TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Major restaurants and stores not in your area?

7-11 tends to stay out of the upper middle class areas. At least that's the way it is around here.

Guest Vitamin X

I miss Del Taco, although they claim to be in Oregon, they're in a shit tweaker part of town, so no go for me.

I'd like a Dave & Buster's, though I suppose they're not all that huge. I don't think I've seen a TGI Friday's here, although I haven't really cared to look either since I don't care for their food.

Just to name a few. 7-11, Dunkin Donuts, Jack in the Box.

All of those, but damnit we have 4 Subways. We just got a Carl's Jr/Hardee's a couple months ago.

No Chick-Fil-A, no Del Taco, no Jack-in-the-Box, no Boston Market. However, we do have a Big Boy.

No Sonic's, Popeye's Chicken, Hardee's, Boston Market or Dave and Buster's. I would kill for a Popeye's Chicken. I love that stuff.

I think all of the Red Lobsters in the area closed too. Which makes a lot of since we're in Maine and can get damn good local seafood at the same price. Wonder why they even bothered opening up here in the first place.

Guest Smues

A month ago Dairy Queen would be on my list, but we just got one.

Jack-in-the-Box, Sonic, Krispee Kreme, 7-11, Target, any chain grocery store not named Safeway, Taco Time, Dave & Busters.

Just realized that we are also missing Sonic, White Castle, and Popeye's. We actually don't have a CostCo or a Circuit City in the state either to my knowledge.

The only one I actually miss is Chick-Fil-A.

And honestly, I can't think of many more. This is a pretty well saturated part of the country. We don't have White Castle or their doppelganger Krystal's though. I like those places, but everyone assures me the reason I like them is because I can only eat at them once every year or so. There's like one Long John Silver's here, too, and it's an hour away. Same deal with them. Fuck Long John Silver's.

Guest Vitamin X

I don't think Jack in the Box, Carl's Jr., or White Castle should be included as major chain stores considering that they really are more regional things for the moment. Like Waffle House and shit.

Jack in the Box got a really bad reputation in the early nineties because several people got E. Coli from them. But they are an outstanding fast food chain. Part of that may in fact be due to their overcompensating for getting such a terrible reputation.

Arby's as well, developed a reputation as being utter shit, and they were like "Arby's? Shit? Oh hell no!" and really brought their A game. JITB and Arby's both are high end places now. Largely from Arby's Market Fresh line, which is quality stuff, and JITB doing their 100% sirloin burger deal. Still, a lot of people around here love JITB, and regularly raid their value menu. Plus they serve breakfast all day.

There's plenty of Sheetz stores, a Dairy Queen, McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell, etc.. What we don't have, that I would like, is a Potbelly's, Fuddrucker's, and Chipotle.

I miss the artery clogging burgers available at Hardees from the year I lived in NC.

I've never been to Sonic, White Castle, Jack in the Box.

There are both Sheetz and Wawa's in PA, where I grew up.

Jack in the Box got a really bad reputation in the early nineties because several people got E. Coli from them. But they are an outstanding fast food chain. Part of that may in fact be due to their overcompensating for getting such a terrible reputation.

Arby's as well, developed a reputation as being utter shit, and they were like "Arby's? Shit? Oh hell no!" and really brought their A game. JITB and Arby's both are high end places now. Largely from Arby's Market Fresh line, which is quality stuff, and JITB doing their 100% sirloin burger deal. Still, a lot of people around here love JITB, and regularly raid their value menu. Plus they serve breakfast all day.

I think a tonne of that had to do with that Simpsons line. I never ever got the hate for Arby's. Two of my buddies insist on going to the Arby's near my house every time they visit, and it's not like they're that far away. They both live about 30 mins away, and typically come to St. Kitts about once a week.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh another good one from the Texas/Southern region of the country is Whataburger. Their jalapeno burgers are DELICIOUS.

Let's be honest it's the fucking tacos...I swear there is heroin in those things/

Guest •

How far-reaching is White Castle? I always thought it was just the midwest.

My concern is that there are too many major restaurants and stores in the area, at the expense of our local businesses. Macy's is still having trouble here because everyone resents them getting rid of Marshall Field's. As a result, they've been having some ridiculous sales, and I got a really nice wool jacket last year at like 40% off.

I think White Castle might be a national thing. There are several of them scattered throughout Brooklyn.

Guest Vitamin X

White Castle is most definitely not a national thing. It sticks to the Midwest, Mid-Atlantic, and New England regions.

US_map.jpg

"Retail Locations Only" means that it's available in supermarkets and such, which I can't for the heart of me count as the actual thing.

My concern is that there are too many major restaurants and stores in the area, at the expense of our local businesses.

We seem to have kind of the exact opposite problem here- outside business, restaurants, and stores have difficulty finding clientele or a lack of opposition to their coming here (especially Wal-Mart!) which, while I love the local flavor and uniqueness of it all, kind of sucks for the local economy since they do bring in jobs and money, often times more than the local businesses.

Fuck a Starbucks, though. They're more of a real estate company than a coffee one.

Don't forget, though, that Krystal is the exact same fucking thing as White Castle, and they're in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas. So most of the eastern half of the country have one or the other. It's interesting that White Castle is the oldest fast food chain in the country, and Krystal is the second oldest. Is that what people's conception of hamburgers was like in the old days?

Bonanza Steakhouse still around anywhere?

We still have a couple of them around in the upper midwest. We also have their knockoff version Ponderosa as well.