TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

2007 Bored's College Football Pick 'Em Sign Up Thread

I knew you were all on the edge of your seat wondering if the second most populer football contest in TSM history would come back for a 4th season? Okay maybe not. Even if you didn't want it, its back.

After expanding from 32 teams to 34 teams in 2005 and then to 40 teams in 2006 I've decided to put a cap at 40 teams this year and if we end up with fewer teams that is fine. The prize is still the same, the winner of the contest will receive $50 cash. I also will have the same challenge as last year, if someone can finish the season undefeated they will win $100.

Just a quick overview for anyone who hasn't participated before and is interested in signing up, each player will represent a Division I-A school and match-up head-to-head each week with another poster. I will select 14 games from the college schedule each week and you will pick the winners for each game. I avoid picking games that are obvious blowouts and I do pick a few games from the non-BCS conferences but I try to avoid Sun Belt games at all cost. There will be two tiebreak questions every week, #1 always asking for the total score from a key game that week, and #2 asking how many yards a star player will have that week. The regular season is 12 weeks long, then follows the conference championships that will match-up the 1st and 2nd place teams from each conference. Like last year the conference championships will take place over a two week span and will include 20 games. After that of course comes the bowl season where if eligible you play in a bowl game and pick all the winners from the entire bowl season.

Each week there are typically two deadlines for making your picks. I will typically try to include either the Thursday or Friday ESPN game along with the Saturday games. If you don't get your picks in prior to the Thursday or Friday kick off you can not earn a point for those games. If you do not submit your picks prior to the Noon EST/9:00 AM PST kick off on Saturday you will be assigned replacement picks. You will be assigned the picks of similarly ranked team for that week and teams using replacement picks can not win by tiebreak. You are allowed to use replacement picks only once during the season and still be eligible to win the contest, although you can still participate in bowl games. You will not be eligible to win the $100 undefeated prize if you use replacement picks at any point in the season.

After each week is completed, I post the Bored Championship Series Rankings which of course is a spoof of the real life rankings. The rankings are based on three factors 1) Win/Loss Record, 2) Pct of Games Picked Correctly, 3) Pct of Games Picked Correclty by Opponent aka "Strength of Schedule." It was originally intended to create completely fucked up results but with money involved people took it seriously. So I've made adjustments over the years, just like the real BCS, and this year I've made another change. The past two seasons Win/Loss Record and Correct Pick % were weighted evenly but now I've decided in order to mimic real life a little more (and stop some of the whining) Win/Loss Record will be the primary factor in your ranking. Your ranking in Win/Loss record will now be 65% of your BCS ranking, Correct Pick % will be 30% of your ranking, and "Strength of Schedule" will now only be 5% of your ranking.

Now for veterans of the contest you know that the each winner of the prior year's bowl games have the option of renaming the bowl game you won, the only one that can't renamed is the Bored Bowl but the sponsorship can be changed. If you want to change the name of your bowl game please PM me, or if you don't want to let me know as well. I'll probably send a reminder PM to those who won once we get closer to the season. Here's last year's winners:

Pepsi Blue Bored Bowl: iggymcfly

Traditional Bowl presented by the Yellow Submarine: Vern Gagne

TheSWF.com Dust Bowl: Cuban Linx

Out Magazine Bowl: CanadianChris

Williams Games SinisTar Bowl: Me

KFC PETA Bowl: noogoodnick

Ex-Lax Toilet Bowl: Urban Warfare

FireJoeMorgan.com Bowl: teke184

Meow Mix Pussy Bowl: Art Sandusky

Now for the sign ups. We have 33 holdovers from last year with one alternate. kkktookmybabyaway filled in last year when someone dropped out after one week and he'll serve as fill in again if we have an early drop out or if I need one more player to get an even number of teams. I have to end up with an even number of teams for scheduling purposes, again with a cap at 40 teams.

For all sign ups please post in this thread what team you want to represent and it must be a Division I-A school. It is first come, first serve and holdovers can change their school if they want to. If any holdovers do not want to participate this year please let me know.

When a player has signed up they will be bolded.

Holdovers

Alabama - AlwaysPissedOff

Arizona - UZI Suicide

Arizona State - Spicy McHaggis

Auburn - Tzar Lysergic

Ball State - Vampiro69

Buffalo - Carnival

Florida - Urban Warfare

Florida State - King

Georgia Tech - iggymcfly

Hawaii - Fokai

Kent State - JHawk

Kentucky - Danville Wrestling

LSU - teke184

Miami - Spaceman Spiff

Miami of Ohio - Hawk 34

Minnesota - Vern Gagne

Notre Dame - Lando Griffin

Ohio - Will Scarlet

Ohio State - Gert T

Oklahoma - Secret Agent

Oregon - nogoodnick

Rutgers - the pinjockey

San Diego State - the walkin' dude

South Carolina - Cuban Linx

Stanford - Bored

Syracuse - CanadianChris

Temple - Ortonsault

Tennessee - Art Sandusky

Texas - UTBroward

UCLA - phoenixrising

USC - Cartman

UTEP - Angel Grace Blue

Virginia - Edwin MacPhisto

New Sign Ups

Boise State - Vitamin X

Boston College - HarleyQuinn

Michigan - MFerXtreme87

Nebraska - Mecca

N.C. State - AboveAverage484

Penn State - therealworldschampion

TCU - Nate

Washington - Smues

Alternates (if any spots open)

KingPK

kkktookmybabyaway

I'm back. Any chance I can switch my team to the Ohio Bobcats?

If it's cool Bored, can I then take Hawai'i?

Done and done.

I was the University of Kentucky last year but my school, Western Kentucky University, is on Division I-A experimental status this year. Can I be Western Kentucky instead of UK for this season?

If not being UK is fine and I'm happy to rejoin this years contest.

Guest Vitamin X

If nogoodnick decides not to return, I'll take Oregon. If he does, I'll be glad to resume (I'm surprised you didn't say I was a holdover- I'm pretty sure I've been Florida International the past couple years) as Boise State. BLUE TURF NIGGA WHUT.

When I was checking the old threads from the end of the year you hadn't submitted picks the last couple of weeks of the season so I figured you lost interest so that's why I left you off but you're in as Boise State.

Guest Vitamin X
When I was checking the old threads from the end of the year you hadn't submitted picks the last couple of weeks of the season so I figured you lost interest so that's why I left you off but you're in as Boise State.

Yeah I was in the process of moving across the country at the time. Sorry! But yeah, good enough.

If there's room I'll play.......provided I don't have to contribute money which I don't believe it says LOL...

If the USC guy doesn't resign up I want to represent them however if he does I'll uh think of another team.

Unless I say otherwise for new sign ups or holdovers wanting to change schools just assume you can. But yes anyone can put in a claim to another team that's already taken by a holdover but please come up with a second option.

I should note that after the 7th new sign up I can't guarentee any other new sign up a spot since if every holdover signs up that would give us 40 teams. But there's always a least a couple of holdovers who don't return.

You need to step off of that. It's time to finally let me have my team for a change! I've been waiting for 3 years.

If you want OU bad enough, I will change mine to Ball State and let you have the Sooners.

I'm back in. Hopfully we can have a good enough season to make the bowl season instead of losing out on tie breakers.

You need to step off of that. It's time to finally let me have my team for a change! I've been waiting for 3 years.

If you want OU bad enough, I will change mine to Ball State and let you have the Sooners.

Really? Okay, I'll do it, thanks!!