TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

WWE General Discussion for July 2007

What are peoples views on Johnny Nitro?

I think Johnny Nitro is mic skills away from being a mega star. Too bad Paul Heyman is not around any more to work with him. There are dollars to be made with Nitro.

Nitro also needs a better gimmick. This "Hollywood A-lister" crap just smacks of midcardiness.

Amen to that. He's a decent worker and many have said he deserves a push but man his gimmick simply sucks and is about as boring as it can get.

The gimmick was fine, especially in light of how much attention/play in the mainstream media "stars" like Paris Hilton/Lohan/Spears get. Ahving a "cocky" wrestler has always been gold for a heel. The gimmick fizzled when A) he was depushed (sec. to Melina's backstage issues?) B) His was separated from his posse (Mercury b/c drugs and Melina). Obviously he needs improvment on the mike, but I enjoy his offense which is often unique, at least in the WWE. Heavyweight champ may be a little too much too fast, but he was really good as IC champ until he was made a whipping boy for a returning bloated Jeff Hardy.

I've liked Jeff Hardy's work since he's returned. Bloated Jeff blotches moves/spots alot less. Jeff and Matt deserve bigger singles pushes.

For whatever reason, the public absolutely loves Jeff Hardy. I remember that ladder match with the undertaker on raw a number of years ago and it was a fantastic match and even had me rooting for him. The crowd would go ballistic i think if he ever did win the world title. Of course since he doesn't fit Mcmahons idea for what a top star should look like, he probably won't ever get near it...no matter how popular he is.

With the exception of the TLC matches, I think the Hardy/UT Ladder Match for the Undisputed Title is Jeff's best match. That match was a classic, and I wish I had it on tape.

Yeah, I figured it was for one of those backstage segments where a bunch of old-timers showed up for no reason, most likely the Cryme Tyme segment at Mania.

It might be from TEW 2007.

It is.

True story. Years ago when Finlay first came to WCW, everyone was terrified of him because they'd heard of his reputation as a tough guy, and that he worked really stiff. Shortly after he arrived, he was booked in a match with Flair. Flair showed up, saw the match on the board, and erased it.

F4W

Source: Wrestling Observer

Today's Baltimore Sun has a lengthy interview up with Chris Jericho. Jericho says he is returning to wrestling and will be returning to a full time schedule. He didn't mention whether it will be TNA or WWE.

He did say he's happy when TNA mentions his name on their broadcasts. Jericho also spoke on doing his comedy, a play in Toronto and writing his new book.

I just read that full interview here.

This was a good read and makes me wish he'll return soon. He talks about his upcoming book and how he had to do some rewrites now because of Chris Beniot.

Remember in the mid-90's the year-long trend of Internet Fans was to complain (and rightfully, I suppose) because the athletic, quick, smaller guys like Benoit, Rey, and Eddie were being "held down"?

Bigger wrestlers who had been main eventers contended that guys like Eddie, Benoit, and Rey couldn't make it on top.

And the reaction was "WHAT? They're SO much better than old geezers like Hogan, Savage, etc."

The old geezers wound up being right.

Bigger wrestlers who had been main eventers contended that guys like Eddie, Benoit, and Rey couldn't make it on top.

Except the 'old geezers' based their belief on the fact the Eddie and company were 'too small', which had nothing to do with why those three, at least, didn't 'make it'. With Eddie, WWE were happy with his performance but he couldn't take handle the pressure at that time in his life. Jericho was never given a chance to 'make it'; he was only ever given the Unified title so he could lose it to HHH. Rey was mishandled from day one of his 'run at the top', and was always going to be, because of the size bias in WWE, regardless of how well he kept getting over with the fans.

Yes, those three didn't 'make it', but in the case of Jericho and Rey, WWE were never going to allow them to because it either didn't fit their plans or because of size bias. Had Jericho and Rey actually been given the ball and not been handled the way they were, we might have found out for sure if they had had what it takes to be accepted on top by the fans.

Random old school guest appearence of the week; friggin Mike McGuirk guest ring announced at a RAW house show in Texas recently.

How random is that?

Consider that given her roots she probably resides somewhere in the vicinity of Oklahoma.

Except the 'old geezers' based their belief on the fact the Eddie and company were 'too small', which had nothing to do with why those three, at least, didn't 'make it'. With Eddie, WWE were happy with his performance but he couldn't take handle the pressure at that time in his life. Jericho was never given a chance to 'make it'; he was only ever given the Unified title so he could lose it to HHH. Rey was mishandled from day one of his 'run at the top', and was always going to be, because of the size bias in WWE, regardless of how well he kept getting over with the fans.

Yes, those three didn't 'make it', but in the case of Jericho and Rey, WWE were never going to allow them to because it either didn't fit their plans or because of size bias. Had Jericho and Rey actually been given the ball and not been handled the way they were, we might have found out for sure if they had had what it takes to be accepted on top by the fans.

One thing that I can't help but note is that it was only severe amounts of steroids that allowed Eddy, Benoit and Mysterio to grow to the size needed to be credible main event wrestlers. I think Jericho's an exception but his extended layoff is going to be taken as a sign that he doesn't exhibit the necessary passion for the wrestling industry. Rey Mysterio honestly I feel IS to small naturally to main-event. I'm going to get flamed for that I'm sure. Watching Eddy/Rey from Halloween Havoc '97 though, it looks like Mysterio isn't heavy enough to realistically keep Eddy's shoulders to the mat without a KO. In the same way no one would buy Oscar De La Hoya beating Mike Tyson (not the greatest, but I needed a name heavyweight), size does matter to a limited extent in a wrestling ring. That's not to say you can't sell Mysterio. You can put him in big programs and make a ton of money. I just don't think you can credibly continuously book him against your 6'4" heavyweights on an extended basis.

One thing that I can't help but note is that it was only severe amounts of steroids that allowed Eddy, Benoit and Mysterio to grow to the size needed to be credible main event wrestlers. I think Jericho's an exception but his extended layoff is going to be taken as a sign that he doesn't exhibit the necessary passion for the wrestling industry. Rey Mysterio honestly I feel IS to small naturally to main-event. I'm going to get flamed for that I'm sure. Watching Eddy/Rey from Halloween Havoc '97 though, it looks like Mysterio isn't heavy enough to realistically keep Eddy's shoulders to the mat without a KO. In the same way no one would buy Oscar De La Hoya beating Mike Tyson (not the greatest, but I needed a name heavyweight), size does matter to a limited extent in a wrestling ring. That's not to say you can't sell Mysterio. You can put him in big programs and make a ton of money. I just don't think you can credibly continuously book him against your 6'4" heavyweights on an extended basis.

I think the problem they run into with Mysterio is that if the book him on size alone then he is stuck in the cruiser division and that is never going to be a focal point of WWE programming. Based on his overness and the demographic he draws they have to book him at the top.

They need to get an new belt for ECW. Maybe if the title looked like a world title and not like something made in a basement it would be taken a bit more seriously. The title belt looked best when Terry Funk won it at Barely Legal.

One thing that I can't help but note is that it was only severe amounts of steroids that allowed Eddy, Benoit and Mysterio to grow to the size needed to be credible main event wrestlers. I think Jericho's an exception

Ever see Jericho's arms up close? Take a good look at those biceps. They were awfully thick for such a (relatively) little guy.

Personally, I have no problem whatsoever with small guys beating big guys. ANYTHING can make sense and get over if it's just booked and presented properly. For the people who bitch that it's unrealistic, well, did you ever see the first few UFC shows, with Royce Gracie consistently kicking the ass of every opponent he faced, many much larger than himself?

Yeah, the thing that always bugged me about Rey's title reign was that is wasn't presented properly. He needn't a big adjustment of his 'moveset' or I guess just his wrestling style, to be believable against the bigger opponents. There's no reason why someone Rey's size couldn't be a believable headliner. But everytime he'd hit that shitty Seated Senton, I'd just groan and long for the day he finally dropped the belt.

Rey's reign also came at a bad time where Orton was suspended, Angle was taking time off, and JBL's back was falling apart, leading to him wrestling big guys like Khali, Henry, and Kane and looked terrible doing so, especially as he was booked to lose cleanly.

It wasn't until his two-three week run with the King where he actually looked most credible, was booked as fighting back against the Court, and presented as being able to beat Booker one-on-one.

"Except the 'old geezers' based their belief on the fact the Eddie and company were 'too small', which had nothing to do with why those three, at least, didn't 'make it'."

They were too small.

They all took steroids.

Their bodies/minds couldn't deal with the 'roids. Small guys don't make it. Benoit, Eddie, and Rey were too small. They tried to get bigger, they did, and their bodies couldn't handle it.

So I'd say it was ALL about size.

Give Masters and co. all the shit you want, but Eddie and Rey easily used a ton more juice than he did in their careers. Look at Eddie from '94 to Eddie '04. It's sick. And Rey went from looking like your little nephew to looking like a short jacked-up boxer.

It would have helped had the people in charge not had a size bias, but as far as the fans were concerned, they weren't too small. In that, aspect, yes, their size worked against them, but as far as getting over with the fans, it didn't. Which kind of puts a hole in the belief their size would prevent them from getting over,

"There's no reason why someone Rey's size couldn't be a believable headliner."

With all due respect to Mysterio's legacy, there were teenage fans in the crowd who could, in a legitimate fight, kick his ass. Thus, I don't see how he came off as anything more than a comical, ending sooner than later title reign.

NEW MATCH ADDED TO GREAT AMERICAN BASH

Add Dusty Rhodes vs. Randy Orton to the Great American Bash on 7/22 in San Jose, CA.

Random old school guest appearence of the week; friggin Mike McGuirk guest ring announced at a RAW house show in Texas recently.

How random is that?

I remember her from watching Superstars episodes in '93.

Guest shoryuken007

With all due respect to Mysterio's legacy, there were teenage fans in the crowd who could, in a legitimate fight, kick his ass. Thus, I don't see how he came off as anything more than a comical, ending sooner than later title reign.

Really? A world-class trained athlete? Hmm.

Really? A world-class trained athlete? Hmm.

you're new here so let me help you out a bit...UTSU there, he says many many stupid things...that's just one of the many.

Well, considering the state of Rey's knees, all anyone would have to do is kick him in the leg and it'd be all over.

But to say that a little guy can't beat a big guy? You haven't seen many fights between trained martial artists who happen to be small, and a much larger opponent, have you? As long as it's not some 4th Grade bully on the playground picking on a 1st Grade victim, smaller guys beat bigger opponents all the time.