TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Man Who Sold The World

Cloverfield

The entire thing takes place from the perspective of a party goer with a camera, waiting to surprise their friend, Rob. It's basically a nice, big bon voyage party between friends. The entire thing feels incredibly real and like plenty of parties I've been to myself--people mingle, munch on chips, chatter, etc. Rob arrives, everyone yells surprise, the camera person interviews people for anything they have to say to Rob before he leaves.

After probably 30 seconds or a little longer, the apartment shakes, the lights flicker, people scream and head to the roof. A crowd approaches the edge of the roof immediately as a massive explosion miles away takes place. People scream and start scrambling back to the stairs. Right before they enter the stairwell, something like a comet (a piece of the previous explosion) comes flying near the people and the roof. The camera is very jumpy and cuts in and out as people make their way down a darkened stairwell to the street. At this point, I can't remember if the screen cuts to black and says "From producer JJ Abrams..." or if that happens once they're all on the ground. Either way, it's at a good moment and is the first inkling as to what we're watching.

Once on the ground, some people are running in hysteria while others look into the distance trying to figure what's happening. Pieces of the explosion start flying towards the ground and hitting buildings all around. The people that were just looking into the distance finally start moving. At that moment, a massive piece of the explosion starts heading towards the camera. It flies right by and skids down the middle of the city street, hitting some people along the way. The piece finally slows down, rocks back towards the camera, and there she is--Lady Liberty's face, in flames and destroyed. Cut to black. Hitting theatres January 2008 (I think it was 01/18/08).

In my opinion this is one of the most effective trailers I've ever seen. It's not polished like most big budget film trailers, but it felt huge. It had people in the theatre chattering, wondering what the heck this is and when it's coming. The entire trailer had a verisimilitude to it. It felt like it was happening... like we were there. In short, it did it's job and then some. Surprisingly, they didn't say what the name of the film was in the trailer. Whatever it's called in the end though, I'm there.

This preview had me more tense and excited than anything I saw in Transformers. And heck, I even liked Transformers in all its Bayish ridiculousness.

I haven't been this excited for a project since I was a little boy, and its got me guessing up a storm as to what this could eventually reveal itself to be. My personal guess is GODZILLA. It's extremely marketable, and to add the handheld element to the franchise would be all kinds of awesome. JJ's smart, and because I believe so, I would rule out LOST connections.

Discuss.

Guest Vitamin X

I already put the trailer and my thoughts on what the monster is (A chimera) in the other thread.

I really can't wait for this. Other than "The Host", we've had a real shortage of quality giant monster movies.

You know what could be a refreshing change of pace? An action/horror movie based on the Rampage video game series.

edit: Venkman, I checked wiki, there's no mention of Godzilla anywhere on the Cloverfield article.

I doubt Abrams would be attached to that. But I totally agree with the idea.

The way this is marketed, it had better live up to the hype. Or it's gonna be a massive disappointment.

I'm already completely interested in what this is going to be like.

It might have been on the Cloverfield wiki and removed, but I actually think I saw it first on the "Zilla" wiki page (long story short, I noticed that "Godzilla 2" was listed as a possible 2009 release when trying to make a 2007 movie schedule and began looking more stuff up on wiki).

So, technically, it's rumored that Zilla is in Cloverfield, not Godzilla.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zilla

abrams wouldn't use that embarrassing replacement for the original Godzilla, since he's a long time fan of TOHO monster movies.

So you'd rather have an actor in a suit for Godzilla? The Tri-Star Godzilla wasn't that bad. The monster didn't look like the orginal Godzilla, but it was done very well. Anyway, since Paramount is producing this I doubt that Godzilla is involved.

You know what could be a refreshing change of pace? An action/horror movie based on the Rampage video game series.

edit: Venkman, I checked wiki, there's no mention of Godzilla anywhere on the Cloverfield article.

Rampage the Movie would be awesome.

Yeah I was a fan of the original Godzilla movies until I realized it was a fucking guy in a suit, then the movies became painful to watch. The 98 Godzilla atleast has some replay value no matter how corny the script is. But I will say that the trailer for this untitled movie has my interest. Can't wait to see what happens with it.

Everyone who praises anything about the American "Godzilla" for any reason deserves to have their house stepped on by Gojira. Terrible, worthless movie.

Everyone who praises anything about the American "Godzilla" for any reason deserves to have their house stepped on by Gojira. Terrible, worthless movie.

If you think that movie is terrible I don't see how you could possibly praise any of the Godzilla movies that followed it, now those were truly some stinkers. Besides, just because you didn't like the movie doesn't mean nobody else did. It was a decent popcorn flick and thats about it.

Anyway, as far as Cloverfield goes. Apparently, the 01-18-08 might not even be a release date, but the name of the movie itself. On the website 1-18-08.com/ there isn't much but there are two pictures that are time stamped 01-18-08, so apparently thats the day all this happens on.

Also there is some blog on Ethanhaaswaswrong and a site Ethanhaaswasright that promises something on August 01.

I'm sure there is more stuff somewhere, but thats all I've seen so far.

Guest Vitamin X

Hey, pretty good finds there, Secret Agent. I'm going to have fun with this viral marketing b.s.

1-18-08 is kinda cool in the respect that you can click and drag around the picture there, as to what they have so far. ethanhaaswasright.com is kind of a puzzle site, and the other one is just a stupid blog with links to what appears to be a clothing company (http://www.darewareclothing.com/) when he puts in the name Ethan Haas. This is the shopkeeper of that website's bio pic (it looks like a cafepress site):

5983694.jpg

That may not have anything to do with the movie, but I thought it was kind of funny. And the bio itself says:

Allyn Q. Dareware (February 22, 1978 – Present) was a central and critical figure in the founding of the United States, and is commonly referred to as father of the nation. He led America's Continental Army to victory over Britain in the American Revolutionary War (1981–1983), and in 1994 was elected the first President of the United States of America. He served two four-year terms from 1995 to 2003, winning reelection in 2000. His devotion to republicanism and civic virtue made him an exemplary figure among early American politicians.

Well, then. If you click on the upper left star on ethanhaaswasright and email him, you'll get a response back to decode whatever puzzle is going on in that site.

I heard it was something having to do with Lovecraft and the Ancient Ones on aintitcoolnews.com, but who the hell knows. That would be pretty fucking sweet, though.

Guest Vitamin X

That's very possible. The ethanhaaswaswrong site alludes to that:

This movie is about C'thulhu appearing in New York City and wreaking havoc on the populace. Its not just your average monster movie, though. Here's the extra special gimmick that's never been done before: The whole film is shot by everyday citizens with their own home-video cameras. Doesn't that sound exciting as shit? Hell yeah it does. Let's save everybody a bunch of time and just send those Oscars to J.J. Abrams immediately.

I got to the fourth level out of five on that puzzle thing on ethanhaaswasright (the one where you have to move all the pieces together). After each level you get a video from some survivor of the attack and it all sounds very Lovecraft-ish.

EDIT: Also, the trailer has resurfaced on this website: http://www.thegaminglife.net/ second blog entry from the top.

EDIT #2: Finished the puzzles! (I am really bored today). VERY Lovecraft. All the messages talk about the "Old World" and the "New World" and the new hierarchy in which we (the survivors) have to find our place, whether we like it or not.

That pretty much confirms the Ancient Ones returning then. Though, in the trailer, you can hear someone go, "It's a lion! It's huge!" before the head of the Statue of Liberty comes flying.

Shit, really? I'm ignorant to the Ancient Ones mythos, what are they?

Here's some help

If this is some kind of Lovecraftian creature or old one, I will definately be there. The blog offered gives off some real Lovecraftian vibes

If that huge roar in the midst of the trailer had any sort of sampling of The Bloop involved, and it forced me to listen to it, I'm suing.

Jesus motherfucking Christ I will literally do backflips if someone successfully makes a (good) big budget Cthulhu movie!