TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boxer

Rush Hour 3

So with the long awaited, although not too sure if it is highly anticipated, this move is finally coming out after 6 years. Did anyone else like Parts 1 and 2? If you have seen the trailer it's got the similar humour from part 1 and 2 with a few new things added. It's coming out August 10 incase you don't know the release date.

They waited WAY too long. Jackie Chan's star has cooled off in America (he's probably still a god in Asia) and Chris Tucker's done, what, two movies since RH2?

I just looked up his IMDB page. He hasn't done anything since the second one? WTF?

As I recall, Chris Tucker intentionally doesn't work much because he realized that he only works in small doses. He doesn't want people to get sick of him. But doing Rush Hour exclusively doesn't seem like a good idea.

From the trailer it seems to be that it's been so long since the last one that they think they can almost word for word recycle the old jokes.

They waited WAY too long. Jackie Chan's star has cooled off in America (he's probably still a god in Asia) and Chris Tucker's done, what, two movies since RH2?

I just looked up his IMDB page. He hasn't done anything since the second one? WTF?

and yet he didn't want to play Smokey in the Friday sequels because he was afraid of being typecast

So did Chris Tucker all of sudden find religion like Dave Chappelle did and decided to only work when Chris Rock isn't? I doubt that this will be any different or better than Rush Hour 2 or New Police Story but then again I can never get enough of the Michael Jackson jokes from Chris Tucker.

As I recall, Chris Tucker intentionally doesn't work much because he realized that he only works in small doses. He doesn't want people to get sick of him. But doing Rush Hour exclusively doesn't seem like a good idea.

I thought it was no one willing to pay the amount of money he thinks he's worth... which is the only reason he gets the Rush Hour films now.

Supposedly he demands anywhere from $18-27 million per picture now.

Are we talking about the same Chris Tucker?

His best stuff was as Ruby Red in The Fifth Element. Seriously... it was.

I'm looking forward to it, but I kind of think it'd been to long since the second one. I don't think it'll do that well but I think it'll be solid.

For someone who demands $18-$27m per picture, I'd be surprised to see a film of his even gross that much.

He's not even a good actor. All he does is talk rapidly and yell.

I read Chan wanted Tony Jaa (Ong Bak, The Protector) to be in it, but he had to decline due to scheduling issues. Which is just as well, really. Sharing the screen with a young dynamic star like Jaa would just be another reminder of how watered down Chan has become.

As for Tucker, I agree he's mad if he thinks anyone, apart from Ratner, will pay him $20 million for a movie. Then again Uma Thurman got something like $15 million for Kill Bill, and this was when she hadn't had a hit in years.

I have to disagree on the Tony Jaa issue. Chan has had his moment, he's old. He's got money, he's a legend (a god, really). He can still act, if he wants, and if people find him charismatic and interesting despite his physical limitations, which I do, and some Americans do, and a lot of Asians probably do, that's fine. Supporting the next generation is only a positive.

I have to disagree on the Tony Jaa issue. Chan has had his moment, he's old. He's got money, he's a legend (a god, really). He can still act, if he wants, and if people find him charismatic and interesting despite his physical limitations, which I do, and some Americans do, and a lot of Asians probably do, that's fine. Supporting the next generation is only a positive.

I appreciate that the guy is older now, so he's not able to do what he used to. But his choice in movie roles in recent years have been terrible and I think that's what's tarnished his legacy a lot. He's been in some high profile turkies (the tuxedo, the medallion) and even the ones that have made money have been rubbish (shanghai nights, rush hour) and all the time completely phoning it it. Clearly, he's just in it for the money and has lost whatever enthusiasm he once had.

I'd compare Chan's situation to the one pro wrestlers find themselves in. Would you want to go out on top, at your peak (Austin, Rock..etc) and be remembered for your best work or keep going even though your a shell of your old self? (Flair)

Good points. Chan is pretty much on a free pass level with me, he can do whatever he wants, he's established his legacy so well. Not unlike Flair, so good comparison.

I haven't actually watched most of his recent bad movies. It's just kind of an "Ok, that won't be good... But hey, Jackie Chan!" vibe now.

As big of a star as he is in his home market, I'm fairly certain he doesn't need to work ever again, so I dunno about him being in it for the money. He might be making movies just to pass the time, but whatever.

Speaking of Jaa, I thought that nod to Chan in the Protector (the run-in if anybody knows what I'm talking about) was nice.

Speaking of Jaa, I thought that nod to Chan in the Protector (the run-in if anybody knows what I'm talking about) was nice.

Yeah, that was one of the best parts of the movie. That, and the baby elephant getting thrown through a window.

What made Rush Hour 2 work was that it had one of the hot up and comer stars in it as the villain that being Zhang Ziyi from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. It seemed that Rush Hour 3 tried to do the same this time but Tony Jaa but for whatever reason he turned them down so that leaves them with what, Vinny F'N Jones. I don't know about you but I don't think its going to work unless someone else in the cast steals the show.

The thing with Jackie Chan movies of the past is that generally you knew the plot and overall acting was going to be bad very bad but it was from Hong Kong so it gets a pass cause it has the Asian charm and anything not from Hollywood is suppose to be good, right. But now that he crossed over he has to work with people expecting him to act + bad scripts + insurance companys + stunt men + old age which gave us big budget bad movies.

I'd compare Chan's situation to the one pro wrestlers find themselves in. Would you want to go out on top, at your peak (Austin, Rock..etc) and be remembered for your best work or keep going even though your a shell of your old self? (Flair)

Or he could be like Terry Funk totally reinvent himself work with the best of the young talent out there and become a living god of the present instead of living in the past. Case point check out SPL: Killzone where both Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung redefine the martial arts action genre.

I'm still of the thought this is going to be one of the big summer bombs when all is said and done (not even as good in comparison to Almighty, probably pulling about 40-50 million total, if that). I wasn't looking forward to it even before I saw the trailer, as they held off way too long on another one, and Chan nor Tucker have been in ANYTHING successful since the previous one. Plus the trailer doesnt even make the film look that great. This will be a rental for sure, if that. And I actually did enjoy the other two Rush Hour films, but this just seems to be Rush Hour Extended Edition or something.

Jaa was too busy filming ong bak 2, which was why he had to turn it down. That said, his english isn't up to scratch yet, which might have been a factor.

I think Chan should continue acting, but step away from action films. He's done dramatic roles before, and I'm sure he wants to direct again.

I still want to see a Chan/Jet Li flick, old school good vs. evil. I think I read somewhere they were working on a movie together or will be soon...not sure if it's good vs. evil, however. Oh, and nothing slapsticky like Rumble in the Bronx or completely hokey like Romeo Must Die...an asian version of Heat would be nice, with just a little bit of Martial Arts mixed in.

EDIT: meh...sounds like they're doing a kiddy related movie:

The Forbidden Kingdom

An old school police/crime drama with Chan as an old vetera cop against criminal mastermind Li would be fabulous.

I think if anything this movie will make bank on curiousity alone. I say it goes over $100 million easy. It's at the end of the summer, where Bourne will still be new, but not much else. I wasn't dying for another Rush Hour after so long, but it's not a sequel as unnecessary as say like Barbershop 2. It's an action franchise, it'll have a couple fun moments worth the price of the ticket.