Oh wait. Bad point. I would also have to wonder how many of these dead wrestlers that Dave Meltzer knew personally? Maybe he can hand write a list the next time he or Alvarez are on Nancy Grace?

As does Vince McMahon I'm sure.

Points kind of get lost on you, don't they? Where did I even suggest that Meltzer loved having friends and acquaintances die? It's not like he makes money with tribute newsletters and career retrospectives. Oh wait. Bad point. I would also have to wonder how many of these dead wrestlers that Dave Meltzer knew personally? Maybe he can hand write a list the next time he or Alvarez are on Nancy Grace?

I also like the way he and Alvarez take every opportunity to bash Nancy Grace's coverage of the situation, yet they jump at every opportunity to be featured on her show.

I also like the way he and Alvarez take every opportunity to bash Nancy Grace's coverage of the situation, yet they jump at every opportunity to be featured on her show.

You should listen to them once in a while. They've praised Nancy Grace a fair bit recently, over the improvements she's made in her understanding of the whole mess.

He seemed pretty favourable about it recently. When discussing things like the Kennedy rant, he noted that people were focusing too much on Nancy's first bad night and not how knowledgeable someone with no knowledge at all became in such a short time.

Though his most recent mention of her, his tone seemed a bit aggrivated (noting Alverez had been bumped 4 times already).

Meltz bashed her coverage for the first few days, but in the WON has said she's gotten a lot better. I don't really agree with that, but there you go.

Bob Ryder compared the death rates of SNL and wrestling. 7 of SNL's 117 cast members/featured players have died in 32 years. 2 from drugs, 1 was murdered, 1 cerebral hemorrhage possibly tied to a history of migraines, 1 committed suicide, and 2 died from cancer. It's a bullshit argument.

Meltzer is a reporter who gets close to some of the subjects on his beat. He's proud of the work he does, and also hates it when people get details that he put out wrong. Of course he should promote the newsletter.

At the very least, Meltzer was close to Pillman, Candido, and Guerrero.

You should listen to them once in a while. They've praised Nancy Grace a fair bit recently, over the improvements she's made in her understanding of the whole mess.

Yeah, I've heard them do that but haven't the slightest idea what the hell they are referring to. She still has facts wrong, comes off like an idiot (ie "Like you can die from sleep apnea") and the show is a trainwreck. Maybe they are complimentary because they are on her producer's call list? Or they are just concerned, along with other expert analysts like Chyna, about being bumped all last week.

Yeah, I've heard them do that but haven't the slightest idea what the hell they are referring to. She still has facts wrong, comes off like an idiot (ie "Like you can die from sleep apnea") and the show is a trainwreck. Maybe they are complimentary because they are on her producer's call list? Or they are just concerned, along with other expert analysts like Chyna, about being bumped all last week.

That's it.

I heard the July 15th show and they still bashed Nancy Grace and her coverage. When you consider that she hasn't had a show about the Benoit situation since around that time, there isn't alot there to change their opinion. I just think they realized that if any new details were released, Nancy Grace would offer another opportunity for publicity. You never saw Wrestling Observer Live mentioned on national television before the Benoit incident and you probably won't hear it mentioned on national television anymore after this ordeal is put to rest.

Bob Ryder compared the death rates of SNL and wrestling. 7 of SNL's 117 cast members/featured players have died in 32 years. 2 from drugs, 1 was murdered, 1 cerebral hemorrhage possibly tied to a history of migraines, 1 committed suicide, and 2 died from cancer. It's a bullshit argument.

Meltzer is a reporter who gets close to some of the subjects on his beat. He's proud of the work he does, and also hates it when people get details that he put out wrong. Of course he should promote the newsletter.

Are you serious??? Wow, Ryder's a fuckhead.

Bob Ryder compared the death rates of SNL and wrestling. 7 of SNL's 117 cast members/featured players have died in 32 years. 2 from drugs, 1 was murdered, 1 cerebral hemorrhage possibly tied to a history of migraines, and 3 from cancer. It's a bullshit argument.

Okay, well I haven't read anything from Bob Ryder since probably 2005, whenever the other guys left 1wrestling.com. So my post wasn't as original as I thought but why is it a bullshit argument? Because it makes comparing the responsibility of Lorne Michales to Vince Mcmahon sound ridiculous? Lorne Michaels' creative peak was built around people on drugs. Like much of Hollywood and music. WWF/E's peak was built around steroids. Both were encouraged to a degree but not forced. Some people's habits spiraled away from their 'job' into their personal lives and people died. Not always related to drug abuse but they are dead. I actually think the lifestyles of a comedian, rock star and entertainers are more comparable to that of a professional wrestling than legitimate athletics and sports. Comedians and rock stars specifically are on the road nightly and probably feel the need to abuse something to perform. Just like the wrestler taking pain pills to wrestler, steroids to be stronger and look good and whatever else.

And I'm sure Meltzer was close to some talent and upset that they died. I don't even know wrestlers and their deaths have sometimes impacted me like a friend or idol. You get close by watching someone week in and week out alone. But call a spade a spade and admit that Meltzer, while having every right to journalistically write about important subjects and charge people to read them, also profits from bad things happening to the business. It doesn't mean he wants them to happen but it's not like the Benoit details or the Tributes are posted online for free either.

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter has been mentioned on TV countless times, though.

yes, countless times, like those episodes of Donahue and Larry King circa 1993 - that's at least um... TWICE!

1. Name another industry where your superiors make fun of you publicly for getting off drugs.

2. So basically, every journalist is a bad person because they make money reporting on bad things?

3. 2.56% of SNL performers died from drugs or suicide. Someone else dig up the Wrestlemania percentage, I can't it's a hell of a lot higher.

4. The stupidity of most of you is nauseating.

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter has been mentioned on TV countless times, though.

yes, countless times, like those episodes of Donahue and Larry King circa 1993 - that's at least um... TWICE!

And all of the times he's been interviewed since during every story that's hit the mainstream, you fucking idiot. He's media's go-to guy for wrestling.