TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

WWE General Discussion for July 2007

ROB VAN DAM SHOOTS ON BENOIT, THE WELLNESS PROGRAM, THE NEW ECW, TNA, AND TRIPLE H

BENOIT TRAGEDY & THE WELLNESS PROGRAM

When discussing the Benoit tragedy, Van Dam said he was as shocked and horrified as everyone else. He said a lot of people are too quick to accept what they hear. Part of him still can't believe that Benoit was capable of doing it. He said, "What a minute? OJ didn't do it but Chris Benoit did? They never found any reason to believe it was anyone besides OJ and he had everything stacked against him and they said he didn't do it. With Chris Benoit, you have a guy that everybody speaks so highly of. " He said Benoit was the person he looked up to the most in the locker room and wishes he could call and tell him that too. Van Dam said, "No one saw this coming and after the fact, no one can believe it happened." Van Dam said he read tabloid coverage of the incident on the airplane to Great Britain and it's just starting to sink in that Benoit is gone.

"The way this whole thing went down is so bizarre. I think everyone is jumping all over the lifestyle, which of course is so challenging and I needed a break from the traveling, but it doesn't make us kill our families. Now we are hearing steroids. People are automatically, when they hear the word steroids, they're trained, because the word's been demonized to think - 'BAD! BAD! Well, obviously that's what happened.' No, unless there was some crazy amount in his system that we've never heard of, which could be the case. Honestly, anything could be the case because if this could happen, anything could happen and anything is as believable as anything else at this point. You are talking about a man that bound his wife's limbs, strangled her, allegedly, choked his son out and hung himself. We don't have things like this going on. This isn't something associated with or common to people taking steroids, it's not, it's unheard of."

"The Wellness Program, a lot of people want to say that Vince McMahon just came out with the Wellness Program to pacify those who were putting pressure on him after Eddie Guerrero's death. I can say that I do know for a fact, that I've seen the Wellness Program help some athletes who were going down a self-destructive path and that's overlooked quite a bit. The guys who do have problems and don't realize how recreational and destructive they are being. A lot of times, you know who they are without taking a cup of their urine and they could be taken care of without everyone in the entire locker room, and those of us who know how to take care of ourselves and are professional, I don't think you need to get everybody be part of this, but that's the system. The majority is always affected by rules that are set for the minority with the problems. The Wellness Program is something I've been a part of. I think I've been tested 4, 5, 6 times since it started.

"I think it's ironic that everyone is jumping all over steroids because when Eddie Guerrero passed, it was heart failure. They said he had an enlarged heart and he had heart disease and that's what killed him. The heart disease, they said, could have been prevented if they knew about it and they said his addiction to painkillers was a large contributor, even though it had been four years since he had, allegedly, been off of them before he passed."

Van Dam said after Guerrero passed away, he's been regularly seen by multiple doctors including having his heart measured and getting full physicals and exams beyond what WWE requires for the Wellness Program. Van Dam said that the Policy isn't a complete, absolute answer to programs but "it has helped some people."

THE ECW RELAUNCH

Van Dam, who comments earlier in the interview about his personal burnout and needing time away from wrestling, said one of the factors in that burnout was the weight of responsibility for the ECW re-launch on his shoulders. He noted that he was concerned about bringing back ECW because the original players were the only ones who could do it and they were "limited" at that point, but quickly got excited about the idea of finding younger stars to become a new, modernized version of ECW.

He noted that all eyes were on him because his entire WWE run, he was "bitching he missed ECW" and it was on his shoulders to carry the re-launch.

Van Dam said the "new ECW sucked." Van Dam said that when the brand was re-launched last summer, they were struggling to bring up the live crowds but the advertising and budgeting for the live shows were "reduced to an offensive level. Paul Heyman and myself were so disgusted by it that we would both talk about quitting. Paul left before I did and I knew I only had a matter of time before my contract was up."

Van Dam said he would have liked to have seen WWE "utilize the phenomenon that was ECW" and that fans would stop him to tell him they loved the old ECW but didn't like the new version. Van Dam said that he went to Vince McMahon "on a few occasions and told him this isn't going to work and the ECW crowd isn't going to like that. To my dissatisfaction, I learned that his vision of this new ECW was nothing at all like my vision. Nothing at all like the original ECW fans wanted or expected. It was also something that he wasn't going to be able to force the original ECW fans to expect, so his reaction was, 'Screw them, I own the world, here's this new ECW. I'm going to get a whole new audience of new kids and new adults and they're going to like this new ECW like they like Raw and Smackdown because it's a new alternative.' In the long run, as we all know, it's looked at as a lesser product. It never should have been that way. I saw it coming, I saw it happening and now I see that it did happen. Now that it's still happening."

Van Dam also noted that as his contract expired, "I honestly felt like I was abandoning the ECW project. Sabu left. I feel that he left because he knew I only had a few weeks left and he didn't want to be there anymore. I'm concerned about Sandman. The Originals being put back together - me, Tommy Dreamer, Sabu, Sandman - was that like being thrown a bone, to me and to the ECW fans saying, 'We know the new ECW sucks compared to the old ECW, but here's a little something for you guys that want to hold onto the past.' It works. They know how to throw me a bone every once and a while to get me to give that much more and I kept giving and giving but the fact is, they killed ECW. They being WWE, way before I did. I walked out with a clear conscience on that."

In regard to the possibility of going to TNA, Van Dam said that there was a time where he weighed the options and "TNA sounded incredibly appealing" due to the benefits it provides compared to WWE. Van Dam said that by the time June came around and his WWE deal expired, he was so burnt out that he needed to take an "indefinite hiatus." Van Dam said that he can't tell anyone how long it will be before he returns to the ring because he needs to have piece of mind from being away from the ring and having "a calmness" that he's trying to find.

On Paul Heyman: "The whole time I was in WWE and he was in the office, he was the only guy that I felt looked out for my better interest. The only guy I could talk to and the only guy I could trust. Part of trusting Paul is letting him be what he is. You have to take that into consideration. You have to say, 'he's good at lying but that's just part of what makes him Paul.'

On Triple H: "He's always been, to me, a self-crowned king. What I mean is he's got the most important team members behind him. The people who sit there at the table, at the meetings, that make the plans and he quite probably has plans to run the WWE one day. As far as being one of the boys, I would guess that he would be one of the last people that you would see riding in a car with RVD."

On Stephanie McMahon: "Could be my favorite McMahon possibly. She's a sweetheart and I can relate to her on a compassionate level of just being a good person. She's definitely all business. I think all the McMahons are capable of only thinking from inside the box and I don't know if they are aware there is world outside of WWE. Not her particularly, but all of the McMahons."

Just to keep you up to date on WWE Legend Jake "The Snake" Roberts:

My old roommate is a bartender at BW3 in Parkersburg, WV. Jake came in and drank at a table for a bit, then bought some coke off of someone not 10 feet from the bar. Joe said he mistook him for a homeless man until he realized it was Jake.

I was there yesterday as I was in the area for work. Lex Luger's ex-wife was drinking at the bar with her current husband/boyfriend/whatever.

So Linda McMahon is going to be on O'Reilly tomorrow. She's gonna get eaten alive.

So what do you think of the possibility of a congressional investigation? Does perjury include kayfabe? Would the wrestlers have to testify in character? Imagine Khali testifying in front of congress.

Maybes Jake the Snake is WWE's defense case.

"This guys been snorting Coke and shit for years, he's still alive, there's your proof Mr. Congress" Vince McMahon looks smug.

Maybes Jake the Snake is WWE's defense case.

"This guys been snorting Coke and shit for years, he's still alive, there's your proof Mr. Congress" Vince McMahon looks smug.

lmao. it is a wonder that jake is still alive and kicking.

There is a rumor that USA wants WWE to make RAW three hours EVERY WEEK. I'm not sure if this is news or anything, maybe it's old news and it's been mentioned before, but there ya go. No one in WWE wants to do it, and the only way it'll happen is if USA makes them...but that's possible.

Part me of thinks they can't do shit with two hours, but the other part is hoping three hours will have more and longer matches. Three hours will also give them more time for lame skits and boring promo's.

Roll the dice.

It appears that Linda McMahon is currently in China, meaning she probably won't be live on The O'Reilly Factor tonight on FOX News. FOX News is promising that O'Reilly will have a "hard hitting" interview with her on tonight's show. It remains to be seen what exactly will air. It could be an older interview with Linda McMahon.

Per 411.

Also, JR's BBQ place in finally open. Here's the menu: I don't know if I want to eat something w/ JRs "Specail Sauce" on it.

Preparing to play the Game

By Bryan Robinson

Written: July 9, 2007

The murmurs in the Raw locker room started almost immediately after the Superstars – and millions of fans worldwide – heard the familiar gravelly voice and saw the all-too familiar sight: Triple H holding his trusty sledgehammer like a holy scepter.

The vignette was the second video of Triple H that the Raw Superstars and our fans had seen during the show last week, but it clearly had the most impact. The first video showed The Game shortly after he suffered a torn quadriceps at New Year’s Revolution this past January, having surgery and talking about his long recovery ahead. But in the second video, the 10-time World Champion did what he does best – capture attention – as he declared, “In case you have forgotten, I am The Game! And I’m back!”

The Superstars clearly hadn’t forgotten Triple H in the nearly six months since his injury. Eyes widened, and jaws dropped. Questions such as “What does this mean?” and “When is he coming back?” raced around the locker room. King Booker forgot his British accent as he muttered to Queen Sharmell, “Tell me, I didn’t just see that?”

Even the smirk on Randy Orton's face faded. When WWE.com asked the Legend Killer for his thoughts on his hated rival and former Evolution teammate’s return, he brushed aside our reporter’s recorder and said, “No comment.”

Orton brushed shoulders with Carlito, who was leaning up against the wall and munching an apple. He rolled his eyes and sucked his teeth as he watched Orton storm away. The Caribbean Superstar had watched the video like everyone else and was less than impressed.

“I don’t see what the big deal is,” Carlito spat. “I don’t feel he’s [Triple H] done much around here. He doesn’t add anything to Raw. We’re better off without him.”

Perhaps Carlito was just trying to play it cool, but he and all of WWE have been put on notice. The Game is coming back, and it looks like he’s ready start kicking a**. The list of Superstars who have fallen to Triple H is a who’s who of legends in sports-entertainment. From The Rock to Hulk Hogan to Mick Foley to “Stone Cold” Steve Austin and everyone else in between, The Game has made a legendary career out of taking on and beating the best.

As a gladiator who thrives on competing when the lights are brightest and the crowds are at their loudest, it had to have nearly killed Triple H to miss WrestleMania 23 and the 80,000-plus fans at Ford Field in Detroit. He had to have been stir-crazy watching the competition heat up on Raw week after week as he sat at home and rehabbed his injury.

But soon, as Triple H’s entrance song says, it will be “Time to Play The Game,” again on Raw, and some Superstars can’t wait for his return.

“To me, it's like having the flag bearer, the standard by which all things are measured [come back],” said Sandman, a Raw newcomer who has never been on the same brand as Triple H. “To me, I’m looking forward to his return because it can only mean things are gonna heat up around here.”

Triple H’s imminent return has also brought out the fan in some Superstars who happen to be former rivals.

“Triple H was the first guy I ever won the Intercontinental Championship from, and that was an honor in itself,” said Jeff Hardy. “It’s always great to see that guy – he’s so entertaining and creates such positive energy between him and our fans. I would love to see him. It would be great if he came back before the end of the summer. … I’m anticipating it like everyone else.”

Besides when, another question our fans and Superstars must be pondering is what will Triple H want when he returns. Who will he target? He has said he wants to win an 11th World Championship. However, he also had to be fuming when Randy Orton and Edge took credit for putting him on the sidelines when they were partners as Rated-RKO. In addition, could The Game seek new legends – or legends-in-the-making – to conquer, Superstars he hasn’t faced yet, like Bobby Lashley and Mr. Kennedy?

Only Triple H holds the answers to these questions. For now, Raw Superstars and the rest of WWE had best be on top of their game.

WWE.com

Someone needs to tell these writers to keep up with which brand wrestlers are on.

Also, JR's BBQ place in finally open. Here's the menu: I don't know if I want to eat something w/ JRs "Specail Sauce" on it.

Cross Face Chicken Wings

Lightly breaded chicken wings, golden fried and tossed in our special wing sauce.

Think this one will stay on the menu?

I heard those wings are killer.

Is it sad that I'd like to go there, just to do the crazy Backlund look at the hands after I'd finished those wings?

EDIT: Also, I'm sad at the lack of "tougher than a two dollar steak" references on that menu. Or "tougher than a government mule" obviously, but that runs the risk of false advertising.

Edited by King Cucaracha

Preparing to play the Game

By Bryan Robinson

Written: July 9, 2007

The murmurs in the Raw locker room started almost immediately after the Superstars – and millions of fans worldwide – heard the familiar gravelly voice and saw the all-too familiar sight: Triple H holding his trusty sledgehammer like a holy scepter.

The vignette was the second video of Triple H that the Raw Superstars and our fans had seen during the show last week, but it clearly had the most impact. The first video showed The Game shortly after he suffered a torn quadriceps at New Year’s Revolution this past January, having surgery and talking about his long recovery ahead. But in the second video, the 10-time World Champion did what he does best – capture attention – as he declared, “In case you have forgotten, I am The Game! And I’m back!”

The Superstars clearly hadn’t forgotten Triple H in the nearly six months since his injury. Eyes widened, and jaws dropped. Questions such as “What does this mean?” and “When is he coming back?” raced around the locker room. King Booker forgot his British accent as he muttered to Queen Sharmell, “Tell me, I didn’t just see that?”

Even the smirk on Randy Orton's face faded. When WWE.com asked the Legend Killer for his thoughts on his hated rival and former Evolution teammate’s return, he brushed aside our reporter’s recorder and said, “No comment.”

Orton brushed shoulders with Carlito, who was leaning up against the wall and munching an apple. He rolled his eyes and sucked his teeth as he watched Orton storm away. The Caribbean Superstar had watched the video like everyone else and was less than impressed.

“I don’t see what the big deal is,” Carlito spat. “I don’t feel he’s [Triple H] done much around here. He doesn’t add anything to Raw. We’re better off without him.”

Perhaps Carlito was just trying to play it cool, but he and all of WWE have been put on notice. The Game is coming back, and it looks like he’s ready start kicking a**. The list of Superstars who have fallen to Triple H is a who’s who of legends in sports-entertainment. From The Rock to Hulk Hogan to Mick Foley to “Stone Cold” Steve Austin and everyone else in between, The Game has made a legendary career out of taking on and beating the best.

As a gladiator who thrives on competing when the lights are brightest and the crowds are at their loudest, it had to have nearly killed Triple H to miss WrestleMania 23 and the 80,000-plus fans at Ford Field in Detroit. He had to have been stir-crazy watching the competition heat up on Raw week after week as he sat at home and rehabbed his injury.

But soon, as Triple H’s entrance song says, it will be “Time to Play The Game,” again on Raw, and some Superstars can’t wait for his return.

“To me, it's like having the flag bearer, the standard by which all things are measured [come back],” said Sandman, a Raw newcomer who has never been on the same brand as Triple H. “To me, I’m looking forward to his return because it can only mean things are gonna heat up around here.”

Triple H’s imminent return has also brought out the fan in some Superstars who happen to be former rivals.

“Triple H was the first guy I ever won the Intercontinental Championship from, and that was an honor in itself,” said Jeff Hardy. “It’s always great to see that guy – he’s so entertaining and creates such positive energy between him and our fans. I would love to see him. It would be great if he came back before the end of the summer. … I’m anticipating it like everyone else.”

Besides when, another question our fans and Superstars must be pondering is what will Triple H want when he returns. Who will he target? He has said he wants to win an 11th World Championship. However, he also had to be fuming when Randy Orton and Edge took credit for putting him on the sidelines when they were partners as Rated-RKO. In addition, could The Game seek new legends – or legends-in-the-making – to conquer, Superstars he hasn’t faced yet, like Bobby Lashley and Mr. Kennedy?

Only Triple H holds the answers to these questions. For now, Raw Superstars and the rest of WWE had best be on top of their game.

WWE.com

Someone needs to tell these writers to keep up with which brand wrestlers are on.

Yeah, as said above, I don't know what you're really referring to. Carlito, Orton, and Triple H are all on RAW.

I love when people rush to criticise the writers, but end up being wrong.

The WON said USA wanted RAW to be three hours and feature a lot of Stone Cold

I wonder how long it takes them to rename Cross Face chicken wings. I mean, sure it's obvious they're referencing Backlunds move.. but the other Crossface has been in the media a lot these days and there's no doubt got to be some kind of marketing faux pas with using that naming for a menu item, heh.

I wonder how long it takes them to rename Cross Face chicken wings. I mean, sure it's obvious they're referencing Backlunds move.. but the other Crossface has been in the media a lot these days and there's no doubt got to be some kind of marketing faux pas with using that naming for a menu item, heh.

They should rename them for Trish Stratus and call them the Chick Kick'n Wings.

Bob, what the hell is USA thinking wanting a lot of Austin on the show? Austin literally has zero redeeming value at this point. He can't wrestle anymore. His movie tanked beyond all comprehension. His ex wife is all over cable news stations badmouthing him to anyone who will listen. And when he gets on the mic he's insanely tiresome with his "WHAT?" garbage that was tedious 5 years ago. Oh, and he'll also bury all the Raw talent by stunning them while they get nothing back on him. And in the end won't draw any more viewers, maybe would even turn off some of the current audience.

USA doesn't care if you don't like him, Cabbage. USA only cares about the bottom line and as far as they can see, Austin is still a name. Remember, Austin was the focal point of the huge ratings period and USA assumes that he can still be that type of draw. USA wants three hours because it still gets good ratings week in and week out no matter how bad it gets. They see adding a third hour as a logical move since the 3 hour specials have done well enough to seek out that third hour for good.

Universial gets 3 hours of WWE already. Some might say that is overkill but they wouldn't.