TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
At Home

Go skateboarding day

So I'm not exactly one for the chain letter type and this has been going around the webbernet, but I don't like cops... at all. Basically, the jist of the whole thing is a couple of kids got together for "Go Skateboarding Day" and just went skating in a small Arkansas town. An officer named Joey Williams proceeded to arrest the lion's share of the participants (teenagers) and just generally be a dick.

Guest Smues

Damn someone beat me to moving this to General Chat. That was wierd.

Anyway having been subjected to a skatepark and the people that dwell within, I say go cops go!

Anyway having been subjected to a skatepark and the people that dwell within, I say go cops go!

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Yeah, I didn't skateboard when I was a teenager (mostly due to lack of balance or coordination), but I hung out with people that did and I thought we were cool, but, now that I'm 24, when I see those skater punks, I just wanna tell them to pull up their pants and whack them about with an oatmeal spoon. I guess that's what growing up is all about...whacking people with oatmeal spoons.

Guest The Minor Threat
Colorado

Arkansas*

I e-mailed mister chief man. 'Cause I'm punk like that. Oi oi.

Those kids had it coming. Fuck 'em. They were being punks and causing a nuisance by skateboarding where they shouldn't have been. Of course, the cop gets crucified in the court of public opinion by a 30 second youtube clip, though.

He does have the Lone Gunmen in his avatar.

Fuck these kids, the cops should kick all their asses for being retards. They're walking around like they know fucking everything. If the cops didn't show up they probably would be disapointed that they had nothing to film and put on youtube.

I'm perplexed as to why you guys believe that these kids were in any way threatening. The cop was holding a thirteen your old kid on the ground by his fucking throat! Even despite the fact they were trying to reason with him in a calm and rational manner. This kind of police brutality is in no way justifiable and I hope legal action is taken against this cop.

My only question is what exactly started it. I mean, if they're not supposed to be there, the cop should go over there and say "hey, get the hell our of there." and then the kids leave. What the hell else could happen? I mean, unless a kid said "hey, go fuck yourself" or something, there really shouldn't have been any conflict. both sides are totally at fault, cause a) this kids had to be retarded to start a conflict and b) the cop must have been retarded to allow a situation for the kids to start a conflict.

Not sure if that made sense.

Guest The Minor Threat
My only question is what exactly started it. I mean, if they're not supposed to be there, the cop should go over there and say "hey, get the hell our of there." and then the kids leave. What the hell else could happen? I mean, unless a kid said "hey, go fuck yourself" or something, there really shouldn't have been any conflict. both sides are totally at fault, cause a) this kids had to be retarded to start a conflict and b) the cop must have been retarded to allow a situation for the kids to start a conflict.

Not sure if that made sense.

I think you can hear in the video the officer state that he told the kids to stop, and then the first choking victim told them to keep going. The kids probably deserve a citation for whatever ordinance they broke by skateboarding, and maybe the kid deserves a warning for disobeying an officer's order, but they also deserved to hear their Miranda rights. Which Williams neglected to read them because he was too busy chasing a thirteen-year-old boy who had a picture of him choking another thirteen-year-old boy. And of course their was the part where he choked the thirteen-year-old girl. Absolutely horrible.

K, honest question: If a cop tells a girl (any girl) to sit down, with just cause, as there was a lot of shit going on, and she refuses and walks away, and he then insists that she come sit down because she's now under arrest, and she again refuses, what's he supposed to do? Just say "okay", and walk away? I mean, I'm not directly advocating choking 13-year-olds for kicks, but if a cop tells someone to do something, and they don't do it, he has to do *something* about it. If cops just let people flagrantly disobey them, then what would be the *point* of having cops?

And these kids knew damn full well they weren't supposed to be skateboarding there. They were trying to start shit, and it worked.

Guest The Minor Threat

How about take them by the wrist, cuff them, and have that be the end of it? There's a fine line between that, which I would have fully accepted, and choking them out, tackling them to the ground, cuffing them, and then threatening to mace them if they moved any.

The cop was too aggressive and overreacted. And the kids were being fucking retards and needlessly rebellious. Slap 'em all with a dead fish rolled in newspaper, says I.

I've never understood how cops can arrest someone for just "resisting arrest". Kinda oxymoronic. And I've never understood why punk kids insist on riding their damn skateboards where they know they're not allowed to. Completely moronic.

Guest Vitamin X

To be fair, the cop was using excessive force. If you want really good examples of skaters being assholes, look at some of the related videos. It tends to go back and forth.

I have a difficult time giving "rights" to skaters, since skateboarding is not really a viable form of transportation. Get bikes, kids. You'll be cooler.

To be fair, the cop was using excessive force. If you want really good examples of skaters being assholes, look at some of the related videos. It tends to go back and forth.

I have a difficult time giving "rights" to skaters, since skateboarding is not really a viable form of transportation. Get bikes, kids. You'll be cooler.

You have a difficult time giving "rights" to skaters? Wow. Where do they fit in the pecking order of humans?

Guest Vitamin X

Somewhere between faux rastafarians and homeless people.

In all seriousness, what I meant by that was that you don't have a legal right to use a skateboard on a public roadway or on private property, which many skateboarders use, and then try to cite fallible logic to plead their case when someone is trying to get them to stop ("What! WE'RE JUST RIDING A PIECE OF WOOD DOWN A STREET!"). I absolutely loathe the so-called skater punks trying to rebel for rebellion's sake, however, as a police officer, he has no reason to use such threatening, physical force, especially when he isn't being physically threatened or even disrespected any more than he would with any other child of that age. They were what, 13, 14 years old? You have to expect some kind of uppity behavior from a kid that age, especially in groups.

I'm sure there were far more reasonable ways of handling that.

I nearly ran a skateboarder down with my car yesterday because he thought it would be fun to skate just outside the freaking turn lane down the middle of main street. Granted I don't live in the biggest city in the world, but there is traffic at 5 o'clock on the road that has all the businesses on it. I had to slow down to 5 miles an hour because he was drifting in and out of the traffic to the turn lane. I honked at him and he flipped me off, then I smiled as I saw a cop up ahead. So I just waved and pointed at the cop, and smiled. If there's one good thing about my town, is that cops love driving around and nailing people for traffic violations. I made a left hand turn as the cops lights started going.

I guess cops are sometimes around when you need them.

Guest Vitamin X

I doubt Dobbs there would even have the proper balance to stay on a skateboard, let alone ride one.

I don't have a deck, I have a patio. And I drive a car to work like normal people.

I think you all missed my joke:

"I nearly ran a skateboarder down with my car"

"Well, everyone makes mistakes."

I'll be here all week folks!