TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Human Fly

Chris Benoit Dead - Toxicology results released

While Benoit is not listed on wwe.com's Royal Rumble Winners page (it skips straight from 2003 to 2005), he is listed on the Rumble Facts and Figures page as having spent the second-most time in a Rumble behind Mysterio. I found that interesting.

Also, they do have some pics of him in the Rumble 2004 section. I can agree with what they are doing here by keeping his accomplishments in tact, but not bringing any major attention to them.

Kinda of creepy. I'm listening to my usual power metal station on Pandora radio, and they started playing a live version of Benoit's Our Lady Peace theme. It's probably the first time I've heard it since his suicide. Kind of depressing in a way.

A new documentary showing on CBC says Benoit's brain was so badly damaged from concussions it resembled that of an 85 year old man with dementia.

Yahoo News

I was just gonna post this; It's to be on The Fifth Estate tomorrow evening.

A new documentary showing on CBC says Benoit's brain was so badly damaged from concussions it resembled that of an 85 year old man with dementia.

Yahoo News

That's old, old news. Vince McMahon was asked about it in his CNN interview. He said that the claim was ridiculous because an 85 year old man with dementia would have never been able to do Benoit's job for as long as he did before he snapped.

So, what are people's thoughts on the potential lawsuit by the Benoit family against WWE? Is Michael Benoit right when he says Vince should have taken more responsibility for Chris?

Personally, I'm more tempted to say that WWE aren't responsible for what happened and don't owe the Benoit's a cent . He was behaving normally, (only his close freinds knew something was amiss and I assume they didn't tell Vince), and they did give him time off when he asked, with pay, which showed they cared about his well being.

I think it was Alvarez who said 'they could have done more' which is true, but don't know if I would blame them fully for what happened.

It would be nice of Vince to support Benoit's remaining kids like he helped take care of Eddie's daughters.

I can't see them getting anything out of Vince besides a small settlement that they will probably just pay out rather then spending the time and money on the legal fees. That said, I really don't see Vince or the WWE as the ones to blame here. Chris made the decision night in and night out to go out there and take those bumps, do all of those flying headbutts, and take all those chair shots. Chris knew what he was getting into from day one.

It would be nice of Vince to support Benoit's remaining kids like he helped take care of Eddie's daughters.

The kids already have the money from the estate (upwards of $1 million). They won't go hunrgy.

I can't see them getting anything out of Vince besides a small settlement that they will probably just pay out rather then spending the time and money on the legal fees.

No way is Vince going to settle. Michael benoit said he would take a $2 million settlement and they told him where to go. If Vince is adament WWE didn't have anything to do with what happened, which he apparently is, WWE will fight this out to the bitter end.

I can't see them getting anything out of Vince besides a small settlement that they will probably just pay out rather then spending the time and money on the legal fees. That said, I really don't see Vince or the WWE as the ones to blame here. Chris made the decision night in and night out to go out there and take those bumps, do all of those flying headbutts, and take all those chair shots. Chris knew what he was getting into from day one.

It was also Owen's choice to jump from the rafters with the faulty wires too right? "PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!!??!!" applies to everyone but Vince I guess.

From a legal standpoint, it would take an extraordinary feat to find WWE culpable in all this. I think they would need to find that Benoit had a mental condition that WWE willfully neglected. Simply employing a person in a dangerous occupation does not make them responsible.

Benoit was legitimately knocked unconscious by an HHH chairshot (as was Jack Doan) at the 12/6/04 Raw in Charlotte and then couldn't stand up on his own for several minutes after regaining consciousness. In spite of this, WWE claims they have no records of Benoit suffering a concussion while working for them, which means he either wasn't checked after regaining consciousness or he was and it was ignored.

That might be a moot point if Benoit never requested an examination. I could be wrong on this, but generally it is your responsibility to inform your employer about your injury. I don't know if WWE would be obligated to aggressively pursue the issue.

Beyond that, a lawyer would then need to prove that the concussion led to Benoit's actions. That would be very difficult to prove in a court of law.

That might be a moot point if Benoit never requested an examination. I could be wrong on this, but generally it is your responsibility to inform your employer about your injury. I don't know if WWE would be obligated to aggressively pursue the issue.

Beyond that, a lawyer would then need to prove that the concussion led to Benoit's actions. That would be very difficult to prove in a court of law.

I'm pretty sure that the onus is not on the dude who suffered a BRAIN INJURY to request the examination.

It's up to him to tell people he's hurt.

And being knocked out doesn't mean you have a concussion. I've been knocked unconscience twice and I've never had a concussion.

It's still negligent not to check.

I'm pretty sure that the onus is not on the dude who suffered a BRAIN INJURY to request the examination.

It may well be, I'm not crystal clear on the law though.

And then Michael Benoit would need to explain how Benoit worked, negotiated contracts, etc. for the next three years without showing side effects. How he never lost reality and deliberately injured another wrestler, yet was too damaged not to recognize that killing his wife and child was wrong.

I mean honestly, if we were discussing this in Current Events and did not know the murderer, all the discussion would revolve around lawsuit abuse.

As has been mentioned, the reason I don't buy the 'his brain was mush' is that he clearly was somewhat rational that weekend. For all the talk of insanity, he was together enough to lie to WWE staff, Chavo, the neighbour and even send text messages to ensure someone would find the bodies. And, you know, he killed himself. He knew what he'd done and what the consequences would be (life in jail)

So, if he knew what he'd done, that is was wrong, covered it up long enough to do himself in, and said goodbye in his own way (he told Chave he loved him on Saturday night), how brain damaged was he? That to me sounds like a guy who was pretty aware of his actions.

He knew what he'd done and what the consequences would be (life in jail)

So, if he knew what he'd done, that is was wrong, covered it up long enough to do himself in, and said goodbye in his own way (he told Chave he loved him on Saturday night), how brain damaged was he? That to me sounds like a guy who was pretty aware of his actions.

How do you know he killed himself for that reason rather than his paranoid dementia?

He knew what he'd done and what the consequences would be (life in jail)

How do you know he killed himself for that reason rather than his paranoid dementia?

I think he was aware enough at the end of his life to know what he had done was very bad and that he faced a long sentence. That was why he made up the excuse about food poisining- to buy himself time. Covering up the crime, albeit for a couple of days, proves he was rational and not completely out of his mind.

The kids already have the money from the estate (upwards of $1 million). They won't go hunrgy.

Good point.