TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Floridian Cool

Perfect time to make CM Punk champion?

Doesn't everyone realize they want Punk to chase the title? It's not about if he wins it, it's more of when. I don't see a problem having him chase the title, since you know, that's what top faces are supposed to do before they win it.

The longer Punk chases the title, the better it will be for the brand. First, it'll make Punk winning the belt actually feel important. Second, the longer Nitro holds onto the belt and tries to keep it away from Punk, the better he looks and more people start to actually consider him a Champion. Lastly, it makes the entire ECW brand look better as you, hopefully, have a hot title chase and blow-off mony match that they can promote.

The longer Punk chases the title, the better it will be for the brand. First, it'll make Punk winning the belt actually feel important. Second, the longer Nitro holds onto the belt and tries to keep it away from Punk, the better he looks and more people start to actually consider him a Champion. Lastly, it makes the entire ECW brand look better as you, hopefully, have a hot title chase and blow-off mony match that they can promote.

Antileaf you couldn't be more spot on.

It's the WWf'nE. It doesn't matter if Corvon or Burke interfere or not. This company has a black belt in disappointing the audience's expectations.

Guest heyguesswhatidid

I'm guessing Summerslam.

but only because I'm going and I'd love to see that.

Don't get your hopes up. Please review the epicly, incredibly spectacularly bad show that was last year's SS, complete with an entire night of the worst finishes they could've possibly come up with. Seriously, if I were TRYING to piss off my audience and kill the town, I couldn't have done a better job than that worthless ppv last year.

Don't get your hopes up. Please review the epicly, incredibly spectacularly bad show that was last year's SS, complete with an entire night of the worst finishes they could've possibly come up with. Seriously, if I were TRYING to piss off my audience and kill the town, I couldn't have done a better job than that worthless ppv last year.

Your negativity should be used elsewhere. Why do you even grace the WWE folder with your presence when all of your posts are negative?

The way I see it that in order to make a new superstar you need to find the perfect opponent who can have that proverbial five star match where both wrestlers get the standing ovation from the fans and it does not matter who won the match. Now, I ponder will CM Punk's time ever come or will he be playing the role as the go to guy for the on the job trainer and as the stepping stone to this month's "the next big thing"? CM Punk has been wading through the pool of the averageness having somewhat entertaining matches with the people who have been sent down to the Sci-Fi network and making them look good. I would believe that CM Punk has been on ECW tv long enough for the fans to embrace him as the person that truly represents what this incarnation of ECW is.

Now having said that I feel that the history of this ECW Championship has been handled wrong. In the beginning all was good when original fan favorite RVD was champion acting as the bridge from the past to the present to give it some meaning. Killing the crediblity of the ECW started first when the Big Show was champion now people still wanted to believe that this ECW was somehow connected with the glory days of 1995 but the Big Show is the complete opposite of that ideal. To make it worse defending the belt every week made it look like a midcard TV belt not a World Title. Then in the Elimination Chamber match the belt was basically handed to Bobby Lashley who has the look and all things that WWE believes is the "it factor". The problem with his title reign is that the man's personality was quite boring his interview skills needed alot of work and he showed no emotion at all be it rage or bliss. In his only feud as ECW champ, he was fighting the boss Mr. McMahan who has always been the nemesis of ECW since day 1....and Bobby Lashley was suppose to represent all of the mutants who go to every single Hammerstein Ballroom wrestling event? It was unbelievable from a fan standpoint because of not only the suppose past history still fresh in the hardcore fan minds but due to Lashley talking in a monotone voice as he is supposedly crushing Vince's hand in anger. The next death blow if you will of the credibility of ECW was making Vince McMahon the champion. Now the Sci Fi channel wrestling program is just one of the many WWE brand productions.

The WWE re-re-re-reboot of ECW started up again with the tournament for the ECW championship at the Vengeance PPV with the title match being CM Punk vs last second replacement Johnny Nitro. Finally, CM Punk is going to win his first championship RIGHT!? RIGHT!? RIGHT!? Afterall who the hell was Johnny Nitro other than Eric Bischoff's personal assistent there was no way he could win the belt. But it happened anyway and everybody is scratching there head pondering "WTF" a guy who hasn't been on Sci-Fi channel once gets the belt handed to him for some obscure reason. CM Punk got screwed again.

Now back to the original question perfect time to make CM Punk champion? Well it sure as hell isn't going to happen on the ECW brand since the chase there means absolutely nothing. Why should he be chasing the ECW belt when it is tossed around to Smackdown midcard guys the second they "sign" with ECW? The ECW heel champions are not as engrossing to watch to actually care if they lose the belt or not because there is no real reason to care. If anything CM Punk should be on Raw among the other young main eventers trying to make a name for himself. CM Punk is too talented to be stuck on the 3rd brand show having to teach them how to work a match. He should be on thrown into the Raw main event scene because we all know watching Orton vs Edge vs Cena has played it course.

Keep in mind that the WWE feels that there needs to be a credible superster needed on the ECW brand. That's why Benoit got moved. So to simply say that a Punk/Nitro feud would work right now is probably not what the WWE are thinking. The belt fell into Nitro's hands and he may job the belt out to a "credible" champ that just shows up one day on ECW. Of course that'll kill Nitro's credibility, but the WWE would never care about that. Benoit really was the perfect guy to legitimize the ECW championship because, since it's basically a demotion, he won't cause to much of a stir about it (or so they thought). They aren't going to move HBK or HHH "down" there, but some one like that needs to be there in WWE's mind.

So the more realistic question is not "is it the perfect time to make punk champ?" but "who does the WWE move down there to be a credible champ?"

Your negativity should be used elsewhere. Why do you even grace the WWE folder with your presence when all of your posts are negative?

I take my negativity with me everywhere I go.

Besides, the WWE is mostly a cartoon/circus, run by a scumbag, which sometimes seems like they're actively trying to alienate their own fanbase with the dumbest, most offensive storylines and pushing the guys who can't fucking wrestle as the top unbeatable supermen. Yeah, sometimes we'll get Matt vs. Finlay or something similar, but other nights go by where there's barely a single watchable match.

I can already hear your response, "Why do you watch it then?" Because I watch ALL wrestling, every week. I'm addicted to it. WWE, TNA, lucha, plus whatever I drag out of my massive pile o' wrestling tapes to watch this week. On every show I can usually find something that I enjoyed, even if I had to suffer through one hundred and nineteen minutes of pure bullshit to get to it.

When the WWE is on, in the zone, have their shit together, etc, they can put on some of the best wrestling in the world. But 90% of the time, the best I can say for them is "Well, at least it ain't Impact".

If that was the plan, they would have done it already. Nitro is here to stay.

I never really considered that. However, I believe when the decision was made to have Nitro replace Benoit, they were going on the notion that Benoit would be back. Now that he's not, I would think that they're looking to bring in star power.

Not that I think they should, but it's what they will likely do given the WWE's track record.

Punk on RAW RIGHT NOW would be a huge mistake. Just like with Kennedy.

Come on anything would be better than watching the average Cena match as the main event! Superman Cena needs to find his Lex Luthor and that man might be CM Punk if he went full heel. They gave a little tease of Punk's mind games on ECW when he was feuding with Burke just think what he can do on the main show.

As for Misterrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Kennedy well maybe CM Punk should of won the Money in the Bank match like he should of won the Elimination Chamber or the Vengeance match.

Punk on RAW RIGHT NOW would be a huge mistake. Just like with Kennedy.

Come on anything would be better than watching the average Cena match as the main event! Superman Cena needs to find his Lex Luthor and that man might be CM Punk if he went full heel. They gave a little tease of Punk's mind games on ECW when he was feuding with Burke just think what he can do on the main show.

Get lost in the shuffle? Be another Cena victim? Be exposed to the fact that he's not actually as popular with the casual audience as he is with the people on here who've seen him get OMG5***** from Dave Meltzer~! yet?

Bringing Punk in to be the guy that John Cena just can't figure out just smacks of the way they brought Shelton Benjamin in with Triple H. And that didn't work that great. Punk beats Cena, gets some momentum, Punk doesn't become the champion because he's not ready yet, Punk drops to IC level, Punk loses steam, Punk ends up on Heat. Great idea!

As for Misterrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Kennedy well maybe CM Punk should of won the Money in the Bank match like he should of won the Elimination Chamber or the Vengeance match.

So now, he should have been hot-shotted yet earlier still!? Please can we get some perspective here people? I love Punk. I've followed him for pretty much 7 years now through the indies, TNA, ROH, now WWE. But he's FINE where he is. This isn't like Joe in TNA, his indy accomplishments don't mean shit to a good percentage of the audience, they need to take their time and capitalise when he really does catch on. That time isn't just yet.

What sets CM Punk apart from all of the average "monster" jobber is the fact that CM Punk has the near perfect mix of interview, promo, working the crowd, skills the only thing holding him back is that he isn't a former body builder or football player. Why not throw him in the mix? Hot shotting people into the main event is true "WWE style" sometime it works sometimes it doesn't. Giving people the belt for no reason other than thinking it will make the wrestler into a superstar has been the company practice forever. And if it doesn't work at the start then the WWE will run it into the ground for 16 months until the people give up and accept the big push. CM Punk deserves a chance just as much as any other wrestler currently employed.

What sets CM Punk apart from all of the average "monster" jobber is the fact that CM Punk has the near perfect mix of interview, promo, working the crowd, skills the only thing holding him back is that he isn't a former body builder or football player. Why not throw him in the mix? Hot shotting people into the main event is true "WWE style" sometime it works sometimes it doesn't. Giving people the belt for no reason other than thinking it will make the wrestler into a superstar has been the company practice forever. And if it doesn't work at the start then the WWE will run it into the ground for 16 months until the people give up and accept the big push. CM Punk deserves a chance just as much as any other wrestler currently employed.

Because CM Punk is one of the people who draws people to watch ECW. Moving him to another show would hurt ECW in the numbers department and if you had 3 shows that got money into your company, why would you want to jeoperdize that?

Now reading from your first long post, your a big CM Punk fan, but moving him to Raw or Smackdown would be a huge mistake. He might be a good feud with Edge, but I'm sure there are a line of people the WWE writers already have in mind for Edge. So you move him to Raw and he feuds with John Cena and I'm sorry but CM Punk would turn Cena heel so fast it wouldn't be funny and here's why.

CM Punk is not a gimmick wrestler, it's him and fans casual and "Smart" alike will get behind the normal wrestler who is chasing after a world title. John Cena on the other hand is just a silly gimmick and against some wrestlers, he's well liked, but when you Cena against HHH, HBK, Edge, or someone who is just themselves, the majority fans turn on Cena pretty damn quickly. Now when WWE is trying to turn John Cena into the next Hulk Hogan like wrestler.....why would your risk downfalling that whole thing when your going to throw a guy like CM Punk into the mix? You would be insane to try that.

And lets say the feud does happen, and Cena overcomes Punk for whatever reason. Punk's done. Plain and simple, there won't be a re-match for Punk and if there is, the same thing that happen to Khali will happen to Punk. Khali was built up to be this huge mountain for Cena to pass but after we found out Cena can beat Khali, that whole feud was dead after that 1 match. You mean to tell me that wouldn't happen again? It will and it would. Punk get lost and put back on ECW or onto Smackdown, just like that.

Not only that, but CM Punk fits much better on ECW than he would on Raw and Smackdown right now. ECW is a show filled with guys who aren't doing silly gimmicks or who aren't trying to be something their not (Boogey is excluded in this.) instead just about everyone on ECW is pretty much being themselves, why put Punk on one of the shows where he would have to wrestle something out of a cartoon?

The WWE sacrificed the "unbeaten" streaks of both Umaga and Khali to the almighty devouring altar of Cena. What in the blue hell makes you think that Vince is gonna let some skinny indy guy beat his newest Heartbreak Cold Rock Hogan?

Besides, who was the last guy to win a world belt who WASN'T a bodybuilder? Big Show and RVD don't count, as ECW was designed to be an inferior brand right from the start. And don't say Rey Jr either, cuz, well, "O.G."...

i don't mean to be nit-picky, but RVD is just as much a true world champion as anyone else has ever been

but king bookah, jbl, and kurt angle have held the top belts recently without looking sauced up

but no, c.m. punk is NOT ready to be a world champion anytime soon, and to me, this was his rookie year. i never saw him before last august

I'll give you JBL, but Booker and Angle?! They were obviously doing something more than just saying prayers and taking vitamins.

Punk is skinnier than anyone they've ever had as world champion. Ever. Even Shawn Michaels had more muscle mass back in the day. Vince just isn't gonna put a world belt on a guy who looks like that. Either Punk has to change his mind about his "straightedge" ways (assuming of course that we don't get federally mandated WWE drug testing sometime soon), or he can forget about ever being a main eventer.

Come on now people why are you bringing up weight when the greatest champion of the modern era that being Shawn Michaels was realistically barely 170-185! Now is the perfect time for the CM Punk title reign....maybe it time to grow some chest hair.

"Greatest"? He didn't cut the best promos. He damn sure didn't draw the most money. And he might have had the best matches, but even he's debatable. (And that's coming from a big fan of HBK.) Besides, Vince's ghey crush on Michaels led to him getting away with a LOT of shit that nobody else did.

Punk is just as thin as Michaels, if not thinner. His promos are about equal, but he's not as funny. And no matter what the ROHbots say, CM Punk could only approach Shawn Michaels' workrate in his dreams. But of course the Batistas and Lashleys have shown us that talking and wrestling aren't as important to Vince as just standing there and looking really big. Meanwhile, Punk stands there and looks like a fluffy cat right after it's been given a bath.

Once again: except for his boytoy Michaels, Vince has never put the belt on anyone that small. Why do you think he's gonna start experimenting now? Certainly not because of Benoit's death, as pushing Lashley and Kane shows.

Once again: except for his boytoy Michaels, Vince has never put the belt on anyone that small. Why do you think he's gonna start experimenting now? Certainly not because of Benoit's death, as pushing Lashley and Kane shows.

Even though it was Vince and Steph's faults, they think Jericho and Eddie are "experiments" that didn't work.

Come on now people why are you bringing up weight when the greatest champion of the modern era that being Shawn Michaels was realistically barely 170-185! Now is the perfect time for the CM Punk title reign....maybe it time to grow some chest hair.

50.jpg

barely 170 eh?

I base my opinion on the PPV and tv matches alone. I was a fan ever since the Midnight Rockers from back in the ESPN AWA so I kinda of knew what to expect from Shawn Michaels. And to relate this to CM Punk the fans already watched him for years in other companies so they know what to expect from him in the ring. Its not like he is some nobody from the WWE developmental system who nobody ever heard of. Again CM Punk does deserve a title shot against one of the top stars of WWE be it Edge or Cena all for it to be acceptable to the general public would be a simple 2 month program to build him up as a contender. As for the weight of the wrestlers well alot of the hype behind the superstars is probably false as it fits into the whole "larger than life" bs sideshow shrill. The size of the wrestler is only one part of the hype and shouldn't be the main focus of the promotion because if they over emphasize on part it takes away from the others.....and really do we need to see another 7 foot tall freak that doesn't speak english or another ethnic monster who does nothing but yell yibberish? Smaller wrestlers are more entertaining because they can incorporate several different types of wrestling styles instead of being trapped in only doing choppy, choppy, punch, kick, trademark spot.

Guest Chrisly_2005
No, Nitro needs to become a really estblished champion to help add some actual credit to the ECW title.

My thoughts exactly. ECW is a really bad show to hot shot a title around as well. There is no real credible challengers for the belt other than Punk, Nitro, Burke, and Cor Von. Leave the belt on Nitro for a while and let him establish himself and the title

I would of rather watch CM Punk go feud with Sandman, Balls Mahoney, Stevie Richards, Tommy Dreamer declaring himself the true "New Breed" ECW champion then go back to working with Burke, The Alpha Male, Striker, Vampire. Nitro would be better off as the IC champion instead of that New Jersey Itallian guy or Umaga.