TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

The sports coverage and announcing thread

Both positive and negative aspects of all sports coverage and media representation of sports.

I happened to catch an inning or two of Sunday Night baseball while eating dinner and I was pleased to hear Harry Kalas in the booth. The man was born to call baseball games.

Keith Hernandez (who broadcasts for SNY) is a pretty terrible color guy. He'll spend half the game rambling on about stuff unrelated to baseball - for example, during today's Mets game he spent nearly a full half inning fondly remembering the Addams Family and the Flintstones. He's not bad when he actually does pay attention to the game, but it doesn't appear to be his main concern most of the time. Ron Darling's a lot better.

I might be the only one but I really like Greenberg and Golic calling AFL games. Way better than Trey Wingo and DA STINK.

Give me Gus Johnson announcing. It wouldn't matter if it was Scrabble, if he was announcing it I would watch it.

Guest •
Give me Gus Johnson announcing. It wouldn't matter if it was Scrabble, if he was announcing it I would watch it.

BATISTA WITH THE CAAAAAAAAAAAAAATCH

HAHAAAAAAA

YES has a nice cast, overall. Joe Girardi is absolutely fantastic. I thought the retirement of Jim Kaat would leave a huge void, but Girardi hasn't missed a beat. John Flarhety has come into his own this year. Michael Kay can be repetitive in his delivery (a lot of people hate his guts, but I like the guy), but the way the guys in the booth play off of each other when Kay is there makes for a much better flow. You also have Singleton and Murcer who are good personalities as well.

Keith Hernandez (who broadcasts for SNY) is a pretty terrible color guy. He'll spend half the game rambling on about stuff unrelated to baseball - for example, during today's Mets game he spent nearly a full half inning fondly remembering the Addams Family and the Flintstones. He's not bad when he actually does pay attention to the game, but it doesn't appear to be his main concern most of the time. Ron Darling's a lot better.

I don't mind when announcers talk about non-baseball stuff.

Rogers Sportsnet is really the worst channel ever. Their ticker has been mispelling Rick Tocchet's name as 'Tochet' all night, almost every day there's some fucked up <bold> tag in there, and I think I just heard some guy say Toronto FC is 'ridiculed' with injury. Even their eye candy is nothing special, Evanka Osmak being especially awful.

Harry Neale doesn't know anyone outside of the Leafs.

It's really hard to decide what to listen to for Canucks coverage when Jim Hughson is doing TV and John Shorthouse is doing radio.

TSN is really cheap when they simulcast things like hockey games from OLN.

Also regarding Sportsnet: Every baseball player from Canada is labled 'Canadian *whoever*'. Canadian Justin Mourneau, Canadian Jason Bay, anyone who is remotely Canadian has it thrown in front of their name. TSN and TheScore have this problem a bit, too, but Sportsnet seems to be worse.

I wish both Dennis Eckersley and Dave O'Brien got more face time on NESN and the radio broadcasts respectively. I know O'Brien still has ESPN committments, but I'd pay him whatever he wants to get out of them and save us from the insufferable Glen Geffner, who sounds like he just stepped out of a minor-league booth.

Eck is just great to listen to when he breaks down the game. He'd be such a great addition to Baseball Tonight.

Edited by KingPK

Give me a break....Keith Hernandez, Ronny Darling and Gary Cohen have to be one of the best, if not the best , color team in baseball. They give extremely good insight and are pretty impartial to the Mets. Everyone in N Y pretty much agrees they are MUCH better then the Yankees announcers of Kay & etc.

As the game got out of hand last night, Kay and Flahrety were discussing who's helmet is dirtier, Orlando Cabrera's or Vlad Guerrero's. Kay first argued for Cabrera, because the pine tar on his was much thicker on the front. Flahrety said Guerrero, because while Cabrera's was very thick on front, Guerrero's pine tar wrapped around the entire helmet rather than being concentrated in one spot. Eventually Kay agreed.

Before either could speak again, Garret Anderson hit a grand slam.

As the game got out of hand last night, Kay and Flahrety were discussing who's helmet is dirtier, Orlando Cabrera's or Vlad Guerrero's. Kay first argued for Cabrera, because the pine tar on his was much thicker on the front. Flahrety said Guerrero, because while Cabrera's was very thick on front, Guerrero's pine tar wrapped around the entire helmet rather than being concentrated in one spot. Eventually Kay agreed.

Craig Biggio's smokes both of theirs.

I'm torn when it comes to Canadian broadcasting and baseball. I like Jim Hughson for baseball and cannot stand Rod Black. Something about that man just bothers me. Jamie Campbell keeps improving on sportsnet although he still has a very long way to go. Pat Tabler sounds like someone you would get a lecture from at a library. While watching the A's/Jays game the other night, i listened to him ramble on for about 5 minutes explaining the definition of a slurve as a curve ball/slider combination.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad
Every baseball player from Canada is labled 'Canadian *whoever*'. Canadian Justin Mourneau, Canadian Jason Bay, anyone who is remotely Canadian has it thrown in front of their name.

I wonder how CanadianGuitarist and CanadianChris feel about that.

Surprisingly indiffrerent.

I was proud when Morneau won the MVP last year. Merely saying he's Canadian at every at bat doesn't overwhelm me with pride, but it doesn't shame me or anything, either. I don't really notice it being said, to be honest.

Ok - now that someone compared ESPN to Hitler in the ESPN sucks thread, thus closing it... let's reopen this baby.

I know people were longing for a more general media analysis thread anyway and this old one should suffice.

I'll start: I hate Billy Packer and I hate the fact that I'm going to have to listen to him for 4 hours tonight.