TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Human Fly

Chris Benoit Dead - Toxicology results released

Guest shoryuken007

BENOIT SHOULDA CHECKED HIMSELF 'FORE HE WRECKED HIMSELF! Diving headbutts are easy, man. Everyone knows it's the safest move in wrestling.

A few minutes ago, Anderson Cooper 360 had a short segment about the story. Dr. Sanjay Gupta (a neurosurgeon who is CNN's chief medical correspondent) briefly went over the case and for the most part repeated what we already learned (and added credence to SLI's findings), but added that there is also a condition known as "steroid encephalopathy" and Benoit showed no signs of it.

Did they say what the symptoms/effects of the condition are?

You honestly fail to see how hitting someone's shoulder with your head and hitting a chair with your head are similar in velocity?

I'm saying that if there was actual substantial impact with the majority, or even say 1 in 10, of his diving headbutts, then he wasn't as good a worker as well all thought he was. He should have fucking protected himself.

...ugh, you try doing it and see if you can protect yourself 100% each and every time, moron.

Well maybe if I couldn't protect myself and do the move safely, I would stop doing the move. I just saying we shouldn't feel sympathy for Benoit if this condition was caused mainly by his diving headbutt move, because he must have known if it was giving him concussions every other week (And seeing as he spent a large amount of time in either NJPW, WCW or the WWE, there would have been doctors present telling him he's concussed). If it was causing him that much damage, he should have done the sensible thing and took it out of his moveset.

Benoit lived and breathed wrestling - one of his signature moves was a high risk flying headbutt - fans mark out for this move - in turn it makes him more over - the more over you are the longer you last (and get paid) in wrestling - so doing the move was obviously justifyable to him.

And just for the record he did protect himself a lot of the times I've seen the move. He'd put his arms down and land on them before the head hit his opponent.. obviously, though, his head has to connect to make the move look "real" but even that had to have some kind of effect on him. I for one was surprised that he kept (or was allowed to) doing the move after his neck surgery.

Again, going back to the Diving Headbutt. Watch some of his matches, and him even going to the top rope and teasing the headbutt got just as loud, if not a louder pop than when he would slap-on the Crossface. The move was over, and convincing, thus he continued to use it. It's just a shame it had more of an impact on his body than anyone could've imagined.

Benoit lived and breathed wrestling - one of his signature moves was a high risk flying headbutt - fans mark out for this move - in turn it makes him more over - the more over you are the longer you last (and get paid) in wrestling - so doing the move was obviously justifyable to him.

And just for the record he did protect himself a lot of the times I've seen the move. He'd put his arms down and land on them before the head hit his opponent.. obviously, though, his head has to connect to make the move look "real" but even that had to have some kind of effect on him. I for one was surprised that he kept (or was allowed to) doing the move after his neck surgery.

I pretty much cringed everytime I saw him do that after his surgery.

With all this talk about it, I wonder if the WWE is going to ban the diving headbutt.

Let's not attach all the brain damage to the head-BUTT itself, the guy took over a hundred shots to the head with a chair and other objects, regularly hit countless suplex moves and took them as well with power bombs to the head not to mention just the basic stuff that still causes damage. We know Bret Hart and Nowinski suffered career ending concussions just from a kick to the face.

Last night during the CNN feature I was struck by how hard he hit the back of his head while giving German suplexes.

Yep, he'd do 3 or more per match quite often and he often seemed to take all the pain instead of the other guy.

With all this talk about it, I wonder if the WWE is going to ban the diving headbutt.

They probably will for the time being to avoid any blacklash. But that's why I hope that the medias focus doesn't stay on the headbutt. I was glad that Michael Benoit brought up the chairshots. THAT shit needs to stop. At least the shots to the head, anyway.

And even if you get rid of all blows to the head and everyone takes perfect care of each other to make sure nobody lands wrong and hits their head, there's still a risk of concussions, as wrestlers have gotten them from taking flat back bumps where they never hit their heads, but the shock snapped their heads enough to cause a concussion.

At the very least, they need routine brain scans to be done regularly and Dr. Rios (or hire a neurologist) to check motor functions & such after each match.

Didn't Dynamite warn Benoit a long time ago about how badly the diving headbutt could mess him up?

Dynamite and Race each told Benoit to stop it but Benoit needed that pop.

What a completely typical response (ie: immediately dismissive) from WWE in the second part. I wonder how long til they drop Nowinski from their "Smackdown your vote" campaign...

WWE doesn't want to make itself vulnerable to a lawsuit over the concussion issue.

Wrestling consist of alot of moving very fast and stopping abruptly. A body slam could give you a concussion. I am sure the numerous chairshots didn't help at all, but this does add more thought to wrestling needing a offseason or at least lessoning the workload on some guys.

Honestly, for years I have been expecting Mick Foley to do something pretty bad to his family because I know his brain is mush. I know its a fucked up thing to say, but what that many concussions will do your brain is horrible.

That's why I think the chemicals did more damage, seeing as Foley has mentioned how he barely drinks, and keeps away from most substances. Reading his books and hearing how he was disappointed in himself after taking one pain pill to get through a day with his kids shows how little damage he's done to his body in the way of meds.

Yet he's done exceedingly enormous amounts of damage to his body from bumps, the back of his 1st book from 1999 says he's had 8 confirmed concussions, and that was before the I Quit match, the series with Triple H, and the hardcore matches in 2006. So that's why I think the pills must have messed up Benoit more than the matches.

Foley has also gotten lost driving home from time to time. His brain is pretty fucked.

i do agree that he probably isn't as violently insane as Benoit became because Benoit was on some other stuff, but I wouldn't bet against depression and irrational paranoia being present in Foleys life.

I'd hope with Foley not having worked a full time career for a while now, he may have had a chance to recover at least a little rather than still taking bumps every week like Benoit.

I wonder what the chances are of WWE banning or at least severely limiting the use of chair shots to the head. I have a worrying suspicision that the first guy to refuse to take one will be jobbed out till he falls in line.

I'd hope with Foley not having worked a full time career for a while now, he may have had a chance to recover at least a little rather than still taking bumps every week like Benoit.

I wonder what the chances are of WWE banning or at least severely limiting the use of chair shots to the head. I have a worrying suspicision that the first guy to refuse to take one will be jobbed out till he falls in line.

Looking at the HHH vs Carlito and Umaga handicap match from RAW this week, looks like chairshots to the head are on a case-to-case basis, or may be done for 'injury' purposes. HHH hit Carlito in the stomach with the edge of the chair, then across the back. Then, he hit Umaga in the chest with the seat and backrest of the chair, then proceeded to pound the holy hell out of his head about 3 times with the chair.

Well, that's the whole point, they're not making people protect themselves, and you have idiots like RVD who treat unprotected chairshots as "his way of respecting the business" (that is a real quote).

I ask that too, why the hell did he continue using it. I swear I remember reading somewhere in 2002 when he came back he would no longer do it. And if he did, it would be a special occasion, but the more he did, oh man, it did sit right.

I don't think you can "recover" from that kind of brain damage though, can you?

I wonder if for the good of the business as a whole, you think Foley would volunteer to get his brain examined?

Remember, the brain is very complex, and as far as I know, the effects of brain damage can have a different effect on each person. You'd be better off asking a doctor for a more educated guess.

Stress, drug abuse, and head trauma are a dangerous combination. According to the Superstars interviewed on Larry King, Benoit seemed to be a bit withdrawn and apparently could have been bottling up any anxiety he felt.

This does not excuse his actions, but helps to show that maybe he was not simply a monster, but rather someone that suffered from a medical problem and when untreated, it resulted in one of the worst possible scenarios.

Well, that's the whole point, they're not making people protect themselves, and you have idiots like RVD who treat unprotected chairshots as "his way of respecting the business" (that is a real quote).

At the same time, maybe guys shouldn't be swinging for the fences, which is something that you could never accuse RVD of doing.

Kinda makes you appreciate Lance Storm and his pussy ass chair shots. I always wondered why anyone would make him do a chairshot when he was so clearly uncomfortable with giving one.