TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Angle-plex

Movie moments that gave/give you chills *Spoilers throughout*

300, when King Leonidas lays down his arms and you think he's going to give up...but swerve, he picks his spear back up and chucks it at Xerxes

Come on, that's no swerve. Don't you know anything about actual Spartans, or the Battle of Thermopylae? He wouldn't lay down his arms. Never. If anything about that scene gets you, it's the fact that he misses. Of course, that's all based on historical fact, so I can't complain. But thematically, Leonidas should have pinned Xerxes to his throne.

Signs - The alien walking by in the video footage. Hell yeah...I said it.

Scary movies never really scare me and this scene gives me the creeps so fucking bad I want to tear my skin off and kill myself, just so that alien doesn't have the pleasure.

Alien

Not the chestburster scene, but when Dallas is in the vents and Lambert and Ripley see the Alien coming up behind him, then Dallas turns around and hellooooo Alien!

That scene scares the shit out of me

- Rocky

When Rocky knocks down Apollo out of nowhere in the first round and everyone goes crazy

-Dazed and Confused

When Wooderson, Mitch and Pink walk into the Emporium with Bob Dylan's The Hurricane playing in the background

- Karate Kid

The music building up then exploding at the end when the crane kick hits, this aaaaaaaaalways gives me the chills it's so good

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Wages of Fear:

The old guy getting run over in the oil puddle.

The first truck exploding.

That entire journey is the most viscerally tense thing ever committed to film.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

There are probably about a thousand things that make that scene so awesome, but my favorite is the looks on his face when he realizes they're sunk. Starts with surprise and desperation, and then goes to that look of anger when he realizes he's finally failed and been had by his own men and family after a lifetime of conquering and fucking people up. Evolves through to despair when he can't even kill himself. It's like his two biggest failures hit him at the same time, and leave him totally ruined. So he's all.."fuck it. kill me then" and walks out only to scare the shit out of two bloodthirsty armies covered in gore.

In Ran? Yeah. And the little bit right before that where all the geishas are trying to block the hallway... so the soldiers just mow them down in a barrage of musket fire. Also the part where he's staring in horror at the guy who he had blinded as a kid, that always got to me.

The Ring. Damn near the whole movie. The VHS tape, as described by the tech guy in the movie, was doing a lot of physically impossible shit, but it's stated in such an obscurely detailed manner that only obsolete old video nerds like me would recognize just how fucked up it was. Plus, scary little girls and homicidal/suicidal/genocidal horses. And most of all, that sudden no-warning flashback to the mother finding the first victim, GOD that scared the shit out of me, maybe the most horrifying image in the whole movie right in the middle of a dull scene where you weren't expecting shit.

Phantom of the Opera, the original (fuck a bunch of stupid remakes), when Lon Chaney's mask gets ripped off. You just aren't expecting makeup to look like that in such a creepy old movie, plus the expression on his face.

When the Bride first sees her daughter in Kill Bill 2. Also, when we learn her (unlikely, but perfect) name.

When the schoolbus crashes in The Sweet Hereafter and then stops on top of the frozen lake for a few seconds, and THEN goes under.

The middle third of The Descent, after they realize they're lost and before they meet the monsters. Just fuckin' creepy to think about being trapped in a strange cave, and you keep hearing faint noises in the distance...

The ludicrously violent first ten minutes of Saving Private Ryan.

The shark vs. deadite scene in Zombie, and the part where the undead Conquistadores arose, and the ending with the horde of the zombies on the Brooklyn Bridge.

I hated most of The English Patient, but when Ralph Fiennes finally says his name, and you realize he's German, and that he's completely fucked because of it.

The impossibly happy ending to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Wasn't expecting that from Charlie "Doomsday" Kaufman, who also made another chill moment with John Cusack's hellish fate at the end of Being John Malkovich. .

Julianne Moore's outta-nowhere death in Children of Men. Well, truthfully, that whole movie.

The incredibly bleak ending to Brazil.

Ozymandias in Watchmen saying "I did it 24 minutes ago." Aw, wait, dammit, that's just one I've dreamed about seeing.

Alien

Not the chestburster scene, but when Dallas is in the vents and Lambert and Ripley see the Alien coming up behind him, then Dallas turns around and hellooooo Alien!

That scene scares the shit out of me

Ditto. Also, Aliens, the ending, what with the power loader and the Bitch Get Away and all that.

Dirty Harry on the bridge waiting for the bus.

The ending of Halloween.

The Departed when Damon calls Dicaprio but neither of them speak.

Can we bold the movie and leave a little space before we go into the actual moment? That would make it easier for me to skip over posts of movies I plan on seeing sometime soon.

Memento

When Guy Pierce's character finally realizes that it's just a never ending cycle, and that he isn't really killing John G but is just giving himself a purpose because he has nothing left.

In Oldboy, when Oh Dae-Su realizes he's fucking his daughter.

The ending get me more. Like, no matter what, its pretty fucked up.

How the balls could I forget Memento...

Young Guns, when Billy finds out that McClosky (sp) is a Murphy spy and shoots him on the spot.

Tombstone "You tell 'em I'm coming! And Hell's coming with me you hear! Hell's coming with me!"

Tombstone: The scene where Doc kills Johnny Ringo

Braveheart: When William Wallace yells out freedom as he's dying

and because I'm so gay. The ending of The Notebook

Tombstone: The scene where Doc kills Johnny Ringo

You're no daisy! You're no daisy at'all.

Hells yeah. That scene made the movie for me. basically anything Kilmer did in that movie was awsome.

I was watching The Long Kiss Goodnight recently w/Geena Davis Samuel L. Jackson which came out in 1996

Perkins: World Trade Center bombing, remember? During the trial, one of the bombers claimed the CIA had advance knowledge. The diplomat who issued the terrorists' visa was CIA. It's not unthinkable they paved the way for the bombing, purely to justify a budget increase.

Charly: You're telling me you're going to fake some terrorist thing just to scare some money out of Congress?

Perkins: Unfortunately, Ms Henessey, I have no idea how to fake killing 4000 people, so we're just going to have to do it for real. Blame it on the Muslims, Then I get my funding.

I had to rewind to make sure i heard it correctly but it really freaked me the hell out.

The Conversation when Gene Hackman walks onto the balcony and the very second he walks out, a body and blood slams against the wall between him and the next door causing him to go mental.

The Shawshank Redemption when they reunite.

Sleepaway Camp

The ending when Angela stands up and you see that SHE is really a HE!

The Natural: Final scene where Roy Hobbs hits the game winning three run homer off the lights in center right field. The awesome music by Randy Newman definitely gave me chills.

The Quick and the Dead: One of my top 5 favorite films. I get chills when there is the duel between Herod and the Kid right before they draw. You pretty much know the Kid is screwed but the first time I saw this scene I was on the edge of my seat.

For the Love of the Game: Kevin Costner film from the late 1990s I believe. I got major chills when he's in the ninth inning with two outs and throws the last pitch to attempt a perfect game in his last major league appearance.

The Shawshank Redemption: The ending is classic. Arguably the best movie never to win the Oscar for Best Picture.

The Wedding Singer: One of Adam Sandler's best films. I got chills in one of the last scenes where he sings to Drew Barrymore's character on the plane.

as far as classics go:

Gone with the Wind--when Rhett tells Scarlett "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn." After watching everything they went through, it's a definite holy shit moment.

Casablanca--The ending where Rick gives up Ilsa

The Maltese Falcon--Finding out the Falcon was a fake

Sports movies:

Pride of the Yankees--"Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth." I knew it was coming, but still, the baseball mark in me still shed a tear. :)

Field of Dreams--Ray finding his father out on the field. It still chokes me up honestly because I have such vivid memories of playing catch with my father and we just don't do that anymore.

meh, I've got more, I'll just list them later as they come to me