TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Man Who Sold The World

Cloverfield

This movie is really funnier than it has any right to be. Yeah, Hud is hilarious, but Marlena is actually pretty funny in her own way too.

Marlena was great. After the movie was over I realized that she was wacky lesbian outcast Janis from Mean Girls, which was just funny in and of itself.

I also saw this:

Cloverfield monster toy.

No picture yet. At $99, this seems like a pretty serious item. Kinda steep, but as a collector and a fan of the movie, I'll probably spring for it. Sadly I won't be able to bring myself to take it out of the box.

Oooohhhh, I am too big of a geek not to buy that! :P

This movie is really funnier than it has any right to be. Yeah, Hud is hilarious, but Marlena is actually pretty funny in her own way too.

Marlena was great. After the movie was over I realized that she was wacky lesbian outcast Janis from Mean Girls, which was just funny in and of itself.

Hey - how about I never put that together until you posted this. How about that.

The fact that I recognised her was distracting in a way. Even though she was perfect for the role, I would've gotten another actress.

I also recognised Ben Feldman from The Perfect Man.

For those that have seen the movie, please read these links.

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/clov...matt-reeves.php

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/excl...r-came-from.php

Apparently the splash in the background of the Coney Island scene may not have been the Tagruato satellite crashing, it may have a younger baby monster which is the one that devours Hud while the adult is the one that got bombed to crap and who's carcass is in the new 1-18-08 website picture. So perhaps they killed the mother but not the baby, hence the "Help us, it's still alive" message at the end of the movie. A lot of people have said that the monster that devoured Hu and snuck up on them in Central Park didn't make the same amount of noise as the first monster shown attacking the city and looked a lot smaller so perhaps it actually was.

That isn't a picture of the dead monster on the 1-18-08 website. They're whale carcasses, which I guess the monster ate. Look, you can even see a big bite mark in one of them. Bombs don't leave bite marks.

Only one monster too. It wasn't smaller, it only looked that way because of the point of view. Before Hud got ate.

I think people are just making things up now to make it all make sense since the movie doesn't tell us anything.

I don't know if the monster is alien or a sea creature, but it has to be one of those two. I think they intentionally gave us those two scenarios, cause Hud talked about them in the subway, I think that was the writers giving us a big clue.

Good to see Dean from Grounded for Life too.

I liked the movie but thought the acting could've been better. Now that I think about it more, I liked the movie than I originally did after just watching it. I may have to watch it again.

More details:

The thing falling into the ocean in the final scene is either a satellite or a burrowing device from the Tagruato corporation. This satellite wakes up the monster, which has been slumbering in the depths prior to this. The corporation uses the burrowing device to harvest the material from deep within the earth they use in their soft drinks.

This info found in the graphic novel origin story, and on the viral webpages for the movie including the myspace page of Rob, and the pages for the fictional companies.

I know her better from The Class.

Saw it last night, really enjoyed it. It's not the kind of film style I want to see mimicked or repeated (and rumours suggest that due to a scene

on the Brooklyn Bridge involving a second videographer that is briefly seen

, we just might get to do it over again...). I really found myself invested in the characters to the point that at the party I almost forgot this was a monster movie. It was really cool to "be" Hud and learn as they do - someone said it was like a ride and yes, it is very much similar to a 90 minute version of Doc Brown asking you to chase Biff in a Delorean and I loved it for it.

Funny audience moment: Someone above us just decided to out loud ask "what is that thing anyway?" during a quiet moment when no one on screen was talking. This was the part where Hud just declares to no one in particular "That's a terrible thing". We laughed.

The theatre here had signs all over the place alerting people that the movie is shot with a steadycam on purpose AND suggested people may get motion sickness, offering refunds up until 45 minutes had passed (they also had to verbally advise me of this when I bought the ticket). Anyone else have things like this?

Star Trek's trailer had some guy clapping and cheering while his friends said "we don't know him" while I almost boo'd because I'm not keen on cameoless series reboots. Go to hell, new Star Trek! I really did like the Iron Man trailer though (though after seeing Iron Man flying through the sky at the speed of a jet, I told my comic loving friend I was going to have some questions for him, such as "shouldn't going that fast make that suit too damned hot?" but I forgot).

Haha yea, the "terrible thing" comment was pretty good. Especially when they're

trying to get Beth out of the building, only to get attacked by a parasite. Beth screams "What is that thing?" and Hud tells her "It's another terrible thing!"

. The girlfriend and I are probably going to see it again this weekend. One of the best times I've had at a theater since Star Wars Episode III, in that everyone was "into" the movie, and cheering and applauding for stuff. Not just sitting there observing.

More notes:

The two times I saw it, there were different trailers. It was at the same theater and everything. Star Trek was on both, but that was it. I had been telling my friend he would like the Doomsday trailer (28 Days Later meets Thunderdome?), and then they didn't even show it.

On viewing number two, I yelled out the old classic "That's GOTTA HURT!" during that moment of silence. You know the one I mean.

I got pretty bad motion sickness when I saw this last night. I had to just put my head down and listen for several stretches of the movie, and then I got my wife to drive home because I thought I might barf at any moment.

Saw it earlier today, and I liked it a lot. Fun movie all around.

According to Cloverfield's Wiki entry, "On January 31st, 2008, The E! Channel's Daily 10 show confirmed there will be a sequel to Cloverfield, citing 65 million earned at the box office influencing the decision."

More notes:

On viewing number two, I yelled out the old classic "That's GOTTA HURT!" during that moment of silence. You know the one I mean.

Awesome. Did everyone in the theatre stand up and applaud, chanting your name and lifting you up onto their shoulders?

Just got back from viewing the film. First off, I was wrong. You do see the moster pretty clearly. But if you ask me, it hurt the film a little bit.

In a word, this film is genius. Everything about this film was well put together, from the performances to the special effects to the ultra real camera footage.

It is a solid four star movie, I deducted a star because you see to much of the monster, the girlfriend storyline was pretty lame, Huds death raises more questions than it needed (how could a massive monster not devour him/how the fuck did the camera stay in tact) and the movie should have ended when the helicopter crashed.

I actually had the theory that there were two monsters. One that stood up and one that was on all fours. It might just be the way it was filmed.

Eitherway, it's a great flick. But should have been 10 minutes shorter.

I actually had the theory that there were two monsters. One that stood up and one that was on all fours. It might just be the way it was filmed.

Yeah, that was confirmed somewhere as a perception issue. Same terrible thing.

I know its still early, but are there any word on DVD special features yet? After all the marketing, and 10,000 different trailers this film had, its bound to have a ton of bonus content.

There better be some DVD-exclusive "documentary" on what the monster is. That's really the question that irks my friends that have seen it: where the fuck did it come from?

There better be some DVD-exclusive "documentary" on what the monster is. That's really the question that irks my friends that have seen it: where the fuck did it come from?

Deep sea monster that was awakened / mutated when a satellite belonging to the Japanese company "Tagruato" fell into the ocean (as briefly seen at the end of the film at Coney Island). Also some jiberjab about an "implied relationship between the human protagonist Kishin Aiba, his dead mother, and the creature" in some Manga prequel.

I don't really care where it came from, I just loved seeing it fuck shit up. Plus, the movie is presented that it's entirely off of an SD card that the military apparently found. No more. No less. Of course that wouldn't explain where it came from. Why would the civilians filming and running for their lives know where it came from? Sure you could argue that they could've slipped in some "before and after" military scenes.. but, IMO, then it'd be "just another movie" - leaving out the convoluted backstory is part of what makes this movie so enjoyable.

This would have been a good film if I'd actually cared about the characters. Hud had a few good lines, but otherwise I would have been fine for them to have got killed off a lot sooner.

I feel you. I liked Hud and Marlena, but the rest weren't too appealing. So, that's less than half of the characters. I still think it was a good film, though.

I don't know. I really don't think the characters matter in the big picture. What matters is the attack, and the characters is just one of the director's plot devices, rather than being the meat of the movie.

(Yes I saw the movie recently as well. Just as well done as a monster movie could be.)

I don't really care where it came from, I just loved seeing it fuck shit up. Plus, the movie is presented that it's entirely off of an SD card that the military apparently found. No more. No less. Of course that wouldn't explain where it came from. Why would the civilians filming and running for their lives know where it came from? Sure you could argue that they could've slipped in some "before and after" military scenes.. but, IMO, then it'd be "just another movie" - leaving out the convoluted backstory is part of what makes this movie so enjoyable.

I'm in the same boat as you, I don't want to know where the monster came from.

It's kinda like Saw 3, I really liked Saw 1 but I don't like it as much now since Saw 3 explained everything that happened. It ruined the ambiguity.

I'm in the same boat as you, I don't want to know where the monster came from.

It's kinda like Saw 3, I really liked Saw 1 but I don't like it as much now since Saw 3 explained everything that happened. It ruined the ambiguity.

I feel the exact same way about The Matrix.

Interesting, I thought the characters were of supreme importance. I do interpret the film through the lens of a post-9/11 New York, though. Ordinary people doing extraordinary, heroic things during a horrendous attack on the city. If the movie isn't about that, JJ fooled me.